The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

ruleser

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby ruleser » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:38 pm

I've been hitting older PT's (late 1990's) because I'm out of fresh RC's/LG's to do. Anyone else find RC tougher back then - I hit like a -6 then a -4, albeit the curves are rather large, -14 = 170 for the second one, so even with -4 on RC I'm still at 180 (go figure). LG's I kicked butt on both (-0). I think the RC's just must be different enough that it's an adjustment, ??

HWS08

Postby HWS08 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:39 pm

visualpurple wrote:I've broken 170 twice (171 and 175), and it felt great. Hoping I can pull it off again in a week.

I've gotten above 170 3 or 4 times now, but seem to be stuck in a 168 rut for the past few PTs. Hopefully I get a 2+ point adrenaline boost on the big day. I'm kind of counting on all the nervous energy to help me focus.

solotee

Postby solotee » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:40 pm

PT 56

LG: -2 ehh..
LR: -3
LR: -3
RC: -8

raw: 84
Scaled: 166 (above my goal)

Guys remember, it's all about mentality on test day. Let's go into the test center knowing that we've done our homework and give it our best no matter what happens. Good luck!

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:46 pm

PT51

LR: -5
RC: -8 :shock: :x
LR: -4
LG: -0

83/166

Below my desired raw score but around my desired scaled score. PT 56&57 for next week.

Kulax22

Postby Kulax22 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:34 pm

solotee wrote:Guys remember, it's all about mentality on test day. Let's go into the test center knowing that we've done our homework and give it our best no matter what happens. Good luck!

+1

LSAT is making me more religious :!:

BigJiggaJ87

Postby BigJiggaJ87 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:09 pm

Kulax22 wrote:
solotee wrote:Guys remember, it's all about mentality on test day. Let's go into the test center knowing that we've done our homework and give it our best no matter what happens. Good luck!

+1

LSAT is making me more religious :!:

Amen.

LSAT N00b

Postby LSAT N00b » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:14 pm

Holy fuck. I made some stupid mistakes on the 2nd LR section on PT 52. I missed 2 on the first LR section, EIGHT on the second section. I chose some stupid ass answers. I don't know WTF happened.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:32 pm

I would agree with this more than anything. I think a lot of the drops now are people worrying. Understand, in your test room will be people who never took a PT, people like I was the first time, who didn't even prep/study at all, never mind PT, etc. I took that June 09 test that is kicking everyone's butt, and hit right on my PT avg, even though games are my weakest, etc. and I had them as section 1 (and 3). The key was, to know that even if something goes terribly wrong, (a -6 on LG, as I got) it doesn't mean the end. You can still get a 175, or even higher, depending on the curve. You don't know what the curve of the test will be, and there is no reason to F up the rest of your test. Think about that on test day - a -6 in a section and you can still get mid-170's. So just stay calm, have a short memory, and know you can absolutely repeat what you've done on your PTs, even beat them.

I got kicked by both LG and RC - -5 RC, and still got 168. Was PTing 169s consistently.

brose002

Postby brose002 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:27 am

I took practice test 57 today, and my chain of 170s was broken. I thought the test was extremely difficult, and found the LR to be particularly difficult. I get a 166 and a raw score of 85

LR1: -5
LG:-0
RC:-5
LR2:-6

I felt that this was by far the hardest LSAT that I have taken. I did not, however, see what all the fuss was about concerning the Dino game. I thought it was just a normal question.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:54 am

Did June 08 today:

My first 180
RC -1
LR1 -1
LG -1
LR2 -0

-3 = 180

The only caveat is I had a slight question on the timing with RC, I may have gone slightly over, not entirely sure (I only look at the minute hand, not the second arm - and when you are cramming into the last seconds, I really couldn't tell if I was giving 30 or 40 extra seconds because i didn't know when it started - usually doesn't come that close.) So maybe another -1 or -2 if my last answer or two would have timed out. In any case, I'll take the fact that I, with maybe just a few extra ticks, was able to finally 180.

So LR I feel ready, LG I do now as well, RC I still will work on this week - I generally get -1 or -2 but don't dominate like I can other sections - never a -0, and still scrambling for time at times. In any case, grain of salt. Ready to just lay it down on test day and see if this PT'ing/studying/etc all pays off...

