179 LSAT, 154 diagnostic, taking questions, giving advice...

SabermetricFan

Re: 179 LSAT, 154 diagnostic, taking questions, giving advice...

Postby SabermetricFan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:51 pm

Stanley Otto Swift wrote:
Batman2 wrote:I am taking the June '10 Lsat; when do you think I should take my diagnostic, and begin intensive studying?

I wouldn't start studying in earnest until 3 or 4 months before the test. This is plenty of time.

+1

Diehards like us probably take 30-40 past LSAT tests before the actual one.

It seems absurd but you can easily do that in a 3-4 month period. They become fun, challenging and somewhat addictive.

If you study now by the time March rolls around you'll be out of material or close to it. Since logic is easier to hold onto than memorizing facts, it may not matter if you dnt study for 3 months, but why risk it? Its alwasy nice to take one test a week, get a target score and feel confident.

Also, studying should not be your life. I made it my life for this summer - I can't imagine doing that for close to a calendar year. If you graduate at the head of whatever law school you go to you should be fine. There is life after 'Not Being Accepted into Yale'.

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:52 pm

solotee wrote:What did your PT scores look like a month before your first sitting?

I was around 170 at that time. This is before I took the plunge and told myself I would beat the test no matter the cost.

By "taking the plunge" you mean upping the intensity? Additionally, did you experiment with 32 minute sections to improve speed?

solotee

Postby solotee » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:54 pm

SabermetricFan wrote:
Batman2 wrote:I am taking the June '10 Lsat; when do you think I should take my diagnostic, and begin intensive studying?

I wouldn't start studying in earnest until 3 or 4 months before the test. This is plenty of time.

+1

It seems absurd but you can easily do that in a 3-4 month period. They become fun, challenging and somewhat addictive.

If you study now by the time March rolls around you'll be out of material or close to it. Since logic is easier to hold onto than memorizing facts, it may not matter if you dnt study for 3 months, but why risk it? Its alwasy nice to take one test a week, get a target score and feel confident.

Also, studying should not be your life. I made it my life for this summer - I can't imagine doing that for close to a calendar year. If you graduate at the head of whatever law school you go to you should be fine. There is life after 'Not Being Accepted into Yale'.

My mistake as well. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. You might start neglecting many important things in your life only to find out that you may not reach that top score. Balance is key.

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:56 pm

i dont know if this question will be really relative to you but here goes.

i took the LSAT this past june 09. bombed it kinda (160). but the score was expected because i was PTing around 158 to 168 before that exam.

i plan on taking it again this sept 09. i took all the PTs once in prepping for the june exam. so i decided to stay away from fake questions and retake the PTs from 7 to june 09 one. since July 1st, i've plowed through 10 actual lsat, 10 more actual lsat and am on the 3rd PT of the 10 next actual lsat book. the 9 most recent PTs have ranged from 170-177. I go through all the logical processes for LR and LG. and try to avoid going straight to answers for familiar questions. for RC I never reviewed the incorrect questions in the beginning and its been a year since my 1st taking of the PTs so i can't remember much.

the question is...when you got the 174 the first time or even the canceled score, did you happen to take all the PTs out there? if you did, how did you prep for the 2nd and 3rd exams?

also, i've been reviewing LR questions i get wrong by writing out why the correct is correct an why incorrect is incorrect. do you have any advice on reviewing LR questions?

thanks alot.

-KommonOddity_

Postby -KommonOddity_ » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:01 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:Keep in mind it's not possible for everyone to prep themselves into the 99%ile. Some ppl will just max out at a 160 or 165.

I got a 154 on my original diagnostic last June and got a 176 on PT 43 yesterday. Hopefully will make it as high as you on the real thing.

It's clearly possible, what you must consider is the amount of time you're giving yourself in between PT's to fully accept and understand where you went wrong in previous ones. Knowing is everything, even if it's knowing why you you got a question right. Doing this will determine how well you tackle more difficult problems. (Trust me, I know.)

