The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby ruleser » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:54 pm

Bustang wrote:Took PT 41 this morning.
Raw 81
Scaled 163.

The good:
I finished every section with 5+ minutes remaining (9 minutes left on RC).
I felt that the LR was extremely difficult, yet I only missed 7 for both sections.
It helped me re-realize a huge weakness I have in my LG section. I need to start doing spatial grouping games asap.
I was extremely tired yet I still scored well.
This is the 5th test ive taken that I've scored above 80 raw on. Woo!

The bad:
I missed 10 questions on my LG section. 7 of which were all from the stupid fucking picnic game that I couldn't setup.
Little mistakes are killing me. I literally should have gotten -0 on all sections besides LG but i either read too fast or had it narrowed down to 2 and made the incorrect choice. However, i'm averaging -3/-4 on LR/RC so I'm happy.


Conclusion: I'm going to start my logic game self-beatdown tonight. I will do at least 2 timed LG sections every day on top of my typical practice. I feel extremely good about RC/LR now which is great. Starting this weekend I will begin doing 5 section prep tests. Im not worried at all about it, but rather I'm kind of excited. I don't feel fatigued during tests and I get more practice this way. My goal for 85 raw score is near my friends, very near.

I hope every ones week is going well!

Holy crappola. You read like the wind...

lawduder
Posts: 483
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:56 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby lawduder » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:05 pm

Today I cheated and retook June 09 (PT57), the same test I bombed with a 157.

LR -5
RC -5
LG -0 (I'm usually -0/-1 on games so this isn't anything special)

raw - 91
scaled - 171

I clearly remembered the LR sections and how to work the games. While I didn't answer any questions from memory (I couldn't remember the answers anyways), I definitely recognized some of the stimuli. However, even though I had read the passages before, I had never reviewed answers on the RC section becuase I was so disgusted with my original score of -10. I usually would have opted not to retake any PT, but I only have 9 "new" tests, 48-56, and I have them assigned perfectly throughout September to keep the pace up right until Sept 23rd and I didn't want to take too long of a break between tests. Regardless, I worked through all of the questions just as I would for any other PT and while I'm certainly not walking away from this telling myself "woah, you broke 170," I still think it was two and a half hours well spent for good practice.

User avatar
Bustang
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby Bustang » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:45 pm

lawduder wrote:Today I cheated and retook June 09 (PT57), the same test I bombed with a 157.

LR -5
RC -5
LG -0 (I'm usually -0/-1 on games so this isn't anything special)

raw - 91
scaled - 171

I clearly remembered the LR sections and how to work the games. While I didn't answer any questions from memory (I couldn't remember the answers anyways), I definitely recognized some of the stimuli. However, even though I had read the passages before, I had never reviewed answers on the RC section becuase I was so disgusted with my original score of -10. I usually would have opted not to retake any PT, but I only have 9 "new" tests, 48-56, and I have them assigned perfectly throughout September to keep the pace up right until Sept 23rd and I didn't want to take too long of a break between tests. Regardless, I worked through all of the questions just as I would for any other PT and while I'm certainly not walking away from this telling myself "woah, you broke 170," I still think it was two and a half hours well spent for good practice.


I completely agree. While you didn't necessarily "see" your mistakes, this enabled you to re-work through something you didn't do too hot on and allowed you to build up some confidence. Now go knock out a 165+ on your next one (you and me both brother) :D

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby 02082010 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:48 pm

lawduder wrote:Today I cheated and retook June 09 (PT57), the same test I bombed with a 157.

LR -5
RC -5
LG -0 (I'm usually -0/-1 on games so this isn't anything special)

raw - 91
scaled - 171

I clearly remembered the LR sections and how to work the games. While I didn't answer any questions from memory (I couldn't remember the answers anyways), I definitely recognized some of the stimuli. However, even though I had read the passages before, I had never reviewed answers on the RC section becuase I was so disgusted with my original score of -10. I usually would have opted not to retake any PT, but I only have 9 "new" tests, 48-56, and I have them assigned perfectly throughout September to keep the pace up right until Sept 23rd and I didn't want to take too long of a break between tests. Regardless, I worked through all of the questions just as I would for any other PT and while I'm certainly not walking away from this telling myself "woah, you broke 170," I still think it was two and a half hours well spent for good practice.


