Report a Testing Center? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
BeccaLynn

New

Post by BeccaLynn » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:44 am

Agreed. I've been relaxing all evening and plan to for at least another week. ...and thanks.

:) However, I'm sort of concerned that this thing could have time strings attached. I mean, if I complain early, my complaint is likely to be taken more seriously...I would think...than it would be after I get my score.

Surely SOMEONE out there has done this before!

DelDad

Bronze

Post by DelDad » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:46 am

Yeah, a compliant after the score comes out could be interpreted more as sour grapes than anything else.

BeccaLynn

New

Post by BeccaLynn » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:49 am

Are you certain that if I specify that I don't want to contest that my score won't be delayed?

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:54 am

from the lsac website:
Report any problem to the test supervisor. However, informing the supervisor is not sufficient. You must also follow up your complaint by writing to LSAC, 662 Penn Street, Box 2000-T, Newtown, PA 18940, or fax your complaint to 215.968.1277. Your complaint, which must include your signature, must be received by LSAC within six calendar days after the administration.
I don't know the specific answer to your question. I do know that if you're going to complain, you have five more days in which to do it.

Also, from Korea you're probably going to have to fax that sucker.

BeccaLynn

New

Post by BeccaLynn » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:02 am

Hmmm...good stuff to know.

Oww...bed for me guys. It's been a long day. Thanks for the help.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Slash2049

Bronze

Post by Slash2049 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:09 am

From what I've read, it can slow your score. I'm not willing to put my score on the line here. Call me immature if you like.
slow your score... geez... you took the june test... delaying your score, even to august does not put much if any of a hindrance in your plans.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:11 am

but it probably puts a strain on your patience and sanity.

at least if it was me.....but I'm an impatient bastid......

NJdave

New

Post by NJdave » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:54 am

Hey Becca,
I think I was in the same room as you. I was wearing black horn rimmed glasses and a black t-shirt that read "Don't Waste My Time"
This is my 2nd time taking the test here in Seoul, the first time in Yonsei. To be honest, both centers were sub-par in performance. None of the proctors spoke english at either center, and if i didn't speak korean i woulda been very troubled by this.

The guy who left that was sitting in front of you was a friend of mine. He later told me he assumed one of the sections was experimental to find out later that it wasnt. Don't know why the proctors had him play musical chairs though. I also had 3 people leave near me, both had to go back and forth. It was distrubting, but after taking it at Yonsei i was expecting such things. The guy who came in late, his cellphone was vibrating during most of the 2nd section. I wanted to get up and knock him out.

Did you enjoy that one child who screamed for like a minute straight. I think he was having a contest with another child. :wink:

lsat180

New

Post by lsat180 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:12 am

Tempus Fugit- Would that actually work, or would the admissions committe feel as if she is trying to make excuses? Or are you saying that it would work if enough people filed complaints about the testing center? Lets say that several people do file complaints, what does LSAC do, do they document it when they send out the scores or what? Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lsat180

New

Post by lsat180 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:16 am

I understand what you are saying, and am not arguing with you at all. What I was asking though, is how much it would actually help? I mean does LSAC send out what she sent to them with her test scores, or how does that work?

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:19 am

I think using a complaint in this way (to "explain" a bad score) would be totally useless and may backfire.

Anyway, she doesn't know if she has a bad score. Nobody knows their score except those who cancelled.

lsat180

New

Post by lsat180 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:21 am

I see where you are coming from Tempus Fugit. On the other hand though, I mean why wouldn't everyone just make that excuse? To me, it would make me think that the person taking the test is just looking for the easy way out and trying to make up an excuse for scoring lower than they wanted.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:25 am

Why wouldn't the adcomm think "if it's that bad, why didn't the person cancel their score or retake the test?"

I think it would make you look worse to adcomms. I don't think writing these sort of things are useful except in extreme situations (family death, mono, etc etc). I think if you complain for something relatively minor and without real substantiation, it makes you look whiny. Nobody likes a whiner.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lsat180

New

Post by lsat180 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:27 am

I agree Possum. That is what I have been saying all along. I mean does LSAC even release anything with one's test score saying anything about the complaint that was made?

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:35 am

You don't have to explain getting a better score the second time around. Lots of people take it again because why? They think they can do better! Adcomms have been doing it for ages and ages. Do you think every time someone writes they had a bad experience they go.... oooh.. poor person, they had a bad LSAT experience...let's weight it less....

I think you're giving the bad advice. I think making excuses for every little thing shows that you can't take responsibility for yourself and just blame everything/everyone around you.

It's fine if you have your own opinion. But your advice in this situation is not necessarily better and it's funny that you think it is.

caribelita

New

Post by caribelita » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:42 am

I agree completely with Tempus Fugit.
Last edited by caribelita on Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lsat180

New

Post by lsat180 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:14 pm

Well it depends on if she's re-taking it; or if she is just going to write and say that she could have done better. There's a big difference between actually doing better, and just saying you could have.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lsat180

New

Post by lsat180 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:17 pm

I agree. But I mean if I'm not ever going to take the test again, I could care less to bother trying to get rid of that testing center.

law05

New

Post by law05 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:26 pm

This is from things that I remember from reading on another message board after the September test last year:

If you feel your performance was affected by the bad environment, and LSAC thinks your complaint is valid, LSAC may offer to let you have the chance to cancel your score after it's been reported to you, and may waive your fee for a retake. I don't remember the details of what happened, but I think that's a potential very good deal, and personally beneficial.

You should just talk to LSAC asap-- they'll tell you what your options are once they evaluate it. You won't be penalized for complaining about the conditions, except perhaps getting your score slightly later than normal.

BeccaLynn

New

Post by BeccaLynn » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:56 pm

Interesting, Loluna. That's exaclty the kind of info. I wanted. Thanks!

NJdave, hey there! Thanks for posting on the topic - it's nice to have someone else who was there. Tell your friend I hate him...but I still love him for interpreting what the proctor was saying :wink: .

So, the conditions weren't any better at Y.U.? Were the windows open? Are there children there, too? Just wondering, because I may have to retake.

Do you plan to complain? What university would you recommend for testing? ...I don't know Seoul that well.

As for the screaming kid, WHICH ONE!? Really, I must have tuned it out okay. However, the singing girls killed me. Wish I could have been playing with them rather than testing. :)

stylus212

New

Post by stylus212 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:58 am

Becca,

I cannot believe you didn't have any air conditioning in the test center given the hot weather these days in Seoul. I was planning on taking it yesterday in Seoul, but moved the date to September test which takes place at Yonsei University as someone already mentioned. Location wise, it is better, and there will not be, at least, any young school children singing outside the school (I finished my graduate studies at Yonsei, and I don't remember seeing any children playing around in the campus).
I don't think there will be another test center open for the test besides Yonsei, so we don't have any choice but to take it there.

Based on what you wrote though, I have a feeling you did very well on the test, and won't have to retake. :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NJdave

New

Post by NJdave » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:57 am

Becca,

Ya if you didnt hear that kid screaming, then you prolly tuned them out enough to focus ^^ did you hear that loudspeaker in the beginning though? i thought, please lord... dont let them have a riot/protest during the LSAT!!!

Y.U has air conditioning, from what i remember. but it was feb when i took the test there. the proctors werent that much better then the D.S.U proctors. but the administration of the test was better, they used a PA system to start and stop the sections. YU is the only place in seoul you can test, DSU was just a fill in for this month (dont ask me why, but this is what i heard from a LSAT instructor here in Seoul). maybe you could fly out to bejing or taiwain or okinawa? i was considering it before DSU was opened as a test center. originally there was no test center for JUNE tests here in Seoul.

as for me, i dont think that i will be writing a complaint. the lsac is completely twisted and evil. and to be honest, after our test form being completely different then those of the states... i cant even comprehend how you can call this a STANDERDIZED test. there was nothing standard about it.

best of luck

ihatestudying

New

Post by ihatestudying » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:28 pm

---
Last edited by ihatestudying on Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeccaLynn

New

Post by BeccaLynn » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:47 pm

Stylus212, your confidence in me is much appreciated. I hope I don't have to, but I'd be glad to be testing with you, if I must take it again, in Sept. :)

NJdave, I most certainly did hear the speaker. I actually started to laugh out loud when it went off. Did you hear me? I thought about flying out of Korea to take the test. Really, I think I could deal with the proctors, now that I now what to expect. I just need something between me and the bugs...and screaming children. Thanks for the info on YU. I'm with you on the differences between the tests. I understand why they do it, but I have no idea how the grades can be fairly compared. I'd like to see some info on that. Thanks a bunch for responding.

IHateStuding, thank for the reassurance that my complaints are well founded. I feel like such a loser for wanting to complain! I certainly am glad I didn't have to fly home for the test, after all. Thanks for sharing
your experiences.

To everyone interested, I have finished a complaint letter and plan to fax it to LSAC later today. Its tone was diplomatic. I made sure to keep my complaints pointed to the matters of English language ability, AC/open windows/bugs, and children on the campus. I ended by saying it would be a shame for LSAC to force future testers to contend with those conditions.

I sort of doubt it's going to help me...but maybe it will do some good for others.
Last edited by BeccaLynn on Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lawduck

New

Post by lawduck » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:52 pm

NewHere, next time I'll specify that I prefer opinions with some empathy.
I'm sorry, I tend to try and be a good, solid poster. I try to be helpful and avoid "trolling." But I have to make an exception to this policy just this once and say...

Oh snap!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”