I would guess that laziness is another reason why many people do not achieve their optimal score. Ultimately, the plan is to CONSISTENTLY prepare as if you're life depended on it, and If you don't, well maybe you just didn't want it that bad. Just my 2 cents. :)

Batman2

Postby Batman2 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:02 am

SabermetricFan wrote:

+1

Thanks to both of you. I bought all my prep books, but have been looking more and more into studying, and I think you guys are right. I plan on spending the next few months reading up on informal logic and the economist. I will probably take my diagnostic over Xmas break, then figure out my plan of attack.

Skadden Stairs

Postby Skadden Stairs » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:03 am

So I take it you didn't end up retaking in Feb/June?

Shame. :mrgreen:

Stanley Otto Swift

Postby Stanley Otto Swift » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:12 am

Olive wrote:If you could give one piece of advice about improving LR what would it be (aside from seeing the patterns)?

What helped me most with LR was practicing the hardest questions un-timed until I had them cold. When you get into the 165 range you should have some idea of what types of questions give you the most difficulty. Then it's just a matter of focusing your energy on them until you "get it." Easier said than done I know, but when you miss an LR you've made 2 mistakes; you picked an answer that's incorrect and you've ruled out the correct response. Somewhere in there is an egregious logical mistake. Find it.

Stanley Otto Swift

Postby Stanley Otto Swift » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:14 am

doinmybest wrote:
By "taking the plunge" you mean upping the intensity? Additionally, did you experiment with 32 minute sections to improve speed?

Yes. I never did 32 minute sections, but I know some people who swear by this.

bkbkbk

Postby bkbkbk » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:19 am

So... where are you applying?

Stanley Otto Swift

Postby Stanley Otto Swift » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:21 am

nooyyllib wrote:i dont know if this question will be really relative to you but here goes.

i took the LSAT this past june 09. bombed it kinda (160). but the score was expected because i was PTing around 158 to 168 before that exam.

i plan on taking it again this sept 09. i took all the PTs once in prepping for the june exam. so i decided to stay away from fake questions and retake the PTs from 7 to june 09 one. since July 1st, i've plowed through 10 actual lsat, 10 more actual lsat and am on the 3rd PT of the 10 next actual lsat book. the 9 most recent PTs have ranged from 170-177. I go through all the logical processes for LR and LG. and try to avoid going straight to answers for familiar questions. for RC I never reviewed the incorrect questions in the beginning and its been a year since my 1st taking of the PTs so i can't remember much.

the question is...when you got the 174 the first time or even the canceled score, did you happen to take all the PTs out there? if you did, how did you prep for the 2nd and 3rd exams?

also, i've been reviewing LR questions i get wrong by writing out why the correct is correct an why incorrect is incorrect. do you have any advice on reviewing LR questions?

thanks alot.

First time I didn't use close to all the exams. Second time I burned through all but a few and followed the advice of LSAT-God Bernie:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prel ... 343.0.html

I like the idea of writing out explanations for LR. It is time-consuming though.

Stanley Otto Swift

Postby Stanley Otto Swift » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:23 am

lex talionis wrote:So I take it you didn't end up retaking in Feb/June?

Shame. :mrgreen:

I thought about June but just didn't have time.

Stanley Otto Swift

Postby Stanley Otto Swift » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:24 am

bkbkbk wrote:So... where are you applying?

I applied last winter and will be attending HYS

jackassjim

Postby jackassjim » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:25 am

They really should not sell original practice tests. This level of practice is ridiculous. What's the point of having a standardized test if you allow kids who have enough free time (read: no serious obligations) to take half-time off for 9 months to study for it? Maybe not selling PTs is a bad solution, I don't know, but 450 hours of prep seems ridiculous to me. They're just shooting in the leg people like me who have families, work, etc.
Last edited by jackassjim on Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

bkbkbk

Postby bkbkbk » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:26 am

bkbkbk wrote:So... where are you applying?

I applied last winter and will be attending HYS

Congrats on your prospects and thanks for taking the time to help those of us still studying.

