The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

soupisgood

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby soupisgood » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:57 pm

ruleser wrote:
soupisgood wrote:PT 54 (timed w/ experimental)

RC: -3 (3B, 21D, 27E)
LR1: -2 (7A, 20A)
RC (exp): -3 (1A, 12C, 26A)
LG: -2 (1C, 22C)
LR2: -2 (8D, 21E)

Raw: 92
Scaled: 171

I'm happy that my RC scores are climbing back up (after I ditched the methods taught to me in my prep course, which were leading to -6 sections), but a little disappointed by my sloppy mistakes in LG, considering that I finished the section with several minutes to spare. Though on a happier note, my experimental RC was from PT 45, with the Hippocratic oath passage I had heard so much about. I was glad to see that I didn't bomb it, like I did that Chinese talk story passage in 55. :lol:

+1 Which course did you take? I took PowerScore - I went from -2 on an actual LSAT prior to the course to -5's and 6's (-5 on the actual LSAT) Deal is there is nothing much to teach about RC, but PowerScore wants to pretend they offer something so they get you to underline, make notes of lists, etc. It can ruin you. I had forgotten how I used to do it - still don't really remember, but now just back to reading through without underlining and getting -1 or -2.

Blueprint for me; their methods sound pretty similar to PS's. Some of my friends have found it helpful, but I think the new method just confused me. I found myself not reading the passages thoroughly enough in the interest of listing out POV's and the like, which I never had much difficulties spotting to begin with. Hopefully I get back to that -1/-2 that I was getting in the next week or two.

rbhesser

Postby rbhesser » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:46 pm

Has anybody done the free test from Kaplan?

I'm signed up to take it next week at my actual test site. But it would mean that I miss College Gameday, and possibly the very beginning of the UT-UF game. I'm trying to decide if its worth it. haha.

thoughts?

BigJiggaJ87

Postby BigJiggaJ87 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:56 pm

rbhesser wrote:Has anybody done the free test from Kaplan?

I'm signed up to take it next week at my actual test site. But it would mean that I miss College Gameday, and possibly the very beginning of the UT-UF game. I'm trying to decide if its worth it. haha.

thoughts?

It's not too bad if you don't mind sitting through the mandatory sales pitch. Kaplan does a good job of creating a realistic testing situation.

lsb

Postby lsb » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:07 pm

thoughts?

I am doing this Wednesday, but I want to bring my own PT (a newer test) and not one that I they have provided and that I have potentially done before.

Do you think they would have a problem with me bringing my own test and just telling them that I'm trying to simulate conditions?

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:21 am

thoughts?

I did it - definitely worth it - just to get an almost-real feel for what test day will be. (I've done the real thing, and it's somewhat similar)

Today did December 2006:
Good but frustrating:
RC -2 (still never -0)
LG -1 (dumb error)
LR1 -1
LR2 -1

Total -5= 178

One note though - I did a bubbling error in LG - I caught it mid-section, went back, thought I had fixed it all, yet even after finishing 5 minutes early and reviewing, I missed that I still had 5 misbubbled (put one answer 2x then the next four were down by one, one extra answer total). Sheesh that's scary - on test day that would have been another -4 for that section. One more thing to keep in mind, watch the bubbling...

Second consecutive 178. Previously was in a string of 175's. Have had a few worse sections which I did separate, but pretty glad about repeating 178. The key to the jump from 175 to 178 is circling anything I'm not 100% on and going back - in each LR on this test I found 1 that I didn't really suspect were issues but turned out to be wrong - also did that for 1 in RC. Those are the extra +1's that are bumping me up over the 175 barrier to 178. Funny though, my remaining errors have a few dumb ones in there.

Overall pretty happy. Now want more -0 sections, especially my first RC -0. Since the LG error was a dumb one and one of the LR's was, 180 really seems doable.

