2010 February Study Group

TheTopBloke

Re: 2010 February Study Group

Postby TheTopBloke » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:22 pm

februaryftw wrote:Not sure what everyone else's schedule is like, but between school and holidays my lsat studying for the next two weeks will be pretty uneven. Does anyone have any thoughts on which of the 3 sections is most prone to rust if not practiced?

Intuitively, I think I'd be fine putting aside the LR and RC sections and just drilling LG when I don't have time to do full tests; the kinds of things you need to do to stay sharp for the LG section seem more particular to me, while the LR and RC comp stuff seems pretty fixed in my head.

I am pretty damn good at LG, and I took my first PT this last Sunday since the real deal in Sept 09. I simply couldnt think, but I'm confident it will all come back to me by Feb 2010. So for me, it's LG.

flimflam16

Postby flimflam16 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:00 pm

I'm in for February...for now. I honestly don't know what to think about my performance on the first four sections of this month's test, but by the time I got to section 5 (RC), my mind just went numb. I don't know how much this will affect my score, but I've already registered for February just because if I do end up taking it again, I'd like to do it 5 minutes from my house (rather than almost an hour away, like last time).

My stats: 3.38 undergraduate GPA, 4.0 in a master's program, 3.9 in a PhD program (although I didn't finish the dissertation). I had a few proctored exams in my Princeton Review prep class: started with a 157, and my last one was a 163. For a number of reasons, I will be incredibly happy if I can get that kind of score on the real thing.

dogged

Postby dogged » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:27 pm

Alright, finished my study schedule for the next month and a half. I took the test this December, but signed up for Feb regardless of what my score is to see if I can improve. I'll be taking 15 PT's (47-55, A, B, C, 39, 56, 58)...of those, the last 6 I have never seen before. My schedule will be PT, 2 days of review, PT. During the review I will going over the test, redo LG sections, cut out LR sections, and analyze mistakes.

I'm also planning on redoing each LG section since PT 19. One a day except for days I take a PT. I will be doing these single LG sections on review days. (to keep me in shape)

Each PT I will do 3 sections straight, 10min break, and then the fourth. I am also going to do 3-4 tests with a fifth section. I'll be taking each PT at a library.

For the Dec. test I did 3 months of study 1 day of review...but I've upped it to 2 days for review because I noticed jumps in my score after extensive review.

The mayhem will begin on Dec. 19th.

aether

Postby aether » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:54 pm

dogged wrote:Each PT I will do 3 sections straight, 10min break, and then the fourth. I am also going to do 3-4 tests with a fifth section.

Sounds like a good plan. My only suggestion would be to mix some of your extra LG sections into your PTs so that every PT has five sections, rather than doing 80% of your PTs with just four sections as you propose.

There is no advantage to doing short (four-section) PTs. The real LSAT always has five multiple-choice sections, and fatigue is often a factor in late-test performance. It's better to do every PTs with five full sections, so that you're practicing the same way you'll perform. For best training, put the extra section second or third rather than first or last.

Good luck!

tikiman6

Postby tikiman6 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:08 pm

Fun new idea- go back to PT's you took a long time ago (long enough that you will not remember the correct answers), and compile a test of just the questions you got wrong for LR, and the hardest LG, RC's you have taken. Then, all other tests will seem easy!

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:00 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:
birD wrote:what would be the best way to work on getting timing down. maybe doing 40 minute sections and working down from there?

definately not. Do the exact time. Don't play games. Do each section exactly 35 minutes. Simulate the conditions as accurately as possible.

Section 1
Section 2
Section 3
15 minute break
Section 4
Section 5
[strike]Writing[/strike]

ftfy

dogged

Postby dogged » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:55 am

aether wrote: My only suggestion would be to mix some of your extra LG sections into your PTs so that every PT has five sections, rather than doing 80% of your PTs with just four sections as you propose....For best training, put the extra section second or third rather than first or last.

Great advice...will do. Thanks.

birD

Postby birD » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:03 pm

in LGs, especially grouping games, how often do you make templates? I noticed in the PS setup guide they do them for almost all of them, is that what you do? It's hard for me to decide when I'm doing a game if I should make one or not because sometimes you do all the work and it's pointless. Is there a definite way to know that it's a good idea to make one?

dogged

Postby dogged » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:17 pm

Rules that are very restrictive or that become so when combined with other rules often indicate when to do this...and as a general rule of thumb you only want to do a max of 4 templates or "scenarios" (as I know them as)

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:44 pm

So my February prep officially gets going today. Been doing the bibles slowly so far and it's definitely enhanced my tutor-learning with some new little things to look at. It's amazing how much more relaxed and confident I am now than I was for September. My tutor is going to analyze my September test and we'll figure out where the mistakes fell and hopefully work to prevent them in February.

