My boyfriend is completely depressed bc of LSAT, help

Foch

Re: My boyfriend is completely depressed bc of LSAT, help

Postby Foch » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:07 am

NancyBotwin wrote:Do a search for Dean Pless. He's all over that thread. It's HILARIOUS.

Damnit...that sounds way cooler than the paper I have to write and submit within the next 112 minutes.

henrywang

Postby henrywang » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:09 am

You all are ridiculous.

And no, I still haven't learned to spell.

I'd be more than happy to help in anyway I can, though. I did ok on the thing, and think this test is entirely learnable. He certainly can learn.

Actually, it's funny. The day before the exam I psyched myself out and totally BOMBED the practice test. (I had the flu, too...) I called the LSAC to try to get out of the test and found I couldn't, so I figured since I had to go in to cancel anyway I might as well take it and cancel at the end. It ended up going well, and I didn't cancel, but I sympathize. It's totally possible to get a 150 one day and a 175 the next. If he writes an addendum explaining his test anxiety (what else could it be?) I think the adcoms will understand. A cancel, 157, 17x looks like test anxiety he managed to work through - esp with the grades and strong LOR. I mean, the adcoms are smart, logical people. They can put two and two together.

And it doesn't hurt them with US News.

If it doesn't work out in round three, though, he should work a few years and think about if this is really what he wants to do. Sounds like he has a decent job now. Not all law school grads are so lucky.....

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:11 am

Foch wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:Do a search for Dean Pless. He's all over that thread. It's HILARIOUS.

Damnit...that sounds way cooler than the paper I have to write and submit within the next 112 minutes.

Hahaha, no, don't. Save it for another day - it's a long thread.

henrywang

Postby henrywang » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:32 am

To the poster - I sent you a PM, but my mailbox is acting stupid and not sending it. I'd be happy to do what I can to help in anyway. I did pretty well on the thing, and maybe some of my strategies would be helpful. My boyfriend is of a similar cut to yours, so I kind of understand. He bombed the MCAT even though he had the highest GPA at a top 20 school with a double major in chemical physics and math. I, on the otherhand, failed differential equations. Literally. It was horrible. In any event, if there is anything I can do to help, let me know.

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:33 am

I lurked a lot before I started posting and I heard a plausible theory that JMS was Cleareyes. JMS just started trolling again after being gone for months. Cleareyes just started giving helpful information in the what are my chances forum again after being gone for months. I leave it to you to decide.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:38 am

Foch wrote:

And damnit...that sounds way cooler than the thesis I have to write and submit within the next 2880 minutes.

henrywang

Postby henrywang » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:39 am

tomhobbes wrote:I lurked a lot before I started posting and I heard a plausible theory that JMS was Cleareyes. JMS just started trolling again after being gone for months. Cleareyes just started giving helpful information in the what are my chances forum again after being gone for months. I leave it to you to decide.

Interesting. Each to his own, I suppose. Perhaps trolling beats watching Late Night? For me, I'd better get some sleep or I'm going to be looking pretty droopy at my 8 am meeting :-/

Sourpunch

Postby Sourpunch » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:57 am

That is horrible. I really don't understand how this happens to people! I canceled my September score but looking over the test, I realized that I probably scored within my PT range.

What is scary is that this could happen to me in December which would be my last chance to do the exam in this cycle. Scary! Hopefully not.

I hope your boyfriend will feel better soon. This is the worst thing that could happen obviously but tell him not to give up, he can do it again and go to a good school.

henrywang

Postby henrywang » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:58 am

I was almost asleep when it occurred to me that I should add that my guy didn't go to med school, and is much happier for it. I think it would have been a total waste of his ability. Most smart people could be decent doctors - it is mostly about empathy, I think. Most people could not do what he's doing now. His dad's a doctor, so there was a lot of pressure in that direction, but looking back he is very glad the MCAT did not go well.

Not to say yours shouldn't retake the LSAT and go to law school, but it's good to keep in mind that sometimes these things work out for the best.

Foch

Postby Foch » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:00 am

tomhobbes wrote:I lurked a lot before I started posting and I heard a plausible theory that JMS was Cleareyes. JMS just started trolling again after being gone for months. Cleareyes just started giving helpful information in the what are my chances forum again after being gone for months. I leave it to you to decide.

