February 2010 LSAT - 50 days and counting. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Close Diamond

Bronze

Re: February 2010 LSAT - 50 days and counting.

Post by Close Diamond » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:43 pm

granger wrote:How's everyone's studying going?
In a PowerScore course. It's fun and helpful, but not earthshaking for someone who came into it averaging 165. Still doing poorly on RC.

Starting next week I start the big push by taking 4 PT's per week (working up to the most recent) until the big day.

Anyone else?

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:44 pm

So would anyone suggest taking a powerscore weekend class if im usually getting high 170s
do they tell you any awesome tips that arent in the bibles or you cant figure out from the preptests?

also test day question
what is the full list of things we cant have now?
i know we cant have timers (only analog not digital watches) no hoodies
what else? can i bring a bag? can i have a water bottle? is this like getting through security in the airport now? lol

Camron

New

Post by Camron » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:26 am

granger wrote:How's everyone's studying going?
Just did an older Preptest (39) and realized I am still doing horrible on Logic games, specifically the setup for grouping games. I re-read LG Bible, and have done 10 LG game sections (40 games in total) with still getting 14 right in this section :( . Not sure if that will change by the LSAT. I don't want to waste my newer LSAT Preptests but the games from earlier Preptests were noticeable easier. I need to score 20 on this section but it looks like I will need to drop the hardest one (probably will be grouping for me) on the actual LSAT and just get the first elimination question right on the skipped one and guess all Es (or whatever answer choice hasn't appeared as equally) for the rest.

Did reread the LR Bible, and realised how helpful that was (skimmed for last LSAT). I ended up briefing the whole book, and going through older LSATs and doing each question piece by piece (following the LR bible method for each one). Haven't had time to test myself yet, but hopefully will score over what I was getting before (17-19 on this section).

Finally, I am reading the RC Bible. Hope to get it finished this week, followed by a ton of questions. I am scoring well in RC (100% accuracy, 19 usually out of 26/27 due to time, need to work on reading a bit quicker).

Like some of you other guys, I need to kick it into high gear and start doing 4 PT a week, and learning from my mistakes. Time to go put in 4 hours of studying :D.
Last edited by Camron on Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Camron

New

Post by Camron » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:29 am

s0ph1e2007 wrote:So would anyone suggest taking a powerscore weekend class if im usually getting high 170s
do they tell you any awesome tips that arent in the bibles or you cant figure out from the preptests?

also test day question
what is the full list of things we cant have now?
i know we cant have timers (only analog not digital watches) no hoodies
what else? can i bring a bag? can i have a water bottle? is this like getting through security in the airport now? lol
You can only bring a clear ziploc bag, with HB2 pencils, erasers, and a pencil sharpner (mechanical). You can also bring one snack and a water bottle for the break but at my LSAT, these items were placed in the back of the classroom (mind you my local facility filled up so I had to go write it in a city of 13,000, with probably 20 people writing the LSAT). I think usually you can place them under your chair.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Studying going well. Went from a 167 on the last PT to a 168 on the one I just finished (Raw Score -12; was sick too, but powered through in case I'm sick on test day). Second was also a PT in the 50's (I think it was PT52; it had a comparative passage, so it's from since those started).

I definitely feel a million times better the few weeks pre-Feb. than I did the few weeks before September, it isn't even funny. Dunno if I'll get into the 170's, but I'm hoping I can take the next step :). Once I broke 160, I didn't slip back, so I'm wondering if it's a similar process with over 170 (I did hit one 170 in my previous studying pre-Sept., but it was VERY flukey).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aias

New

Post by Aias » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:14 pm

Im in...retaking a 169
Just to pt55 the other day after not looking a lsat material since June and scored a 178 :shock:

texasgirl22

Bronze

Post by texasgirl22 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:49 pm

wow had you taken it before? that's amazing. i'm about to start studying again for a retake also

Nikhil

New

Post by Nikhil » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:00 pm

Currently taking a testmasters crash course, my first time, got a 157, which I have to up to at least 165 because of reallllly low gpa.

The course has helped a lot in just basic logic understanding.

2nd diagnostic is tmrw morn, i'm hoping i can apply what ive learned so far to do much better.

good luck to all

Camron

New

Post by Camron » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:27 pm

keg411 wrote:Studying going well. Went from a 167 on the last PT to a 168 on the one I just finished (Raw Score -12; was sick too, but powered through in case I'm sick on test day). Second was also a PT in the 50's (I think it was PT52; it had a comparative passage, so it's from since those started).