Aiming for a 165 minimum (which would be a +3 and seem attainable based on my PT's; though obviously I'd love to get a higher score than that).

birD

Postby birD » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:48 pm

I just started going through Atlas Logic Games Strategy Guide and I'm finding it to be really helpful and corresponding really well to the LGB. I highly recommend it to people who want some help with LGs! Just thought I'd give a recommendation, I'm not a troll.

februaryftw

Postby februaryftw » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:27 am

Just checking to see how others' study plans are going. I just finished the last of my non-LSAT work. Plan to start back up tomorrow with a review and some individual sections. The good news is my work the last couple weeks has been so tedious that I'm looking forward to LSAT studying.

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:19 am

Starting back up again myself, although whether or not I'll actually take the test in Feb is still to be determined. I've been surprised by enjoying it somewhat again as well. We'll see how long that lasts, heh.

CarrieMS

Postby CarrieMS » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:53 am

Just registered for the exam tonight so it looks like I'm joining you guys! I was debating between February and June. I've been going through some prep books for a while now so I think I'm gonna give it a go in February.

jjleague

Postby jjleague » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:48 am

Took a 10 day break and tested cold and scored 165, my highest yet. Of course the next test that afternoon was 158 but I had lots of distractions. I am now just trying to take about 1 test every 2 days with review in between and will start trying to find out exactly where I am screwing up. LR for me is my biggest issue. If I can get those down to -4 per section that would put me where I want to be. I have most of the PT's up to 58 and am doing 5 section test most of the time. There has been a couple of 4 section PT's only because I didn't have time to do a full 5. Confident that I can make 165, just nervous and really just want this over with so I can focus on the application steps next.

psteele99

Postby psteele99 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:09 pm

Shooting for February 2010 here too! Very excited! Took the Sept 09 and bombed :( I'm half way through the LGB and MAY get the LRBible but not sure at this point. The only problem I am really having are the assumption questions and I hate to buy the entire bible for just the assumption questions. May put off until June because my studying over the holidays has suffered, but I got back on track the last couple nights, so we'll see!!! Six weeks to go! Woot!

birD

Postby birD » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:58 pm

Took a 10 day break and tested cold and scored 165, my highest yet. Of course the next test that afternoon was 158 but I had lots of distractions. I am now just trying to take about 1 test every 2 days with review in between and will start trying to find out exactly where I am screwing up. LR for me is my biggest issue. If I can get those down to -4 per section that would put me where I want to be. I have most of the PT's up to 58 and am doing 5 section test most of the time. There has been a couple of 4 section PT's only because I didn't have time to do a full 5. Confident that I can make 165, just nervous and really just want this over with so I can focus on the application steps next.

I'm scoring pretty much the same as you in LR. what questions types are you having problems with?

nycsoul87

Postby nycsoul87 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:38 pm

Just registered for the february 2010 so I guess I'm joining this thread.

Took the LSAT twice already: a 166 in September 2009 and canceled in December. Haven't touched any material since December 5 so I'm just starting to get back into it. Shooting for a 172+ but we'll see what happens...

Not applying this cycle anyways (actually, I'm not even sure if law school's for me). basically, just wanted to see how I matched up on the LSAT.

btw, does anyone know if the countdown thread is being updated? If no one else is up to it, I can start one...

goosey

Postby goosey » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:14 am

just started studying today.

161 in june and sept. retaking feb in the hopes that I can bring that score up atleast 6 points. I feel rusty with logical reasoning, and thats probably not a good thing, considering games are what killed me both times.

In any case, Im meeting with a powerscore tutor on monday to work on games. After that, I will pound away at tests, sometimes stacking 3 or 4 LR just to get some practice.

I dont think I need to worry about timing anymore--thoughts on this? I will probably take the dec test the saturday before game-day just to get an idea of where im at, since its my only un-used test. But I dont think I will do practice tests the way I did before. I'm going to work more heavily on dissecting them.

is this a smart move or will i fail horribly

akw009

Postby akw009 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:32 pm

I seriously hope I don't have to join you all.. but part of me knows I will. I haven't seen anything since Dec 5., but will probably start up again after Christmas (12/26)

KansasSplitter

Postby KansasSplitter » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:25 pm

I'm on board for a February retake as well. I've been applying with my 163 from the June test, attempted a December retake but had to cancel due to stomach flu. I had been steady in the 167-169 range before that test, whereas I took the June version cold.

