LSAT PT 58- LR q#5 (alt med)

shilpa

LSAT PT 58- LR q#5 (alt med)

Postby shilpa » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:30 pm

I was wondering if anyone could explain the reasoning behind the answer to this question for me. It's the one about herbs and alternative medicine. I'm really just not getting why it's A and would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Highkey

Re: LSAT PT 58- LR q#5 (alt med)

Postby Highkey » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:47 pm

Hey this took me a while to figure out

But the way I understood it is that, the argument claims that there is little firm medicinal effect of these herbs, then it goes to say advocates of these herbs as remedies should always be allowed to prescribe them....since patients will not be harmed...

If you consider this...you realize that well if patients opt for herb remedies instead of more effective conventional methods then there could be a problem

Therefore (A) poses this concern by claiming that patients would give up more effective ways of treatment for herb remedies which according to the argument there is little firm evidence of their medicinal effect...

Hope you understand this...

shilpa

Postby shilpa » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:19 am

that definitely makes sense! thank you so much!

march319

Postby march319 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:07 am

Can someone please explain what exactly is wrong with choice C? I understand why A is correct though.

shilpa

Postby shilpa » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:20 am

march319 wrote:Can someone please explain what exactly is wrong with choice C? I understand why A is correct though.

I actually put C when I took this PT, so any help with this would be great

j2d3

Postby j2d3 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:19 am

This one pisses me off.

madforsadness

Postby madforsadness » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:03 am

shilpa wrote:
march319 wrote:Can someone please explain what exactly is wrong with choice C? I understand why A is correct though.

I actually put C when I took this PT, so any help with this would be great

The topic of the question is about the benefits, or otherwise, of prescribing alternative and herbal medicines.

Answer choice C just states generally that people have bad reactions to "certain medicines" that other people have no problem with - this is far too broad. If it stated that people have particularly bad reactions to some herbal/alternative medicines then it would target the argument more directly, but I think A would still be a more effective choice.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:47 pm

what about (D)? Would that not weaken it? If they are strongly driven by profit, they should NOT always be allowed to prescribe these herbs since it may harm patients by over-prescribing and thereby costing patients more money. or is harm in terms of getting overcharged outside the scope?

ND'10

Postby ND'10 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:35 pm

A- clearly weakens argument because it shows that in certain cases practitioners shouldn't give out herbal remedies, because there are other more effective medicines, making it so that they should not ALWAYS be allowed to prescribe them

C- too general, as it describes patients with reactions to "certain medicines." How do we know that those medicines include alternative medicines?

D- Outside of the scope because the stimulus didn't have anything to do with profits or the motives behind giving alternative medicines. How do we know that alternative medicines actually aren't LESS profitable than traditional methods, making practitioners less likely to give them out if this were true?

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:59 pm

ND'10 wrote:A- clearly weakens argument because it shows that in certain cases practitioners shouldn't give out herbal remedies, because there are other more effective medicines, making it so that they should not ALWAYS be allowed to prescribe them

C- too general, as it describes patients with reactions to "certain medicines." How do we know that those medicines include alternative medicines?

D- Outside of the scope because the stimulus didn't have anything to do with profits or the motives behind giving alternative medicines. How do we know that alternative medicines actually aren't LESS profitable than traditional methods, making practitioners less likely to give them out if this were true?

thanks for the response and interesting point you bring up in (D) but remember that they are placing the "profit motive" not on practitioners in general but just on "purveyors of alternative medicines" so that alternative medicine is ALL that they can prescribe so if they are driven by the profit motive, we can see how they would be driven to overprescribe herbs like crazy. also, with regards to (A), the argument bases its conclusion on the idea that patients will not be harmed and might be helped but how does (A) weaken that basis? I'm having trouble with this idea of "harming by comparison." Sure, they might not end up using the more effective conventional medicines but that won't necessarily harm them, it might just not help them as much as they could have been helped.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”