Clean up the RC and look to the 154 to 179 thread advice on LR. Good luck broooo.

User avatar
rbhesser
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:19 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby rbhesser » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Well... today sucked. I'm so mad at myself for this test.

PT 35

LR1 -3
RC -3 (awesome for me)
LG -0 (2nd time with this score)
LR2 -8 (WTF! I didn't even miss this many in one section during my diagnostic!)

raw: 87
scaled: 168 (this is tied with my highest score)

I was pressed for time with the last section and just pushed my way through it. Completely unable to wrap my head around it. I really thought this was going to be the test that I broke 170 and then I just completely fell apart at the end. I can't let myself do that.

Does anybody else have the problem that when they find a question they have a hard time answering it kills their confidence for the next few? I usually miss one, and then miss one or two more right afterwards.

Kulax22
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:23 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby Kulax22 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:16 pm

rbhesser wrote:Does anybody else have the problem that when they find a question they have a hard time answering it kills their confidence for the next few? I usually miss one, and then miss one or two more right afterwards.



Well those questions certainly kill my time. Yeah, it's a pain to get it out of your head. What I've learned recently is to never waiver until the test is over, because my recent test was my best and seemed to suck big time. I try to circle it and come back. Even if I don't have time to actually correct it, at least my brain is saying "ok it's not a lost cause, I'll finish the rest and then come back"

User avatar
multiprose
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:08 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby multiprose » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:49 pm

MixedGirl2009 wrote:A new strategy I am planning to try out is using a thin highlighter to mark the passage as I read, by the way, are pens allowed on the exam? I have never looked into this but help me to use a colored pen during RC.


Hi there,

I was wondering how has the highlighter technique work out for you?

Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks!

User avatar
Kiersten1985
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby Kiersten1985 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:20 pm

I scored a 171 both yesterday and tonight -my first 170+'s!

There is hope!

Has anyone noticed a point where you sort of just GET LR? I hope that doesn't sound douchy -I just mean you get into this zone where you can see the wrong answer choices. It's pretty fucking incredible.

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10380
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby TTH » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:31 pm

Help!

I've hit a plateau at 165 (last three PTs straight), and it's driving me mad.

I have been drilling LG like mad and have an avg. of -10/-13 to -5/-6, but I'm still having timing issues (I had to guess on the last two questions of my last PT).

LR has hovered around -5 per section, which is hurting me badly.

RC is in good shape. Usually a -1 or -2.

I feel like I should switch over to LR for intensive drilling/bible review, but I'm worried about my timing for LGs. Should I get LGs whipped completely while throwing in an occasional LR section, or should I direct the majority of my effort on LR while doing the occasional LG section.

I can not wait until this test is no longer a part of my life.

Kulax22
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:23 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby Kulax22 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:36 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:Help!
I feel like I should switch over to LR for intensive drilling/bible review, but I'm worried about my timing for LGs. Should I get LGs whipped completely while throwing in an occasional LR section, or should I direct the majority of my effort on LR while doing the occasional LG section.

I can not wait until this test is no longer a part of my life.


Well... LR is 2 sections and LG is 1... so I'd focus on LR now. Doesn't mean you can't do a couple LGs per day.

I too am hoping for this test to be over and done (well). I am realizing all the other sorts of things I could be doing with my time, both practice-time and time taken by my mental anxieties. :|

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby JJDancer » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:45 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:Help!

I've hit a plateau at 165 (last three PTs straight), and it's driving me mad.

I have been drilling LG like mad and have an avg. of -10/-13 to -5/-6, but I'm still having timing issues (I had to guess on the last two questions of my last PT).

LR has hovered around -5 per section, which is hurting me badly.

RC is in good shape. Usually a -1 or -2.

I feel like I should switch over to LR for intensive drilling/bible review, but I'm worried about my timing for LGs. Should I get LGs whipped completely while throwing in an occasional LR section, or should I direct the majority of my effort on LR while doing the occasional LG section.

I can not wait until this test is no longer a part of my life.