So far I'm in at Minnesota with a small scholarship. I would be perfectly happy going there, but a 5 point improvement could net me anywhere from $30,000-$60,000 in additional scholly $$$. I'd say that's worth one more month of hell/studying.

On the other hand, if I luck into a 170+ and Texas/Michigan/NYU/Georgetown come knocking, that changes things :mrgreen:

monkeyboy

Postby monkeyboy » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:34 pm

akw009 wrote:I seriously hope I don't have to join you all.. but part of me knows I will. I haven't seen anything since Dec 5., but will probably start up again after Christmas (12/26)

Actually, this question is for any who'd like to offer advice. What is the best way to study for games? I took the test on Dec 5 after working through about 10 PT's and taking 8 timed tests. In regard to logic games specifically, what is the best study method? Should I work every single game that has been published by LSAC? What is your advice?

I finished every section early except for logic games. I got to each game but was stumped on a couple of questions with two games. I obviously didn't draw the proper inferences and I just stalled due to panic. What should I do? Some of the best advice I've read recommends going through all games and working every answer choice. Anything else you guys would recommend?

Regarding a study schedule, is it wise to study games every day for a month? Would taking a one day break every 3 or 4 days be a better idea? For some reason I think so. Maybe I read that somewhere, but that's what I've started to do and it seems to make sense.

I'm applying this round but if I rock the Feb or even the June test, I'll hold off on attending and early decision at a school like Notre Dame or Vandy next fall.

Advice?

februaryftw

Postby februaryftw » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:50 pm

I've done a few PTs after a hiatus. Definitely some rust on the first two. I was slow and plodding and didn't feel as confident. By my third I was feeling better, except for the RC.

PT 23: -6 LG: - 0 LR: -3 RC: -3
PT 24: -8 LG: - 5 LR: -2 RC: -2 (Ran out of time on LG)
PT A: -4 LG: -1 LR: -0 RC: -3 (My first completely unseen test for a while, I was happy with the result; LG mistake was a list question (!), and this was my first perfect LR. LR definitely starts to become much easier and faster with practice.)

februaryftw

Postby februaryftw » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:54 pm

monkeyboy wrote:
akw009 wrote:I seriously hope I don't have to join you all.. but part of me knows I will. I haven't seen anything since Dec 5., but will probably start up again after Christmas (12/26)

Actually, this question is for any who'd like to offer advice. What is the best way to study for games? I took the test on Dec 5 after working through about 10 PT's and taking 8 timed tests. In regard to logic games specifically, what is the best study method? Should I work every single game that has been published by LSAC? What is your advice?

I finished every section early except for logic games. I got to each game but was stumped on a couple of questions with two games. I obviously didn't draw the proper inferences and I just stalled due to panic. What should I do? Some of the best advice I've read recommends going through all games and working every answer choice. Anything else you guys would recommend?

Regarding a study schedule, is it wise to study games every day for a month? Would taking a one day break every 3 or 4 days be a better idea? For some reason I think so. Maybe I read that somewhere, but that's what I've started to do and it seems to make sense.

I'm applying this round but if I rock the Feb or even the June test, I'll hold off on attending and early decision at a school like Notre Dame or Vandy next fall.

Advice?

I started out terrible on games. I did the LG Bible and drilled each type of game first. I started with sequencing, then linear, then advanced linear, then grouping, then combos. After that, it was just repetition plus review. I started from the early PTs and am working my way up, and in many cases I am simply repeating games I have done; the inferences etc. you need to draw start to fall into pattens and you start to develop the speed required to knock out four games. If I don't finish a game in less than 9 minutes and perfectly, I try to redo the game at a later point.

I think the occasional rest day is a good idea. Personally, I find that I both learn and retain things better when I take brief breaks from the material.

monkeyboy

Postby monkeyboy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:01 am

februaryftw wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:

Advice?

I started out terrible on games. I did the LG Bible and drilled each type of game first. I started with sequencing, then linear, then advanced linear, then grouping, then combos. After that, it was just repetition plus review. I started from the early PTs and am working my way up, and in many cases I am simply repeating games I have done; the inferences etc. you need to draw start to fall into pattens and you start to develop the speed required to knock out four games. If I don't finish a game in less than 9 minutes and perfectly, I try to redo the game at a later point.

I think the occasional rest day is a good idea. Personally, I find that I both learn and retain things better when I take brief breaks from the material.

Thanks. Your plan sounds sound.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”