February 2010 LSAT - 50 days and counting.

User avatar
angiej
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

Re: February 2010 LSAT - 126 days and counting.

Postby angiej » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:17 pm

Have you tried the powerscore logical reasoning bible?

Ethereal822
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:18 pm

Re: February 2010 LSAT - 126 days and counting.

Postby Ethereal822 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:03 pm

angiej wrote:Have you tried the powerscore logical reasoning bible?


Yup, but I think I will probably review this book again.

User avatar
angiej
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

Re: February 2010 LSAT - 126 days and counting.

Postby angiej » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:28 pm

I have not yet started the LR bible - I'm focusing on LG bible right now but I've heard very good things about both and that it is beneficial to read them twice.

User avatar
Philipsssssss
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:57 pm

Re: February 2010 LSAT - 126 days and counting.

Postby Philipsssssss » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:18 pm

angiej wrote:I have not yet started the LR bible - I'm focusing on LG bible right now but I've heard very good things about both and that it is beneficial to read them twice.


I don't know what to tell you about the LR Bible. Yes, sure, read it once, but don't rely on it way too much. For some people it can mess their own successful strategy at attacking the LR's.

User avatar
Philipsssssss
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:57 pm

Re: February 2010 LSAT - 126 days and counting.

Postby Philipsssssss » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Ethereal822 wrote:
Philipsssssss wrote:
Ethereal822 wrote:Hi Everyone, I just joined this group since I decided to postpone my exam until February last night :( Hopefully I made the right decision to do so...

How is everyone spacing out the PTs/studying? I definitely don't want to make the mistake again to procrastinate 4 weeks before the exam. I am working full-time (anywhere from 40-50 hours) and it has been incredibly hard for me to study consistently at night since I'm always so exhausted! I should also add that I have taken the June LSATs and canceled it due to my nervousness and really poor testing conditions and have used up all of the PTs (except for the SuperPrep Exams). Any thoughts/encouragement would be greatly appreciated! :)


1) At first i felt as though i am going to be ready for this exam, man o man, i was studying since September (actually i was studying on and off in the past 2 years) but anyhow, i am also working like 40 hr/week and my job was demanding lately. I also found tit very tough to stick to my schedule of LSAT evening regiment. So i hear you ! I was actually late by 1 day to register for the Dec LSAT - i guess my ignorance stemmed from the fact that i was unsure about my latest scores, my RC section was killing me (-10 on avarage). So one day i went online and whalla, it was the 14th, and the deadline was November 13th, come to think about it, Friday the 13th? LOL perhaps good i didnt register.

2) I tool the LSAT 2 years ago. On February - the irony o the irony. I also cancelled back then, i guess i realized this test was harder then i thought it would be. I came a long way, from a cold 137 if i recall 3 years ago, with off and on studying, to approx 160'sh.

3) I would suggest the following:

a) Get the LSAT proctor DVD ( or, --LinkRemoved--) <-- thats a free proctor. Good tool. I found it much better to use the timed version of doing the tests. However, i think i will purchase the full Proctor DVD, i have to give it all this time for this exam.

b) Go to the gym, at least 30 min a day. Trust me, you will feel much more energized adter you start getting into shape. Its a whole different feel.

c) Since you have used all? the exams, why wont you go over each one and see FOR EACH Question when it is RIGHT or WRONG. write on the margin your own thoughts by each answer. This is especially true for LR's.

d) Keep the DEC LSAT as your last LSAT before the February. Also, Do the 3 Super Prep 1 each on a weekend. And go over each and every explaination.

e) Perhpas you can start over from the first PT (do as many as you can and do each section in 30 min) - you think you remember all the answers? trust me, you will see that even after retaking the same PT, you will make same mistakes - 30 min for each section is even harder, but it should compensate for your prior knowledge of it.


Wow, thanks so much for your extensive reponse and advice! I am having most trouble with LR. Even though I go over the questions and write out exactly why I got each question wrong, I always seem to get -4/-5 wrong on each LR section. I have been tracking the questions I am usually getting incorrect, and they are usually weaken, flaw, and assumption questions. I have already gone through the LR bible but I think I may revisit it again. Right now, my score is in the mid 160s (usually 165 or 166)--however, this is somewhat untimed. My goal is to get 170+.




