The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

User avatar
missvik218
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby missvik218 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:29 pm

barkingbug wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
barkingbug wrote:I've been told I need to be more optimistic. I will stop telling myself a 170 is impossible, even though I have gotten exactly 162 on 5 of the last 6 PTs. Despite that consitency, my idividual sections are all over the place, except for logic games, where I always crap the bed, getting somewhere in the 55% range. Plowing through LGB; hope to post something better here on Saturday.

How many practice tests have you been taking a week?


I had been taking about one a week and then studying with what time I had left. Unfortunately, I work full time and am in my last year of B school, so time is limited. However, I will be taking at least 2 or 3 per for the next few weeks, and one a day for the week leading up to the exam... I am just waiting for LGs to "click." I feel like I have a pretty good understanding, but I am still too slow and have not put it all together yet on the games... in fact I suck at them under timed conditions. a lot.

You sound like you're stuck in a tough spot. My advice to you to help you get through your trouble with games, and the inconsistency in other sections, would be to STOP taking full length practice tests and start doing sectional work. This may be too scary because we're getting so close to test date, but taking PT after PT without really correcting the errors in between is about as productive as banging your head against a wall. I would say, take this next week and do not do a PT, instead alternate days working on RC and LR with LGs every day ... they will click but it takes concentrated effort.

User avatar
hypermeganet
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:34 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby hypermeganet » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:35 pm

missvik218 wrote:
barkingbug wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
barkingbug wrote:I've been told I need to be more optimistic. I will stop telling myself a 170 is impossible, even though I have gotten exactly 162 on 5 of the last 6 PTs. Despite that consitency, my idividual sections are all over the place, except for logic games, where I always crap the bed, getting somewhere in the 55% range. Plowing through LGB; hope to post something better here on Saturday.

How many practice tests have you been taking a week?


I had been taking about one a week and then studying with what time I had left. Unfortunately, I work full time and am in my last year of B school, so time is limited. However, I will be taking at least 2 or 3 per for the next few weeks, and one a day for the week leading up to the exam... I am just waiting for LGs to "click." I feel like I have a pretty good understanding, but I am still too slow and have not put it all together yet on the games... in fact I suck at them under timed conditions. a lot.

You sound like you're stuck in a tough spot. My advice to you to help you get through your trouble with games, and the inconsistency in other sections, would be to STOP taking full length practice tests and start doing sectional work. This may be too scary because we're getting so close to test date, but taking PT after PT without really correcting the errors in between is about as productive as banging your head against a wall. I would say, take this next week and do not do a PT, instead alternate days working on RC and LR with LGs every day ... they will click but it takes concentrated effort.


--ImageRemoved--

barkingbug
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:17 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby barkingbug » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:45 pm

Thanks for the advice. In general, I agree with your point and have decided to back off of a more agressive PT plan and, for now, focus on getting through the LG Bible. I thought that I would let my success, or lack thereof, in improving my score determine the frequency of PTs. If I get better scores, I'll do more PTs. If not, I'll focus more on the basics/strategy/etc. Thanks again, and good luck.

Oh and nice pic... sums it up... There have been a couple of times where I have yelled pretty loud in an empty office over this.

User avatar
hypermeganet
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:34 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby hypermeganet » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:53 pm

barkingbug wrote:Thanks for the advice. In general, I agree with your point and have decided to back off of a more agressive PT plan and, for now, focus on getting through the LG Bible. I thought that I would let my success, or lack thereof, in improving my score determine the frequency of PTs. If I get better scores, I'll do more PTs. If not, I'll focus more on the basics/strategy/etc. Thanks again, and good luck.

Oh and nice pic... sums it up... There have been a couple of times where I have yelled pretty loud in an empty office over this.


Trust me, I'm at work now. I've wanted to scream, too.

