The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Doxide

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby Doxide » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:44 pm

God I got owned. I took the February 1997 PT today. Every section pretty much went down the tube for me. Did anyone else take this test before? I just felt like it was so much harder than any other PT I've ever taken.

LR1: -7 (god, horrible, but it was a hard section so I figured what the hell, bad break.)
LG: -5 (Wasn't bad, just a wierd 3rd game threw me off.)
RC: -7 (WTF! RC is usually my strength and I can generally pull off -1 or -2)
LR2: -10 (WTFF!!!!! This was the lowest timed LR section I've EVER gotten. Even lower than the first cold PT I've taken. I have no idea how this happened. I'm so angry I feel like I could punch a hole through my wall.)

Which means I'm back down to a 161, right where I started. Right now I feel like giving up. My body just feels like it's got no energy left. Is this the infamous burnout that everyone keeps talking about on the forums? I feel so disgusted with myself. It's like all the hard work I've put into studying for the past 3 weeks have meant nothing. Bah...I don't even want to look at a LSAT book right now.

iminlstrick

Postby iminlstrick » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:46 pm

Doxide wrote:God I got owned. I took the February 1997 PT today. Every section pretty much went down the tube for me. Did anyone else take this test before? I just felt like it was so much harder than any other PT I've ever taken.

LR1: -7 (god, horrible, but it was a hard section so I figured what the hell, bad break.)
LR2: -10 (WTFF!!!!! This was the lowest timed LR section I've EVER gotten. Even lower than the first cold PT I've taken. I have no idea how this happened. I'm so angry I feel like I could punch a hole through my wall.)

Which means I'm back down to a 161, right where I started. Right now I feel like giving up. My body just feels like it's got no energy left. Is this the infamous burnout that everyone keeps talking about on the forums? I feel so disgusted with myself. It's like all the hard work I've put into studying for the past 3 weeks have meant nothing. Bah...I don't even want to look at a LSAT book right now.

This happens. A lot. Seriously don't worry about it, one bad test is just a good place to look at your weaknesses and to keep you from getting overconfident. I had a 163 my first time with the December '08 test and nearly quit LSAT altogether. Take a few days off if you need to get away from the omgcrisiskilself mentality and return to it fresh and ready to flesh out your weaknesses in an objective manner.

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:47 pm

Doxide wrote:God I got owned. I took the February 1997 PT today. Every section pretty much went down the tube for me. Did anyone else take this test before? I just felt like it was so much harder than any other PT I've ever taken.

Take a day off, it helps, trust me. I blew up with a 159, took a day off, then came back strong with a 168.

cpaige

Postby cpaige » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:24 pm

lawduder wrote:

Take a day off, it helps, trust me. I blew up with a 159, took a day off, then came back strong with a 168.

i concur with the above. i blew it with a 157 after diag'ing with a 164. i took a couple of days off and have been PT'ing around 166/167 since. don't worry about it; one bad test is actually, i think, good because it keeps you from getting too comfortable/cocky. it keeps me on my toes, at least.

solotee

Postby solotee » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:30 pm

Definitely drop anything LSAT related for 1-2 days. Trust me, the fresh perspective will get you back in the game. You're not doing any worse, your brain just needs a break. With so much at stake, it's hard to recognize when burnout hits you.

Doxide

Postby Doxide » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:13 pm

Thanks guys, I'm going to take your advice and take the weekend off. I'm gonna hang out with friends and watch a movie or something. Hopefully come Monday I'll be back, ready to fight in the trenches again.

solotee

Postby solotee » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:39 pm

I'm going to switch to 2 PT's a week instead of 3. I'm dissapointed with my all time low of 158 today on PT 44. It seems like I'm getting diminishing returns with all this studying. Can't wait for this misery to be over with!!

lsb

Postby lsb » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:53 pm

solotee wrote:I'm going to switch to 2 PT's a week instead of 3. I'm dissapointed with my all time low of 158 today on PT 44. It seems like I'm getting diminishing returns with all this studying. Can't wait for this misery to be over with!!

What did you think of PT 44? I just took it yesterday and it seemed like the games and RC were easier but LR seemed harder.

EmVan

Postby EmVan » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:10 pm

Hit a 175 (-9 raw) Wednesday on PrepTest B in the SuperPrep. Seems like quite the forgiving curve though, and people are saying that the test itself felt easier than most, so I'm not holding my breath. I'll be hitting another PT tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes!

solotee

Postby solotee » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:26 pm

lsb wrote:
solotee wrote:I'm going to switch to 2 PT's a week instead of 3. I'm dissapointed with my all time low of 158 today on PT 44. It seems like I'm getting diminishing returns with all this studying. Can't wait for this misery to be over with!!

What did you think of PT 44? I just took it yesterday and it seemed like the games and RC were easier but LR seemed harder.

I finished games in 28 minutes missing only 1. But it's kind of a distorted score because 2 of the 4 games are from the LGB.

I did think LR was a bit more difficult, missed more than usual. I don't know what's going on with RC, I actually did worse than my diagnostics. I think the time pressure really gets to me :?

What was your score on PT 44? How did you do?

forza

Postby forza » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:57 pm

Absolutely atrocious performance on PT 43 today, marred by careless reading mistakes and even a mis-marked answer. Granted, I got very little sleep last night and I did take 6 sections in this order:

1. LR -6 19/25
2. LR -2 23/25 (experimental from PT 7)
3. LR -4 22/26
4. LG -4 18/22
5. RC -5 23/28
6. RC -2 25/27 (added 6th section from PT 7)

It was kind of like torture having three LR sections in a row, so maybe that contributed to the low score. But you know what they say about excuses...

Raw: 82
LSAT: 165

Taking a day or two off from PTs. I'm getting so frustrated at this mid-160s plateau.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:08 pm

I knew it'd only be a matter of time before I was back in the club.

June 2007 PT: Raw -- 89 Scaled -- 167
RC: -5 (Tried avoiding reading for details to cut down on my time...DIDNT WORK)
LG: -3 (wtf)
LR: -3 (A little disappointing, but more or less normal)

I DEFINITELY find the more recent tests more difficult. And I'm not talking about the curves, either -- just the questions themselves.

redrdstr

Postby redrdstr » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:20 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:I knew it'd only be a matter of time before I was back in the club.

I DEFINITELY find the more recent tests more difficult. And I'm not talking about the curves, either -- just the questions themselves.

Wow, the curve on that PT sucks. -9?

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:23 pm

redrdstr wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:I knew it'd only be a matter of time before I was back in the club.

Wow, the curve on that PT sucks. -9?

Assume that's the 170 curve for September 2009.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:56 pm

I still don't fully understand the curves (and am always to see the make of the curves when I'm grading my tests -- it's impossible for me to ever guess if it's gonna be "steep" or not)...which is why I focus mostly on evaluating my raw scores. I want to make sure I can get a good score, no matter how the curve is designed on test day.

My goal is for at least a raw 95 on test day (1.5 wrong on each section) -- that way, I know my score will be solid no matter how it's curved.

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:42 pm

This is what I tried to do on my most recent PT (165, -10RC). I guess it doesn't work for everyone or it requires a lot more practice.

cpaige

Postby cpaige » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:20 pm

just took PT 24. it was a generous curve (-14), but i'm telling myself that the tougher curve just suggests a harder test. maybe? :)

if i hadn't made 2 stupid errors in LG, i would have gotten a 171, so i'm very hopeful that i can break into the 170s very soon.