1 ) -4 -5 is actually not bad, I have the same stat’s I think. But of course, it is way off the mark when it comes to 170+. I have a major RC problem, I read it all, understand pretty much all of it, but, for some reason, I keep getting -10 wrong. This is why I just didn’t feel I am a t14 material as of now yet. I need to get at least -4 on RC to really hit the High 160’s low 170’s.

2) I will make a new schedule in order to keep on studying for the Feb LSAT. I really need to re-strategize my RC approach. I will go ahead and soon register for the February LSAT, no more putting it off. I am taking it and that’s it. I feel as though I was avoiding the test lately. No more.

3) My goal is to pretend I will be taking the December LSAT and I will study my ass off for December, and take the latest test I have as a PT and basically see what would have happened more or less on test day. If I get totally buster of a score, it would be a confirmation I wasn’t ready.

Ethereal822
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:18 pm

Re: February 2010 LSAT - 126 days and counting.

Postby Ethereal822 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:59 pm

Philipsssssss wrote:
Ethereal822 wrote:
Philipsssssss wrote:
Ethereal822 wrote:Hi Everyone, I just joined this group since I decided to postpone my exam until February last night :( Hopefully I made the right decision to do so...

How is everyone spacing out the PTs/studying? I definitely don't want to make the mistake again to procrastinate 4 weeks before the exam. I am working full-time (anywhere from 40-50 hours) and it has been incredibly hard for me to study consistently at night since I'm always so exhausted! I should also add that I have taken the June LSATs and canceled it due to my nervousness and really poor testing conditions and have used up all of the PTs (except for the SuperPrep Exams). Any thoughts/encouragement would be greatly appreciated! :)


1) At first i felt as though i am going to be ready for this exam, man o man, i was studying since September (actually i was studying on and off in the past 2 years) but anyhow, i am also working like 40 hr/week and my job was demanding lately. I also found tit very tough to stick to my schedule of LSAT evening regiment. So i hear you ! I was actually late by 1 day to register for the Dec LSAT - i guess my ignorance stemmed from the fact that i was unsure about my latest scores, my RC section was killing me (-10 on avarage). So one day i went online and whalla, it was the 14th, and the deadline was November 13th, come to think about it, Friday the 13th? LOL perhaps good i didnt register.

2) I tool the LSAT 2 years ago. On February - the irony o the irony. I also cancelled back then, i guess i realized this test was harder then i thought it would be. I came a long way, from a cold 137 if i recall 3 years ago, with off and on studying, to approx 160'sh.

3) I would suggest the following:

a) Get the LSAT proctor DVD ( or, --LinkRemoved--) <-- thats a free proctor. Good tool. I found it much better to use the timed version of doing the tests. However, i think i will purchase the full Proctor DVD, i have to give it all this time for this exam.

b) Go to the gym, at least 30 min a day. Trust me, you will feel much more energized adter you start getting into shape. Its a whole different feel.

c) Since you have used all? the exams, why wont you go over each one and see FOR EACH Question when it is RIGHT or WRONG. write on the margin your own thoughts by each answer. This is especially true for LR's.

d) Keep the DEC LSAT as your last LSAT before the February. Also, Do the 3 Super Prep 1 each on a weekend. And go over each and every explaination.

e) Perhpas you can start over from the first PT (do as many as you can and do each section in 30 min) - you think you remember all the answers? trust me, you will see that even after retaking the same PT, you will make same mistakes - 30 min for each section is even harder, but it should compensate for your prior knowledge of it.


Wow, thanks so much for your extensive reponse and advice! I am having most trouble with LR. Even though I go over the questions and write out exactly why I got each question wrong, I always seem to get -4/-5 wrong on each LR section. I have been tracking the questions I am usually getting incorrect, and they are usually weaken, flaw, and assumption questions. I have already gone through the LR bible but I think I may revisit it again. Right now, my score is in the mid 160s (usually 165 or 166)--however, this is somewhat untimed. My goal is to get 170+.




1 ) -4 -5 is actually not bad, I have the same stat’s I think. But of course, it is way off the mark when it comes to 170+. I have a major RC problem, I read it all, understand pretty much all of it, but, for some reason, I keep getting -10 wrong. This is why I just didn’t feel I am a t14 material as of now yet. I need to get at least -4 on RC to really hit the High 160’s low 170’s.

2) I will make a new schedule in order to keep on studying for the Feb LSAT. I really need to re-strategize my RC approach. I will go ahead and soon register for the February LSAT, no more putting it off. I am taking it and that’s it. I feel as though I was avoiding the test lately. No more.