Spend 3-4 days with the LRB and go through it once and do the practice questions. Then take a PT or go back to more "balanced" studying with LG as well. Then return to any chapters in the LRB that you need more practice with. A little time off from LG won't hurt you too much. LR is two sections so spend some time on that first.

User avatar
missvik218
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby missvik218 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:57 am

Has anyone in here taken PT 51? Can you help me with this please?!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=83888

insidethetwenty
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:00 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby insidethetwenty » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:40 am

I eased back into it yesterday. I worked a single game from PT 7 in 8 minutes flat, missing none. Worked a single RC passage in 6 minutes flat, missing none, and worked the last 5 from an LR section in 6-7 minutes, missing 2.

It was certainly a good confidence boost going into today, wherein I will be working and reviewing a section of LG.

A helpful hint for everybody:

When you do your LG setups, make sure you know what they mean! I used to find myself making these perfect setups and then having no clue what I had just done. Know the information first, and the rest will follow.

leicesterlaw
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:42 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby leicesterlaw » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:42 am

Took PT 29 (Oct 1999) this morning.
Raw 88
Scaled 169.

The good:
This is my highest score so far. My highest score before now was a 167. I had been averaging between 163 - 167
I feel so motivated but I have to pace myself since I have till February to take the exam.

The bad:
I still make stupid/silly mistakes with the Logical Reasoning. I misread stuff and it costs me.


Conclusion: I'm feeling more and more optimistic about breaking 170. I never thought I'd be here today especially given that my diagnostic was 145. If I am able to be less panicky and read more carefully, I'll definitely do fine. It's annoying when looking at the answers and realize you could have gotten the answers correctly if you read a little more carefully.

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby ruleser » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:35 pm

olemissundergrad wrote:I eased back into it yesterday. I worked a single game from PT 7 in 8 minutes flat, missing none. Worked a single RC passage in 6 minutes flat, missing none, and worked the last 5 from an LR section in 6-7 minutes, missing 2.

It was certainly a good confidence boost going into today, wherein I will be working and reviewing a section of LG.

A helpful hint for everybody:

When you do your LG setups, make sure you know what they mean! I used to find myself making these perfect setups and then having no clue what I had just done. Know the information first, and the rest will follow.

+1 I used to just write and put everything where it should go without really having read and thought about it. Reading and thinking first, and really putting it all in my head, and then writing just to lay it out in some helpful way works far better. It's a bit scary to not be rushing and writing at first, but after you realize how much better it works.

On a separate note, lamo night last night, did Oct 2000:
-4 LG
-6 RC (WTF)
-2 LR (only did 1 LR section)

The curve is enormous, like -14, but still, down already to 172 with 1 section left to do - and mainly my 2 previously weak sections getting weak again. Amazing how just a couple days off or being tired can really affect things. I simply didn't read rules carefully on a couple games because I was tired - actually pretty glad to see just a -4 on a tough year under those circumstances.

User avatar
doinmybest
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby doinmybest » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:07 pm

Man it sure is hard to stay in the 170s once you get there. This is what I'm finding out the hard way.

schrodingercat
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:52 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby schrodingercat » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:58 pm

Hi all, new to this board/forum. I'm averaging 163 on practice tests, really want to get above 170. My biggest problem is LR questions, mostly just careless mistakes. My very first diagnostic I was at 157, had a lot of free time at the end of every section. Been doing a lot of untimed practice and now my PTs have me scrambling for time because I'm spending more time thinking about each question. But not enough, because I still make careless mistakes. Any tips from those who've been able to work through this ceiling??

Kulax22
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:23 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby Kulax22 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:28 pm

MAJOR RELAPSE today :oops: :x :evil:

Got 167 on PT45, 177 on PT46, and now 167 on PT47 (LR: -5, -4; RC -2 LG -2)

Even worse, I went over time on a bunch of sections early on. So I technically did worse actually than that score.

I don't know WTF is my issue. :shock: I usually finish sections with 3-5 minutes to spare. I think I needed 4 minutes extra for RC.

