The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

teaadntoast

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby teaadntoast » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:22 pm

Three day weekend = One extra day for PTs!

(That I used an ! there sickens me.)

forza

Postby forza » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:47 pm

teaadntoast wrote:Three day weekend = One extra day for PTs!

(That I used an ! there sickens me.)

Take the exclamation point as a good sign; to be enthusiastic about the LSAT is far superior to being reluctant to study because you think it's drudgery.

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:36 pm

Took another PT today

PT 51
LR1 -8
RC -2 (28 question one)
Lr2 -1
Games -2

Raw 87
Scaled 169.

I'm annoyed but happy at the same time. First of all, I blame the -8 on not being completely focused, not really wanting to do a PT (was thinking the whole time through this section about quitting after I was done) and random distractions (fucking fraternity guys at libraries... ugh). It was hard, but not -8 hard. On top of the dreadful -8, two of them i had correct and switched the answers. That could have been my 170 right there. Now the good side: I felt like this test was the hardest one i've taken thus far. There is a HUGE difference in the LR sections compared to the 30-45 PT's which i've mainly been practicing out of. I can't really put my thumb on it, but the questions seem more convoluted/confusing. Games were easy. I reckognized one of them but I still finished with only a minute to spare so I don't think I "cheated" persay. Overall this test not only reinforced my last good score, but it helped show me that even if I feel like the test is difficult/one section is going to be bad, I can still do very well. My next test will be on Saturday woop.

sayan

Postby sayan » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:06 am

Just took SuperPrep A and did well:

LR1: 0
RC: -1
LG: 0
LR2: -1

Having done some more recent LR, I feel that older LR is easier. I guess that means newer LR is harder. RC questions (but not passages) were easier in SuperPrep as well. The answers were more clear cut and easier to get if you had a strong retention of the material unlike recent RC where some questions are almost a crap shoot.

sg07

Postby sg07 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:41 am

i got 162 twice! did the tests at home, so not quite the real test environment, but regardless, its an improvement. How do you guys/girls take the LR? are you mapping out each relationship? i consistently miss 10-12 on the 2 LR sections. 3-5 of them are usually dumb mistakes from rushing. While the others are just from choosing the wrong 1 of the 2 answer choices i am left with. im buying the LR bible tomorrow... i hope it helps a bit.

lsb

Postby lsb » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:27 am

sayan wrote:Just took SuperPrep A and did well:

LR1: 0
RC: -1
LG: 0
LR2: -1

Having done some more recent LR, I feel that older LR is easier. I guess that means newer LR is harder. RC questions (but not passages) were easier in SuperPrep as well. The answers were more clear cut and easier to get if you had a strong retention of the material unlike recent RC where some questions are almost a crap shoot.

I agree. Some people claim that it has gotten easier, but it seems like there are more "trick" answers.

Genki

Postby Genki » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:47 am

I broke 176 today for the first time....
it was on a really old test though (#11) :(

oh well, a 176 is a 176.

Laina

Postby Laina » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:55 am

I just had the worst testing experience. I've been taking three timed sections a day for the past two weeks, never missing more than 4 in a section. I just took a full timed PT, and completely bombed it. Talking -8 in LG. I just redid the section and ended up with -0, but this was disheartening to say the least. I ended up with -7 in an LR section, by far my worst in weeks. I don't know how to go about studying now; should I keep going with full PTs, or go back to the bibles? Doing well in individual timed sections really gave me confidence, but obviously it was unwarranted. Anyone have experience with transferring that success on individual sections to a real testing environment?

Fancy Pants

Postby Fancy Pants » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:43 am

Genki wrote:I broke 176 today for the first time....

oh well, a 176 is a 176.

What were your individual section scores?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:00 am

Laina wrote:I just had the worst testing experience. I've been taking three timed sections a day for the past two weeks, never missing more than 4 in a section. I just took a full timed PT, and completely bombed it. Talking -8 in LG. I just redid the section and ended up with -0, but this was disheartening to say the least. I ended up with -7 in an LR section, by far my worst in weeks. I don't know how to go about studying now; should I keep going with full PTs, or go back to the bibles? Doing well in individual timed sections really gave me confidence, but obviously it was unwarranted. Anyone have experience with transferring that success on individual sections to a real testing environment?

Yes. Individual timed sections are far, far easier; mostly because of the fatigue factor.

Postby 02082010 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:49 pm

Haven't done substantive LSAT work (2hrs+) in 72 hours. :?

