The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

brose002

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby brose002 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:42 pm

I should have taken the advice in the first place. I was just hoping that the last test was a fluke. This proves to me that it wasn't. I'm going to take the next week and do nothing but RC, and then guage where I'm at after that.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:17 am

JJDancer wrote:
brose002 wrote:So I ended up taking a test today instead of doing more RC. Boy did that bite me in the ass. I ended up with a 165 and an 83 raw score
LG: -2
LR(EXP):-1
LR1:-5(I ran out of time on this, and didn't get a chance to double check my answers)
LR2:-0( I was so happy when I saw this score. My first -0)
RC:-11!!!!!!!(And I was pissed with my -8. I ended up running out of time after the third section, and guessed on the last passage. I ended up getting 5 out of 6 wrong on that. I also had to rush the third passage and got 4 out of 6 wrong on that)

This is irritating me so much, because I know I can do well enough on the LR and LG to get a 170, but this RC makes me want to pull my hair out.

Don't worry. You will get it. Instead of doing PTs take the advice people gave before with time off and untimed RC only!

Untimed RC? What's the benefit? Do you start to slowly increase your reading speed?

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:56 am

veritas85 wrote:
JJDancer wrote:
brose002 wrote:So I ended up taking a test today instead of doing more RC. Boy did that bite me in the ass. I ended up with a 165 and an 83 raw score
LG: -2
LR(EXP):-1
LR1:-5(I ran out of time on this, and didn't get a chance to double check my answers)
LR2:-0( I was so happy when I saw this score. My first -0)
RC:-11!!!!!!!(And I was pissed with my -8. I ended up running out of time after the third section, and guessed on the last passage. I ended up getting 5 out of 6 wrong on that. I also had to rush the third passage and got 4 out of 6 wrong on that)

This is irritating me so much, because I know I can do well enough on the LR and LG to get a 170, but this RC makes me want to pull my hair out.

Don't worry. You will get it. Instead of doing PTs take the advice people gave before with time off and untimed RC only!

Untimed RC? What's the benefit? Do you start to slowly increase your reading speed?

Sorry i wasn't clear. I was just referring to the past advice.
I didn't mean only do untimed RC. I meant just do RC sections for a few days.
And I suggested doing 40 min sections to get better at accuracy and see if its a speed issue (like rushing that leads to lost points) or a comprehension issue where you need to focus on how you look at / understand the passage.

brose002

Postby brose002 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:27 am

My plan is to do a couple sections tomorrow and see how I do untimed. If I do significantly better then I know it is a timing issue. At that point Im going to start working on doing nothing but timed 35 minute section, and I hope as time goes on I will be able to know what they are going to ask about in the question. I think that will save a lot of time. Im basically going to do the same thing I did to get my LR down from a -5 average to a -1/-2 average. I hope it works. I have a month to get it right. If I can fix it then I have a strong shot at 170.

TTH

Postby TTH » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:51 am

PT 14

LG: -5
LR1: -4
RC: -1
LR2: -7 :evil:

Raw: 84
Scaled: 165

I think I lost focus on the last section when I saw the light at the end of the tunnel. I fnished that section with four or five minutes remaining. I pray to god section five is the experimental come 9/26.

brose002

Postby brose002 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:58 am

TipTravHoot wrote:PT 14

LG: -5
LR1: -4
RC: -1
LR2: -7 :evil:

Raw: 84
Scaled: 165

I think I lost focus on the last section when I saw the light at the end of the tunnel. I fnished that section with four or five minutes remaining. I pray to god section five is the experimental come 9/26.

I hate to break it to you, but its better that you know so you can prepare for it. The experimental section is always in the first three sections.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:58 am

brose002 wrote:My plan is to do a couple sections tomorrow and see how I do untimed. If I do significantly better then I know it is a timing issue. At that point Im going to start working on doing nothing but timed 35 minute section, and I hope as time goes on I will be able to know what they are going to ask about in the question. I think that will save a lot of time. Im basically going to do the same thing I did to get my LR down from a -5 average to a -1/-2 average. I hope it works. I have a month to get it right. If I can fix it then I have a strong shot at 170.

I presently miss between 3-6 LR per section. Any words of wisdom?
Thanks

brose002

Postby brose002 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:02 am

JJDancer wrote:
brose002 wrote:My plan is to do a couple sections tomorrow and see how I do untimed. If I do significantly better then I know it is a timing issue. At that point Im going to start working on doing nothing but timed 35 minute section, and I hope as time goes on I will be able to know what they are going to ask about in the question. I think that will save a lot of time. Im basically going to do the same thing I did to get my LR down from a -5 average to a -1/-2 average. I hope it works. I have a month to get it right. If I can fix it then I have a strong shot at 170.

Thanks

Truth be told I think it is all in your mindset. You need to go in with a positive attitude with the LR sections, and truly believe you can get -0 or -1. I really think this test has a major psychological factor to it. Just take frequent practice tests, and eventually you will begin to see positive results.

TTH

Postby TTH » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:57 am

brose002 wrote:I hate to break it to you, but its better that you know so you can prepare for it. The experimental section is always in the first three sections.

