The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

BigJiggaJ87

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby BigJiggaJ87 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:42 pm

"Maybe I just won't be able to score as high as I want." --> With time running out, I have thought this once or twice myself but for one of the few times in my life, I'm refusing to accept anything less than what I want and KNOW I can achieve. Yes, it would be a whole lot easier if I had an extra month and no school etc etc but it is what it is and as long as we make some sacrifices these next few weeks and focus on our weaknesses...I'm sure I can pull off at least a 174 (hopefully 176/178). (Everyone's numbers are different but our goals seemed similar so I just stuck mine in there).[/quote]

Great attitude. No room for negative thoughts during the home stretch. A friend of mine had his highest score on the actual test so I don't see why we can't do the same! For the record, I think he went up at least 3 points from his previous highest mark (172 to 175).

lsb

Postby lsb » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:32 pm

solotee wrote:Did anyone else find the RC on PT 53 difficult?

Big time. I tied my worst RC ever. I did, however, find the rest of the test fairly easy.

What did you think of test?
Last edited by lsb on Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawToMe

Postby LawToMe » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:38 pm

BigJiggaJ87 wrote:"Maybe I just won't be able to score as high as I want." --> With time running out, I have thought this once or twice myself but for one of the few times in my life, I'm refusing to accept anything less than what I want and KNOW I can achieve. Yes, it would be a whole lot easier if I had an extra month and no school etc etc but it is what it is and as long as we make some sacrifices these next few weeks and focus on our weaknesses...I'm sure I can pull off at least a 174 (hopefully 176/178). (Everyone's numbers are different but our goals seemed similar so I just stuck mine in there).

Great attitude. No room for negative thoughts during the home stretch. A friend of mine had his highest score on the actual test so I don't see why we can't do the same! For the record, I think he went up at least 3 points from his previous highest mark (172 to 175).

Attitude seemed to be a big part of the equation for me. My first cold diagnostic about 6 months ago was a cruel 149. This week my diagnostics hit 169, 167 and my first trip into the "170's club" with a 171. I would plateau for weeks/months at a time and then in one week my scores would consistently jump 5+ points almost inexplicably. I just kept committing the hours, learning more about how the test works and becoming more efficient with my reading. To date I've done every question on every LSAT from 1991 to last June, many 2x now. I think plateaus are just evidence of regression to the mean - anyone can bounce out of a plateau at any time on this test, though, as long as you make it your expectation....take it from someone who has bounced out of several plateaus. Get ready for a 175 on game day.

LawToMe

Postby LawToMe » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:43 pm

Genki wrote:How useful is the RC Bible for getting RC scores up?
Is it worth buying?

It's handy. If RC is your worst section, I'd buy it. It helped me identify trends in RC questions. That helped me anticipate the questions better, which improved my speed and accuracy in the section.

BigJiggaJ87

Postby BigJiggaJ87 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:05 pm

LawToMe wrote:
BigJiggaJ87 wrote:"Maybe I just won't be able to score as high as I want." --> With time running out, I have thought this once or twice myself but for one of the few times in my life, I'm refusing to accept anything less than what I want and KNOW I can achieve. Yes, it would be a whole lot easier if I had an extra month and no school etc etc but it is what it is and as long as we make some sacrifices these next few weeks and focus on our weaknesses...I'm sure I can pull off at least a 174 (hopefully 176/178). (Everyone's numbers are different but our goals seemed similar so I just stuck mine in there).

Attitude seemed to be a big part of the equation for me. My first cold diagnostic about 6 months ago was a cruel 149. This week my diagnostics hit 169, 167 and my first trip into the "170's club" with a 171. I would plateau for weeks/months at a time and then in one week my scores would consistently jump 5+ points almost inexplicably. I just kept committing the hours, learning more about how the test works and becoming more efficient with my reading. To date I've done every question on every LSAT from 1991 to last June, many 2x now. I think plateaus are just evidence of regression to the mean - anyone can bounce out of a plateau at any time on this test, though, as long as you make it your expectation....take it from someone who has bounced out of several plateaus. Get ready for a 175 on game day.

Thanks for the kind words, seriously.

RMstratosphere

Postby RMstratosphere » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:27 pm

PT 50

RC -4 (WTF?)
LR -3
LG -2
LR -3

Raw 88
Scaled 168

...I literally don't remember the last time I missed a single RC question.

I was really pleased with this score because I haven't touched any material in two weeks because school had started. I decided to take a full test to benchmark my regression and ended up scoring +3 from my last (and highest) score.

