The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Fancy Pants

Bronze

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Post by Fancy Pants » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:48 pm

lsb wrote:
ruleser wrote:June 07 (administered as actual exam by Kaplan - free test event);
LG -1
LR (exp - from old test) -0
LR1 -0
LR2 -1
RC -2

-4 = 175 (harsh curve, -8 = 170)

Some of the sections/games seemed familiar, but right now whether I'm doing familiar stuff or new, newer or older, I'm seem to be hitting exactly 175 each time (5th now) -0 on exp LR is a +

Now I will switch a bit from my lg focus to RC - it is now usually my biggest - , the LG's can still sneak up sometimes I think...
I'm having trouble with RC too, but I have really no idea how to study RC.

What do you plan on doing to improve on RC?
In additional to drilling individual RC sections, you should be using your free time to read dense, non-LSAT material. Read the WSJ and NYT every day and make a point to read all of it - not just the sections you're interested in - then try and concentrate on things like main topics, point of view, etc. Just increase your free-time reading tenfold between now and the 26th.

lsb

Bronze

Post by lsb » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:58 pm

Fancy Pants wrote:
lsb wrote:
ruleser wrote:June 07 (administered as actual exam by Kaplan - free test event);
LG -1
LR (exp - from old test) -0
LR1 -0
LR2 -1
RC -2

-4 = 175 (harsh curve, -8 = 170)

Some of the sections/games seemed familiar, but right now whether I'm doing familiar stuff or new, newer or older, I'm seem to be hitting exactly 175 each time (5th now) -0 on exp LR is a +

Now I will switch a bit from my lg focus to RC - it is now usually my biggest - , the LG's can still sneak up sometimes I think...
I'm having trouble with RC too, but I have really no idea how to study RC.

What do you plan on doing to improve on RC?
In additional to drilling individual RC sections, you should be using your free time to read dense, non-LSAT material. Read the WSJ and NYT every day and make a point to read all of it - not just the sections you're interested in - then try and concentrate on things like main topics, point of view, etc. Just increase your free-time reading tenfold between now and the 26th.
Have you used this with any success. I think I'll try this, but it seems like it takes years to improve your ability to read.

Fancy Pants

Bronze

Post by Fancy Pants » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:02 pm

lsb wrote:Have you used this with any success. I think I'll try this, but it seems like it takes years to improve your ability to read.
I've upped my reading considerably over the past few weeks and have seem some improvement. The RC sections feel less overwhelming, and I've gone from typically missing about 7-10 to 2-5, which I think is pretty good.

For me at least it wasn't a matter of improving my ability to read as much as improving my ability to maintain constant concentration while I read. And in that respect, I don't think there's anything drastic that needs to be improved because I'm not being confronted with passages I don't understand - I'm being confronted with passages that I might miss a detail of.

lsb

Bronze

Post by lsb » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:12 pm

Fancy Pants wrote:
lsb wrote:Have you used this with any success. I think I'll try this, but it seems like it takes years to improve your ability to read.
I've upped my reading considerably over the past few weeks and have seem some improvement. The RC sections feel less overwhelming, and I've gone from typically missing about 7-10 to 2-5, which I think is pretty good.

For me at least it wasn't a matter of improving my ability to read as much as improving my ability to maintain constant concentration while I read. And in that respect, I don't think there's anything drastic that needs to be improved because I'm not being confronted with passages I don't understand - I'm being confronted with passages that I might miss a detail of.
I'm going to try it. I just hope the NYT isn't too "easy read."

Fancy Pants

Bronze

Post by Fancy Pants » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:14 pm

lsb wrote:I'm going to try it. I just hope the NYT isn't too "easy read."
Just make sure you read the articles you are really uninterested in and it all becomes annoyingly difficult to focus on. Hah.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:30 pm

Over the course of the past 3 months my LR sections have gone from -2 to -4 or 6...This is becoming very aggravating, and I need to find a way to nip it in the bud. I'm devoting the next four weeks to LG and LR, because I'm averaging -0 to -1 on RC, so I'm not too worried about it. It's gonna be hard to study for the LSAT with classes and everyhting, though. :(

rbhesser

New

Post by rbhesser » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:00 am

[/quote]

In additional to drilling individual RC sections, you should be using your free time to read dense, non-LSAT material. Read the WSJ and NYT every day and make a point to read all of it - not just the sections you're interested in - then try and concentrate on things like main topics, point of view, etc. [/quote]

I agree with this completely. I went out and bought The Economist and I try to read some it and the NYT everyday. I have only been doing this for 2 weeks and have already seen a significant improvement. Read everything for understanding. Its boring and tiresome but it really helps. It may make a difference though that I read it the same way I read my LSAT RC section. I don't underline or do anything extra, I just try to read it straight through.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:28 am

Can someone please drive here and punch me in the face?

Pt 49 - 170; -2LG -3LR -3RC -2LR

Just when I start to get LR toward my individual section average, I go and make two stupid mistakes on LG and a stupid mistake on RC. It's even more annoying to get LR questions wrong because I was reading that getting an LR question wrong is actually TWO logic fails. First, you disqualify the credited response, and second, you justify an incorrect answer choice. Ehh... I think my problem is that my review days aren't substantive enough and I don't make the best use of them whihc is why I'm stuck in the 170 rut (score on the last 3 PTs). Definitely going to try to make the best of today and tomorrow.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:32 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:Can someone please drive here and punch me in the face?

Just when I start to get LR toward my individual section average, I go and make two stupid mistakes on LG and a stupid mistake on RC. It's even more annoying to get LR questions wrong because I was reading that getting an LR question wrong is actually TWO logic fails. First, you disqualify the credited response, and second, you justify an incorrect answer choice. Ehh... I think my problem is that my review days aren't substantive enough and I don't make the best use of them whihc is why I'm stuck in the 170 rut (score on the last 3 PTs). Definitely going to try to make the best of today and tomorrow.
I've been wondering how helpful my review days have been as well ... I too seem to be stuck in the high 160s-170 range and can't seem to break through (I really want to be averaging in the mid-170s). What have you been doing to review, and what are you going to do differently to try to gain better insight?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

teaadntoast

Bronze

Post by teaadntoast » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:37 am

AAARGH.

PT 50
RC: -3
LR1: -5
LG: -1
LR2: -2

Raw 89, scaled 169

I made the mistake of taking this in a very noisy coffee shop.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:44 am

teaadntoast wrote:AAARGH.

PT 50
RC: -3
LR1: -5
LG: -1
LR2: -2

Raw 89, scaled 169

I made the mistake of taking this in a very noisy coffee shop.
At least you still scored 169! I tried the whole let me take my test and try to battle distractions thing last week at a Starbucks in a Barnes and Noble and ended up with a (+84) 165 :x

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:45 am

missvik218 wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:Can someone please drive here and punch me in the face?

I've been wondering how helpful my review days have been as well ... I too seem to be stuck in the high 160s-170 range and can't seem to break through (I really want to be averaging in the mid-170s). What have you been doing to review, and what are you going to do differently to try to gain better insight?
Typically, I have spent the first day going over the 10 or so question I get wrong in full detail and then going over the questions I starred bc they were difficult but got correct. Then I'll do a timed LR and RC section. The second review day has typically consisted of nothing.

From now on, I'm going to continute going over incorrect and difficult but correct questions. Go over ALL the RC questions and see what helped me get the question right (did I underline something so I was able to research that answer quickly, was the paragraph summary clear enough to help me find the answer, etc.) and why I couldn't find the correct answers for the questions I got wrong. Then I'll do 3 timed LR sections. On the second review day I'll do three timed RC sections and a timed LG section. Reviewing Bibles as necessary.

teaadntoast

Bronze

Post by teaadntoast » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:54 am

missvik218 wrote: At least you still scored 169! I tried the whole let me take my test and try to battle distractions thing last week at a Starbucks in a Barnes and Noble and ended up with a (+84) 165 :x
So the consensus is that Starbucks + PTs = :(

Is anyone else going to try to gain access to his or her testing center before The Day and either complete a PT or just wander around?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Fancy Pants

Bronze

Post by Fancy Pants » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:08 am

teaadntoast wrote:
missvik218 wrote: At least you still scored 169! I tried the whole let me take my test and try to battle distractions thing last week at a Starbucks in a Barnes and Noble and ended up with a (+84) 165 :x

Is anyone else going to try to gain access to his or her testing center before The Day and either complete a PT or just wander around?
My testing center is the main classroom building where I went to undergrad. Can't tell you how many tests I've taken there already.
Last edited by Fancy Pants on Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

hypermeganet

Bronze

Post by hypermeganet » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:09 am

teaadntoast wrote:

I'm going to try and do this, but I doubt I'll be able to.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:19 am

teaadntoast wrote:

Yes, Starbucks and LSAT aren't friends.

And I think that going to the test center will be helpful for those of you who haven't been there before. I'm retaking at the same place, and feel better knowing that I'll be familiar with the whole scene.

teaadntoast

Bronze

Post by teaadntoast » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:23 am

missvik218 wrote: And I think that going to the test center will be helpful for those of you who haven't been there before. I'm retaking at the same place, and feel better knowing that I'll be familiar with the whole scene.
I think I would beat myself about the face if I had to retake where I initially sat the exam.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

teaadntoast

Bronze

Post by teaadntoast » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:23 am

Fancy Pants wrote: My testing center is the main classroom building where I went to undergrad. Can't tell you how many tests I've taken there already.
I envy you. Hugely.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:30 am

teaadntoast wrote:
missvik218 wrote: And I think that going to the test center will be helpful for those of you who haven't been there before. I'm retaking at the same place, and feel better knowing that I'll be familiar with the whole scene.
I think I would beat myself about the face if I had to retake where I initially sat the exam.
Haha, really?! Mine wasn't that bad .. I'm sort of hoping I get a different classroom though, mine had stadium seating (which I don't love) and different room will hopefully = different (and much better) score. But knowing where I'm going and how rooms are assigned and what to expect will be calming.

lsb

Bronze

Post by lsb » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:27 pm

Fancy Pants wrote:
teaadntoast wrote:

My testing center is the main classroom building where I went to undergrad. Can't tell you how many tests I've taken there already.
How are the doors of the classroom open when there's not class going on?

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:58 pm

I did a drive-by last Fri, found the parking, checked out the building, asked how it would flow on the day - they wouldn't let me see a classroom because classes were in session.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:06 pm

How do you know where the testing room is if it's at a university or college?

brose002

Bronze

Post by brose002 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:09 pm

I just got my best score yet!!!! It was a 177. A 95 raw score. It was PT 34. Admittedly the curve was easy, but it is always nice to see such a good score. It went as follows:
RC:-1(This is my best score yet, although I will take it with a grain of salt since it was an older test.
LR1:-1
LR2:-3
LG:-1

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:20 pm

sayan wrote:How do you know where the testing room is if it's at a university or college?
This is what mine was (and will be) ... they will likely have a central registration area and then they will assign you to rooms. I don't think you'll be able to know in advance which room in particular you will be testing in.

tigress81

New

Post by tigress81 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:20 pm

I just have to say how awesome and helpful these forums have been, and I wanted to put my scores up here so far for inspiration to others:

August 01 - 149 EGADS
August 08 PT7 - 164
August 15 PT9 -162
August 23 PT10 - 162
August 24 PT11 - 161
August 25 PT12 - 163
August 27 PT13 - 170 (WOOO HOOO YAAAAA)
August 29 PT18 - 165
August 31 PT15 - 167

Note: on the 25th I took two days break to look at every.single.wrong. answer of every test I'd taken so far and analyze why my reasoning was wrong. I followed the advice of another poster on the forum and cut the questions out with scissors, sat down, and went through each question I missed until I understood my errors in reasoning. I'm hopefully getting PT45-57 within the next day or two, keep on studying and everyone stay focused!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”