Have you ever read an answer choice that made you laugh?

savesthedayajb

Have you ever read an answer choice that made you laugh?

Postby savesthedayajb » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Post some examples. I need to laugh a bit and I'm sure other people posting here need to as well.

I'll start it off:

PT 26 Section 2 #2 "Most problems associated with child-rearing can be solved with a little imagination"

I know it isn't the funniest but it definitely made me laugh.

Grond

Re: Have you ever read an answer choice that made you laugh?

Postby Grond » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:30 pm

Neither Neptune nor Pluto is as massive as Uranus.

Raskolnikoff

Postby Raskolnikoff » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:32 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:Post some examples. I need to laugh a bit and I'm sure other people posting here need to as well.

I'll start it off:

PT 26 Section 2 #2 "Most problems associated with child-rearing can be solved with a little imagination"

I know it isn't the funniest but it definitely made me laugh.

lmao!

heyyitskatie

Postby heyyitskatie » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:42 pm

Grond wrote:Neither Neptune nor Pluto is as massive as Uranus.

Teehee.

GypsyGrL

Postby GypsyGrL » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:43 pm

i read a hilarious one about secretaries repeating positive statements like "i enjoy word processing" etc. having more positive work attitudes that cracked me up. it just seemed so stupid.

i actually find humor on the lsat really refreshing esp when nervous.

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:13 am

There was one that was like, "Each moment in Vladimir's life is followed by another, therefore Vladimir will live forever." For whatever reason, I thought that was hilarious.

hypermeganet

Postby hypermeganet » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:16 am

I find the names that the games use to be often hilarious. I was doing the car washing game last night and the last question inserts a new person to have their car washed: Jabron.

I laughed out loud when I got to it.

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:00 am

you have to love how multi-cultural LSAT writers are when they choose the names for the logic games... Usmail, Jabron, Luis, George,

Ssoto0055

Postby Ssoto0055 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:03 am

hypermeganet wrote:I find the names that the games use to be often hilarious. I was doing the car washing game last night and the last question inserts a new person to have their car washed: Jabron.

I have always found it funny how they are so politically correct with the names. They try to make it so all races are represented in the names.

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:38 am

Ssoto0055 wrote:
hypermeganet wrote:I find the names that the games use to be often hilarious. I was doing the car washing game last night and the last question inserts a new person to have their car washed: Jabron.

I have always found it funny how they are so politically correct with the names. They try to make it so all races are represented in the names.

I don't know that it's necessarily political correctness. They would want to limit the bias of the test toward WASPs, a common complaint against standardized tests. Imagine:

"Alistair, Brantforth, Charles II, Danforth, and Edward are at the yacht club. The five of them must man a monohull, catamaran, and trimaran, and each one can only help man one yacht. The monohull and trimaran are single-masted Bermuda rigged sloops, with a single fore-sail of the jib type and a single mainsail. The catamaran has a Spinnaker sail."

JetsMets

Postby JetsMets » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:42 am

The entire pre-soaked beans question cracked me up.

hypermeganet

Postby hypermeganet » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:47 am

msoftceo wrote:
Ssoto0055 wrote:

I don't know that it's necessarily political correctness. They would want to limit the bias of the test toward WASPs, a common complaint against standardized tests. Imagine:

"Alistair, Brantforth, Charles II, Danforth, and Edward are at the yacht club. The five of them must man a monohull, catamaran, and trimaran, and each one can only help man one yacht. The monohull and trimaran are single-masted Bermuda rigged sloops, with a single fore-sail of the jib type and a single mainsail. The catamaran has a Spinnaker sail."

I always figured part of it was that if you constantly use John, Jack, and Jane as your names you're more easily associating the person with the task. Tossing in crazy names can keep you from associating the name with a person with the task. Zabrilon must dance with Janicey is at least somewhat more difficult to visualize than Zach must dance with Jane.

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:50 am

Every now and then when I am writing out my explanations for each LR answer choice, I find myself writing "lol" underneath the choice.

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:18 am

doinmybest wrote:Every now and then when I am writing out my explanations for each LR answer choice, I find myself writing "lol" underneath the choice.

:lol:
That's actually a very efficient shorthand.

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:25 am

TheLuckyOne wrote:
doinmybest wrote:Every now and then when I am writing out my explanations for each LR answer choice, I find myself writing "lol" underneath the choice.

:lol:
That's actually a very efficient shorthand.

Of course. I find that if I can pick out the answer choices that are wrong because they make me laugh out loud on test day then I'm one step closer to finding the credited response.

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:29 am

msoftceo wrote:
Ssoto0055 wrote:

Because all WASPs know everything about sailing.

hypermeganet

Postby hypermeganet » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:43 am

LawandOrder wrote:
msoftceo wrote:
Ssoto0055 wrote:

All rich white people are WASPs.
All WASPs are members of yacht clubs.
All yacht clubs require total knowledge about sailing to be a member.
All WASPs know everything about sailing.

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:44 am

hypermeganet wrote:
LawandOrder wrote:
msoftceo wrote:
Ssoto0055 wrote:

All rich white people are WASPs.
All WASPs are members of yacht clubs.
All yacht clubs require total knowledge about sailing to be a member.
All WASPs know everything about sailing.

I can't argue with that logic!

bkbkbk

Postby bkbkbk » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:01 pm

I have run into a couple in PTs but the LR Bible has me laughing at least once a sitting due to how the narrator depicts the LSAT test writers. The LR bible regularly belittles and vilifies them which makes me happy since I am not too fond of them while taking the PT's. I will have to post the next instance I come across.

Gloriaha

Postby Gloriaha » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:12 am

I always laugh at the RC questions that ask about the author's attitude. Imagine the author having the following reactions, it's just funny:

respectful dismissal (ahem, yes thank you very much, but no thank you just the same, cheerio my good man!)
unrestrained enthusiasm (hell yes budday, crack open that kegger and lez GO!)
grudging acceptance (oh very well then I suppose, if we must, tsk, fine.)
noncommittal curiosity (really?)

bkbkbk

Postby bkbkbk » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:36 pm

From the LR Bible:
In logic there are many more recognized forms of invalid argumentation than there are forms of valid argumentation. The test makers, being human (yes, it's true), tend to repeat certain forms when creating stimuli and answer choices, and you can gain a demonstrable advantage by learning the forms most often used by test makers.

I know it sounds dry now but after reading tons of dense material it is refreshing.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:48 pm

There's one LR answer that tells of a woman lying to her son because she doesn't want him to know she loves his sister more.

bkbkbk

Postby bkbkbk » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:50 pm

Found another:
In the real world, you will often hear source arguments used by children and politicians (the two being alike in a number of ways, of course).

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:58 pm

I definitely laughed at an explanation the LRB gave for a correct paraphrase of an argument, "Clearly, the second arrangement is far superior because it makes sense." I laughed out loud in the quiet library and people just looked at me with mad faces.

eja505

Postby eja505 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:09 pm

I like that whenever they have two people in an argument, and you have to determine why one person's argument is questionable, one of the answer choices is always "Bob responds to Fred by attacking Fred's character." Occasionally that's the correct answer, but when it's not it's hilarious in an LSAT kind of way.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”