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:53 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:PT 50

RC -4 (WTF?)
LR -3
LG -2
LR -3

Raw 88
Scaled 168

I was really pleased with this score because I haven't touched any material in two weeks because school had started. I decided to take a full test to benchmark my regression and ended up scoring +3 from my last (and highest) score.

Riddled basins of attraction?

RMstratosphere

Postby RMstratosphere » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:36 pm

lawduder wrote:

RC -4 (WTF?)
LR -3
LG -2
LR -3

Raw 88
Scaled 168

Riddled basins of attraction?

No (surprisingly) I aced the NS section. I missed three of the four on the creating a national identify passage.

barkingbug

Postby barkingbug » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:32 pm

pt 26

165, a new high for me
LG - 7 (easily the best I've done so far, although I realize that its crap)
LR - 8 (I am guessing that this was partially because I was pissed off/distracted after not finishing the LG section, again... in fact, on the first question i circled the correct answer, but bubbled in something else - that's new/bad)
LR - 3 (normal)
RC - 3 (normal)

I don't recall ever bombing an LR section quite so badly, which is an indication of how pathetic my LGs were. I strongly feel that I can make up considerable ground there... We'll see..
Last edited by barkingbug on Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Laina

Postby Laina » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:08 pm

My first trip to the 170s club today!! 171 on PT 56. I was the one who came here a couple days ago saying i had only done timed sections, not a full PT, and got owned by PT 55 with a 159. That was two days ago. Hope is out there, folks.

Kulax22

Postby Kulax22 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:14 pm

Did PT 50 today, just finished Did well :o , but I was surprised and shocked myself...

Raw 93~173, RC -4, LR -1, LG -1, LR -1. Did the RC from PT40 as my experimental, and got -5!

It's funny, I am currently shocked by both my RC difficulties and how amazingly I pulled off the LRs - both of which I felt very shaky on. Even the LG seems like a narrow escape from doom. :oops:

In short, I feel I got very lucky, but the disconcerting thing is the damn RC. Especially since my experimental RC was also bad today. What gives?

I am having real problems timing. In fact I had to guess the last RC question and didn't have time to go over LG at all. Any timing suggestions?

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:33 pm

JJDancer wrote:Superprep A > Me

:(

I missed 17 questions !! Got -7 total on LR which is average. And missed 3 on RC.
LG killed me. ran out of time for 4 questions and missed another 3!

This was my second 5 section test. I think those reaaally kill me. I don't feel UNUSUALLY tired or anything. Sometimes I need to look at something other than the test to clear my eyes, or need to take a deep breath and refocus but it didn't FEEL like torture, why is it torturing my score?!?

Anyone else deal with the transition from 4-5 section tests without losing 5-10 points on your score?! HELP

Someone had suggested 5 hour energy. I tried 1/3 of the bottle yesterday just to see how I felt. I felt warm and very "aware" of my heartbeat. It could all be in my head but I was hesitant to take the rest of the bottle today before a PT. I just put a splash of it in my OJ...Either way here is how I did:

PT 53
My third PT with an experimental section:

LR1: -4
LG: -3 (ran out of time for 3 questions, guessed on those and got 2 right!)
RC: -2
LR2: -4

RAW: 87
Scaled 168

Experimental - LR from DEC 04 (-4)

(I see improvement so I'm happy but I MUST get LR down to -2!!) I want to replicate my 173 from 8/11 ! And then beat it ;)

lsb

Postby lsb » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:09 pm

JJDancer wrote:

I missed 17 questions !! Got -7 total on LR which is average. And missed 3 on RC.

This was my second 5 section test. I think those reaaally kill me. I don't feel UNUSUALLY tired or anything. Sometimes I need to look at something other than the test to clear my eyes, or need to take a deep breath and refocus but it didn't FEEL like torture, why is it torturing my score?!?

Anyone else deal with the transition from 4-5 section tests without losing 5-10 points on your score?! HELP

Someone had suggested 5 hour energy. I tried 1/3 of the bottle yesterday just to see how I felt. I felt warm and very "aware" of my heartbeat. It could all be in my head but I was hesitant to take the rest of the bottle today before a PT. I just put a splash of it in my OJ...Either way here is how I did:

PT 53

Scaled 168

(I see improvement so I'm happy but I MUST get LR down to -2!!) I want to replicate my 173 from 8/11 ! And then beat it ;)

I did very well on pt 53 also. It's demoralizing, though, because every time I do well on a PT, I come on TLS only to figure out that everyone else found it easy too.

