Hm? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
07ggfa5

New

Re: A 166 Sucks: Who's with me?

Post by 07ggfa5 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:19 pm

I'll gladly take your 166...

burtonrideclub

Bronze

Post by burtonrideclub » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:24 pm

My testing history read cancel, 166, 166. I averaged around 170 and had scored as high as 175 but 166 is the score I earned and that is clearly representative of what I was capable on test day, I made it twice. However, realizing that is my fair score doesn't mean that while I was making those 170's on practice tests I wasn't peeking on law school predictor about the law schools I could get into. A 166, especially with a GPA barely above 3.5 not only leaves me out of the T14 but realistically the only chances in the T20 I have are Boston and Emory. I don't think a 166 is a bad score, and I realized how many people would be happy to have it. But for someone whose dream school was Texas, even as an in-state kid a 166 isn't good enough with my gpa for my dream school.

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:28 pm

[quote="nsinger
My suspicions are undoubtedly confirmed. Get a grip.
[/quote]

I don't get it. This guy asks a bunch of people with his score how they feel, who agree with him, then a bunch of people who dunno the situation we're in come in and disagree with us. You mean your suspicion we are jerkoffs cause we have something pretty good and wanted something better? This is largely relative. We're not holding it over other people or anything or taking it for granted like we got something we didn't "deserve." Yeah, I did do better on PTs and think I could do better on test but then I just didn't . I take responsibility, I'm not complaining about the score in the sense it's undeserved.

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:43 pm

I got a 166 last October without any real prep, and thought seriously about retaking, but I ended up getting into my top choice other than HYS. My GPA would have kept me out of HYS with any LSAT short of maybe 178, so no need for a re-take. And by the way, a 166 doesn't suck, it is like 94th percentile, lots of people would kill for that score. It won't get you into a T14 unless you have a 3.9+ or some really amazing softs, but unless you have a terrible GPA you will still have some good T30 options.

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:48 pm

-
Last edited by Core on Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:49 pm

jcl2 wrote:I got a 166 last October without any real prep, and thought seriously about retaking, but I ended up getting into my top choice other than HYS. My GPA would have kept me out of HYS with any LSAT short of maybe 178, so no need for a re-take. And by the way, a 166 doesn't suck, it is like 94th percentile, lots of people would kill for that score. It won't get you into a T14 unless you have a 3.9+ or some really amazing softs, but unless you have a terrible GPA you will still have some good T30 options.
Top choice = WUSTL?

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:49 pm

I guess I should be thankful everyone is making us feel better about ourselves. I may also just be on crazy pills cause everytime I read this thread it spirals further away from making sense.

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:09 pm

CE2JD wrote:
jcl2 wrote:I got a 166 last October without any real prep, and thought seriously about retaking, but I ended up getting into my top choice other than HYS. My GPA would have kept me out of HYS with any LSAT short of maybe 178, so no need for a re-take. And by the way, a 166 doesn't suck, it is like 94th percentile, lots of people would kill for that score. It won't get you into a T14 unless you have a 3.9+ or some really amazing softs, but unless you have a terrible GPA you will still have some good T30 options.
Top choice = WUSTL?
No, University of Washington. I deferred for a year and will be going next fall. The deferral was non-binding, so I naturally started thinking about a retake given that I didn't prep much before that 166. However, location was very important for me, and my wife and I decided that the benefits of a T14, outside of HYS, relative to UW would not justify leaving our friends and family and her career in Washington.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:26 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
GATORTIM wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:Hm... I don't think we even said we didn't achieve it. We're saying it's a shitty achievment and it disspoints us. I went in, I took the test, I did poorly. I don't think anyone here was saying they didn't deserve it we're just talking about how it's rough to go in, come up short (but not that short).
Perhaps, but to start posting about it on a site where 95% of people scored lower than this really makes one look like an idiot, tantamount to me driving my Lexus SUV into the slums of LA and bitching about my lack fuel efficiency to a guy digging in a dumpster; well, maybe not entirely similar, but you get the point.
If you think 95 percent of the people on this site scored lower than me, you need to poke around more. This site is in no way representative of all test takers.

We aren't really "bitching" either. We're just, us group of 166ers, discussing how awkward and disappointing of a score it is and how we wish it could have gone differently and it creates a weird spot to be in. We're not trying to flaunt it in the "slums of LA" ie. some school where a 166 would be very strong. I mean, this thread pretty much asked for all the 166 people to come in and chat it up and then you, whatever your score was, came in here after reading the "how to be an internet tough guy pragmatist/realist" hand book and decided to get all analogous on us. This thread clearly indicates the topic and we aren't subjecting people to our misery, you opted in by clicking on it (my apologies if you are in some sort of eyes open clockwork orange experiment where you must watch and participate in this thread, perhaps I am assuming too much). So, no, I do not "get your point" cause your comparison missed the mark. I guess you just aren't with us in this thread.

P.S. My score got me into a school which I'm psyched to attend and was on the top of my list before I ever started studying for the LSAT so I'm not totally humiliated or hating it. I dunno if the title means sucks as in "indicates you are a moron" or "is crappy to deal with" but I think more of the latter.
Correct, this site is not an accurate cross-section of applicants; however, I think you would be surprised with the representation of sub-166 test-takers on here.

The thead title poses a pompous question and if you don't think it draws people in other than 166ers and Malcolm McDowell, you are mistaken. Furthermore, I did not enter to be an "internet toughguy" so much as I am curious of what types post such ridiculous thread titles and to observe the ensuing train-wreck.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:33 pm

I'll go ahead and +1 this.

