Reading Comp Author Attitude questions Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
pleasetryagain

Silver

Re: Reading Comp Author Attitude questions

Post by pleasetryagain » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:23 pm

Mall_cop$ wrote:For example, the AA toward the thesis mentioned in line 56 is revealed in which one of the following pairs of words? Then, the answer choices will list word pairs from the passage with line numbers: “extremism” (line 20) and “implausible” (line 24).

When answering these questions, what is the best approach? Specifically, can an answer choice be eliminated because of the word itself, or instead, should (must) you use the definition of the word as provided within the context of the line number mentioned?

These are, for me, time consuming and difficult.
pt 18? just did that one today. IIRC, I have never seen a question like this on the newer tests. I always eliminated the words that seemed wrong (either by definition or if I remembered the context) given what I interpreted the authors opinion to be. Then I go back and read the remaining ones in their context.

edited

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:35 pm

Mall_cop$ wrote:yea, it was in PT15, too. It's a review day...

'I always eliminated the words that seemed wrong'

This is what f-ed me up, my definition was a tad bit different than the one the passage used.
ive gotten pretty good at marking "attitude" words as I read and tend to remember them in the context/meaning they were used in the passage. If you arent good at this, try
1. There should always be ones that are obviously wrong.. for example if you know the author agrees with or supports the thesis in question you can eliminate any extreme negatives i.e "implausible", "ridiculous", etc.
2. Then eliminate any you remember the context of and know are wrong. This should leave you 2 or 3 that may be right.
3. If you dont remeber the context of the remaining words pick one of the words from each choice and quickly look back. If it doesnt fit, move onto the next until you find the best.

I dont know if that helps but thats how I approached questions like these (someimtes doing step 1 and 2 at the same time) until I got decent at preempting them. Like I said, I dont think Ive seen one with the double words like that since PT18.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:51 pm

Mall_cop$ wrote:Thx. I know it's rare, but I'm always expecting the test makers to bust out something new...
cough.. dinos.. cough :cry:

pre-law

New

Post by pre-law » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:52 pm

DCD wrote:
Mall_cop$ wrote:Thx. I know it's rare, but I'm always expecting the test makers to bust out something new...
cough.. dinos.. cough :cry:
The Dino game wasn't much of a new development at all. It was just another hybrid game. If you look at the recent tests, LSAC has been increasingly using hybrid games (ie a game that has sequencing and grouping elements or some other combination). They're trying to mix it up and be unpredictable. During the early 2000s, students could predict that there would be for example 1 purely linear game, 1 purely advanced linear game, and 2 purely grouping games in the section based on what they studied from the 1990s tests.

A few examples include the High School Debate game (#4) from PT 53 or the Fundy Bus Ride game (#4) from PT 55.

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:02 pm

Not that rare. There was a question like this on the June 09 exam.

ConsideringLawSchool

Bronze

Post by ConsideringLawSchool » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:52 pm

toolshed wrote:Not that rare. There was a question like this on the June 09 exam.
Yes. Any advice for approaching this question?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”