My boyfriend is completely depressed bc of LSAT, help

reasonable_man

Re: My boyfriend is completely depressed bc of LSAT, help

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:21 pm

Sounds like you need a man with a real LSAT score little lady...

Ok, couldn't resist. What he is going through is horrible. I went through it.. Its the worst. Give him some time, point out the fact that he can retake and that he has a job that is good enough for the time being, while he waits out this application period. Convince him to put the test back for a while and retake when he is 100% ready. Direct him to this site. Many of the people on here can help him get his prep in order, before he retakes.

Keep being there for him.. Its a tough thing to fail (hard), for the first time in your life.

babaghanouj

Postby babaghanouj » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:22 pm

irie wrote:i wish my gf cared this much about my lsat score...

Me: I got my lsat score today
GF: That's great! how'd you do?
Me: Pretty good! 175!
GF: Oh. What's the highest you can get?
Me: 180.
GF: Oh. Hey... can you believe Michael Jackson is dead??
Me: ...

lol

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:22 pm

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:21 pm

ahaha, owned

jgloster

Postby jgloster » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:31 pm

It's true.
Last edited by jgloster on Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:43 pm

jgloster wrote:Lol wut a gay man

this is known as epic fail

Edit: wth i typed f-a-g-g-o-t, and it changed to gay man!

Good, bigot.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:48 pm

jgloster wrote:Lol wut a person who is sexually attracted to people of his own sex.

Enjoy your time out.

shadu

Postby shadu » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:05 pm

Joan Manuel Serrat wrote:
lawschoolhelp wrote: In terms of helping him feel better, I am trying to put things in perspective. I am trying to tell him that its completely amazing that he has done so well so far and that it will be even more amazing that you could have persistence to try harder despite setbacks. I guess the best thing to tell your girlfriend is that things work out for a reason, and whatever does not kill you (not literally) just makes you stronger :)

lawschoolhelper,

You have wrong strategy here. You cannot make your men feel better about himself if you tell him platitude like "you are completely amazing" and "you do so well so far." To make thing worse, you say you tell him it would be even more (even more! EVEN MORE!) amazing if he could "have persistence to try harder despite setbacks"? Well, ok, that is cute and cuddle and Barney the Bear type of thing and everything, but that words will not help a forlorn penis grow three inches! It will not! No! Well I get ahead of myself there sometimes. I am sorry. You see I mean to say you need the help of a simple metaphor. Ask yourself a question: Does Mr. 158's carnal sausage warm the passage to your coital cottage? Or is his man-pepino like that of a china bambino? In other word, does his King Tut hail from Lilliput? This question will guide you very very farther because if you succeed in equate his 158 to a small endowment and treat matter as such, you will be able to handle situation appropriate.

You know, it seem to me like he is the type with a Peel P50 pee-pee who like to hug on to bed post and cry for hours after a session of ding-a-ling usage because it is too emotional a exercise. This is very bad problem, but luckily we using this eloquence of sexual metaphor i have develop above further: if your man has very small chorizo and he cannot satisfy but the snatch of a cabbage patch, you need to tell him so! You cannot (CANNOT!) go around say to him that he is "amazing" in bed and he will be "more amazing if he could have persistence to try harder despite his 'setback'" No, Miss! No! This will not get you the satisfaction you deserve! Lies do no build a satisfaction living! Yes, because no matter how hard he try, no matter how fast and vigorous he go, no matter how much thrust he gives it, no Gran Corona will ever look at his Rothschild without feeling disdain, pity, and the slightest hint of hilarity. The only solution: acceptance. Accept that a Sarkozy will never be a Churchill. That a Fokker will never be a MIG. That a Sting will never be a Ron Jeremy. That a Jude Law is no John Holmes. Yes yes, each has it very very good attributes, but impressive phallus endowment is not one of them. Similarly, sure your Friable-Fairy Phil was valedictorian of high school class, your Gucci-Coochie Carl was renown scholar of college, your Wimpy-Wanking Willy was successful LSAT preptest taker, but YHSCCN material he is not! Not this moment! Not with that attitude! Accept this. Tell him truths. Call him out. Tell him to be a MAN. Make him feel like that little tulip-smelling, Dora the Explorer-caressing hoyden he acts like and this will give him the motivation that he need to make himself into man he need to become to be raging successess. Or maybe it will lead him to further emasculation and pitiful onanism and maybe even some pederasty and klismaphilia on the side. Either way, there is not good use in telling him his little Trey Wingo is a mighty Mandingo.

