179 LSAT, 154 diagnostic, taking questions, giving advice... Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ruleser

Silver

Re: 179 LSAT, 154 diagnostic, taking questions, giving advice...

Post by ruleser » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:31 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
rondemarino wrote:
ruleser wrote:Thanks for your tips/info. I love people who put the positive/don't set limits attitude out there. I've retaken 3 times and am going a 4th because I know I have high 170's in me - and I think it may be important not to think even that but to think/know 180 is possible - do you agree with that? Last exam I got 168 - -6 on LG, -5 RC, -3 LR - seems to me should be able to get -0 LG from what everyone says, and RC I started -2. What did it take you to get from -1 or -2 per section on LR to -0, and what was your number 1 error you used to make on RC?
Damn dude. I thought its 3 times and done?
You can take more than three times if they're spaced out in time enough or if a school grants you a waiver to take it again. It's useful for victims of recurring performance anxiety or people confident that they're smarter than the LSAT keeps telling them (and telling them and telling them and telling them) they are.
Yes - I got a waiver from a school I am bordeline at with my highest score.

My story (though i didn't have to share with them to get the waiver) is that I have had work conflicts and wasn't supposed to be able to take in Oct or Dec, but the night before in Oct I said forget it, I want to apply this year, so I skipped my work committment and showed up never having practiced - got a 162, was pretty happy but knew a few more points could help and, even though I had only 1 month til the Dec test and was working like crazy so had no time to study, I figured just being my second time I would add a couple -skipped another work committment, but oops, went down 1. So as the cycle went on I said this is ridiculous, I can do better, so I did a prep course, set to take it again in June, but work conflicted with the date again - I literally was heading a cruise to Alaska the week before the test, flew back into town at 8pm the night before after a week of glacier tours, etc. Still got 168, but didn't have full time to prep LG's/RC (got -3 total LR, but -6 LG and -5 RC) After my choice school saying I was border if I reapplied next cycle, I asked for a waiver and they gave it - so if I can add those 6 LG, plus at least a couple RC, I'll be golden...

See, not as silly as it seems once you have the details...

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:39 pm

sayan wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:
So are the last 2 sections guaranteed to be authentic?
The exp. section has always appeared in the first 3 sections. There is no official rule saying that it must appear in the first 3, as far as I know (maybe someone can prove me wrong), but LSAT has never broken with the trend.
Neat. So if the exp. is not a LR then you know immediately which section was the exp., right?
you could have something like LG LR LG RC LR, and then you wouldn't be able to tell which LG was exp. of course, in theory you could also have RC LR LG LR LR, and actually be able to pick out the exp. LR. but i dunno how often either one of those formats shows up, or if they show up at all.
Last edited by Lmao Zedong on Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:40 pm

GargamelITT wrote:
sayan wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:
So are the last 2 sections guaranteed to be authentic?
The exp. section has always appeared in the first 3 sections. There is no official rule saying that it must appear in the first 3, as far as I know (maybe someone can prove me wrong), but LSAT has never broken with the trend.
Neat. So if the exp. is not a LR then you know immediately which section was the exp., right?
you could have something like LG LR LG RC LR, and then you wouldn't be able to tell which LG was exp. i dunno how often that sort of thing happens though.
Very common - all three times I've taken it that was my setup

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:45 pm

ruleser wrote: Very common - all three times I've taken it that was my setup
well, there's the answer. man, i think i'd hate that setup.

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:46 pm

GargamelITT wrote:
ruleser wrote: Very common - all three times I've taken it that was my setup
well, there's the answer. man, i think i'd hate that setup.
I did because LG's were my worst section, but now I think I'd prefer it because extra LR/RC really probably taxes the brain - it's nice to just have the 2 LR and 1 RC

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rondemarino

Silver

Post by rondemarino » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:20 pm

<deleted for hijacking the the thread>

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:39 pm

ruleser wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
rondemarino wrote:
ruleser wrote:Thanks for your tips/info. I love people who put the positive/don't set limits attitude out there. I've retaken 3 times and am going a 4th because I know I have high 170's in me - and I think it may be important not to think even that but to think/know 180 is possible - do you agree with that? Last exam I got 168 - -6 on LG, -5 RC, -3 LR - seems to me should be able to get -0 LG from what everyone says, and RC I started -2. What did it take you to get from -1 or -2 per section on LR to -0, and what was your number 1 error you used to make on RC?
Damn dude. I thought its 3 times and done?
You can take more than three times if they're spaced out in time enough or if a school grants you a waiver to take it again. It's useful for victims of recurring performance anxiety or people confident that they're smarter than the LSAT keeps telling them (and telling them and telling them and telling them) they are.
Yes - I got a waiver from a school I am bordeline at with my highest score.