Really? That's good to know. Thank you!

MixedGirl2009

Postby MixedGirl2009 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:19 pm

JJDancer wrote:

Thanks

Yea try to finish your practice sections in 30 to 32 minutes, to make room for test day anxiety or checking answers

brose002

Postby brose002 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:12 pm

That is my plan. I am working on timing myself right now, and trying to limit each passage to under 8 minutes. I did a few passages earlier with no time limit just to make sure it was a timing issue, and I missed 2 problems in the three passages. So this is most certainly a timing error. I then started to time myself, and I decided to use a highlighter for underlining instead of a pencil. It actually helped out a LOT. Everything popped out at me when I was looking for answers. I have done two passages since and both of them have been completed in 7 minutes and 30 seconds. I missed one problem on each. So to anyone that is having timing issues, you might want to use a highlighter.

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:41 pm

Took PT47 today -

LR -9 (4 of these were face-slapping mistakes)
RC -5 (considering my last PT was -12, I ditched the marking up stuff and just read with minimal underlining; huge improvement, but definitely still room for more)
LG -1 (I found the circuit game very irritating)

raw 85
scaled 166

I really hate those philosophical stimuli :?

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:02 pm

Did Dec 07 yesterday:

LG -2
LR -2
RC -1 (best I've ever done on one of these)
LR -1
Total - 6 = 175

Being as I'd done this (and basically) every test at some point I'm not sure how to take them, but I don't remember answers and do have to figure them all out. My LG practice I think is paying off the most - and going back to how I used to do RC, not thinking about undelining, etc, just reading. Also. a point someone made on here has helped knock down mistakes - they mentioned all the ones they got wrong were ones they felt unsure about - that's the case with me too, so I've started not accepting that, when I am unsure I relook at all answers, even ones I crossed out right away. A number of times I am finding I've crossed out ones that are the real answer - and basically that I should almost never leave a question unsure that it is correct, since you can really get to right/vs/wrong. I had done this pretty well for LR, but applying this to RC I think is really helping - and with LR it's helping 1 or 2 per test.

For the guy with the RC problem above, really, just do those. The real improvements I've had are when I drill 1 particular thing again and again, be it a specific type of LR question, specific type of LG question, etc. I can do 100 of them mixed as PT's or sections and not progress, but when I drill and drill one thing, my brain sort of finally solves it in a way that works for me. Just think of it like dance - if your splits and jumps are good but your pirhouettes stink, you don't just keep doing full routines that only have an occasional pirohuette, you just go practice those. If it's your jumps that suck, you go work on those. That's the only way to get to, "Aha, that's what I've been doing wrong."

So this is my 2nd 175 in a week, with a more medicore test in between (I had -10 after 3 sections so didn't do the 4th, guessing would have been 167-168 blech) Since the -10 was one I'd taken before, I'm hoping these 175's mean something even though on repeat tests.

Anyone have experience redoing tests - how'd you score?

I'm back to drilling LG/RC...

misslawyer2013

Postby misslawyer2013 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:06 pm

ruleser wrote:Did Dec 07 yesterday:

LG -2
LR -2
RC -1 (best I've ever done on one of these)
LR -1
Total - 6 = 175

Being as I'd done this (and basically) every test at some point I'm not sure how to take them, but I don't remember answers and do have to figure them all out. My LG practice I think is paying off the most - and going back to how I used to do RC, not thinking about undelining, etc, just reading. Also. a point someone made on here has helped knock down mistakes - they mentioned all the ones they got wrong were ones they felt unsure about - that's the case with me too, so I've started not accepting that, when I am unsure I relook at all answers, even ones I crossed out right away. A number of times I am finding I've crossed out ones that are the real answer - and basically that I should almost never leave a question unsure that it is correct, since you can really get to right/vs/wrong. I had done this pretty well for LR, but applying this to RC I think is really helping - and with LR it's helping 1 or 2 per test.

For the guy with the RC problem above, really, just do those. The real improvements I've had are when I drill 1 particular thing again and again, be it a specific type of LR question, specific type of LG question, etc. I can do 100 of them mixed as PT's or sections and not progress, but when I drill and drill one thing, my brain sort of finally solves it in a way that works for me. Just think of it like dance - if your splits and jumps are good but your pirhouettes stink, you don't just keep doing full routines that only have an occasional pirohuette, you just go practice those. If it's your jumps that suck, you go work on those. That's the only way to get to, "Aha, that's what I've been doing wrong."

So this is my 2nd 175 in a week, with a more medicore test in between (I had -10 after 3 sections so didn't do the 4th, guessing would have been 167-168 blech) Since the -10 was one I'd taken before, I'm hoping these 175's mean something even though on repeat tests.

Anyone have experience redoing tests - how'd you score?

I'm back to drilling LG/RC...

Re-doing test or sections always affect me; either I remember the right answer or the wrong answer but In general my score is always positively skewed.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:40 pm

misslawyer2013 wrote:Re-doing test or sections always affect me; either I remember the right answer or the wrong answer but In general my score is always positively skewed.

