The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

lawduder

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Postby lawduder » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:04 pm

Didn't take the full test because today is my in-between-test-day, but I got my first LR -0 on prep test 38 section 4! Either it was a fluke or I am starting to understand!!

forza

Postby forza » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:02 pm

I wish I could get a -0 in LR just once... a morale boost would be nice.

I always miss between 3-5.

regatsrj

Postby regatsrj » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:14 pm

I'll join! My first two PTs, with minimal prep, were 160 and 164, respectively. After mining what I got wrong on those, I got a 169 on my third PT. Just took my fourth PT but made some bonehead errors and am certain it'll be lower than 169. I am shooting for a 174.

redrdstr

Postby redrdstr » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:57 am

PT 31
LG: -3
LR1: -7
LR2: -3
RC: -7

Raw: 81 Scaled: 165

Still can't get any better than -10 combined LR.

Damn LG section on this PT was pretty difficult.

The RC passage on feminist view on the history of science was just dull and boring... there is absolutely no way to make that sound interesting.

solotee

Postby solotee » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:02 am

Random note, I've found that inserting your current GPA and 'projected' LSAT score in lawschoolnumbers.com is a good motivator before taking a PT. It helps put things into perspective and makes you realize, by comparing different applicants, what kind of difference just a few questions can make to your application cycle. Good luck studying today!

cpaige

Postby cpaige » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:33 am

redrdstr wrote:PT 31
LR1: -7
LR2: -3
RC: -7

Raw: 81 Scaled: 165

Still can't get any better than -10 combined LR.

Damn LG section on this PT was pretty difficult.

The RC passage on feminist view on the history of science was just dull and boring... there is absolutely no way to make that sound interesting.

that's a pretty generous curve. on my kaplan diagnostic, i got an 83/164. however, i did an LG section the other day off of PT 21 (i think) that allowed -14 for a 170! i hope that's the curve in sept ... i'd be golden.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:53 am

In the club, too. Took a few PTs last year before the June 2008 test: scored low- and mid-160s. Bombed actual test -- 157 -- after STUPIDLY taking it for granted. Now in the midst of preparing as hard possible for September. Recent Kaplan Diag was 160. Let's do this!!!!!!

georgetown.hopeful

Postby georgetown.hopeful » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:01 pm

Glad to see I'm in good company!

Took an LSAT practice through Kaplan (but it was an old version of the test) this spring and scored 163. I took it cold so I was pleasantly surprised, but knew I'd need more work. I lost the copy of the test so it's impossible to review, but I remember that my RC was almost perfect (will probably improve with familiarity), my LR was OK, but my LG was just bad.

Have been reading heavily/devising a strategy as of late for the September LSAT...and just want some feedback on my strategy.

-Bought PR 2010 book (I know, I know, mixed reviews but I've had good experience with them in the past for test prep)
-Am studying LR chapter, taking an older PT (from the first 10 real LSATs from LSAC) [is this older test a bad idea?]
-Reviewing PT
-Studying LG chapter, taking an older PT, lather-rinse-repeat
-Studying RC chapter, taking an older PT, reviewing

After this 2.5-3 week process, I plan on PT-ing myself with the newer tests...

Thoughts? (Crossing my fingers for Georgetown)

deek

Postby deek » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:48 pm

georgetown.hopeful wrote:Glad to see I'm in good company!

Took an LSAT practice through Kaplan (but it was an old version of the test) this spring and scored 163. I took it cold so I was pleasantly surprised, but knew I'd need more work. I lost the copy of the test so it's impossible to review, but I remember that my RC was almost perfect (will probably improve with familiarity), my LR was OK, but my LG was just bad.

Have been reading heavily/devising a strategy as of late for the September LSAT...and just want some feedback on my strategy.

-Bought PR 2010 book (I know, I know, mixed reviews but I've had good experience with them in the past for test prep)
-Am studying LR chapter, taking an older PT (from the first 10 real LSATs from LSAC) [is this older test a bad idea?]
-Reviewing PT
-Studying LG chapter, taking an older PT, lather-rinse-repeat
-Studying RC chapter, taking an older PT, reviewing

After this 2.5-3 week process, I plan on PT-ing myself with the newer tests...

