The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lawduder

Bronze

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Post by lawduder » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:26 pm

Bustang wrote:Do a large majority of ya'll read the question stimulus before the actual stimulus when you do LR's? The LRB says not to do this, but I've been doing it for quite sometime now. Tomorrow I'll do one section the way I've been doing it and then I'll try their method.
I read the question stem first. I went through the LRB and they do have some compelling reasons for reading the stimulus first, manly that you will waste time reading the questions twice, before and after the stimulus. However, I find that this does not apply in my situation because I read the stem only once, then read the stimulus, then answer.

brose002

Bronze

Post by brose002 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:05 pm

missvik218 wrote:
brose002 wrote: Any advice to speeding up RC?
This was what I got when I asked a similar question ... see if it helps!
JJDancer wrote: Try some of the things I mentioned here:
a) read the passage in under 4 minutes
b) mark the main pt
c) write "1" and "2" and "3" next to anything that lists reasons, explanations etc (usually these are listed as "first"..."second".. but not always)
d) make sure you get the main pt question correct (if theres one its usually the first)
e) write a note on the authors tone in the blank space near the passage.. mark a word if it clearly reveals the tone.. remember the PCness of LSAC
f) underline anytime another author/scientist etc is mentioned or when a person is mentioned as an example..
ex: Mary Bary was a woman in the 19th century who wrote memoirs about bla bla..
g) If you are running out of time..read the first and last paragraph and the first and last sentence of all other paragraphs and try to do the quesitons (not sure how well this works since I don't have much experience with running out of time on this.)

Also, you may be able to read faster but still comprehend as much. Just pick an RC section and try some speed reading. Read the passage in one minute, then 2 then 3. The first time when you try to "Read" it in one minute.. just look at every word but don't read it like "Also..you..may.. be" don't try to comprehend just look at all the words.. your brain will pick up more than you think.
(After you have read it the 3rd time -- which would be in 3 mins..do the questions)

Then read the next passage at the 3 minute speed but make sure you read "actively" (make sure you catch the main pt/take the time to underline)

Let me know if this helps!!
Thanks, the speed reading advice sounds very interesting. I think Im going to do a RC supplemental section later and see how that goes. In response to the person who asked about reading the question stem first, I actually read the question first because I find it helpful in figuring out what I should be looking for in the stimulus. Oh and I also took another PT today. Scored a 170 but it was an easy curve. The raw score was 87

LR1:-4
LG:-2( I have had a very off day with these)
RC:-4(Once again timing)
LR2:-4

Even though it was a 170, it feels tainted due to such an easy curve. Although I am happy to say that I finally hit 170.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:52 pm

There is probably 1 or 2 times during a test when I read the question stem first in LR.
Otherwise I read the stimulus first.
Makes it easier for me to think about the stimulus.
The only time I read the question first is if I attempt the stimulus and it seems confusing or if the stem is just a few words (i can clearly see just one line of writing not the usual 2-3 lines for the q. stem)

Everyone is different though and if you can easily hit 160/165/170 doing it the other way then more power to you!

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:36 pm

JJDancer wrote:There is probably 1 or 2 times during a test when I read the question stem first in LR.
Otherwise I read the stimulus first.
Makes it easier for me to think about the stimulus.
The only time I read the question first is if I attempt the stimulus and it seems confusing or if the stem is just a few words (i can clearly see just one line of writing not the usual 2-3 lines for the q. stem)

Everyone is different though and if you can easily hit 160/165/170 doing it the other way then more power to you!
Yea, I definitely read the question stem first. It helps to alleviate any anxiety I might have wondering what type of question I'm dealing with. Usually I can get away by reading it one time.

georgetown.hopeful

New

Post by georgetown.hopeful » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:18 am

After finishing reading through/practicing in the sections of the LR Bible that have given me the most problems in the past, should I practice individual sections from old practice tests or do a complete, timed test?

I worry about wasting my materials doing just sections, but I don't want to shoot for accuracy and speed at the same time and be completely discouraged...

Also I haven't put in any work yet on LG or RC, so I don't know if I want to test those sections just yet.

Thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:20 am

georgetown.hopeful wrote:After finishing reading through/practicing in the sections of the LR Bible that have given me the most problems in the past, should I practice individual sections from old practice tests or do a complete, timed test?

I worry about wasting my materials doing just sections, but I don't want to shoot for accuracy and speed at the same time and be completely discouraged...

Also I haven't put in any work yet on LG or RC, so I don't know if I want to test those sections just yet.

Thoughts?
You can use sections of tests you know you won't have time to do before your real test, or you can set a couple of tests aside to do strictly untimed to get a feel for the material. I used a combination of both before hitting timed PTs.

georgetown.hopeful

New

Post by georgetown.hopeful » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:11 pm

lawduder wrote:
georgetown.hopeful wrote:After finishing reading through/practicing in the sections of the LR Bible that have given me the most problems in the past, should I practice individual sections from old practice tests or do a complete, timed test?

Thoughts?
You can use sections of tests you know you won't have time to do before your real test, or you can set a couple of tests aside to do strictly untimed to get a feel for the material. I used a combination of both before hitting timed PTs.
You raise a point I hadn't thought of-- and since I have obtained roughly 20 PTs already, I don't think I will have time to take them all, timed, before 9/26... (eek)

Now I plan on using two sections from an early test to see if I'll pick up any LR points. Thanks!

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:54 pm

June tests must be cursed for me. Prep test 43, 161. I'll leave it at that.