Yeah, after reading his post in this thread, I immediately began to wonder whether it would be cooler if JMS is someone writing amazing drivel for fun or someone who actually thinks and writes that way.

It's a really tough call. I'd love to shake that person's hand either way.

Agsulliv

Postby Agsulliv » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:40 am

For what it's worth, two observations:

1) I spoke to a Columbia admissions rep who told me that if the highest LSAT score is way above a lower score (6+ points) that they don't really take the lower score into account.

2) I was with a friend of mine when she received her June '08 score and had her sights set on a top 5. After practicing in the low-170s, she got a 160. She burst into tears in our office and had to go home for the day. She retook in Sep '08 and got a 175. She's now in her first year at Harvard.

Tell you're boyfriend that this is by no means over and that he shouldn't take this lying down. I retook after having done all PTs in the first round, and improved a good amount. It can be done.

Good luck!

irie

Postby irie » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:50 am

i wish my gf cared this much about my lsat score...

Me: I got my lsat score today
GF: That's great! how'd you do?
Me: Pretty good! 175!
GF: Oh. What's the highest you can get?
Me: 180.
GF: Oh. Hey... can you believe Michael Jackson is dead??
Me: ...

sconnie86

Postby sconnie86 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:44 am

I can beat this story. I checked my score yesterday, i got a 157. I had a 158 last year studying alone. This year I spent money on a kaplan test, took 12 additional tests, and got a worse score. I didn't cry though. I went out alone and drank 7 whiskey and cokes in 2 hours.

I dont know what im going to do now.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:49 am

sconnie86 wrote: I didn't cry though. I went out alone and drank 7 whiskey and cokes in 2 hours.

You handled it like a man, congrats. Tough luck, though, I'm assuming you're going to re-take?

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:51 am

Helmholtz wrote:
sconnie86 wrote: I didn't cry though. I went out alone and drank 7 whiskey and cokes in 2 hours.

You handled it like a man, congrats. Tough luck, though, I'm assuming you're going to re-take?

Drinking your whiskey with Coke is anything but manly.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:53 am

WhiskeyGuy wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

I read it quick and thought he was referring to cocaine. My bad.

Anyway, it's the thought that counts. Getting drunk > crying like a woman.

sconnie86

Postby sconnie86 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:54 am

i wasnt really concerned with drinking something that made me look tough. I just wanted to get drunk fast.

Kant

Postby Kant » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:02 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
The Zeppelin wrote:If not, dump him because he cried over the LSAT.

TITCR

That it is.

Just being an ass. Make him dinner and just be as sweet as possible, and the world will turn.

eudaimonia

Postby eudaimonia » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:05 pm

"The LSAT doesn’t say anything about your intelligence or about you as a person.... at the end of the day, you can’t allow these three digit numbers to say anything about you; even if it seems like law schools don’t know this, there is a lot more to you than your LSAT score." - Colin Elzie

Kant

Postby Kant » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:08 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Drinking Jack show a bad taste in whiskey

ritchie77

Postby ritchie77 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:10 pm

have him do timed sections at 32 or 33 minutes studying, also have him study in a place where he is distracted or uncomfortable. testing conditions are not the same as being comfortable at your desk in your office or room at home. if he is timing at 32 or 33, he will likely finish all sections on time come test day.

also tell him if he goes to a school not in the top ten, that you can always transfer after one year or a bit more if he does good. he seems to always excel in school so maybe this would work for him.

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:14 pm

Kant wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

I'm just a simple guy with simple tastes. Although, I applaud your refined, aristocratic sensibilities.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:14 pm

Kant wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

. . . are you saying what I think you are saying? As a proud Tennessee resident I must say to you good sir: THEMS FIGHTN WORDS!

Kant

Postby Kant » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:15 pm

Drinking jack is only for getting hammered. And you might as well drink the really cheap shit if that is all you want to do.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:18 pm

Kant wrote:Drinking jack is only for getting hammered. And you might as well drink the really cheap shit if that is all you want to do.

You sir, have no taste buds. Jack Daniels consistantly puts out some of the finest whiskey there is.

Are you one of these who decides whether or not they like a wine based on the price tag?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”