My story (though i didn't have to share with them to get the waiver) is that I have had work conflicts and wasn't supposed to be able to take in Oct or Dec, but the night before in Oct I said forget it, I want to apply this year, so I skipped my work committment and showed up never having practiced - got a 162, was pretty happy but knew a few more points could help and, even though I had only 1 month til the Dec test and was working like crazy so had no time to study, I figured just being my second time I would add a couple -skipped another work committment, but oops, went down 1. So as the cycle went on I said this is ridiculous, I can do better, so I did a prep course, set to take it again in June, but work conflicted with the date again - I literally was heading a cruise to Alaska the week before the test, flew back into town at 8pm the night before after a week of glacier tours, etc. Still got 168, but didn't have full time to prep LG's/RC (got -3 total LR, but -6 LG and -5 RC) After my choice school saying I was border if I reapplied next cycle, I asked for a waiver and they gave it - so if I can add those 6 LG, plus at least a couple RC, I'll be golden...

See, not as silly as it seems once you have the details...
No, still silly.

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:20 pm

Helmholtz wrote:No, still silly.
:shock:

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:22 pm

ruleser wrote:
To reiterate, you took it once without studying. You took it the second time without having enough time to study but decided to take the test anyway. The third time, you had to work on a cruise a week before the test and got into town at 8 PM the night before.

..........................?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:40 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
ruleser wrote:
To reiterate, you took it once without studying. You took it the second time without having enough time to study but decided to take the test anyway. The third time, you had to work on a cruise a week before the test and got into town at 8 PM the night before.

..........................?
That's just called reality - I could not get the time free for any of the dates. Only real option was to put it all off a year, which was the original plan, but as the date came I just didn't want to wait that long and who knew if the next year would be different - I really took a lot of heat for what I missed in Oct - still have enemies at work for not showing up for something that left high level people hanging. If I didn't take in Dec, I couldn't have a chance to increase the score for the cycle, so I gave it a go. The cruise thing, what could I do - and at least I took a course to prep, and studied as much as I could on the cruise (missed lots of potential fun)

To me it was more a frustating than silly thing - you just want to take a damn test, and work gets in the way every time. Looks like I am good for this time though - so far, more than a month out, in very good prep shape, and no conflicts - and will take a few days off from work before the test...

But yeah, if I wasn't in it dealing with all this stuff, I can see where someone would think taking it without studying is goofy

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:11 pm

Did your score ever drop and made you feel like you were going to get a low score on the test? And how did you cope with burn out?

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:31 am

jarofsoup wrote:Did your score ever drop and made you feel like you were going to get a low score on the test? And how did you cope with burn out?
+1

And may I ask what was your lowest score in the week/2 weeks before the test?

rondemarino

Silver

Post by rondemarino » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:23 am

ruleser wrote:That's just called reality - I could not get the time free for any of the dates. Only real option was to put it all off a year, which was the original plan, but as the date came I just didn't want to wait that long and who knew if the next year would be different - I really took a lot of heat for what I missed in Oct - still have enemies at work for not showing up for something that left high level people hanging. If I didn't take in Dec, I couldn't have a chance to increase the score for the cycle, so I gave it a go. The cruise thing, what could I do - and at least I took a course to prep, and studied as much as I could on the cruise (missed lots of potential fun)

To me it was more a frustating than silly thing - you just want to take a damn test, and work gets in the way every time. Looks like I am good for this time though - so far, more than a month out, in very good prep shape, and no conflicts - and will take a few days off from work before the test...

But yeah, if I wasn't in it dealing with all this stuff, I can see where someone would think taking it without studying is goofy
Now I gotta ask ... what exactly do you do for a living?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MixedGirl2009

New

Post by MixedGirl2009 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:40 am

With a full-time job, how many hours per day/what was your daily study routine like (i.e. 2 sections/day)? I am currently working 8 to 7 about 6 days a week and I am physically exhausted I can barely keep my eyes open and it is affecting my concentration levels - inspire me!

I am currently scoring mid-60s yet aiming for a 170+ end of September, I am planning on 2 sections + review 4 days a week and 2 days a week (weekends) for 2 to 3 practice tests + review. Is this a good idea? I really admire that you increased 9 points in about a month!!