3) My goal is to pretend I will be taking the December LSAT and I will study my ass off for December, and take the latest test I have as a PT and basically see what would have happened more or less on test day. If I get totally buster of a score, it would be a confirmation I wasn’t ready.


I have been scoring around -2 to -4 on RC and what has worked for me is to read the passage (spend about 2-2.5 mins on it). Understand the point of each paragraph (and also the role of the paragraph relative to the passage). I used to underline a lot but I don't think that has been too helpful. I always make note of a new name, concept, definition, and the author's argument by placing asterisks or underlining them. I skip over the tedious details of processes (often shown in science passages) and go back to them when the question asks for it. In terms of answering questions, I skip the Main Point until I answer all the other specific questions. Hopefully, this helps! I also found the Reading Comp Bible somewhat helpful.

phila
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:57 am

Re: February 2010 LSAT - 126 days and counting.

Postby phila » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:37 pm

Has anyone been using a spreadsheet to track their PTs and results on different question/game types that they would be willing to share?

I think it'd be a good way to track, but I'm so damn terrible with Excel!!!

User avatar
angiej
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

Re: February 2010 LSAT - 126 days and counting.

Postby angiej » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:45 pm

I use a simpler spreadsheet than the ones provided in this thread:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=95936

User avatar
Philipsssssss
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:57 pm

Re: February 2010 LSAT - 126 days and counting.

Postby Philipsssssss » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:43 pm

I have been scoring around -2 to -4 on RC and what has worked for me is to read the passage (spend about 2-2.5 mins on it). Understand the point of each paragraph (and also the role of the paragraph relative to the passage). I used to underline a lot but I don't think that has been too helpful. I always make note of a new name, concept, definition, and the author's argument by placing asterisks or underlining them. I skip over the tedious details of processes (often shown in science passages) and go back to them when the question asks for it. In terms of answering questions, I skip the Main Point until I answer all the other specific questions. Hopefully, this helps! I also found the Reading Comp Bible somewhat helpful




Ah, -2 to -4 [I WISH-a dream come true]. That would be so much better. I will try to go over RC hard core until Dec 5th and take a PT with LSAT proctor DVD. The RC is a hard to learn section. However, just a few points improvement would be so much better.

I am not so sure I want to try the reading comprehension bible because it would essentially ruin all of the new passages for me. They have I guess all of the new RC passages broken down, and it will affect the truthfulness of my newer PT's.

Let’s see where I stand on December 5th.

User avatar
Philipsssssss
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:57 pm

Re: February 2010 LSAT - 126 days and counting.

Postby Philipsssssss » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:46 pm

My first cold diagnostic was 137. Now I am in the low 160's as far as I can tell.

RC always averages -10 or so. Sucks.

I did hit high 160's and even lower 170's but it was a hybrid between untimed and timed kind of.

I need to consistently score between 165 - 170 to feel good about my chances to apply to schools of my choice.

phila
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:57 am

Re: February 2010 LSAT - 126 days and counting.

Postby phila » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:45 pm

angiej wrote:I use a simpler spreadsheet than the ones provided in this thread:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=95936


Wow, that is hardcore!

User avatar
angiej
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

Re: February 2010 LSAT - 126 days and counting.

Postby angiej » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:14 pm

phila wrote:
angiej wrote:I use a simpler spreadsheet than the ones provided in this thread:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=95936


Wow, that is hardcore!

Haha yep.

asiasunset
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:09 am

Re: February 2010 LSAT - 126 days and counting.

Postby asiasunset » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:45 pm

Hey guys!!

I am joining this study group. Decided to take and cancel my Dec scores. I need to improve 20 points. Let's get it in!! :)

sempervirens
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:23 am

Re: February 2010 LSAT - 126 days and counting.

Postby sempervirens » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:40 pm

Signing on. I'm applying in the 2011 cycle and I think the Feb date makes the most sense if a retake is necessary.

So far I'm taking one section at a time, taking a 5/10 minute break, and moving on to the next section. I figured I'd work on my accuracy/speed first, then my endurance. Finances are sort of limited, so I have the LG and LR Bibles and the 10 Prep Tests book. When I finish with these I figure I'll just invest in the other PTs and hopefully use the majority of them, particularly the newer ones, for full PTs mimicking the real thing as much as possible.

Right now I'm averaging -2.8 per LR section, -1.2 per RC section, and -5+ per LG section. The LR is what I've worked the most on, and I'm happy with both that and the LR/RC scores. It's time to crack the LG Bible and get to -3 or better. I figure once I reach that point, assuming I do, I'll move on to the full PTs and work on endurance.