I hope this post will help you very much. I come here to help people like you go on to very great good things.Thank you for post and please take time to read my advice. Good luck to you and to your nipper.

A+++ Would read again!

Kulax22

Postby Kulax22 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:41 pm

Yeah... "stuff" happens right?

Tell him to either take it again, OR...

This is a sign he needs another career (or that he somehow should NOT go to a good school).

Seriously.

hopingtogo

Postby hopingtogo » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:17 pm

OP, I didn't take the time to read through all the replies, so sorry in advance if I'm repeating something someone else said. I wanted to let you know that I am in a similar situation with my BF. He was doing very well on practice tests but then didn't do so well on the Sept LSAT. Problem is he does not have a good undergrad GPA like your BF; mine didn't take school seriously back in undergrad, now after years of various careers he wants to go back to school, but I'm afraid his numbers are going to be an issue. It's hard; he doesn't want to talk about it with me, all he says is, "I'm screwed." I don't know what to do.

From what you have said it seems like your BF has worked really hard and has a great background to put together a good application. Why doesn't he retake in December? (Or has the deadline to sign up passed?) Even if he doesn't retake, I still think he has a very decent shot at some good schools, albeit maybe not as much at the T10. Another option is that he can go to a lower ranked law school and apply for a transfer the following year. I know of someone who really wanted to go to UT, but blew the LSAT. He went to a lower ranked school, transferred to UT after a year, and graduated at the top of his class.

Just because he thinks he didn't do well on the LSAT doesn't mean that your BF won't be able to do well in law school. I sure hope that's not true. Despite all my studying, I couldn't score above a 160 on the LSAT last year, but here I am in law school now. And you know what? Everyone struggles, not just the people who couldn't score a 175+++ on the LSAT. The LSAT doesn't matter any more. Everyone can do the work; it's about pushing through and really devoting yourself to learning the material. So, the point is, your BF shouldn't doubt his abilities because of something like the LSAT.

Okay, sorry for sounding like an after school special. Also for the horribly incoherent writing. Anyways, I really hope your BF doesn't give up on his hopes of going to law school. I wish I had more advice to give in terms of being a girlfriend in this type of situation, but I am in dire need of help on that front too. Best of luck to you and your BF!

peeker82

Postby peeker82 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:11 pm

it's odd that he was scoring so high and crashed so horribly. I think one of 3 things may have happened. 1) he misbubbled in a section. or 2) he didn't bubble fully and his score sheet was incorrectly scored. or 3) he actually did crash under pressure. If he's confident he didn't misbubble but is still dumbfounded by the difference between his PTs and his actual score, it may be a good idea to have LSAC manually-score his test, they can do that without penalty for a small fee (can't remember how much, maybe like $20?). retaking is never a bad idea considering his PT scores. he can always write an addendum to explain his low scores if he scores well his second time around.

good luck!

PoorOrpheus

Postby PoorOrpheus » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:44 pm

This just makes me sad. :|

SpaceDawg

Postby SpaceDawg » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:05 pm

PoorOrpheus wrote:

This just makes me sad. :|

Me too.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:21 pm

OP, I did pretty much the same thing. I was practicing in the high 160s, and occasionally broke into the 170s. I got a 161 on my diagnostic and 163 on my lowest practice test ever (out of about 20). I ended up scoring a 158 due to being way to tense and nervous for the test. I finished 3 of 4 sections early and the adrenaline had me feeling great about the test, but really, I rushed through and made a TON of stupid mistakes. I don't have a high GPA, either, so getting a high score on this test was even more important to me.