InnoSource

New

Post by InnoSource » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:49 pm

when people say diagnostic..does this mean before they even prepared for the lsats...and they just took it without knowing what it looks like or maybe just being vaguely familiar with its contents? ...

or having prepared for the lsats but clearly not taking it on official test date.

Diuretic

New

Post by Diuretic » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:43 pm

InnoSource wrote:when people say diagnostic..does this mean before they even prepared for the lsats...and they just took it without knowing what it looks like or maybe just being vaguely familiar with its contents? ...

or having prepared for the lsats but clearly not taking it on official test date.
Generally, a diagnostic refers to the very first PT one takes without any prep.

WIth regards to the OP and anybody willing to answer, I was curious to the distribution you usually spend on a single passage in RC, in terms of time reading the passage vs time answering questions. Half, Half? 3 min : 5min? How well has it worked for you? I've been doing about half half, with careful reading of the passage once. On recent tests it doesn't seem to work for me due to the presence of harder, more time consuming questions (analogy, application questions). RC is by far my worst and most inconsistent section with 2-5 wrong each time on recent tests, its killing me :(.

Thanks to the OP and anyone willing to help.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:41 pm

InnoSource wrote:when people say diagnostic..does this mean before they even prepared for the lsats...and they just took it without knowing what it looks like or maybe just being vaguely familiar with its contents? ...

Diagnostics can be cold meaning you didn't study at all and may/may not have known the structure of the exam.
But my first PT (my diagnostic) was taken after I did a few sample problems and was aware of the structure of the exam and what a logic game was.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:43 pm

Diuretic wrote:

Generally, a diagnostic refers to the very first PT one takes without any prep.

WIth regards to the OP and anybody willing to answer, I was curious to the distribution you usually spend on a single passage in RC, in terms of time reading the passage vs time answering questions. Half, Half? 3 min : 5min? How well has it worked for you? I've been doing about half half, with careful reading of the passage once. On recent tests it doesn't seem to work for me due to the presence of harder, more time consuming questions (analogy, application questions). RC is by far my worst and most inconsistent section with 2-5 wrong each time on recent tests, its killing me :(.

Thanks to the OP and anyone willing to help.
I usually spend 3 minutes reading and 5 minutes answering questions (sometimes there are up to 7 questions in a passage and to read the stem as well as the answer choices and pick an answer would be too much to do 7 questions in 3.5/4 minutes).
Though I sometimes run out of time for 1-2 questions in RC too.

Stanley Otto Swift

New

Post by Stanley Otto Swift » Tue May 25, 2010 3:04 am

Sorry I neglected so many questions. I'll be around for a few days so feel free to ask more if you have them.
Last edited by Stanley Otto Swift on Tue May 25, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lebob

New

Post by lebob » Tue May 25, 2010 3:22 am

so, for the last 14 days before the test, any specific advice?

tapering down? going more hardcore? PTs? playing around? etc etc

thanks!

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Tue May 25, 2010 4:01 am

Stanley Otto Swift wrote:Sorry I neglected so many questions. I'll be around for a few days so feel free to ask more questions if you have them.
do you think that taking full practice tests or drilling types of questions is more beneficial? i was planning on saving the most recent ones (beginning with 41 or so) to take timed, but using the other earlier ones to drill skill sets (especially with LG types).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Stanley Otto Swift

New

Post by Stanley Otto Swift » Tue May 25, 2010 4:15 pm

lebob wrote:so, for the last 14 days before the test, any specific advice?

tapering down? going more hardcore? PTs? playing around? etc etc

thanks!
I think it depends on where you are in relation to your target score, although going hardcore always seems to be the best route for me. Is your LG perfect? If not, go hardcore on that.

Stanley Otto Swift

New

Post by Stanley Otto Swift » Tue May 25, 2010 4:16 pm

luxxe wrote:
Stanley Otto Swift wrote:Sorry I neglected so many questions. I'll be around for a few days so feel free to ask more questions if you have them.
do you think that taking full practice tests or drilling types of questions is more beneficial? i was planning on saving the most recent ones (beginning with 41 or so) to take timed, but using the other earlier ones to drill skill sets (especially with LG types).
I'd say doing full PTs is "more" beneficial. Your plan sounds very similar to what I did.

iwanta170

Bronze

Post by iwanta170 » Tue May 25, 2010 5:04 pm

Sorry if this has already been asked..

How did you prepare for the RC section and what are all of the strategies you utilized during that section when you took the test?

Stanley Otto Swift

New

Post by Stanley Otto Swift » Sun May 22, 2011 1:48 am

taking questions again if anyone has anything

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”