User avatar
missvik218
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby missvik218 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:56 pm

hypermeganet wrote:
barkingbug wrote:Thanks for the advice. In general, I agree with your point and have decided to back off of a more agressive PT plan and, for now, focus on getting through the LG Bible. I thought that I would let my success, or lack thereof, in improving my score determine the frequency of PTs. If I get better scores, I'll do more PTs. If not, I'll focus more on the basics/strategy/etc. Thanks again, and good luck.

Oh and nice pic... sums it up... There have been a couple of times where I have yelled pretty loud in an empty office over this.


Trust me, I'm at work now. I've wanted to scream, too.

Same ... studying for the LSAT would be SO MUCH easier if I didn't have to waste so many hours a week working! :lol: Barkingbug, sounds like you've got a good handle on it then, GOOD LUCK!

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby keg411 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:41 pm

I'm finally comfortably in the 160's on full proctored exams :). (I've been on them on my own for a while when taking portions of PT's, but when you have the full exam, in a classroom with other people plus an experimental, it's a whole different experience). Didn't want to post in here until I crossed the barrier, but now that I did, it's "go big or go home" time!

Still need to work on my RC timing though... blech.

ETA: Add me to those with FT jobs. Kills study time :(. Thank god my paralegal class is over and isn't eating up 2 nights a week anymore.

lsb
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:46 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby lsb » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Is anyone else pissed off they bought the LSAT proctor DVD?

Is it absolutely ridiculous. Why wouldn't the creator of the DVD tell everyone to just act normal instead of advising one guy to cough up phlegm and spit, another to yell at the proctor when they need to take go to the bathroom, and another yell out in frustration when the 5 minute warning is called?

User avatar
sayan
Posts: 316
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:05 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby sayan » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:00 pm

lsb wrote:Is anyone else pissed off they bought the LSAT proctor DVD?

Is it absolutely ridiculous. Why wouldn't the creator of the DVD tell everyone to just act normal instead of advising one guy to cough up phlegm and spit, another to yell at the proctor when they need to take go to the bathroom, and another yell out in frustration when the 5 minute warning is called?


Because that's what happens in real life. :?

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby keg411 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:02 pm

sayan wrote:
lsb wrote:Is anyone else pissed off they bought the LSAT proctor DVD?

Is it absolutely ridiculous. Why wouldn't the creator of the DVD tell everyone to just act normal instead of advising one guy to cough up phlegm and spit, another to yell at the proctor when they need to take go to the bathroom, and another yell out in frustration when the 5 minute warning is called?


Because that's what happens in real life. :?


It's also why I hate people :D.

No one made a peep during my last test, which was nice. I've been sitting in the front of the room and that helps because it's more difficult to get distracted by people around you.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby Unitas » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:22 pm

My average right now is a 176 so I am genuinely happy. I have all the powerscore materials and I swear by them. However, just wanted some opinions on this; I recently decided to take the test in a computer lab at my school. There were of course people coming in and out and people were talking to me at random times, but I stuck to the timings and all of that for my test. I ended up with a 166 on Preptest 52. I am working my way up to 57 the Wednesday before test day. I can see exactly where people bothered me as my missed answers are all in clusters. So what I am wondering is where do you all take your preptests to most simulate test day? I tried today in a fast food restaurant to just do one section and I ended up with 0 wrong on it, but people still came up and talked to me and it wasn’t anything like what the actual test will be like. Meaning in the test the door won’t open every 30 seconds to let another customer in. Any suggestions? I was thinking about posting something at my University for other LSAT takers to get together in the room the actual test will be in and do a practice there. Maybe even have a teacher or student proctor it. Anyone go this far?


Just wanted to add I have been looking at this forum for two months and today is my first day posting here. Thank you all for the wonderful advice I have read over that time.

Kulax22
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:23 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby Kulax22 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:03 pm

Kakarot wrote:Meaning in the test the door won’t open every 30 seconds to let another customer in. Any suggestions? I was thinking about posting something at my University for other LSAT takers to get together in the room the actual test will be in and do a practice there. Maybe even have a teacher or student proctor it. Anyone go this far?


Sounds to me like you're overcomplicating things. Can't you go to a public library, a place of (relative) quiet but still background noise?