As soon as I saw my score, I realized that I had put too much pressure on myself. I told myself that this one four hour test was going to turn my life around. I slacked off in undergrad, and although I have since gotten a MS and have 3 years work experience, I pretty much hate my job and my career right now. I thought I wanted to work in business...but it's not for me. Anyways, I put way too much pressure on myself. My expectations were high.

Your BF just has to get over it, and not take his results personally. The LSAT is not an IQ test--believe me. Intelligence certainly helps you, but it will only get you so far. It tests a narrow subset of logical/verbal skills: your ability to identify and focus on small verbal details, and how you apply those to simple logic. That's not a reason to discount it, though. This subset of skills are one component of what will make you a good lawyer, supposedly. Applying the appropriate level of focus is just as important as being good at reading and logic. Perhaps your BF just stressed himself out over it too much.

As far as what I recommend, I first advise him to get over himself, and take his failure like a man. He should be comfortable admitting that he failed, and realize why. If he can come to terms with his failure and admit that to his friends, it will help him lighten up about the test and realize that getting a certain score is not the end of the world. Let him experience life with the whole world knowing how poorly he did, and let him come to the realization that his life is not over, and in fact, not much has even changed. Let him take the test with lowered expectations, and see how that reduces the pressure.

Then convince him to take a month off from even thinking about the LSAT. If you are practicing in the 170s already, all you really need is minimal studying. It's more important that you relax and focus during the actual test rather than psyching yourself out and letting nerves drop your score 10 points from your PT average. Extra studying at this point may only net you one or two extra points, but extra nerves may drop you 10. Just find a balance that works for you. Learn the basics of how to diagram LG. Don't even study RC. Take one or two practice LR sections to make sure your skills are still sharp.

I'm 99th percentile when it comes to IQ, but I really failed in approaching this test. Everybody that knows me expected me to get 99th percentile on the LSAT as well. I had some high expectations from myself and others to live up to. My parents and friends were sure I was going to automatically get over a 170. I wanted to make up for not taking undergrad seriously by over-preparing for this test. But my strengths are more in understanding complex systems and seeing the "big picture." I've always been one to overlook small details and be "absent-minded," as my mind just doesn't naturally focus on things like verbal minutiae--even more so when I am under stress.

Getting a 158 has made me reconsider whether law is my best option at this point. It's certainly my most convenient, but if focusing on small details is something I can't handle under stress, than perahps I won't make a great lawyer. I'm retaking in December, and I'm simply not taking the test as seriously this time. I'm considering options other than law school, as well as thinking about cheaper law school options that don't offer the same prestige as my former targets, but offer me the chance to graduate with far less debt. As impractical as it may sound, I've been contemplating going back to school for Physics as well. I was a physics major originally, but I swiched for a number of reasons. I'd have to get a second bachelor's degree, but I can do that at night at the decent state school in my area for less than $500 a class, all while keeping my current job. It would take me 2 years, and then 5-6 years in a PhD program, but I'd likely get funding, so no additional debt. But at least I'd be doing something interesting for my career.

But I guess, the real point is to think about how your life will be okay without law school, and to consider other options. This will automatically take some of the pressure off on test day, and it will give your mind a break regarding worrying about what you get on one test. But your BF has to confront this possibility that it just wasn't meant to be, and man up, if he wants to achieve this.

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:26 pm

JCougar wrote:my strengths are more in understanding complex systems and seeing the "big picture." I've always been one to overlook small details and be "absent-minded," as my mind just doesn't naturally focus on things like verbal minutiae--even more so when I am under stress.

Getting a 158 has made me reconsider whether law is my best option at this point. It's certainly my most convenient, but if focusing on small details is something I can't handle under stress, than perhaps I won't make a great lawyer.

:shock: I'm just like you and bold part scares me to death...

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:44 pm

OP, this may have been covered, but I haven't the time nor patience to read the whole thread. The LSAT definitely does not measure intelligence (only, anyway). Of course, on average at least, there will be a disparity between someone in the 150's and someone in the 170's, but since he was dominating PT's, he just had a bad test, nothing more. Tell him to register again in December and, in the meantime, carpet bomb all the schools he would even remotely consider attending in the 1-30 range. Tell him to write an LSAT addendum about how the 158 does not reflect his abilities given that he routinely practiced in the 170's and that he would appreciate that the adcomms evaluate his 3.85 and the better future score that he knows he will achieve.

Furthermore, remind him that he has a ridiculous GPA and awesome softs, not to mention an LOR from the president of his university. As it stands, I would not be at all surprised if he could break T20 w/o the retake. Crazier things have happened. Good luck.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:54 pm

tomhobbes wrote:I don't think your boyfriend is correct that with a cancel and a 158 on his record his chances at a t10 school are shot. With a 3.85/cancel/158/172, for instance, I'm sure he'd get into somewhere good. Most schools, even the really good ones, just take the highest score, especially if there's a large gap present. Really, this kind of LSAT record would only ruin his chances at Yale, Harvard, and Stanford, I think, and maybe Columbia.

+1

HerseyChris

Postby HerseyChris » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:07 pm

ruleser wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:I don't think your boyfriend is correct that with a cancel and a 158 on his record his chances at a t10 school are shot. With a 3.85/cancel/158/172, for instance, I'm sure he'd get into somewhere good. Most schools, even the really good ones, just take the highest score, especially if there's a large gap present. Really, this kind of LSAT record would only ruin his chances at Yale, Harvard, and Stanford, I think, and maybe Columbia.

+1

Correct, I know a guy who got a cancel, 150s something, high 160s, 174, and he got good $ from GULC. I believe he would've possibly been accepted to a higher ranked school but he took that 174 in Feb or something, so his 174 didn't get him into GULC, just made them offer him $.

Tell you bf not to put so much pressure on himself. If he consistently scored in the 170 area then that's probably what did him in.

Also, give him the common schpiel about how life doesn't always go the way we want it to, but how we react and adapt to problems is what it's all about. It's corny and lame, but it's true. No one's life goes according to plan, there's always going to be a problem some way or another. If he can overcome this, he'll end up being that much stronger and better off because of it.

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:13 pm

Correct, I know a guy who got a cancel, 150s something, high 160s, 174, and he got good $ from GULC. I believe he would've possibly been accepted to a higher ranked school but he took that 174 in Feb or something, so his 174 didn't get him into GULC, just made them offer him $.

They actually offered him a scholarship but told him that they couldn't admit him?

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:24 pm

ccs1702 wrote:

They actually offered him a scholarship but told him that they couldn't admit him?

He meant he was already admitted with his old LSAT, the new LSAT got the scholly added (ie wasn't the reason he was admitted)

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:28 pm

ruleser wrote:
ccs1702 wrote:

He meant he was already admitted with his old LSAT, the new LSAT got the scholly added (ie wasn't the reason he was admitted)

Ahh..RC fail. I thought he meant that they offered him money but told him he would have to wait until the following cycle. Word.

bestusernameever

Postby bestusernameever » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:04 pm

DUDE. You are the one whose boyfriend's going to Columbia law???? YOU POSTED HERE LAST YEAR! LOL

jjman

Postby jjman » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:05 pm

TheLuckyOne wrote:
JCougar wrote:my strengths are more in understanding complex systems and seeing the "big picture." I've always been one to overlook small details and be "absent-minded," as my mind just doesn't naturally focus on things like verbal minutiae--even more so when I am under stress.

Getting a 158 has made me reconsider whether law is my best option at this point. It's certainly my most convenient, but if focusing on small details is something I can't handle under stress, than perhaps I won't make a great lawyer.

If 158 means you can't be a good lawyer then Wake Forest Graduates sorry lawyers every year. Loosen up people. This Score is really not that important. The bar exam will be far more indicative of your success. You can't practice without it! Is everyone on this forum shooting to become a law professor?

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:16 pm

jjman wrote:
TheLuckyOne wrote:

If 158 means you can't be a good lawyer then Wake Forest Graduates sorry lawyers every year. Loosen up people. This Score is really not that important. The bar exam will be far more indicative of your success. You can't practice without it! Is everyone on this forum shooting to become a law professor?

