Report a Testing Center? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
BeccaLynn

New

Report a Testing Center?

Post by BeccaLynn » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:58 am

So, I had a terrible test center experience.

First, neither of my proctors spoke English. Rather than gesturing where I should sit, I got pushed there.

Second, there was no air. So, the windows were left open and bugs were coming in (stinging bugs...and I sat right next to the window...of course) and kids were at recess just outside, singing and yelling, at least twice during our test.

Third, they only gave us a ten minute break...and they specified ten minutes, they didn't just cut it short. Don't the rules say we get 15?

Fourth, about a third of the people in my room left during the test. The guy directly in front of me tried to leave once. The proctor shooed him back to his seat, they had a conversation (which I had to work dearly at ignoring), and he stayed. He got up again later and the process repeated; this time he left for good.

So, it was bad. I'm not sure how I did on the test, and I think I did an okay job of concentrating through this stuff, but ... Should I complain? What would happen? Does LSAC just say, "Okay, we won't use that university again." I'm wondering if it's worth it.

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:17 am

I don't think they could decide never to use that location again on the basis of one complaint, but if there are several people who complain about that place, they should take it into consideration.

lsat180

New

Post by lsat180 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:57 am

What good does complaining do? I mean will they cancel that score and let you re-test? I'm not familiar with this type of thing.

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:08 am

What good does complaining do?
If they receive enough complaints, they will choose a different location for the test next time. It helps future test takers.

lsat180

New

Post by lsat180 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:09 am

I see, I wouldn't waste a lot of time trying to complain though if it won't personally help your score/circumstance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:15 am

Such a nice guy you are.

lsat180

New

Post by lsat180 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:22 am

If only I could be as nice as you NewHere.

BeccaLynn

New

Post by BeccaLynn » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:13 am

Actually, I'm with him. The main testing site listed for this country is at a different university anyway. I think it was a fluke that they used the university I had to go to. Plus, not many Koreans are likely to complain; it's not the way they do things here. I'm not one to tattle...but if there is something in it for me, considering how awful the conditions were, I might. I think I have a legit complaint(s). I promise I'm not just a trouble-maker.

lsat180

New

Post by lsat180 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:21 am

I agree Becca.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:45 am

It's not clear to me what would be in it for you unless you plan to retake the test and are hoping the conditions will be better.

BTW, what was the site? Was it someplace like Seoul National or Yonsei or something?

BeccaLynn

New

Post by BeccaLynn » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:50 am

The site was <EDIT>. I remember thinking when I first saw the place, "How nice. They have an elementary school on campus for the mothers who attend." Now, I think, "Where are the god damned fathers anyway!" *sigh*

I'm praying I won't have to retake. I think I saw a different center up for the Sept. test.
Last edited by BeccaLynn on Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

dssinc

New

Post by dssinc » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 am

So it never occurred to you that if someone else took the time to do the right thing last time around that you wouldn't have been stuck with a lousy test center this time around?

As you get older -- and hopefully more mature -- you will hopefully begin to realize that altruism is a virtue that pays off for everyone over time, including yourself.

BeccaLynn

New

Post by BeccaLynn » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:59 am

...read. Not the normal test site.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:00 am

Wow....that was preachy.

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:04 am

But true.

Even if it wasn't the normal test site. You don't know if in a year or two they'll need a replacement test center again, and they'll choose the same one; no one complained last time, so it must have been OK.

BeccaLynn

New

Post by BeccaLynn » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:12 am

You said yourself that if only one person complains that it won't change much. I'm telling you, I know the culture; these people aren't complaining. Furthermore, there were a minute number of foreigners there, most probably - like me - so glad there was a test center here that they don't feel entitled to complain. What's more, we were all in different rooms, which were on different floors, presumably on different sides of the building. Thus, we may have had different experiences.

What I'm looking for is not a lecture. It's not people wanting to espouse their principles for everyone on the web. What I want is someone with some information. What will happen? From what I've read, it can slow your score. I'm not willing to put my score on the line here. Call me immature if you like.

highlyappealing

New

Post by highlyappealing » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:15 am

I say it can't hurt writing a letter to LSAC. The LSAT is only given 4 times a year, and while they can't necessarily be responsible for kids yelling or whatever, they can certainly ensure that the proctors speak English and have proper training. The test is stressful enough as it is, no reason to add unnecessary anxiety.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:16 am

Perhaps you want to hold off on any decisions regarding this until you get your score. I am sure that putting in a complaint won't help your score anyway.

DelDad

Bronze

Post by DelDad » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:19 am

If you write that you are not interested in challenging your score, but rather just to give feedback on the site, your score will not be delayed, but the comments will be noted, and likely taken in the context you give them - if you note the fact that you realize few people there would be likely to complain, but these were your experiences, etc. That letter may be worth something more than a single letter re:a standard site. I don't know that for sure, but expect it would be the case.

If you would theoretically be looking for the opportunity to retake or to challenge your score, that A) won't happen B) will likely delay your score.

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:20 am

What I'm looking for is not a lecture.
No, but you're asking for an opinion, and we are giving it.

Complaining is not the same as canceling. It's unlikely that they are going to give you points to compensate, and equally unlikely that they are going to declare the test voided unless you ask for it to be canceled. I don't think you can hurt your score by complaining. But if you want to be sure, you could always wait until you get your score back in three weeks, as awsomepossum suggests.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:22 am

Catfight!!!!

RARRRRRRRRRRRRRR

:P

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:29 am

:-)

Yeah, sorry, I'm not picking a fight. I understand you would hesitate to file a complaint if it could affect your score. I just don't think it could, unless you asked for it.

BeccaLynn

New

Post by BeccaLynn » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:29 am

Thanks, DelDad. That's some solid advice.

NewHere, next time I'll specify that I prefer opinions with some empathy.

lsat180

New

Post by lsat180 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:32 am

NewHere what was your major?

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:39 am

Let's get ready to rummmmblllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

Ok...seriously though. Post-LSAT you want to do something about the LSAT. You can't get your score, you can't get your mind off it..... and it's driving you crazy.

My advice (with empathy) ...forget about the LSAT for a while. Treat yourself. Go to the beach. Get a massage. Get hammered. Eat some sannakchi. Buy something fun and frivolous. Start a new book. Catch up on work you've been neglecting because of the LSAT...... You can't do anything about yesterday (except cancel). Assuming you aren't going to cancel.... don't think about the LSAT or law school for a while.

I think that's the best thing you can do for yourself.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”