Also have started doing some sections at work in the AM, since I am there right about what will be test time - not the best idea because of interruptions, but still was nice to get in. I think AM actually might be easier, the mind less wandering - anyone else find that?

lsb

Postby lsb » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:24 am

ruleser wrote:

thoughts?

I did it - definitely worth it - just to get an almost-real feel for what test day will be. (I've done the real thing, and it's somewhat similar)

Today did December 2006:
Good but frustrating:
RC -2 (still never -0)
LG -1 (dumb error)
LR1 -1
LR2 -1

Total -5= 178

One note though - I did a bubbling error in LG - I caught it mid-section, went back, thought I had fixed it all, yet even after finishing 5 minutes early and reviewing, I missed that I still had 5 misbubbled (put one answer 2x then the next four were down by one, one extra answer total). Sheesh that's scary - on test day that would have been another -4 for that section. One more thing to keep in mind, watch the bubbling...

Second consecutive 178. Previously was in a string of 175's. Have had a few worse sections which I did separate, but pretty glad about repeating 178. The key to the jump from 175 to 178 is circling anything I'm not 100% on and going back - in each LR on this test I found 1 that I didn't really suspect were issues but turned out to be wrong - also did that for 1 in RC. Those are the extra +1's that are bumping me up over the 175 barrier to 178. Funny though, my remaining errors have a few dumb ones in there.

Overall pretty happy. Now want more -0 sections, especially my first RC -0. Since the LG error was a dumb one and one of the LR's was, 180 really seems doable.

Also have started doing some sections at work in the AM, since I am there right about what will be test time - not the best idea because of interruptions, but still was nice to get in. I think AM actually might be easier, the mind less wandering - anyone else find that?

Yes. I don't know if there is much of a difference between the morning and the afternoon but there is definitely a difference between the morning and the evening.

forza

Postby forza » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:48 am

PT 50 (Sept. 2006)

Took this one between 2 AM - 5 AM on my shift at the dormitory desk on about 2.5 hours of sleep. I was also interrupted several times by people coming in the front door and asking questions. I'm taking this as a good sign that I can operate under harsh conditions.

RC: -5 23/28 (just finished at 35 minutes; I was pushed for time when I hit the last passage about riddled basins of attraction, so I had to do a bit of educated guessing and ended up missing three from that particular passage)

LR1: -1 24/25 (stupid, unbelievable oversight error on the one question I missed)

LG: -3 19/22 (pressed for time on the game corresponding to questions 12-17, so my setup/understanding of that one sucked; I missed all 3 from that game)

LR2: -2 23/25

Raw: 89
Scaled: 169

One point away from 170, yet again. Fuck this test, man!

hypermeganet

Postby hypermeganet » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:20 pm

PT 51:

LR: -8
LG: -0
RC: -10

I ran out of time on the last passage and guessed through most of it. 165/82. Ugh. I had been averaging -4/-6 on RC so this sucked. Still, my LR is improving.

Postby 02082010 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:44 pm

PT 55 today the LSAT that I actually took that netted me my 168. Last Oct I was -3LR, -7RC, -1LG

Today I was -1 on the first LR and then I moved onto RC and attacked the Talk Story passage first (I always go for the passage with the most questions first) and 10minutes into the section I had only answered 3 of questions for that passage and I quit. I was -3 going into RC for the test last yr and on my last 3 PTs this time I've been -0 on RC and this passage has still got me befuddled. :evil:

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:14 pm

lsb wrote:

thoughts?

I am doing this Wednesday, but I want to bring my own PT (a newer test) and not one that I they have provided and that I have potentially done before.

Do you think they would have a problem with me bringing my own test and just telling them that I'm trying to simulate conditions?

They won't let you bring you own exam I just called and asked ... my center is (and it sounded like all of them are) administering PT 36 which really chaps my ass. Not only have I taken it but I wouldn't want to take anything earlier than 46-47 at this point anyway - UGH! :x

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:05 pm

I was going a little crazy the other day and made a thread about how my scores are falling and I dont know what to do. Thanks to some sage advice from a few TLSers I took some time off and took my first PT today since last Friday.