Thoughts? (Crossing my fingers for Georgetown)

get the powerscore LG bible!

sckonkh

Postby sckonkh » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:16 pm

forza wrote:I wish I could get a -0 in LR just once... a morale boost would be nice.

I am in your boat. Jesus it pissed me off that I cannot break out of that mold

housie07

Postby housie07 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:47 pm

sckonkh wrote:
forza wrote:I wish I could get a -0 in LR just once... a morale boost would be nice.

I am in your boat. Jesus it pissed me off that I cannot break out of that mold

Same here...it usually goes that when my LG and RC are -0 or -1,, I miss 3-5 on LR, and when LG and RC are -2, I miss 2-4 on LR. Frustrating.

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:58 pm

woooooosh from 168 to 160 today, miserable!

solotee

Postby solotee » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:57 pm

PT 43

RC: -10 (guessed last passage)
LR: -4 (typical :I
LR2: -5

raw 79, scaled: 163

I knew I bombed RC. I didn't feel in the zone today and felt distracted because I forgot to set my analogue watch on a few sections.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:13 pm

PT 25 yallz.

Raw: 96 Scaled: 177
LG: -1
RC: -1
LR: -3

cunni1775

Postby cunni1775 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:23 pm

Tangerine, c'mon man.....

Outstanding.

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:01 am

PT41
LR: -4
LG: -2
LR: -2
RC: -10 (WTF?)

Raw 83
Scaled 165

Apparently I can't read :cry:

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:07 am

I did 53 (December 2007) last night .. it wasn't pretty.

LG: -4
LR: -5
RC: -8 (Ahhhh, I'm having flashbacks to 5th grade when I was so ashamed of being a slow reader and my mom would always say, "sweetie it doesn't matter how fast you go as long as you understand." -- LIES!!! I didn't get to the final passage, instant -5)

Raw: +79
Scaled: 162

My score is going the wrong way :(

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:49 am

missvik218 wrote:I did 53 (December 2007) last night .. it wasn't pretty.

RC: -8 (Ahhhh, I'm having flashbacks to 5th grade when I was so ashamed of being a slow reader and my mom would always say, "sweetie it doesn't matter how fast you go as long as you understand." -- LIES!!! I didn't get to the final passage, instant -5)

Try some of the things I mentioned here:
a) read the passage in under 4 minutes
b) mark the main pt
c) write "1" and "2" and "3" next to anything that lists reasons, explanations etc (usually these are listed as "first"..."second".. but not always)
d) make sure you get the main pt question correct (if theres one its usually the first)
e) write a note on the authors tone in the blank space near the passage.. mark a word if it clearly reveals the tone.. remember the PCness of LSAC
f) underline anytime another author/scientist etc is mentioned or when a person is mentioned as an example..
ex: Mary Bary was a woman in the 19th century who wrote memoirs about bla bla..
g) If you are running out of time..read the first and last paragraph and the first and last sentence of all other paragraphs and try to do the quesitons (not sure how well this works since I don't have much experience with running out of time on this.)

Also, you may be able to read faster but still comprehend as much. Just pick an RC section and try some speed reading. Read the passage in one minute, then 2 then 3. The first time when you try to "Read" it in one minute.. just look at every word but don't read it like "Also..you..may.. be" don't try to comprehend just look at all the words.. your brain will pick up more than you think.
(After you have read it the 3rd time -- which would be in 3 mins..do the questions)

Then read the next passage at the 3 minute speed but make sure you read "actively" (make sure you catch the main pt/take the time to underline)

Let me know if this helps!!

