June 1996 Preptest 19; 2 logic game

nlaw

June 1996 Preptest 19; 2 logic game

Postby nlaw » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:21 pm

Theater with its workshops game. I can't figure it out. I don't really understand how to set the layout. Can somebody give me a hint, please?

KaplanLSATInstructor

Re: June 1996 Preptest 19; 2 logic game

Postby KaplanLSATInstructor » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:24 am

This is a fantastic game. The key to succeeding on it is understanding that last rule.

First off, there are five days for the four workshops -- each of which must be on two consecutive days (by the first rule). So, start by setting up five columns (one for each day). Each day has to have at least one workshop, but no more than two. So, put one slot in each day with the chance to add more.

Now comes that final rule. Basically, it says that Production and Rehearsal can't start until Lighting ends. So let's say Lighting is held on Monday and Tuesday. That means Production and Rehearsal will each start no earlier than Wednesday. In short:

LL...PP
LL...RR

So, when could Lighting run? It could be Monday & Tuesday or Tuesday & Wednesday. It can't be later in the week because then there wouldn't be enough time for Production and Rehearsal. Either way, one of Lighting's days will be Tuesday. Put that in your sketch.

Based on whenever Lighting goes, Production and Rehearsal can each go on either Wed & Thur or Thur & Fri. No matter what, one of the days for both workshops will be Thursday. So, put a P and R in Thursday. And that's it for Thursday (since there can't be more than two workshops on any given day).

The final thing to consider is Staging. While we know nothing about Staging, it's still limited as to when it can occur. Now that Thursday is filled up, Staging can't be on Thursday. It also can't be on Friday (since there wouldn't be a second consecutive day). That means Staging will be on Monday & Tuesday or Tuesday & Wednesday. Like Lighting, one of Staging's days has to be Tuesday. That fills up the schedule for Tuesday.

Some final notes:
* Monday still needs a workshop. It will be either Lighting or Staging -- or both.
* Wednesday still needs a workshop. It could be any of the four.
* Friday still needs a workshop. It will be either Production or Rehearsal -- or both.
* Don't assume that Production and Rehearsals have to have the same schedule. Production can be Wed/Thur while Rehearsals are Thur/Fri. They CAN have the same schedule, but they don't have to.

HTH. Let me know if you need further clarification.

- Chris

nlaw

Postby nlaw » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:36 am

Chris,

I appreciate it a lot. Thanks for helping me out, now it makes sense. I just got a little confused with this one :)

TwinGuns21

Postby TwinGuns21 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:56 pm

Once again TLS forum comes through. Thanks

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”