LSAT Express iPhone App

JackSpadesSI

LSAT Express iPhone App

Postby JackSpadesSI » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:57 am

Has anyone tried the “LSAT Express” (by Watermelon Express LLC) app for the iPhone/iPod Touch? I’m interested in finding an LSAT prep application for on-the-go work. If this application isn’t very good, can someone recommend a different iPhone/iPod Touch app for the LSAT?

This is for on-the-go preparation only – I’ll still be working from Kaplan and actual past LSATs when I’m at home with a desk in front of me. Therefore I’m not asking if this is the BEST way possible to study… only if it is a decent one. Obviously, if it is so bad that it would actually detract from my LSAT prep I’d like to know that, too.

It costs $19.99 so I’m not going to buy it if it is awful. If it is ok and it works I guess I don’t mind the cost, though.

Watermelon Express also makes some other, smaller apps for LSAT prep: “LSAT Course – Arguments (Logical Reasoning)” for $4.99, “LSAT Review” for $9.99, “LSAT Course – Games” for $4.99, “LSAT Course – Reading Comprehension” for $1.99. Does anyone have any thoughts on those, either? Is the whole LSAT Express for $19.99 more worth it than LR+Games+RC for $11.97?

Thanks!

General Tso

Re: LSAT Express iPhone App

Postby General Tso » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:29 pm

y dont you start with the cheap one first and see if its helpful

iminlstrick

Postby iminlstrick » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:32 pm

Do you know if these apps use real LSAT questions?

jlw7632

Postby jlw7632 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:30 pm

Ask Andrew Brody

VeritasVII

Postby VeritasVII » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Or use the search function to see that I made a topic about this exact thing... *sigh*

LSAT express is pretty good though sometimes you'll see questions repeat. I've had it happen 2-3 times but I've mainly been working with the logic reasoning questions. Good app for on the go, but the problem with on the go, it usualy means you don't have time to sit there and map out an entire logic game. I've only really done the logic reasoning questions. Most of them seem a bit easier than real lsat questions. Good background, but I caan easily identify the answers on LSAT Express where on lsat questions I can get confused.. but maybe thats because I've just been studying and have gotten better. It is good, but not sure if its $20 good.

*cough*http://appulo.us/appdb/*cough*

.....Jailbreak!
:D

PrayingforHYS

Postby PrayingforHYS » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:07 am

VeritasVII wrote:Or use the search function to see that I made a topic about this exact thing... *sigh*

LSAT express is pretty good though sometimes you'll see questions repeat. I've had it happen 2-3 times but I've mainly been working with the logic reasoning questions. Good app for on the go, but the problem with on the go, it usualy means you don't have time to sit there and map out an entire logic game. I've only really done the logic reasoning questions. Most of them seem a bit easier than real lsat questions. Good background, but I caan easily identify the answers on LSAT Express where on lsat questions I can get confused.. but maybe thats because I've just been studying and have gotten better. It is good, but not sure if its $20 good.

*cough*http://appulo.us/appdb/*cough*

.....Jailbreak!
:D

hmmm, it says on that website that the app has over 500 questions and explanations, which I think would be very helpful. The thing I like about the LRB is that it explains all the questions to which you get as practice. Once you start taking those PTs, if you get a question wrong and you have the correct answer in front of you, that may or may not help you understand WHY it's correct, and that's crucial.

i've gotten pretty good at LR now, but there still seems 1, maybe 2 questions in each LR section where--even when i have the right answer--i'm just staring at the page going "huh?"

i mean, i would ask people on these forums why question X from PT Y is correct and i'm sure they could probably give me the correct answer, but to do that 1-2 times per LR section if i have questions?

Seems like the app could be worth it. $20 though? hmmm.

anybody else have a first-hand review to share?

Counsel1

Postby Counsel1 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:39 pm

I'd recommend going with the EduPath app - they use real LSAT questions....
Just make sure you read the directions or pay attention to the demo, as you have to rotate the phone to move through the question flow.

justwhisper

Postby justwhisper » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:00 pm

Even if they did use real LSAT questions, why would you want to burn through these questions and run the accuracy of your preptests?

Things like this are novelty, not actually practical.

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:07 pm

I actually bought that (so I could go through them at work) and it was a pretty big waste of money, the RC is difficult to navigate (I lost my iTouch a few weeks ago) but from what I recall you couldnt see both the passage and the questions. The LR is okay, but noticeably(?) easier than the real thing. I also dont think they use realy questions. Laslty the LG isnt really worth it cause you cant diagram well. I would say if you really want to do this then scan lsats to .pdf's and email them to yourself and go through those.... its really not a good investment

successlink

Postby successlink » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:25 pm

We recommend the edupath app to students and have had good success with it.

On reading comp and analytical reasoning, we generally want students to :
1) read the question first
2) read specifically for the necessary info (directed reading)
3) anticipate an answer before going on to the answer choices (which is a habit that a lot of students have a hard time getting used to)
4) be serious about process of elimination
5) and whenever possible, answer the question based on their anticipated answer and WITHOUT going back to the passage again.

What we like about this app is that it forces students to practice the way we want them to approach the test. Otherwise, we can teach students all of the techniques we want, but when they go home and practice, they rarely stick to steps 3, 4 & 5 so their scores don't go up as much as they could.

Likewise, the logic games requires that students diagram the rules before they can go on to the individual questions. I admit that the iphone screen size can make diagraming challenging (this would be a great ipad app), but the grid option they provide works pretty well, and for us, it is mostly about reinforcing the habit.

eupelia

Postby eupelia » Sun May 02, 2010 1:00 am

It sucked a little. It had some nice things, like you can create practice tests.

It worked well for a person just starting out or gettingin the 150s because the lessons start basic.
It's especially awesome if you have a long commute whereyou don't drive. I bought it just to keep LSAT on the mind anywhere I was...at the doctors office, in line for returns at walmart, where ever.

walker_gmatclub

Postby walker_gmatclub » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:13 pm

Hi,

Two months ago we released LSAT ToolKit iPhone/iPod/iPad App and if somebody tried it, it would be very helpful to hear your thoughts... critique is welcome!

Best,
Walker

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”