I am aware test centers can be worse than ideal, but I also don't get the impression they're hell holes. Just do some work in a library, time yourself, and get set.

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby JJDancer » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:07 pm

Kakarot wrote:My average right now is a 176 so I am genuinely happy. I have all the powerscore materials and I swear by them. However, just wanted some opinions on this; I recently decided to take the test in a computer lab at my school. There were of course people coming in and out and people were talking to me at random times, but I stuck to the timings and all of that for my test. I ended up with a 166 on Preptest 52. I am working my way up to 57 the Wednesday before test day. I can see exactly where people bothered me as my missed answers are all in clusters. So what I am wondering is where do you all take your preptests to most simulate test day? I tried today in a fast food restaurant to just do one section and I ended up with 0 wrong on it, but people still came up and talked to me and it wasn’t anything like what the actual test will be like. Meaning in the test the door won’t open every 30 seconds to let another customer in. Any suggestions? I was thinking about posting something at my University for other LSAT takers to get together in the room the actual test will be in and do a practice there. Maybe even have a teacher or student proctor it. Anyone go this far?


Just wanted to add I have been looking at this forum for two months and today is my first day posting here. Thank you all for the wonderful advice I have read over that time.


If you practice with a bunch of students, that would be good. Next best would be going to a library or a room in the library thats relatively quiet (no public libraries in the childrens section). I take tests in the graduate reading room. Its usually quieter than the rest of the library but people still cough, a cell phone may go off, and there was a guy today with really loud music coming from his headphones (I heard it 10 feet away).

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby JJDancer » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:10 pm

Superprep A > Me

:(

I missed 17 questions !! Got -7 total on LR which is average. And missed 3 on RC.
LG killed me. ran out of time for 4 questions and missed another 3!

This was my second 5 section test. I think those reaaally kill me. I don't feel UNUSUALLY tired or anything. Sometimes I need to look at something other than the test to clear my eyes, or need to take a deep breath and refocus but it didn't FEEL like torture, why is it torturing my score?!?

Anyone else deal with the transition from 4-5 section tests without losing 5-10 points on your score?! HELP

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby Unitas » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:15 pm

Our University library is just as loud as our computer room. The same problem happens where people know me so they come up and talk to me. Then I give them the look of death and try to be polite. I've only done old sections in the library not an entire test.

I think I will go try the public library. That does sound like a great idea and I never thought of it. Nearest one is close to a thirty minute drive, but would be worth it. Thanks.


JJDancer: are you taking the fifteen minute break between sections 3 and 4?? and just enough time to set the timer between the rest? I didn't notice a different in scores just that my ass started hurting after sitting there for so long. I also do the writing section.

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby JJDancer » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:38 pm

Kakarot wrote:Our University library is just as loud as our computer room. The same problem happens where people know me so they come up and talk to me. Then I give them the look of death and try to be polite. I've only done old sections in the library not an entire test.

I think I will go try the public library. That does sound like a great idea and I never thought of it. Nearest one is close to a thirty minute drive, but would be worth it. Thanks.


JJDancer: are you taking the fifteen minute break between sections 3 and 4?? and just enough time to set the timer between the rest? I didn't notice a different in scores just that my ass started hurting after sitting there for so long. I also do the writing section.


Today I had class so I only took a 5 minute break after section 3 but normally I take a 10 minute one.
In between sections I wait a minute until the clock changes.
Usually my third and last (5th) sections are the worst.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby Unitas » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:45 pm

I hate to say this, but on your next test try a five hour energy. Drink half before first section and half during your break. I also would suggest the 15 minute break. I usually eat a banana and drink a water and walk around for a few minutes.

See if it helps you. If not you lose nothing. If it helps then there you go. They are like 2 dollars at gas stations.

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby JJDancer » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:40 pm

Kakarot wrote:I hate to say this, but on your next test try a five hour energy. Drink half before first section and half during your break. I also would suggest the 15 minute break. I usually eat a banana and drink a water and walk around for a few minutes.

See if it helps you. If not you lose nothing. If it helps then there you go. They are like 2 dollars at gas stations.


I am generally wary of those energy drinks. But I normally eat a healthy snack during my break so I'm not hungry or anything.
I will review LG since I have been putting it on the side while studying LR...and I will take another 5 section test. If that one doesn't improve, I'll try the 5 hr energy. Thanks.

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:25 pm

I'm coming back to studying after what was essentially a 10-day break. I took 1 or 2 PT's in there, but I scored disappointingly (168, 171...after averaging 172 for weeks and weeks). I realized that it was a waste of test material to be taking PT's when I was unable to study or sleep often (due to other life commitments).

I think the break may have done me some good, though. I plan to begin reviewing again today and taking a PT on Saturday. Then 3 weeks of hardcore LSAT prep action...before allowing 3 days of peace before the test on the 26th.

Good luck, everyone...glad to see that this thread is so damn active. We're getting there. We can do it. Don't get demoralized -- and if you do, take a break for a few days. It won't kill you.

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10384
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby TTH » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:52 pm

Got my first >170 today. I'm very excited.

PT 18
AR: -2
LR1: -5
RC: -0 (First -0 section)
LR2: -2

Raw: 92
Scaled: 174


Now, I think this was a little fluky. For one, the curve was pretty generous on this PT. Plus, the test had a 28-question RC section, which played to my strong suit in a big way. Nonetheless, finally seeing a score in the 170s is doing wonders for my morale as I know now that I've got a 170 (target score) in me.

Cossack
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:18 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby Cossack » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:24 pm

I took my first two PT (#7, #8) untimed, got a 160 on both. For some reason LR is the toughest , especially parallel and assumption questions. LGames i make only about 3 mistakes and RC - about 5

ftblryan
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:59 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby ftblryan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:39 pm

Yep last two PT's have been 162. Hoping to take 6 more PT's and get it up to 170+. I just keep making stupid mistakes that will boost my score up a couple points. I hate assumption questions. HATE HATE HATE :evil:

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby keg411 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:29 pm

Are most of you taking PT's that are only 4 sections with no experimental? And correctly timed (only one break)? Because in all honesty, the timing really does have an effect on scoring. Whenever I just do timed sections, I always do better than when taking the entire 5 sections with the single break... just something to consider as test day gets closer.

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:00 pm

I was stuck in the 160s for many months. My only breakthrough I can mention was in Reading Comp. I was doing great on LR and LG, but RC always troubled me. I finally decided to actually do roadmaps for each and every paragraph and then take a minute before I started answering the questions (more like 30 sec) to figure out what did I just read, what were the viewpoints, what was the authors argument?

Just taking the little bit of time to do that helped me break 170 on the LSAT.

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby Veritas » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:14 pm

keg411 wrote:Are most of you taking PT's that are only 4 sections with no experimental? And correctly timed (only one break)? Because in all honesty, the timing really does have an effect on scoring. Whenever I just do timed sections, I always do better than when taking the entire 5 sections with the single break... just something to consider as test day gets closer.

All of my PTs are 5 sections with one 10 minute break. I will do individual timed sections just to work on strategy, though.

User avatar
forza
Posts: 2789
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:32 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby forza » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:17 pm

Great result on PT 48 (Oct. 2005) today:

LR1: -4 (22/26); 34 minutes.
LG: -0 (22/22) -- BALLER. Thought it did seem to be an easy set of games; 32 minutes.
RC: -2 (25/27) -- ridiculously stupid oversight errors; 35 minutes.
LR2: -2 (24/26) -- more dumb errors; 35 minutes.

Raw: 93
Scaled: 170


Tough curve! But I'm glad to be scoring in raws above 90! This bodes well for test day.

OH, and I took this one on the first floor of my university's library, a very noisy, freshman-filled venue with smooth jazz playing in the background. Bring it on, squeaky chair boy!




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, jagerbom79 and 8 guests