I'm not sure if it's the fact I had to go to the bathroom, the fact CA is blazing hot today and I don't have adequate AC, the fact I got too cocky and lost pressure, etc. :?:

I'm going to review and hopefully do one more PT tomorrow or Saturday. I'm still stoked from my major "victory" a couple days ago, but I'm worried big time. I want to consistently hit above 170...

Any observations?

Edit: realized it could have been a point higher, even forgot to correct an answer I had discovered before the LG ended. :cry:

lakerfanimal
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:22 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby lakerfanimal » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:49 pm

Kulax22 wrote:MAJOR RELAPSE today :oops: :x :evil:

Got 167 on PT45, 177 on PT46, and now 167 on PT47 (LR: -5, -4; RC -2 LG -2)

Even worse, I went over time on a bunch of sections early on. So I technically did worse actually than that score.

I don't know WTF is my issue. :shock: I usually finish sections with 3-5 minutes to spare. I think I needed 4 minutes extra for RC.

I'm not sure if it's the fact I had to go to the bathroom, the fact CA is blazing hot today and I don't have adequate AC, the fact I got too cocky and lost pressure, etc. :?:

I'm going to review and hopefully do one more PT tomorrow or Saturday. I'm still stoked from my major "victory" a couple days ago, but I'm worried big time. I want to consistently hit above 170...

Any observations?

Edit: realized it could have been a point higher, even forgot to correct an answer I had discovered before the LG ended. :cry:


Just don't worry too much, but put a lot into your reviewing of the test. The fact that you got a 177 shows you're capable of scoring higher, so review PT 47 hardcore, and then after that, review PT 46 too to see where you sort of differed in your approaches to questions you missed.

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby JJDancer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:02 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:
Kulax22 wrote:MAJOR RELAPSE today :oops: :x :evil:

Got 167 on PT45, 177 on PT46, and now 167 on PT47 (LR: -5, -4; RC -2 LG -2)

Even worse, I went over time on a bunch of sections early on. So I technically did worse actually than that score.

I don't know WTF is my issue. :shock: I usually finish sections with 3-5 minutes to spare. I think I needed 4 minutes extra for RC.

I'm not sure if it's the fact I had to go to the bathroom, the fact CA is blazing hot today and I don't have adequate AC, the fact I got too cocky and lost pressure, etc. :?:

I'm going to review and hopefully do one more PT tomorrow or Saturday. I'm still stoked from my major "victory" a couple days ago, but I'm worried big time. I want to consistently hit above 170...

Any observations?

Edit: realized it could have been a point higher, even forgot to correct an answer I had discovered before the LG ended. :cry:


Just don't worry too much, but put a lot into your reviewing of the test. The fact that you got a 177 shows you're capable of scoring higher, so review PT 47 hardcore, and then after that, review PT 46 too to see where you sort of differed in your approaches to questions you missed.

Was that a 28 question RC?

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby ruleser » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:21 pm

doinmybest wrote:Man it sure is hard to stay in the 170s once you get there. This is what I'm finding out the hard way.

+1
I kind of feel like once you get it, you need to stop because it's just a matter of doing it all out on game day. But then I also know once you stop you go back to forgetting the nuances that put you over the top. I wish it were like the computerized GRE when you could just go take it whenever you wish/date/time of day.

Kulax22
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:23 am

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby Kulax22 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:25 pm

JJDancer wrote:Was that a 28 question RC?


26... why? The extra time? No I also needed about 4 mins on the first LR. I don't know what's wrong with me. I think some of it, not all, was sort of cockiness mixed with weariness. I wasn't as invested in doing well... :(

tigress81
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:48 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby tigress81 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:24 pm

HUZZAH 170 TODAY on PT55

I LOVE EVERYONE! HUGS ALL AROUND!

(now if only i can duplicate this performance again tomorrow!)

User avatar
brose002
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:34 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby brose002 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:31 pm

tigress81 wrote:HUZZAH 170 TODAY on PT55

I LOVE EVERYONE! HUGS ALL AROUND!

(now if only i can duplicate this performance again tomorrow!)


congratulations!!!!

tigress81
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:48 pm

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby tigress81 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:34 pm

I was reading some other advice on the forum on Monday night and decided to implement it - it has made an incredible difference, seriously.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: galeatus and 10 guests