Allright, come on. This thread is practically a year old now, and I got a better score anyways. Must we resurrect these old threads? :)

But okay, this does remind me of how badly I psyched myself out over my first LSAT. Coming into the LSAT with a LSDAS GPA of under 3.0 puts a lot of pressure on you. 158 with this GPA means TTT. 168 with the same apparently means T20. 171 could easily mean T14. It's easy to think in hindsight that I shouldn't have been so upset or uptight, but there's a huge difference in career prospects. For splitters, every single point matters.

Nevertheless, the key for me to acing it was to stay off of TLS, study less, and just relax and say "fuck it" when taking the exam. On my 168, I did so bad on my first two sections that I pretty much had given up hope figuring I was going to cancel my score anyways. Turns out the first section was experimental and the second was logic games which everybody screwed up a bit. By the third section, I just didn't care anymore. But apparently that's when I started really doing well.

arjline06

Postby arjline06 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:06 am

lawschoolhelp wrote:Ok, I know this may not be the best place to find advice but I am not sure what to do. My boyfriend took the LSAT in June and cancelled because of the Dino game (apparently it screwed a lot of people up). He was scoring in the high 160's/low 170's before the June Test. Over the summer, he studied almost every weekend (we both have fairly time consuming jobs in finance, leaving the weekends the only time for him to study) and he consistently scored in the low/mid 170's (on new tests that I graded). After he took the september test, he felt fairly confident and kept saying "I am sure that I did well and my hard work will pay off." He got his score on friday....a 158 (a point higher than his diagnostic)! I am not sure what sections he messed up in, but I think he got 5 questions wrong on the games and almost 15 wrong on the reasoning (I did not actually see his score report). I know he did not sleep that well the night before the test, but I am still very surprised given how confident he was after the exam.

We both graduated from a top 20 undergrad, but he always did better than me in school (he had a 3.85 and graduated summa cum laude). His professor even nominated him for alumni donation based scholarship for graduate school. He has all of his applications finished and even has a reccomendation from the president of our university (he was a presidental scholar at our school). Now, he is completely devastated and depressed. He pretty much collapsed on the floor and cried after he got his score (in our four years dating, I have NEVER seen him cry or ever that upset). He had dreams of going to Columbia, and now he said there is no way that they (or any school of that caliber) would ever take anyone with his scores, even if he improved. He makes comments that a score like that on record ruins someone's chances to ever go to top 10 school.

The thing that gets to me is that I have been trying to console him and make him feel better, but nothing seems to work. He keeps on saying that there is no practice exams left for him to study off of and there is no hope. He says that this test is an intelligence test, and that if he could not do well in the exam and perform well under pressure, he will probably fail out of law school anyway. The thing that gets to me is that he is actually incredibly smart and has done very amazing things that I think will help him get into a good law school. He not only has a great undergrad record and good work experience but he is also a very devoted volunteer Big Brother for six years now for a young kid who has down syndrome (he sees his little brother once every two weeks). He has never been the type to sulk, but he is now so completely broken that it scares me. He is completely ashamed to call his professors back (who called him) to tell them his scores and even respond to all of his friends that asked him how he did. He also knows that he no longer has a shot at the scholarship that his professor nominated him for. He makes comments about how he spent almost a year preparing for this exam and has nothing to show for it. I think he is afraid that all of his professors and friends will no longer think he is smart or deserves to attend a top law school because of his score.

I guess what I am trying to find out, is there anyone else who cancelled their lsat once, got a less than favorable score and took it for the third time and succeeded? Any success stories with schools like Columbia, Yale, NYU or Upenn? Anyone else has dealt with significant other that faced a similar dilemma? I just kind of want to tell him stories about people who have dealt with similar setbacks that hindered confidence levels and still succeeded without compromising their dreams.

I am sorry for the long post. Its just really difficult to see someone that had the best attitude about everything in life transform into this depressed person just because of one test. If anyone has any constructive advice or any stories that can help me, I would truly appreciate it.

Hi, I am late to reply but I just can't get enough to just leave your post. Your boyfriend should not lose hope because; as you said he was reviewing almost every weekend. Maybe he could retake the exam and spend more time for reviewing to pass the exam.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”