DavidYurman85

Postby DavidYurman85 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:28 am

Did you practice with any non-official LSAC prep material?

edit: typed too many words

stayway

Postby stayway » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:29 am

jackassjim wrote:They really should not sell original practice tests. This level of practice is ridiculous. What's the point of having a standardized test if you allow kids who have enough free time (read: no serious obligations) to take half-time off for 9 months to study for it? Maybe not selling PTs is a bad solution, I don't know, but 450 hours of prep seems ridiculous to me.

450 hours of prep is NOTHING if you know how important the LSAT is to the admission process. And how getting into top ranked law school will effect your future (job offers/ability to pay off the loans).

Stanley Otto Swift

Postby Stanley Otto Swift » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:29 am

jackassjim wrote:They really should not sell original practice tests. This level of practice is ridiculous. What's the point of having a standardized test if you allow kids who have enough free time (read: no serious obligations) to take half-time off for 9 months to study for it? Maybe not selling PTs is a bad solution, I don't know, but 450 hours of prep seems ridiculous to me. Their just shooting in the leg people like me who have families, work, etc.

Life's not fair. FWIW, I had a full-time job (50+ hrs per week) during my prep. Having a family was your decision, don't blame me because I have more time than you.

stayway

Postby stayway » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:30 am

jackassjim wrote:They really should not sell original practice tests. This level of practice is ridiculous. What's the point of having a standardized test if you allow kids who have enough free time (read: no serious obligations) to take half-time off for 9 months to study for it? Maybe not selling PTs is a bad solution, I don't know, but 450 hours of prep seems ridiculous to me. Their just shooting in the leg people like me who have families, work, etc.

Life's not fair. FWIW, I had a full-time job (50+ hrs per week) during my prep. Having a family was your decision, don't blame me because I have more time than you.

+1

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:30 am

jackassjim wrote:They really should not sell original practice tests. This level of practice is ridiculous. What's the point of having a standardized test if you allow kids who have enough free time (read: no serious obligations) to take half-time off for 9 months to study for it? Maybe not selling PTs is a bad solution, I don't know, but 450 hours of prep seems ridiculous to me. They're just shooting in the leg people like me who have families, work, etc.

:lol: what's your point?

Space_Cowboy

Postby Space_Cowboy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:33 am

jackassjim wrote:They really should not sell original practice tests. This level of practice is ridiculous. What's the point of having a standardized test if you allow kids who have enough free time (read: no serious obligations) to take half-time off for 9 months to study for it? Maybe not selling PTs is a bad solution, I don't know, but 450 hours of prep seems ridiculous to me. They're just shooting in the leg people like me who have families, work, etc.

Which prep company do you work for?

jackassjim

Postby jackassjim » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:33 am

nooyyllib wrote:
jackassjim wrote:They really should not sell original practice tests. This level of practice is ridiculous. What's the point of having a standardized test if you allow kids who have enough free time (read: no serious obligations) to take half-time off for 9 months to study for it? Maybe not selling PTs is a bad solution, I don't know, but 450 hours of prep seems ridiculous to me.

450 hours of prep is NOTHING if you know how important the LSAT is to the admission process. And how getting into top ranked law school will effect your future (job offers/ability to pay off the loans).

Sure, it might be NOTHING for someone who has the liberty to do it. That was precisely my point.

Oh, and have you been reading the xkcd comics?

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:35 am

nooyyllib wrote:

+1

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Batman2

Postby Batman2 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:35 am

Miracle wrote:

:lol: what's your point?

Lesson? Don't become preoccupied. If you want to become successful in law, you should dedicate yourself to law. I take student loans, and will take out additional loans so I can devote more time to LSAT prep. I will also wear a condom, if that will help.

jackassjim

Postby jackassjim » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:36 am

Sorry if I used your thread to rant like that. I wasn't blaming you. I know that life isn't fair, but I think that there are concrete ways in which LSAC could make it fairer.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”