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:25 pm

PT55

LR - 4
RC -5 (3 on the chinese talk-story... BLAH!)
LR -1 (wuwu!)
LG -1 (bus game)

raw 88
scaled 168 (-9 curve :? )

Obviously the chinese talk-story was difficult, especially that stupid analogy cloth question, I knew I missed it. That bus game really, really threw me off good. It took me about 11 minutes and I still managed to miss a question. I'd rather have dinosaurs that that crap again, seriously.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:03 pm

FOR THOSE WHO WERE ABLE TO FINISH PT 57 (JUNE 2009) GAMES SECTION WITHIN 35 MINUTES, WITHOUT MISSING ANY:

The Dino game didn't throw me off or seem overly hard but I guess it took me a while because I ran out of time for the last game. After the test I finished the last game and again, wasn't troubled by it.
How did you guys finish all of those within the time allotted? Sheer genius? (lol) or just working really fast? or were there some big inferences that helped narrow things down that I maybe missed?

Thanks

Kulax22

Postby Kulax22 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:13 pm

Just did PT56. Toughest RC I've ever done, imho. :shock: Anyone agree?

LG -3, LR -1, LR-2, RC-4. 90~171. Did old LGs for experimental.

I didn't finish the LGs, I missed the last 3 questions. Oddly I had OK amount of time left for LR and had to rush RC. I was hating that RC. Maybe just my mood (burnt out a bit)

lsb

Postby lsb » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:27 pm

Kulax22 wrote:Just did PT56. Toughest RC I've ever done, imho. :shock: Anyone agree?

I didn't finish the LGs, I missed the last 3 questions. Oddly I had OK amount of time left for LR and had to rush RC. I was hating that RC. Maybe just my mood (burnt out a bit)

Definitely must be burn out. I got my best RC score ever on PT 56. I was, however, in the zone (in fact I got my highest PT score ever).

So you found the LG harder than usual? I felt that it was a bit harder.

Is a 171 high or low for you?

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:02 pm

Kulax22 wrote:Just did PT56. Toughest RC I've ever done, imho. :shock: Anyone agree?

RC was tough on this one (long) When I took the actual administration, everyone coming out (including me) said the same thing, 'I was still on the third passage when 5 minutes was called)

LG's I think were ok with you get the if but only if thing

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:42 pm

The only passage I didn't like from this test was the Kin recognition one...I just kind of zoned out while reading it.

Kulax22

Postby Kulax22 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:47 pm

lsb wrote:Definitely must be burn out. I got my best RC score ever on PT 56. I was, however, in the zone (in fact I got my highest PT score ever).

So you found the LG harder than usual? I felt that it was a bit harder.

Is a 171 high or low for you?

:lol: I hope burn-out is the explanation... 171 is good for me but I've gone up to 178... so I usually do a bit better especially on RC.

LG seemed OK but it took me too damn long. I ran out of time :evil: :oops:

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:57 pm

My 170's breakthrough has yet to happen, despite feeling like I'm so freakin' close to getting there. Like, if I had another 2-3 weeks, I could totally pull it off.

Will probably re-take in December at this point... I am way too much of a perfectionist and I want to own this damn test already!

TTH

Postby TTH » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:01 pm

took this today as well. 87 ~ 168.

The RC was long as hell. I started the fourth passage with like four minutes left and remember saying to my girlfriend after I finished the section (right before time expired) that I had no idea what I read. That being said, I only missed one on the section.

The LG destroyed me. -8. I drew a blank on the "if but only if" rule in the furniture moving game, and missed four of the five questions on that game.

lsb

Postby lsb » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:05 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:

The RC was long as hell. I started the fourth passage with like four minutes left and remember saying to my girlfriend after I finished the section (right before time expired) that I had no idea what I read. That being said, I only missed one on the section.

The LG destroyed me. -8. I drew a blank on the "if but only if" rule in the furniture moving game, and missed four of the five questions on that game.

See I knew exactly how to diagram that but I still ended up getting -8. The last game kind of screwed me and I actually found the first game (balanced-linear) to have a couple hard ones. LOL.

TTH

Postby TTH » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:08 pm

lsb wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:

See I knew exactly how to diagram that but I still ended up getting -8. The last game kind of screwed me and I actually found the first game (balanced-linear) to have a couple hard ones. LOL.