PT 52

LR1: -3
LR2: -4
RC: -5

Scaled score: 168. This isnt particularly good for me.

I feel pretty good about this test. Ironic, because it is not where I want to be, but I must say I feel refreshed in regards to this test and am excited to attack this thing again. I did the SOS slow review and caught all but three of my mistakes, one of which was a misread both times through (a 178). I feel like I am seeing/reading the way I should be again.

First comparative passage I have done in a while, felt a little strange but pretty relatively easy, though I found the question asking 'which of the followingi s a way in which the passages are NOT parallel" to be tricky.

Has anyone else noticed that the answers to main point questions are almost never A?

I missed two main point questions, i think i need to outline for structure a little better going forward

Other than that, i thought the RC was pretty reasonable

I am still misreading dense scientific passages/long LR stems. e.g. Sec 3, #23 I read the stem that says 'certain bacteria that produce hydrogen sulfide as a waste would die if directly exposed to oxygen' to mean that 'if/when these bacteria with this waste product are exposed, they will die. ' The correct understanding was if exposed to oxygen, these bacteria would die only if they did not produce HS. Even in my slow review it took me a long time to realize that this statement did not say what i interpreted it to mean. Any suggestions for this, other than "read more carefully, numbnuts?"

lsb

Postby lsb » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:25 pm

missvik218 wrote:
lsb wrote:

thoughts?

They won't let you bring you own exam I just called and asked ... my center is (and it sounded like all of them are) administering PT 36 which really chaps my ass. Not only have I taken it but I wouldn't want to take anything earlier than 46-47 at this point anyway - UGH! :x

I don't care what they say. I'm going to bring my own anyway, and if they say no then whatever.

Of course Kaplan is going to tell you you can't exploit their company, but if there's some kid proctor who's getting paid minimum wage, I don't think he'll give a shit.

I do not want to take PT 36 - It's old and worthless. In fact, if they tell me I can't use my own test, then I'm just going to go to the library and take a modern one.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:47 pm

lsb wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
lsb wrote:

thoughts?

I don't care what they say. I'm going to bring my own anyway, and if they say no then whatever.

Of course Kaplan is going to tell you you can't exploit their company, but if there's some kid proctor who's getting paid minimum wage, I don't think he'll give a shit.

I do not want to take PT 36 - It's old and worthless. In fact, if they tell me I can't use my own test, then I'm just going to go to the library and take a modern one.

+1

They won't even know what test you are working on until they ask for your scantron sheet to scan and tell you your score but you can just leave at that point.
Also when I went their sales pitch was pretty minimal..a flyer and talking for 5 mins. It's geared towards people who have never even seen an lsat before.

lsb

Postby lsb » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:54 pm

I think I will have to tell them when I get there that I want to take my own test, because they're going to be able to see that I have two PTs on my desk.

Did you bring your own PT when you went?

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:40 pm

lsb wrote:I think I will have to tell them when I get there that I want to take my own test, because they're going to be able to see that I have two PTs on my desk.

I brought my own PT incase they had a PT I had already taken but I had not taken 36 at the time *it was a month ago.*
This PROBABLY WON'T apply to you but at my Kaplan center, they just left us in a room and came back to say "you have 5 minutes" and "this is the end of section 3" ...

lsb

Postby lsb » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:43 pm

JJDancer wrote:
lsb wrote:I think I will have to tell them when I get there that I want to take my own test, because they're going to be able to see that I have two PTs on my desk.

I brought my own PT incase they had a PT I had already taken but I had not taken 36 at the time *it was a month ago.*
This PROBABLY WON'T apply to you but at my Kaplan center, they just left us in a room and came back to say "you have 5 minutes" and "this is the end of section 3" ...

I'm assuming you're a women and were able to put the PT in your purse or something? It seems like the instructor would be like "why the hell do you have a PT with you?"

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:30 pm

PT 52 -- COME ON :x ... we're getting so close I don't want to be just barely breaking 170 it's so frustrating!