Is a 168 really high for you out of curiosity?

LawToMe

Postby LawToMe » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:08 am

Kulax22 wrote:

Did PT 50 today, just finished Did well :o , but I was surprised and shocked myself...

Raw 93~173, RC -4, LR -1, LG -1, LR -1. Did the RC from PT40 as my experimental, and got -5!

It's funny, I am currently shocked by both my RC difficulties and how amazingly I pulled off the LRs - both of which I felt very shaky on. Even the LG seems like a narrow escape from doom. :oops:

In short, I feel I got very lucky, but the disconcerting thing is the damn RC. Especially since my experimental RC was also bad today. What gives?

I am having real problems timing. In fact I had to guess the last RC question and didn't have time to go over LG at all. Any timing suggestions?

Don't gauge your RC timing on PT 50. There were 28 Q's on that section...unusually high for RC. The test compensated with only 22 in LG and 25's for both LR's (where often you see 26 Q's).

RMstratosphere

Postby RMstratosphere » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:14 am

LawToMe wrote:
Kulax22 wrote:

Don't gauge your RC timing on PT 50. There were 28 Q's on that section...unusually high for RC. The test compensated with only 22 in LG and 25's for both LR's (where often you see 26 Q's).

TITCR

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:55 am

lsb wrote:
JJDancer wrote:

PT 53

Scaled 168

I did very well on pt 53 also. It's demoralizing, though, because every time I do well on a PT, I come on TLS only to figure out that everyone else found it easy too.

Is a 168 really high for you out of curiosity?

I don't usually find tests easy or hard. But when I only took 4 section tests I would score 170-172. After taking 5 section tests I dropped. By the end of this week I think I can go back to hitting 171/172s even with the experimental so 168 isn't too high for me but its higher than my previous 5 section tests (though I've only taken 2.)

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:49 am

I really don't find myself fatigued after taking five section tests anymore that I would be with four section tests. In fact, I think I do better with more sections, especially when I feel "in the zone" I just want to keep going!

SabermetricFan

Postby SabermetricFan » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:51 am

lawduder wrote:I really don't find myself fatigued after taking five section tests anymore that I would be with four section tests. In fact, I think I do better with more sections, especially when I feel "in the zone" I just want to keep going!

+1

teaadntoast

Postby teaadntoast » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:54 am

Total meltdown on PT56 yesterday. Am trying not to take it to heart, since I had a hellacious week leading up to it and was exhausted.

Edited for :oops:
Last edited by teaadntoast on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raskolnikoff

Postby Raskolnikoff » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:59 am

teaadntoast wrote:PT46 56

So which one is it? :mrgreen:

teaadntoast

Postby teaadntoast » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:03 am

Raskolnikoff wrote:
teaadntoast wrote:PT46 56

So which one is it? :mrgreen:

Whoops. 56.

LawToMe

Postby LawToMe » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:44 am

teaadntoast wrote:Total meltdown on PT56 yesterday. Am trying not to take it to heart, since I had a hellacious week leading up to it and was exhausted.

Meltdowns suck balls. Yesterday I had a migraine start during the first section of my PT and I decided to work through it in an effort to entertain the possibility of that happening on game day. It was a disaster. I spent two full sections trying to read by way of my peripheral vision because the migraine affected my direct vision...when that went away I was distracted by my heart beating in my temples. I puked afterward and then puked again when I graded it...154. curses! :x

Kulax22

Postby Kulax22 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:51 am

teaadntoast wrote:Total meltdown on PT56 yesterday. Am trying not to take it to heart, since I had a hellacious week leading up to it and was exhausted.

I try to tell myself... better to have the meltdown and gain experience than never have it at all (not totally sure if that's true actually, because the confidence factor can be irreparably damaged! :mrgreen: )

I find, so far, I have 3 types of PTs. Those I think I do well on and do, those I am not sure of, and tend to do well on, and those I know that I bomb while I'm taking them and do actually bomb. :twisted:

insidethetwenty

Postby insidethetwenty » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:02 pm

Meltdowns SUCK. I definitely had one in June on LG. -9 on that single section, and that was on a real test. Seriously hoping to avoid that crap this time around...

DEANBIGBROTHERALMI-T

Postby DEANBIGBROTHERALMI-T » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:06 pm

just joined the club -- 164.

PT #46
splits:
RC -2
LR1 -5
LR2 - 1
LG -8

next goal, get over a 165.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”