Ultimately I'm shooting for a 172 or better. We'll see...

Ethereal822
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:18 pm

Re: February 2010 LSAT - 126 days and counting.

Postby Ethereal822 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:38 pm

I am in desperate help on LR Weakening Questions... I would appreciate any specific guidance on doing these questions well! I have been reviewing this type for a quite a while and have also been writing down why I get them wrong. But for some reason, when I do the LR questions, my mind goes blank and I get around -5 q's per LR section :(

User avatar
Close Diamond
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:40 pm

Re: February 2010 LSAT - 126 days and counting.

Postby Close Diamond » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:22 pm

I've been following the LSAT Blog's 5-Month program. (http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/ls ... edule.html)

Next week begins the onslaught of timed tests (although I've done a few already). So far I've seen an 8 point jump: from 159 to 167, and there's still more than two months left to go. I thought I'd never crack 165, but now 170 seems very possible.

Don't mean to dote on the aforementioned blog, but I just read a post on the LR sufficient assumption/justify question type, and found it very helpful. (http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/lo ... ption.html)

It's amazing how much confidence aids performance.

77to101
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:53 am

Re: February 2010 LSAT - 126 days and counting.

Postby 77to101 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:46 am

what do you guys think of my method? I'm thinking accuracy first, speed second, so i'm taking tests untimed until i hit -5 or higher. the way i see it, if i can't get -5 untimed, i have no chance getting it timed.... so why waste precious PT questions when i clearly need to work out accuracy first? the first untimed test i took i got a -11; i'll be taking another tomorrow. btw the highest i ever got timed has been a -23.

also, how far along in prep are you guys? this thread is slacking. after tomorrow's september test, we're on deck...

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: February 2010 LSAT - 126 days and counting.

Postby 20121109 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:00 am

Count me in guys.

I've taken the test twice and scored the same score twice (166) :oops: Pretty upsetting, considering I've already taken all the PTs...so studying will be a little strange for me. Not too sure how to begin actually...

I'm getting a tutor for February...haven't decided between Testmasters or Powerscore. Maybe even a course, instead...but I heard they are not too helpful for people who already have a strong familiarity with the test...but anything over 170 will do.

Hope we rock it in Feb!!

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: February 2010 LSAT - 126 days and counting.

Postby keg411 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:32 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Count me in guys.

I've taken the test twice and scored the same score twice (166) :oops: Pretty upsetting, considering I've already taken all the PTs...so studying will be a little strange for me. Not too sure how to begin actually...

I'm getting a tutor for February...haven't decided between Testmasters or Powerscore. Maybe even a course, instead...but I heard they are not too helpful for people who already have a strong familiarity with the test...but anything over 170 will do.

Hope we rock it in Feb!!


If you're already that high, find out some information from people who have used their tutors before and go with the recommended one. At this point you probably need to figure out specifically what you're doing wrong and you need it from an ultra-high scorer.

I'm making my way through the LRB for my re-take (chose not to use the bibles last time, which I'm glad about because I have some new study aids). So far it seems to be a good addition (although I still need to read the question first). We'll see what happens when I get back to PT's and timed later in the month when I finish the bibles.

celio
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:57 pm

Re: February 2010 LSAT - 126 days and counting.

Postby celio » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:00 pm

62 days left of study time.

I'm starting to run through all the prep tests, 19-58. Should be plenty of time to get through all of them. Good luck all.

77to101
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:53 am

Re: February 2010 LSAT - 126 days and counting.

Postby 77to101 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:20 pm

any december cancellers joining us?

User avatar
laidoffjournalist
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: February 2010 LSAT - 126 days and counting.

Postby laidoffjournalist » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:21 pm

Might be time for a new, updated countdown thread... you guys are on deck! :shock:

User avatar
redsox
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: February 2010 LSAT - 126 days and counting.

Postby redsox » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:25 am

We need tars, help us select one:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=98614&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

User avatar
angiej
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

Re: February 2010 LSAT - 126 days and counting.

Postby angiej » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:53 am

Ugh - anything but half naked supermodels.

User avatar
redsox
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: February 2010 LSAT - 126 days and counting.

Postby redsox » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:57 am

angiej wrote:Ugh - anything but half naked supermodels.


Even if they went after Tiger with a golf club?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Lexaholik, mrgstephe, VMars, Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests