The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

User avatar
buddyblack
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:28 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby buddyblack » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:48 pm

tigress81 wrote:I was reading some other advice on the forum on Monday night and decided to implement it - it has made an incredible difference, seriously.


Congratulations on the jump - what was it exactly that worked for you?

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby JJDancer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:39 pm

Kulax22 wrote:
JJDancer wrote:Was that a 28 question RC?


26... why? The extra time? No I also needed about 4 mins on the first LR. I don't know what's wrong with me. I think some of it, not all, was sort of cockiness mixed with weariness. I wasn't as invested in doing well... :(

Yeah I asked because of the extra time.
But don't beat yourself about it so much.
I got a 173 and then a 167 on the next PT but then I went back up to a 170 and I'm confident the next one will be 173+
So there will be ups and downs. Just use it to identify weaknesses (for me one is timing on 28 question RCs). It is a humbling experience when you get a high score like that and then "bomb" but there are variations in tests (in how they ask each LR and what inferences you need to make etc etc) so each test you take helps.

Keep us posted on the future scores and again, don't worry too much.

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby 02082010 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:52 pm

I got a 170 on PT 51 today. I'm not at all happy because the raw score I got was a 89/100 which is the same raw score I got when I took in Oct 08 that was scaled to a 168. My individual performance was -4LR, -4RC, -3LR, -0LG. When I do individual timed LR section I average -1 so I expect myself to get -3 on full PTs but on my last 3 PTs I have done abysmally on LR. I don't know what is going on when I take PTs but I def need to figure it out. My RC is at my average although I'm trying to get that down to -2max. Ahhh.... only 30 days to iron all this out.

User avatar
missvik218
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby missvik218 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:26 pm

Ugh, today was not my day ... crappy performance all around. I introduced a few new variables; I tried taking the test in a public place and I did an experimental section. Here's hoping Saturday is a little kinder, I'm a little shaken, not gonna lie. :x :(

PT 49 - June 2006
LG -1
RC -7 (Experimental; would have been -5, ran out of time
LR -3
RC -6 (would have been -3, ran out of time)
LR -6

Raw +84
Scaled 165

BigJiggaJ87
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:07 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby BigJiggaJ87 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:10 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:I got a 170 on PT 51 today. I'm not at all happy because the raw score I got was a 89/100 which is the same raw score I got when I took in Oct 08 that was scaled to a 168. My individual performance was -4LR, -4RC, -3LR, -0LG. When I do individual timed LR section I average -1 so I expect myself to get -3 on full PTs but on my last 3 PTs I have done abysmally on LR. I don't know what is going on when I take PTs but I def need to figure it out. My RC is at my average although I'm trying to get that down to -2max. Ahhh.... only 30 days to iron all this out.


That's exactly what I got. My breakdown was different (LR -7, LG -0, CR -4) but I'm having the same problem of not being able to transfer my relative success on individual LR sections to PTs. It was my first CR in a long time (over a month) so I'm not entirely disappointed with -4. I definitely noticed that PT51 CR was far more difficult than the last CR sections I did (20s-30s) before my furlough. Anyway, a month is still more than enough to get everything ironed out. Cheers!

Kulax22
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:23 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby Kulax22 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:21 pm

tigress81 wrote:HUZZAH 170 TODAY on PT55

I LOVE EVERYONE! HUGS ALL AROUND!

(now if only i can duplicate this performance again tomorrow!)


Great job keep it up...

Kulax22
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:23 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby Kulax22 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:24 pm

JJDancer wrote:Yeah I asked because of the extra time.
But don't beat yourself about it so much.
I got a 173 and then a 167 on the next PT but then I went back up to a 170 and I'm confident the next one will be 173+
So there will be ups and downs. Just use it to identify weaknesses (for me one is timing on 28 question RCs). It is a humbling experience when you get a high score like that and then "bomb" but there are variations in tests (in how they ask each LR and what inferences you need to make etc etc) so each test you take helps.

Keep us posted on the future scores and again, don't worry too much.


Thanks for the encouragement. It is tough. I am glad there is a support network as such on here :o

I will probably do one tomorrow morning... then give it a rest for a week (practice during the week of course) Not sure if its worth breaking any PTs apart and doing them. I will not be able to do them during the week with work kicking into gear, unless I do them ass-tired and probably make myself feel awful about it. I'm concerned I won't have enough material to keep me going through the weekdays though, without pulling some PTs apart.

User avatar
Bustang
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby Bustang » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:31 am

missvik218 wrote:Ugh, today was not my day ... crappy performance all around. I introduced a few new variables; I tried taking the test in a public place and I did an experimental section. Here's hoping Saturday is a little kinder, I'm a little shaken, not gonna lie. :x :(

PT 49 - June 2006
LG -1
RC -7 (Experimental; would have been -5, ran out of time
LR -3
RC -6 (would have been -3, ran out of time)
LR -6

Raw +84
Scaled 165


Distractions can play a HUGE role in your score. I had a fly buzz around me once during an LR section and I missed 4 in a row. Fuck flies.

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby ruleser » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:43 am

Bustang wrote:Distractions can play a HUGE role in your score. I had a fly buzz around me once during an LR section and I missed 4 in a row. Fuck flies.

+1000 When I took the LSAT in June, I was just about done with the final section (RC) when someone out of the blue starting snorting like mad for the rest of the test (like a nose problem from years of coke use kicked in). I got 3 of the last 7 wrong, for a -5 on RC. Inability to think clearly can be fatal in LSAT.

Speaking of which, finished June 2000 today (yay, a test I had not done before, one of the few):
LG -1
LR -1
LR2 -4
RC -2

-8 = 175 (curve was -14 = 170)

A number of the sections were interrupted by roommate coming home, costing me at least a couple. The -4 was roommate coming home toward the end - got 3 of the last 4 questions wrong. Still, second LR got very tough toward end. The order I did it I did LR2 last - so I had 179 going into the last section, which was my strength, LR. Blech. Maybe would have made the errors anyway, but would have been nice to have been able to just do it without interruption - it is almost impossible for me to ever get to do a test without dogs, roommates - I don't think it helps make me stronger honestly, I think it ruins my practice at focusing right.

This is my 3rd 175, with two approx 169's in between. Other 2 were tests I'd done before. I never scored this high in any of my previous practice. So I think 175 is hopefully where I'm at at the moment, thanks to improvement in games and RC. Now I want to start hitting 180 or right about.

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby ruleser » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:31 am

Well, 175 seems to be the new settled on number. Not sure why I can't crack it, but I'll hope at least it is the new for real where I'm at:
Dec 2000
LG -0
LR1 -1
RC -4
LR2 -3

-8 = 175 (another of those crazy curves - -14 I think = 170 - but with the crazy LR it kind of makes sense)

Now I've hit 4 175's, 2 on newer PT's I'd done a while back, 2 on older ones I never did.

Last run up to the June test I started hitting 169 almost every PT, ended up with 168. I hope this 175 is the new 169...

Kulax22
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:23 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby Kulax22 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:14 am

Did PT48 yesterday...

Reclaimed most of my former "glory" :)

LR -1, LG -1, RC -3, LR -0. My experimental, a LR from PT40, was -1.

Looking at my stats now, I'm really happy because it didn't occur to me just how well I did, raw score wise. Unfortunately, it looks like a lot of people did well because 96=174. If I dock a point for finishing a prob. late, 95=172!! What up with that curve!

For a total disclaimer, I overshot RC by 30 seconds... :evil: :oops: I am really working on clamping down on time. I usually get too comfy with it and then spend a lot on a problem and then am shocked how much time I've burnt through.

Compared to my PT47 on Thursday, this was a much more "comfortable" experience for me. I don't know if (a) I am able to immediately sense whether a test is tough for me and get stressed or (b) I am unconscious of my being more or less pumped and focused, hence certain tests seem tougher. I had no real issues with timing on LR (RC and LG a bit)

Ever notice some LRs are like hitting pavement, immediately, and others seem like sledding down a mountain? Don't know if that's just me and my current mood.

All in all, I was happy to bounce back past 170. :o

lawduder
Posts: 483
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:56 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby lawduder » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:28 am

Kulax22 wrote:Did PT48 yesterday...

Reclaimed most of my former "glory" :)

LR -1, LG -1, RC -3, LR -0. My experimental, a LR from PT40, was -1.

Looking at my stats now, I'm really happy because it didn't occur to me just how well I did, raw score wise. Unfortunately, it looks like a lot of people did well because 96=174. If I dock a point for finishing a prob. late, 95=172!! What up with that curve!

For a total disclaimer, I overshot RC by 30 seconds... :evil: :oops: I am really working on clamping down on time. I usually get too comfy with it and then spend a lot on a problem and then am shocked how much time I've burnt through.

Compared to my PT47 on Thursday, this was a much more "comfortable" experience for me. I don't know if (a) I am able to immediately sense whether a test is tough for me and get stressed or (b) I am unconscious of my being more or less pumped and focused, hence certain tests seem tougher. I had no real issues with timing on LR (RC and LG a bit)

Ever notice some LRs are like hitting pavement, immediately, and others seem like sledding down a mountain? Don't know if that's just me and my current mood.

All in all, I was happy to bounce back past 170. :o

I'm taking PT48 tomorrow, that curve makes me sad :?

User avatar
Bustang
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby Bustang » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:24 pm

Going to attack logic games today so I can get my 165+ tomorrow.

User avatar
buddyblack
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:28 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby buddyblack » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:26 pm

After flirting with the 170's a bit, I fell back to a 169 yesterday on PT 49 - an abysmal performance on LR did me in. The one bright spot was a -1 on RC (which is my best ever!) that I can credit to following advice given earlier on this board. Namely, don't rush through everything and read for content. I realized I was focusing too heavily on marking up the passage and finishing ASAP because I didn't want to run out of time...It's a balance.

Unfortunately, my average on newer PT's is now a 170 - which as a retaker from the high 160's scares me a bit. If I don't consistently score higher my retake might be more of a reckless gamble than I hoped.

Anyway, good luck to all.

tamlyric
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby tamlyric » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:54 pm

:D FINALLY! :D

I broke into the 170s for the first time; it was on PT 46:

1. RC = -1
2. LR1 = -4 (Eh...)
3. LR (Experimental) = -1
4. LR2 = -0
5. LG = -3 (w/1 very stupid mistake... perhaps a breakthrough on games for me)

91 Raw; 171 Scaled.

Now it's time to make 170+ the rule in lieu of the exception!

Best wishes all!

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby Veritas » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:00 pm

:D great PT today. It was an older test with a more forgiving curve, but the improvements are really positive and I'm starting to think I can actually do this.

User avatar
SabermetricFan
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby SabermetricFan » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:27 pm

Highest was 170 that I got once, a month and a half ago before my accident.

Today? A 172 on PT 52. Feelin' it.

User avatar
rbhesser
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:19 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby rbhesser » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:35 am

I DID IT. :D

Today: PT 25

RC: -3
Exp. (LG PT 40): -0
LR1: -7
LG: -0
LR2: -1

Raw: 90/101
Scaled: 171

I am so freaking ecstatic over finally getting into the 170s. I'm so ready to take another one! Although I want to review this test first. I'm stoked to see -1 on an LR section, thats never happened. And getting -0 on two LG sections is awesome, especially after I kept hearing how hard the LG section in PT 40 was. I'm not happy obviously with the -7 on the LR1 section, but I have to say that I'm at my parents house, and during the section people came over so I completely lost focus. I'm more happy that I was able to recover at least a little bit. Need to work on the ability to recover faster though. Hope I can stay up here, this feeling is AWESOME!!!

Kulax22
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:23 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby Kulax22 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:17 pm

rbhesser wrote:Need to work on the ability to recover faster though. Hope I can stay up here, this feeling is AWESOME!!!


Yeah I'm right there with you as of last week. Great job. It is true... it's like the 4 minute mile. Now it's broken and I think it's fair to say there's a whole new mentality that comes with it... :twisted:

I am happy -sort of :oops: - to just discover my recent test was a point higher than I thought -175- because I coded the bubble wrong. Of course, this means I need to be totally aware of my bubbling. Rush=bad bubbling :? :evil:

User avatar
Bustang
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby Bustang » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:52 pm

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


PT 48: OWNED!

LR1: -1
Games: -2(forgot to bubble)
RC: -3
LR2: -3

Raw 91, Scaled 169. (-7 curve, ouch).

To me, this is my 170. The chances of a -7 curve popping up again are pretty slim, so I'm ecstatic. On top of this great score, I felt that the games (not too good at them), RC, and LR2 was pretty damn difficult. I know this is subjective, but getting this kind of grade on a test that I felt was hard is just stupendous. I'm so glad my practice is paying off.

BigJiggaJ87
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:07 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby BigJiggaJ87 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:00 pm

Bustang wrote:WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


PT 48: OWNED!

LR1: -1
Games: -2(forgot to bubble)
RC: -3
LR2: -3

Raw 91, Scaled 169. (-7 curve, ouch).

To me, this is my 170. The chances of a -7 curve popping up again are pretty slim, so I'm ecstatic. On top of this great score, I felt that the games (not too good at them), RC, and LR2 was pretty damn difficult. I know this is subjective, but getting this kind of grade on a test that I felt was hard is just stupendous. I'm so glad my practice is paying off.


Congratulations! I'm working my way through the PTs in order (old to new) and will be taking PT 48 sometime next week. I totally agree with you re: the likelihood, or lack thereof, a 7 pt curve popping up again soon. Great job!

lawduder
Posts: 483
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:56 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby lawduder » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:29 pm

Bustang wrote:WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


PT 48: OWNED!

LR1: -1
Games: -2(forgot to bubble)
RC: -3
LR2: -3

Raw 91, Scaled 169. (-7 curve, ouch).

To me, this is my 170. The chances of a -7 curve popping up again are pretty slim, so I'm ecstatic. On top of this great score, I felt that the games (not too good at them), RC, and LR2 was pretty damn difficult. I know this is subjective, but getting this kind of grade on a test that I felt was hard is just stupendous. I'm so glad my practice is paying off.


I took PT48 today and found the RC (-5) and LG(-0) pretty average, but my LR score was atrocious (to the point where I'm not going to even post it). I felt a little unfocused on the LR which could have been why my score wasn't good. I thought LR1 was more difficult than LR2 though. Also, my PT48 has a scale of 93/101 for 170, that's -8 curve isn't it? Regardless, congrats on an excellent score, I thought this test was hard!

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby ruleser » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:21 pm

June 07 (administered as actual exam by Kaplan - free test event);
LG -1
LR (exp - from old test) -0
LR1 -0
LR2 -1
RC -2

-4 = 175 (harsh curve, -8 = 170)

Some of the sections/games seemed familiar, but right now whether I'm doing familiar stuff or new, newer or older, I'm seem to be hitting exactly 175 each time (5th now) -0 on exp LR is a +

Now I will switch a bit from my lg focus to RC - it is now usually my biggest - , the LG's can still sneak up sometimes I think...

User avatar
hypermeganet
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:34 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby hypermeganet » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:28 pm

soupisgood wrote:I took PT 43 this morning, and I don't know what to think.

LG: -2
LR: -2
RC: -8 (my best section normally)
LR: -7

Raw: 82
Scaled: 165

I don't know what happened! I keep on coming up with excuses as to why my last two sections were so much worse than the first two-- today was the first day I started my "wake up at 6:30, go to the gym, and take a PT" routine; took a bathroom break nearing the end of section 2; did 4 back-to-back sections instead of adding an experimental, and doing 3-break-2 like I usually do, etc.-- but I look back at the -8 and -7 and just get frustrated again. I found myself getting tired in the middle of RC, ran out of time (though I had a full 35 minutes), and missed almost all the questions for the last passage. Not to mention that -7 in LR is a personal worst for me.

Not that I would wish this on others, but does anybody else have an experience like this? :?


Just took this one:

LG: -3
LR: -4
LR: -3
RC: -8 (!)

83, 165

I have been averaging in the upper 160s and a -2/3 on RC so this was an unpleasant surprise for me, too. I actually missed 4 questions on the Spanish code game. I looked at them right after I graded and got them all right on the second look. Ugh. Maybe it was fatigue and maybe it was overconfidence as I've been doing so well on those sections.

lsb
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:46 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby lsb » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:40 pm

ruleser wrote:June 07 (administered as actual exam by Kaplan - free test event);
LG -1
LR (exp - from old test) -0
LR1 -0
LR2 -1
RC -2

-4 = 175 (harsh curve, -8 = 170)

Some of the sections/games seemed familiar, but right now whether I'm doing familiar stuff or new, newer or older, I'm seem to be hitting exactly 175 each time (5th now) -0 on exp LR is a +

Now I will switch a bit from my lg focus to RC - it is now usually my biggest - , the LG's can still sneak up sometimes I think...



I'm having trouble with RC too, but I have really no idea how to study RC.

What do you plan on doing to improve on RC?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot], njames1961, The_Pluviophile, wildquest8200 and 4 guests