I definitely feel a million times better the few weeks pre-Feb. than I did the few weeks before September, it isn't even funny. Dunno if I'll get into the 170's, but I'm hoping I can take the next step :). Once I broke 160, I didn't slip back, so I'm wondering if it's a similar process with over 170 (I did hit one 170 in my previous studying pre-Sept., but it was VERY flukey).
That is great to hear, I am hoping I will get that same feeling like you this week :cry:. I just did PT 45 yesterday feeling pretty confident on all sections (finished the LR section with 5 minutes to spare). When I examined my score though, I was pretty surprised, my strongest section which my accuracy is usually well above 90% was just bombed (RC). I scored 22 (out of 26) on the LR section, 20 (out of 22) on the LG, 18 (out of 25 on 3rd LR), and I absolutely bombed the RC with only 11 answered right out of 27 :shock:. My score ended up being a 159, where in reality, compared to my RC average, it should have otherwise been a 165 at least. More practice I guess :lol:.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:53 pm

Took my 3rd PT (I think 52 or 53; it was somewhere in the 50's) for my re-take... went down from the 167 & 168 to 165 mostly because of a craptastic RC section (though a -4 overall in LR made me happy and despite thinking I bombed the LG, only got a -4 there too).

I'm starting to think my hope of breaking into the 170's might be futile, no matter how much I want it. Taking another PT today/tonight and see how that goes.

idkmybffjill

New

Post by idkmybffjill » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:06 am

How many PT's does everyone have left before the big day?

idkmybffjill

New

Post by idkmybffjill » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:09 am

And has anyone taken PT 35 in recent history? I wanted to discuss the last LR section. I'm normally great on LR (-1 or -2), and I got a -1 on the first LR but bombed the second with a -7! I haven't done that poorly in months.

I don't know if it was because I was fatigued by the 4th section of the exam or what, but in reviewing my answers it seems there were 4 legitimately hard questions and a few that I made dumb mistakes on, but to me it seemed like that test was backloaded - - all the harder LR questions were in one second versus evenly spread between the two sections. Anyone else notice this or am I crazy?

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:09 am

I have 16 left

anxiety is really getting to me now
and i know it does not matter if i were to never get a single question wrong on a PT i'd still be terrified some new unexpected question or LG or something might come up and I'll just bomb

i hope im not this nervous on the 6th!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:26 am

I just lost the last 2 weeks of studying time other than being able to do LG's at 2am each night. So I feel I am well prepared for LG section. I did the few older, more difficult games (by my own recollection and through the board's consensus) and I didn't find them too troubling at all, so I think I am in good shape by game day.

I don't feel I can really improve on the LR and RC sections too much anyway. Once I familiarized with the common question/answer types and the usual trickery of the test makers I have been pretty consistent anyway. I figure I will do a prep test a day for the next week and then just relax the week of.

Everyone good luck!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:25 am

Rumors about the December LSAT LR being really really difficult: confirmed. Bombed LR completely despite owning on LR recently. Going to drill super hard LR with the tutor next week until I can figure out how to do these questions (and we are narrowing it to only tough questions on PT's 55 and higher). The games were absolute cake, though and the RC was easier than September by a lot (it took a longer amount of time, but the last passage was super quick to do).

Scored a 165 with a raw of 81, which means I'm 167 168 165 165 for my 4 Feb re-take PT's (I'd take a 165, but I'd like to be more in the 167-168 range of my earlier re-take tests). May take another PT either tonight or Saturday afternoon. (All tests I've take for the re-take were in the 50's).

lslc13

New

Post by lslc13 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:23 pm

This may be an odd question, but I'm in the middle of applying this cycle and I was wondering if the retakers on this thread are also in the middle of law school applications or are shooting for next year. What I'm basically trying to figure out is if schools I've already applied to would consider an LSAT score received late in the Spring...

becauseimaddicted

New

Post by becauseimaddicted » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:45 pm

lslc13 wrote:This may be an odd question, but I'm in the middle of applying this cycle and I was wondering if the retakers on this thread are also in the middle of law school applications or are shooting for next year. What I'm basically trying to figure out is if schools I've already applied to would consider an LSAT score received late in the Spring...
I've submitted my apps but have asked them to be held until after the February scores are out. I scored way below my PT average in both September and December but I'm feeling good about February. (averaging 173 in practice)

I've applied mostly to 2nd tier schools, and am hoping for IU Bloomington or William and Mary. That said, if I break 170 in February, I might think seriously about putting it off for another year and applying T14 next year.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

risktaker

Silver

Post by risktaker » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:35 pm

I am in the middle of this cycle as well. Have told most schools to hold app till after Feb LSAT. I have applied to 5 schools that gave me a fee waiver w/ my current score of 156. I scored 10-13 pts lower than what I was getting on my PT's. I am feeling a lot more confident about Feb test, but taking it a lot more lightly on the studying for this test. Took two PT's and scored a 168 and 169, so feeling pretty good. Gonna take two more PT's before game day. I have been reading out of the Kaplan 180 book and it has helped a lot, especially with RC. I really don't want to wait till next year, so hopefully I get a decent score to get me in with $$$ at USD or UC Davis.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:48 pm

In the middle. A few of my apps are on hold for the Feb. LSAT, a few are being reviewed (but since my numbers are borderline I have a suspicion that even the schools that don't tell me they are waiting are waiting). If I hit a 167+, I'll send late apps to 2-3 schools that don't hate on splitters (i.e. UIUC, WUSTL and UMN) and hope that one takes me. If I miraculously go over 170, I'll also send a late ED to UVA and a late application to Northwestern and see if either of them will bite (doubtful that I'll even get the 170 because I've only hit it on one PT and it was back in September and way flukey, but there are still a couple of weeks to go). If I get my expected 164-166 I should get into most of the schools I applied to and want to go to and will be happy.

ETA: Had a 162 in September, so I don't feel like I'm too far off from the lower end of my goals.

evergirl23

Bronze

Post by evergirl23 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:04 pm

lslc13 wrote:This may be an odd question, but I'm in the middle of applying this cycle and I was wondering if the retakers on this thread are also in the middle of law school applications or are shooting for next year. What I'm basically trying to figure out is if schools I've already applied to would consider an LSAT score received late in the Spring...

I am in the middle of my app cycle as well. However, I have asked schools NOT to hold my apps for my new score. I am mainly retaking to see if I can get into a couple of my reach schools and/or try to get off of their waitlists, should I be waitlisted. At many of the schools I applied to, my December score is fine. I have actually been accepted to a couple places already, which is definitely taking some of the pressure off for the Feb, retake. Two weeks from tomorrow, people!

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:36 pm

Last edited by missinglink on Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Robert398

New

Post by Robert398 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:46 pm

idkmybffjill wrote:And has anyone taken PT 35 in recent history? I wanted to discuss the last LR section. I'm normally great on LR (-1 or -2), and I got a -1 on the first LR but bombed the second with a -7! I haven't done that poorly in months.

I don't know if it was because I was fatigued by the 4th section of the exam or what, but in reviewing my answers it seems there were 4 legitimately hard questions and a few that I made dumb mistakes on, but to me it seemed like that test was backloaded - - all the harder LR questions were in one second versus evenly spread between the two sections. Anyone else notice this or am I crazy?

I took 35 a couple weeks ago, I would be glad to discuss it with you if you want to PM me. I can go back and check to see how I did on it but I'm pretty sure it was -1

Forcier

New

Post by Forcier » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:12 pm

Robert398 wrote:
idkmybffjill wrote:And has anyone taken PT 35 in recent history? I wanted to discuss the last LR section. I'm normally great on LR (-1 or -2), and I got a -1 on the first LR but bombed the second with a -7! I haven't done that poorly in months.

I took 35 a couple weeks ago, I would be glad to discuss it with you if you want to PM me. I can go back and check to see how I did on it but I'm pretty sure it was -1
I actually took it this morning. I'm going to the library for a few hours and my bags in the car so I'll check how I did and get back to ya

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:50 pm

I took PT 59 the other day, which was Dec 09 LSAT. Yes that LR is difficult. I did very well on the first LR, and the second LR I also bombed (-9). If you want to go over any of these Q's PM me. I'm in the boonies and studying this alone, so any feedback I can get is greatly appreciated.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:56 pm

Last edited by missinglink on Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”