Yeah. I think that was a pretty tough games section altogether. What's worse, the games section got in my head and I ended up missing 5 on the LR section afterwards. I did some pushups during the break, came back, and put up -1s on the 2nd LR and the RC, which made me feel good.

I feel like PTs 54, 55, and 56 should have left bloody quarters on the pillow for me. I'm sort of shocked they weren't curved more generously given how difficult they felt. My prep budget is gone, so no PT 57 for me. I'm going to work sections on some older tests and try to fine tune this week.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:25 am

PT 57 yesterday ... I've been consistently scoring lower on the newest tests and I don't know if it's a bit or burn out kicking in, or if it's the tests themselves. I'm hoping maybe some burn out which will be negated on test day with the added kick of it being the real deal. I just feel unfocused, I catch myself reading and rereading passages, sifting through answer choices but not even remembering the question and so having no clue what it is I'm looking for ... :? Anyone else feeling this way, or have some suggestions about how to push through?! I only have one more PT to take (PT50), planned for Wednesday. What should I do tonight and tomorrow to help snap out of this downward spiral?! Anywho here are the results.

LG -4 (Dinos was a little more complicated but nothing ridiculous, I thought as a group these were difficult LGs in comparison to other recent test)
LR -5 (OUCH, see above ... all issues seem to effect LR the most)
LG -0 (Experimental)
LR -4 (Again ^^ nearly everything in these two sections I missed I got right when I reviewed with little effort, I just wasn't concentrating)
RC -2 (Usually my worse section, thankfully it went well so my score wasn't HORRIBLE)

Raw +86
Scaled 167

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:31 am

PT 57 was a difficult test. I found LR2 to be especially tricky. As far as losing focus, I feel somewhat the same way. We've taken 15+ PT's along with doing timed sections etc for 2~ months. Even if it's unconscious, our minds are tired of this shit. This factor on top of more difficult tests (PT 52+ it starts getting serious) makes for lower scores. However, you did very well on the RC section which makes me feel like maybe you just had a bad day on LRs. Just re-work them, do some timed practice sections from the 30s to get your confidence back up, and kick the shit out of PT 50.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:55 am

missvik218 wrote:PT 57 yesterday ... I've been consistently scoring lower on the newest tests and I don't know if it's a bit or burn out kicking in, or if it's the tests themselves. I'm hoping maybe some burn out which will be negated on test day with the added kick of it being the real deal. I just feel unfocused, I catch myself reading and rereading passages, sifting through answer choices but not even remembering the question and so having no clue what it is I'm looking for ... :? Anyone else feeling this way, or have some suggestions about how to push through?! I only have one more PT to take (PT50), planned for Wednesday. What should I do tonight and tomorrow to help snap out of this downward spiral?! Anywho here are the results.

LG -4 (Dinos was a little more complicated but nothing ridiculous, I thought as a group these were difficult LGs in comparison to other recent test)
LR -5 (OUCH, see above ... all issues seem to effect LR the most)
LG -0 (Experimental)
LR -4 (Again ^^ nearly everything in these two sections I missed I got right when I reviewed with little effort, I just wasn't concentrating)
RC -2 (Usually my worse section, thankfully it went well so my score wasn't HORRIBLE)

Raw +86
Scaled 167

I would not worry about it. A lack of attention to the test is not a problem you're going to have on test day. I would say you're better off splitting up the final test and taking the sections individually, when your mind is refreshed, so you allow your brain to continue to absorb LSAT methods of thinking for the next week. You're not actually going to get better on the LSAT due to one more test, after all.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:09 am

Here is what I'm thinking for this week ...

Tonight - I will go over all incorrect answers (from 56 and 57), and rework all of the LG that gave me any trouble.
Tomorrow - I'll probably skim back over my LR Bible and do a few timed sections from PTs I haven't taken (most are in the 30s).
Wednesday - Own PT 50 (I get what you're saying Tanicius, but I think I want to go into the exam on a high note with a PT score I'm comfortable with ... even if it's just to trick myself into feeling confident, at this point that may be just as important for my score as anything else)
Thursday - Review PT 50, maybe another run through of LG Bible (review rare game types, and numerical distribution) and LR Bible with a timed section of each
Friday - Mani/Pedi maybe a LG section, LSAT game day prep, early to bed!
Saturday - 170+!!!!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”