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:56 am

JJDancer wrote:Try some of the things I mentioned here:
b) mark the main pt
c) write "1" and "2" and "3" next to anything that lists reasons, explanations etc (usually these are listed as "first"..."second".. but not always)
d) make sure you get the main pt question correct (if theres one its usually the first)
e) write a note on the authors tone in the blank space near the passage.. mark a word if it clearly reveals the tone.. remember the PCness of LSAC
f) underline anytime another author/scientist etc is mentioned or when a person is mentioned as an example..
g) If you are running out of time..read the first and last paragraph and the first and last sentence of all other paragraphs and try to do the quesitons (not sure how well this works since I don't have much experience with running out of time on this.)

Also, you may be able to read faster but still comprehend as much. Just pick an RC section and try some speed reading. Read the passage in one minute, then 2 then 3. The first time when you try to "Read" it in one minute.. just look at every word but don't read it like "Also..you..may.. be" don't try to comprehend just look at all the words.. your brain will pick up more than you think.
(After you have read it the 3rd time -- which would be in 3 mins..do the questions)

Then read the next passage at the 3 minute speed but make sure you read "actively" (make sure you catch the main pt/take the time to underline)

Thank you, I'm planning on doing timed sections and review of my test today and tomorrow so I will try this out. I'll be back to the real deal on Saturday AM, I'll let you know how it goes ... let's hope I can manage to at least finish the section!

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:35 pm

JJDancer wrote:

b) mark the main pt

I think JJDancer's advice here is fantastic. The more I think about RC sections -- and, really, the test in general -- the more it becomes clear to me that the test will ultimately reward us for having faith in ourselves. I think the tendency to over-read passages, over-do diagramming, and over-think answers amounts to a lack of such faith, which prevents people (myself included) from whipping through and conquering the test. JJDancer's advice re: RC sections, I think, makes clear how we can cultivate the kinds of habits of (confident) thinking that will lead to success on the test. And as long as I'm in the Matt Foley - R.i.P Chris Farley -- motivational speech mode, let me add some favorite aphorisms of legendary UCLA basketball coach, John Wooden, that sum up the reasons why we should all (more or less) heed JJDancer's advice:

"Act quickly, but don't hurry." "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." "Success is peace of mind that is the direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming." -- John Wooden

O.K. Enough of that. Back to work.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:53 pm

tamlyric wrote:
JJDancer wrote:

b) mark the main pt

I think JJDancer's advice here is fantastic. The more I think about RC sections -- and, really, the test in general -- the more it becomes clear to me that the test will ultimately reward us for having faith in ourselves. I think the tendency to over-read passages, over-do diagramming, and over-think answers amounts to a lack of such faith, which prevents people (myself included) from whipping through and conquering the test. JJDancer's advice re: RC sections, I think, makes clear how we can cultivate the kinds of habits of (confident) thinking that will lead to success on the test. And as long as I'm in the Matt Foley - R.i.P Chris Farley -- motivational speech mode, let me add some favorite aphorisms of legendary UCLA basketball coach, John Wooden, that sum up the reasons why we should all (more or less) heed JJDancer's advice:

"Act quickly, but don't hurry." "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." "Success is peace of mind that is the direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming." -- John Wooden

O.K. Enough of that. Back to work.

Haha thanks. I'm all gushy inside and inspired to actually get off TLS and do some LSAT :)

James P. Albini

Postby James P. Albini » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:19 pm

i'll join. i was scoring 167-169 going into june, didn't really have a problem with any of the sections, but i got nervous and ended up cancelling my score a few days after.

for now i'm just reading a lot and doing as many LG's as possible. i'm going to start taking timed pt's again in a week or so.

good luck, guys.

housie07

Postby housie07 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:26 pm

Broke 170 for the first time yesterday! It was great after getting 169 three times in a row.

forza

Postby forza » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:31 pm

housie07 wrote:Broke 170 for the first time yesterday! It was great after getting 169 three times in a row.

Congratulations! I wish I could say the same!

cpaige

Postby cpaige » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:08 pm

forza wrote:
housie07 wrote:Broke 170 for the first time yesterday! It was great after getting 169 three times in a row.

Congratulations! I wish I could say the same!

congrats! i hope to be able to say the same very soon :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”