Kulax22

Postby Kulax22 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:45 pm

Yikes my score just dipped. To recap, I got a mid170s, a high160s, a mid170s and now... 167. In fact, it was 166 because I didn't bubble in the right answer choice :oops: :evil:

PT49 (LG -6 LR -4 RC -1 (actually -0) LR -3), raw 86/87. My biggest annoyance was the LGs coming first. I think they were slightly tougher than previous ones and I didn't like the sudden immersion in them :evil: Nevertheless, 4 of those mistakes were easily avoided. I just get panicky and my mind switch flips to "off".

I don't know what's up. This disturbs me greatly, because I think the change is not so much in the PTs but in me :?: I guess I legitimately have "off" days??? I don't know but I don't like it. I want to control my performance more.

Also, I am having severe timing issues. Some tests I have minutes to spare and re-check. There seems to be a correlation here. I seem to do better when I'm not rushing (yes, genius insight here). But I still don't know why sometimes I have to rush and others I don't... I'm angry at myself I guess.

EDIT: I'm not trying to be all snooty to people who are currently happy with a 167... I've been working hard to build up my scores from the 160s. I'm just upset with my own variance. I would be interested in hearing if others have the same issue.

Genki

Postby Genki » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:53 pm

Fancy Pants wrote:
Genki wrote:I broke 176 today for the first time....

oh well, a 176 is a 176.

What were your individual section scores?

LR: -1, -2
RC: -0
Games: -2 (misinterpreted a rule which led to 2 mistakes)

I'm taking a more recent test today. Hopefully I can perform as well on the more recent tests.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:51 pm

Ugh just took PT 40:

LR1: -0 (ecstatic about this, my first perfect LR section)
LG: -2 (I was constantly at -0 in Feb, not sure whats happening to me)
LR2: -5 (whats with the huge discrepancy???)
RC: -3 (I did the last passage in 4 mins, and only got -1, all things considered, not bad)

- I didnt slow review this one yet, i just graded it against the answers, so i dont think ill be too affected by the fact that i know my score when i go over it, but who knows

- i had a great distraction in the middle of my LG section: I was taking the test in a public library and the power went out. Not sure why, stayed like that for 2-3 mins or so then came back on. I busted out my cell phone and tried to keep going. I ended up taking an extra 30 seconds to a minute on the section, but it was VERY distracting and hard to focus. I dont know its fair to expect these kinds of things, but just another thing to keep in mind/reason to make sure you can finish your sections in 33 mins

- Either way, im pretty upset with my score on LG. To be honest, i havent really worked on it, i just assumed it would be there, and this is the 3rd or 4th time ive given up really dumb points, i need to focus and crush this section like i know i should. Any tips? or just keep doing sections? Not sure what has happened over the last 6 months to make me worse at my forte

- Stoked about the -0 in LR1. I woke up today knowing i was gonna do a PT at exactly 930. I ran for a bit, showered, got in a decent breakfast (blueberry eggos and coffee) and hit it. I think the preparation really helped me be where i wanted to be in that first section.

- Not so stoked about -5 in LR2. Obviously the worst section of this test for me, and i def was sort of begging for a break by the end of this section. I could feel myself waning as it went on. Overall a -5 isnt deadly, but knowing that I am capable of a -0 and then shitting the bed like this is just disappointing.

- At one point I had 6 Es in a row, and i knew something wasnt right and I forced myself to change one answer. I was right that one of them wasnt an E, I was wrong on which one, so I got -2 where I would have got a -1. What does the book say here? Play for the perfect section while they are fresh in your head? or move on and just assume one of them is probably wrong, but its a waste of time to go back and figure out which one while there are still points on the board to get?

- I am def struggling with timing, but got bailed out with a passage that was on a topic that I have written multiple topics about in college. I got through the first passage (i opted to do it last as it only had 5 questions) in 4:15 I used voyagers RC method (except for the first passage), and I am feeling pretty good about it, I just need to speed up, but I am working on not spazzing and just having faith that with practice, it will be fine. I will def take a -3 on RC, but voyagers method feels promising.

My last few tests have been all over the place 176, 168, 170, 173, 166, 170. Not sure what to make of it other than if i score 172+ on a PT, dont let the next one be the real thing

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:55 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:Haven't done substantive LSAT work (2hrs+) in 72 hours. :?

Lucky you! Jealous....

Genki

Postby Genki » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:54 am

Well, I did another recent test and my score dropped down to 169.
I really bombed the RC. A little depressing since I got a -0 on RC on the early test I did yesterday.

Test #43
RC: -8
LR: -2
LR: -1
Games: -2
Total: -13 = 169

I really need to work on my RC. My scores are all over the place. Even on the recent tests, the number I get wrong varies from -1 to -9 from test to test. At least my Games are getting consistently better. and I've been able to keep my LR constant at -0 to -2.

EmVan

Postby EmVan » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:07 am

I found RC on PT43 and 44 to be harder than the older tests. I was getting around -1/-2 and then jumped to -11 and -12 on PT 43 and 44. It went back down to -5 on PT45, so hopefully I can work it down to 0/-1 again.

Keep at it and good luck!

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:30 am

PT50

RC -4 (3 on riddle basins of attraction, forgot to answer 1 and missed 2!!!)
LR -4 (changed one answer because I had a couple minutes to review... zzz)
LG -0 (the alphabet soup freaked me out, it took me like 10 minutes)
LR -3

raw: 89
scaled: 169 (NOOO!!)

Anyways, I did the entire assumption section in the Kaplan Mastery book after being irritated and at my previous 166 and I think it helped (about 130 questions). I noticed I felt a lot more confident on the LR here, finishing with several minutes left each time. However, if I hadn't finished with that extra time, I wouldn't have changed my answer and would have finally hit 170. Oh well, at least I'm going forward!

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:55 pm

PT 52

Lr1: -1
Games: -9
Lr2: -0
RC: -4

Raw 86, Scaled 167

Misread a clue on first game, struggled with the second game, and thus couldn't finish the last one. No excuses for that. Other than that I am happy.

Edit: This was the first time I've done comparative reading RC since June. 2 of my mistakes came solely from it.

solotee

Postby solotee » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:33 pm

Did anyone else find the RC on PT 53 difficult?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:41 pm

lawduder wrote:PT50

RC -4 (3 on riddle basins of attraction, forgot to answer 1 and missed 2!!!)
LR -4 (changed one answer because I had a couple minutes to review... zzz)
LG -0 (the alphabet soup freaked me out, it took me like 10 minutes)
LR -3

raw: 89
scaled: 169 (NOOO!!)

Anyways, I did the entire assumption section in the Kaplan Mastery book after being irritated and at my previous 166 and I think it helped (about 130 questions). I noticed I felt a lot more confident on the LR here, finishing with several minutes left each time. However, if I hadn't finished with that extra time, I wouldn't have changed my answer and would have finally hit 170. Oh well, at least I'm going forward!

Lol, I hear ya. I also hit 169 yesterday, which is a new high for me, so at least I'm going in the right direction. But I was sooooo close to finally breaking into the 170's. And to look back and see the silly mistakes I had made in LR just killed me. Could have easily gotten something like 172 or 173 if I had read just a bit closer and trusted my gut a bit more. I had the exact same spread as you with regard to questions wrong in the different section.

Genki

Postby Genki » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:46 pm

How useful is the RC Bible for getting RC scores up?
Is it worth buying?

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:33 pm

170 today. Again. PT 34 this time.

I'm pretty annoyed with the fact that I haven't improved at all in the last month. However, I still have 3 weeks to go, and I just took the last 2 weeks off for personal obligations...so hopefully there's still room for improvement. Some days, though (like today), I wonder, "Maybe I just won't be able to score as high as I want."

I really hope that 3 weeks is enough time to start consistently scoring 173 or 174+ instead of 170-172 like I have been. I plan on studying very consistently and working through the LGB (which I just bought).

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:13 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:170 today. Again. PT 34 this time.

I'm pretty annoyed with the fact that I haven't improved at all in the last month. However, I still have 3 weeks to go, and I just took the last 2 weeks off for personal obligations...so hopefully there's still room for improvement. Some days, though (like today), I wonder, "Maybe I just won't be able to score as high as I want."

I really hope that 3 weeks is enough time to start consistently scoring 173 or 174+ instead of 170-172 like I have been. I plan on studying very consistently and working through the LGB (which I just bought).

"Maybe I just won't be able to score as high as I want." --> With time running out, I have thought this once or twice myself but for one of the few times in my life, I'm refusing to accept anything less than what I want and KNOW I can achieve. Yes, it would be a whole lot easier if I had an extra month and no school etc etc but it is what it is and as long as we make some sacrifices these next few weeks and focus on our weaknesses...I'm sure I can pull off at least a 174 (hopefully 176/178). (Everyone's numbers are different but our goals seemed similar so I just stuck mine in there).

insidethetwenty

Postby insidethetwenty » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:37 pm

PT 45

LR: -4
RC: -5 (-3 on Hippocratic Oath Passage. WTF, me?)
LG: -2
LR: -2

Raw 86/Scaled 169

I feel pretty good about this, but I really shouldn't have missed 3/6 on that one passage. Oh well, maybe I'll get to 170 next time. I've gotten one before (171), so I know I'll get there again.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”