If I get into a T14, it will be after an extremely long cycle, which is the equivalent of Chinese water torture. So yeah, it sucks.

nsinger

New

Post by nsinger » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:34 pm

Last edited by nsinger on Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

nsinger

New

Post by nsinger » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:41 pm

Last edited by nsinger on Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:08 pm

jcl2 wrote:
CE2JD wrote:
Top choice = WUSTL?
No, University of Washington. I deferred for a year and will be going next fall. The deferral was non-binding, so I naturally started thinking about a retake given that I didn't prep much before that 166. However, location was very important for me, and my wife and I decided that the benefits of a T14, outside of HYS, relative to UW would not justify leaving our friends and family and her career in Washington.
My brother in law got into GTown and UW but eventually decided to go to UW because it was cheaper.

He couldn't find a job, so he started his own shitlaw practice in Seattle. He'll never own a home.

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:19 pm

This is ridiculous you guys!!! <i>I have a 166.</i> <b>I HAVE A 166 </b>and am absolutely thrilled to have it. So would 93-94% of the rest of the LSAT taking world!!!!

Buck up. Take a full ride at a 15-30 (and be thrilled you did, 3 years from now). Write a good personal statement. Get a graduate degree. Do something worthwhile during the wait rather than bitching on TLS -- volunteer, teach, start a company, get involved in <i>something</i>/. If you don't think your LSAT + GPA are getting you in to the T14, then it's more than the LSAT score that's wrong with your application package. And it started years ago.

But - jeez - get some perspective and get some positive vibes going.

/positive rant.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:36 pm

I wouldn't even say that a 166 is an AWKWARD score. Look at the medians! Yes, you are probably locked out of the T14 with a 166, but there are plenty of schools to target, like Illinois, Emory, Boston College, Boston University, George Washington, Notre Dame, Fordham, William and Mary, Texas, USC, Washington-Missouri, etc. They all have median LSAT scores of 167, 166, and 165.

163, on the other hand, is kind of an awkward score. Lots of schools with 161 medians and 165 medians, but not too many with 163. Colorado? American? George Mason?

So yes, a 166 sucks if you were aiming for T14 (but isn't everyone?). Relatively speaking, however, it is extremely good and it is a score that will give you a solid shot at almost EVERY T30 school outside of T14.

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:02 pm

I think a 166 is a very respectable score, but probably a little short of T14 (though I'd say you have a fighting chance at Duke, Cornell, and Georgetown PT).

I'll be honest and say that if I got a 166, I would definitely retake it, but that's because most of my PT's were 170+. But I have a friend who also studied for months before the December test and based on his PT's, he'd be thrilled with a 166.

So I guess it depends on how you were doing on your prep tests before getting a 166 for real. If you were doing much better I would definitely retake. But it's a respectable score for sure and certainly nothing to be embarrassed about.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

deathviaboredom

Bronze

Post by deathviaboredom » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:15 pm

Last edited by deathviaboredom on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:23 pm

CE2JD wrote:
jcl2 wrote:
CE2JD wrote:
Top choice = WUSTL?
My brother in law got into GTown and UW but eventually decided to go to UW because it was cheaper.

He couldn't find a job, so he started his own shitlaw practice in Seattle. He'll never own a home.
Thanks for that anecdote, but I'm still happy with my decision. Worst case, I can return to my current field with a little more upward mobility with a JD, plus my wife is pretty successful, so I'll be ok.

Also, your brother must not have done well at UW and /or sucks at looking for work and/or graduated in the last year (ITE). Even so, if he is smart and hardworking, you shouldn't be so pessimistic about his future.

picardb2

New

Post by picardb2 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:27 pm

Two words: Soul Man

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:58 pm

jcl2 wrote:Thanks for that anecdote, but I'm still happy with my decision. Worst case, I can return to my current field with a little more upward mobility with a JD, plus my wife is pretty successful, so I'll be ok.

Also, your brother must not have done well at UW and /or sucks at looking for work and/or graduated in the last year (ITE). Even so, if he is smart and hardworking, you shouldn't be so pessimistic about his future.
Best of luck man.

At least now you can't say, "nobody warned me."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:49 pm

CE2JD wrote:
jcl2 wrote:Thanks for that anecdote, but I'm still happy with my decision. Worst case, I can return to my current field with a little more upward mobility with a JD, plus my wife is pretty successful, so I'll be ok.

Best of luck man.

At least now you can't say, "nobody warned me."
Yes he can.....CE2JD=Nobody :wink:
Last edited by GATORTIM on Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:33 pm

A 3.8+/166 will give you a shot at Cornell or Northwestern (WL->in with WE), and a 3.85+/166 will give you a shot at UVA (in with ED).
Last edited by im_blue on Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:41 pm

gymboree wrote:This is ridiculous you guys!!! <i>I have a 166.</i> <b>I HAVE A 166 </b>and am absolutely thrilled to have it. So would 93-94% of the rest of the LSAT taking world!!!!

Buck up. Take a full ride at a 15-30 (and be thrilled you did, 3 years from now). Write a good personal statement. Get a graduate degree. Do something worthwhile during the wait rather than bitching on TLS -- volunteer, teach, start a company, get involved in <i>something</i>/. If you don't think your LSAT + GPA are getting you in to the T14, then it's more than the LSAT score that's wrong with your application package. And it started years ago.

But - jeez - get some perspective and get some positive vibes going.

/positive rant.
I am also pleased with my 166, but I don't believe it will get me a full ride at a 15-30 even with my 4.0. In that range I applied to U of Illinois, Alabama and Wake Forest so hopefully one of them will love me.

lightbulb1986

Bronze

Post by lightbulb1986 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:49 pm

Last edited by lightbulb1986 on Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”