Yeah. I don't remember answers, but do recall when a question was hard for me. Are your scores skewed by a lot or a little? (ie do you get 175's or just a few extra points or?)

Raskolnikoff

Postby Raskolnikoff » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:57 pm

Just took PT 50 (Oct '06). Raw 83. Scaled 164.

RC -7
LR -4
LG -3
LR -3

The "Basins of Attraction" passage totally knocked me on my ass. Missed 5 out of 7. Probably could have done as as well by skipping and guessing. I'm so disgusted.. I first thought the "Colonial and Native Cultures" passage was hard, but I actually aced it.

Found LR and LG to be very reasonable, I just made stupid mistakes.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:46 pm

Raskolnikoff wrote:Just took PT 50 (Oct '06). Raw 83. Scaled 164.

RC -7
LR -4
LG -3
LR -3

The "Basins of Attraction" passage totally knocked me on my ass. Missed 5 out of 7. Probably could have done as as well by skipping and guessing. I'm so disgusted.. I first thought the "Colonial and Native Cultures" passage was hard, but I actually aced it.

You and me both! I just did PT50 yesterday. Basins of Attraction was a pain in my ass and I ended up having to guess.

Also, the LG about the parents/students/teachers was annoying. Going back over it, I was able to solve it simply and quickly -- but my diagramming really slowed me down yesterday.

LG -3
RC -2
LR -5
Total: -10!/170

Raskolnikoff

Postby Raskolnikoff » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:59 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:

RC -7
LR -4
LG -3
LR -3

You and me both! I just did PT50 yesterday. Basins of Attraction was a pain in my ass and I ended up having to guess.

Also, the LG about the parents/students/teachers was annoying. Going back over it, I was able to solve it simply and quickly -- but my diagramming really slowed me down yesterday.

LG -3
RC -2
LR -5

That game is much easier if you set up 3 different scenarios: with a student being selected in each and leaving the rest of the spaces to parents and teachers. For one of the scenarios (forgot which student), there is only one way the rest of the spaces can be filled.

teaadntoast

Postby teaadntoast » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:18 pm

PT51

LR1: -3
RC: -3
LR2: -4
LG: -1

Raw: 89
Scaled: 170

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:36 pm

Raskolnikoff wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:

RC -7
LR -4
LG -3
LR -3

LG -3
RC -2
LR -5

That game is much easier if you set up 3 different scenarios: with a student being selected in each and leaving the rest of the spaces to parents and teachers. For one of the scenarios (forgot which student), there is only one way the rest of the spaces can be filled.

Ahhhh, OK. Damnit. Thank you for the pointer. I am really bad at realizing when it makes sense to do a "limited option" diagram like the one you described. It's one of my biggest weaknesses -- remembering to try and pull that out when it makes sense.

theplacesyoullgo

Postby theplacesyoullgo » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:29 pm

So, this is my dilemma. I feel like I've gotten nowhere with the logic games since I started prepping in mid-July.

I'm taking a PowerScore class. I understand how to set up the logic games, and I'm convinced that if I had 20 more minutes (yeah, I know...) to complete the section, I would get them all right (but wouldn't we all?). I either get 3 of the 4 games done with good accuracy, or I get them all done with mediocre accuracy.

I took a practice test today - 169. However, I got ten incorrect on logic games, which is actually worse than my last two practice tests' logic games sections.

I'm incredibly frustrated and unsure what to do. I'm aiming for 171/172. Does anyone have tips for someone who just can't seem to improve on the logic games? Does it really come down to just practicing? I know everyone says "Powerscore Bible," and while I am trying to work my way through it, it's essentially a review of what I've already done in the actual Powerscore class (which apparently isn't really helping).

I might just do something like 8 logic games sections in a row and see if my performance improves from the first to the last one.

bottomshelf

Postby bottomshelf » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:41 pm

Have you tried sudoku puzzles or re-taking old games?

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:46 pm

PT 36 (My last of the older tests)
LR -3
RC -5 (I ran out of time and didn't even get to answer the last 3 ... it was timing rather than accuracy)
LR -3
LG -1

Raw +89
Scaled 170

My second 170, feels ... ok :oops: I felt really distracted tonight, things weren't clicking I read and re-read a lot of stimuli, and my RC was really slow. But if my off days are going to be 170s I'm not complaining, we'll see what happens on Tuesday when I officially and permanently move into the newer exams.
Last edited by missvik218 on Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theplacesyoullgo

Postby theplacesyoullgo » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:47 pm

bottomshelf wrote:Have you tried sudoku puzzles or re-taking old games?

Considering I'm taking the LSAT next month, I'll probably stay away from prep which isn't totally applicable to the LSAT itself, but you have a good point about re-taking old games and seeing if I've at least absorbed some of the concepts.

theplacesyoullgo

Postby theplacesyoullgo » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:48 pm

missvik218 wrote:My second 170, feels ... ok :oops: I felt really distracted tonight, things were clicking I read and re-read a lot of stimuli, and my RC was really slow. But if my off days are going to be 170s I'm not complaining, we'll see what happens on Tuesday when I officially and permanently move into the newer exams.

Is Test 37 widely considered to be the dividing line between the "newer" and older exams?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”