Exp LG -2
LR -1
LG -5 (Did anyone else think that the second and fourth game on the test were difficult?!)
LR -3
RC -3

Raw +89
Scaled 170

Other than my actual LG section, which for some reason really threw me tonight, my timing today was spectacular! Time to check each of my LR sections and nearly 5 mins on my RC section.

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:33 pm

missvik218 wrote:PT 52 -- COME ON :x ... we're getting so close I don't want to be just barely breaking 170 it's so frustrating!

Exp LG -2
LR -1
LG -5 (Did anyone else think that the second and fourth game on the test were difficult?!)
LR -3
RC -3

Raw +89
Scaled 170

Other than my actual LG section, which for some reason really threw me tonight, my timing today was spectacular! Time to check each of my LR sections and nearly 5 mins on my RC section.

I thought that the second and third games were hard, the fourth one was just a sequencing game which I found to be quite easy.

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:04 pm

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:39 am

looks like 170 will be a major fluke on test day.

PT 55

LR1: -5
RC: -4
LR2: -5

raw 86, scaled 166.

My best LR has been a -3, maybe, just maybe I can pull that off on test day :|

edited: I misread an answer that was correct!
Last edited by Veritas on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kulax22

Postby Kulax22 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:30 am

Good news here to report here on planet Kulax...

Just did PT 52. LR -0, LG -0, LR -2, RC -2 (experimental RC -1 from PT 22)
96~178...

I did this just now tonight. I am ass-tired , had to chug some Monster Energy and truthfully I overshot the first two sections by 20-30 seconds. Considering my eyes were dry and I had to splash water on me, I am overlooking the timing more or less.

I am psyched to be doing well. Hopefully things will continue to "click."

I noticed the LG was tougher than expected...then again I am always freaked it will be hard. I was surprised I got -0. I need to curb my LG panic as well.

Time for bed :mrgreen:

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:10 am

PT 53
Raw: 87

explanation: Bros. -7 on RC because I had to listen to them talk about plowing girls this weekend while I was trying to understand jurisprudence. FML. All my other sections were fine aside from a -4 on LR1.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:31 am

lawduder wrote:
missvik218 wrote:PT 52 -- COME ON :x ... we're getting so close I don't want to be just barely breaking 170 it's so frustrating!

I thought that the second and third games were hard, the fourth one was just a sequencing game which I found to be quite easy.

Actually, you're right ... it was the second game which really threw me, I skipped to last two questions to come back to later (I NEVER do this with games). The third was also harder than usual on newer tests and I think just slowed me down, I got the last two wrong on the last game but it was time issue rather than the difficulty of the game.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:12 pm

Just took the June 2007 test that they have posted online.

LG -0
LR1 -3
LR2 -4
RC -5

Raw Score: 88
Scaled Score: 166

The breakdown was very typical of my scores. In fact, I think it matches up almost exactly with past tests. On the newer tests, I nearly always get -0 on LG, always get -4 or -5 on RC, and get about -7 total wrong on LR. So that gave me an 88, which is right around where I always am. But that score is almost always good for a 169, with a rare 168 scale here and there. This one had an 88 scaled all the way down to a 166. I hope the scale isn't like that on the real test next week. I don't see how I could possibly get less than about 11 or 12 wrong. Now I don't know how to feel, because I know that my raw was almost exactly the same, but my actual score dropped to the very bottom of what I would consider an acceptable range for me. Do I have reasons for concern here? I was testing consistently around 168 and 169 so a drop scares me a bit, even if its just a little.

teaadntoast

Postby teaadntoast » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:15 pm

missvik218 wrote:
lawduder wrote:

Actually, you're right ... it was the second game which really threw me, I skipped to last two questions to come back to later (I NEVER do this with games). The third was also harder than usual on newer tests and I think just slowed me down, I got the last two wrong on the last game but it was time issue rather than the difficulty of the game.

Which games were these?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”