RC: -5 (this has seriously been the hardest section to improve on ... i have gotten -5 every single time, without fail, since my diag)
LR1: -3
LR2: -5
LG: -2 (both stupid errors)

86/169.

this is my highest score to date, so i'm pretty happy, though i'm kicking myself for those two errors in LG that kept me out of the 170s. it'll happen some day, though.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:53 pm

forza wrote:Absolutely atrocious performance on PT 43 today, marred by careless reading mistakes and even a mis-marked answer. Granted, I got very little sleep last night and I did take 6 sections in this order:

1. LR -6 19/25
2. LR -2 23/25 (experimental from PT 7)
3. LR -4 22/26
4. LG -4 18/22
5. RC -5 23/28
6. RC -2 25/27 (added 6th section from PT 7)

It was kind of like torture having three LR sections in a row, so maybe that contributed to the low score. But you know what they say about excuses...

Raw: 82
LSAT: 165

Taking a day or two off from PTs. I'm getting so frustrated at this mid-160s plateau.

WOW - you did the 3 LR thing as well as a 6th section -- you are a beast! Totally brining the "forza" :)
Don't be discouraged. Take a day or two off or do some minimal reviewing and try another test with 4 sections or maybe one experimental, I'm sure your score will improve. It's probably a good idea to take one 4 section test and one 5/6 section test a week so that you can practice endurance but don't get too discouraged over the scores. Good luck

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:29 pm

I'm taking a PT tomorrow...for some reason I'm really nervous about it. I need to prove to myself that my performance on my last PT was due to my state of mind and nothing more.

cerebralspinach

Postby cerebralspinach » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:17 am

i've been getting 160s for the past three damn weeks! High of 165. As things are my PTs have been like broken record. I've been doing mostly older tests though, just ordered some new ones...

I got a 161 today, felt good after doing decently on LG (-3) with time to spare, but then completely blew it on LR.... TALK ABOUT REVERSALS in STRENGTH... I used to glide through LR and then bomb LG... I'm considering taking a couple days to make a real dent in my LR bible.

If this continues by September 3rd I think I may change my test date (called LSAC today, Sept.4th is the deadline to change the date to December). I guess I would apply for Fall 2012 LS entry since the December LSAT is cutting it pretty late.

Just started working with the bibles, so i hope they help me kick it up a notch. BAM!

good luck everyone!

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:21 pm

I just took a PT. I'm not sure which one but it had a comparative reading passage so it must be fairly recent.

LR 1: -2
LR 2: -5
LG: -7
RC: -3 (omitted one question that I circled correct in the test book)

Raw: -17
Scaled: 164

I'm a bit bummed about the -5 LR 2 and the omitted RC but i'm actually surprisingly pleased w/ LG. I suck at LG and only got to three games but did well on those three games.

I've been pretty consistent on LR and RC w/ my latest practice (although i'd like to get LR combined from the -7 range down to the -4 to -5 range consistently) so I think that if I master LG I can get my 170.

Anyone else w/ me?

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:55 pm

Slimpee wrote:I just took a PT. I'm not sure which one but it had a comparative reading passage so it must be fairly recent.

LR 1: -2
LR 2: -5
LG: -7
RC: -3 (omitted one question that I circled correct in the test book)

Raw: -17
Scaled: 164

I'm a bit bummed about the -5 LR 2 and the omitted RC but i'm actually surprisingly pleased w/ LG. I suck at LG and only got to three games but did well on those three games.

I've been pretty consistent on LR and RC w/ my latest practice (although i'd like to get LR combined from the -7 range down to the -4 to -5 range consistently) so I think that if I master LG I can get my 170.

Anyone else w/ me?

Good for you, man (or woman). If you can get a 164 with -7 LG, then that leaves a lot of room for your score to be easily increased to the 170's -- especially if you do well on the LG questions you get to. Keep drilling those logic games and you'll pick up speed.

schlizzle

Postby schlizzle » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:00 pm

Last edited by schlizzle on Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

lsb

Postby lsb » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:10 pm

Just got owned by PT 45 today. Anyone else have trouble with that one. I did particularly bad with the first LR and RC.

solotee

Postby solotee » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:24 pm

lsb wrote:Just got owned by PT 45 today. Anyone else have trouble with that one. I did particularly bad with the first LR and RC.

Results?? I'm taking that one on Monday

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”