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:19 pm

Bustang wrote:June tests must be cursed for me. Prep test 43, 161. I'll leave it at that.
I thought PT43 had some really hard LR, harder than I had seen on any previous tests.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:36 pm

solotee wrote:Any experienced 170'ers that pulled themselves out of the 160's hole are more than welcome to chip in!
I scored 162 when I took the Dec05 test, then 172 in Jun09. So it's definitely possible to bump your score 10-ish points.

I took about 45 PTs or so, which I think really helped. I'm retaking in September, trying to stay well above the 75th for every school I'm applying to.

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:53 pm

Am I the only one to experience these crazy PT score fluctuations?

PT 36: 165
PT 37: 159
PT 38: 164
PT 43: 163
PT 44: 158
PT 45: 167
PT 47: 158 :? (today)

It seems like every PT that I do good on is followed by a train wreck of a score. It's not because of burnout, I'm only taking two PT's a week. What the flip is going on?

EmVan

New

Post by EmVan » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:01 pm

Here's mine:

PrepTest 39: 164 (78)
PrepTest 40: 162 (80)
SuperPrep A: 164 (84)
SuperPrep B: 175 (92)
SuperPrep C: 173 (90)

39 and 40 were before most of my studying. The SuperPreps came after. SuperPrep A was the first test I did with 5 sections, fully timed and with distractions. Tried to concentrate more for the next 2 (but ran out of time on test C for LG, which is usually my best section). I hear the SuperPrep tests are easier though, so we'll see what my next few hold :?

Cheers,

lsb

Bronze

Post by lsb » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:52 pm

solotee wrote:Am I the only one to experience these crazy PT score fluctuations?

It seems like every PT that I do good on is followed by a train wreck of a score. It's not because of burnout, I'm only taking two PT's a week. What the flip is going on?
You decided to skip 46? I took it yesterday, and I while I felt great throughout, I didn't score as high as I expected. I guess this could be partially explained by the curve (-9).

I want to go back to previous tests where the some curves were -14.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lsb

Bronze

Post by lsb » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:56 pm

I've heard numerous times on TLS that LR hasn't necessarily gotten harder, just different. I have found, however, that my newer LR scores are much lower than older ones. Anyone else have the same issue? Maybe I just need to get used to the newer ones? It almost seems like there are more trick answers that appear to be clearly correct but are actually wrong.

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:11 pm

solotee wrote:Am I the only one to experience these crazy PT score fluctuations?

I'm here with you... 168, 159, 165, 161 :?

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:16 pm

lsb wrote:I've heard numerous times on TLS that LR hasn't necessarily gotten harder, just different. I have found, however, that my newer LR scores are much lower than older ones. Anyone else have the same issue? Maybe I just need to get used to the newer ones? It almost seems like there are more trick answers that appear to be clearly correct but are actually wrong.
I'm the opposite - old LR I do worse, new LR seems pretty straight forward

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:29 pm

lsb wrote:
You decided to skip 46? I took it yesterday, and I while I felt great throughout, I didn't score as high as I expected. I guess this could be partially explained by the curve (-9).

I want to go back to previous tests where the some curves were -14.
Yea I skipped PT 46. I want to make sure that I get to PT 57 4 days before the actual exam. PT 46 is my back-up just in case I need an extra PT.
lsb wrote:I've heard numerous times on TLS that LR hasn't necessarily gotten harder, just different. I have found, however, that my newer LR scores are much lower than older ones. Anyone else have the same issue? Maybe I just need to get used to the newer ones? It almost seems like there are more trick answers that appear to be clearly correct but are actually wrong.
Exactly my case. I think I just need to familiarize myself w/ the new LR. I used to consistently get -4,-5 on LR. Today I got -8,-9 on LR1 and 2. Ehh, I'm really looking forward to getting this September test out of the way. Tired of subjecting my mood to the score I get on a PT.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:31 pm

lawduder wrote:
Bustang wrote:June tests must be cursed for me. Prep test 43, 161. I'll leave it at that.
I thought PT43 had some really hard LR, harder than I had seen on any previous tests.
RC is what did it for me. I only got through 3 of the passages. I'll review it tonight when I'm not so angry. -4/-5 on LR1 and 2 and -1 on games. These stupid mistakes need to stop as I can see the coveted 167+ in sight.

edit: i'm going to start forcing myself to do a RC before I go to bed every night. I'll continue to do this until I hate myself a little bit less (read: get a RC score like I did on PT 34). Does anyone think I should do another PT tomorrow or should I just do my planned 1 on Sat and 1 on Sun?
Last edited by Bustang on Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:33 pm

lawduder wrote:

What do you think these fluctuations can be attributed to? Do you think it's burnout? Overconfidence after doing good on a recent test? I was really on my game when I did PT 45 and got a 167. Today I barely finished both the LR sections and had trouble thinking clearly. I really want to get more consistent scores by the time September roles around...ehh

MixedGirl2009

New

Post by MixedGirl2009 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:37 pm

Thanks for the tip brose (hope I got your SN correct). RC bothers me because after missing 4-6 per section I look over it and realize that if I would have just looked at a different part of the passage I might have gotten it right but under the pressure I don't seem to see the passage in its entirety.

A new strategy I am planning to try out is using a thin highlighter to mark the passage as I read, by the way, are pens allowed on the exam? I have never looked into this but help me to use a colored pen during RC.

Lastly, a goal I have made for myself is to finish all sections in 30 minutes, not in 35. That way I will have some leeway in case I get anxious on test day and lose my head for a couple of minutes like I did on the real lsat I took! With LR I ALWAYS ensure I finish the first 10 questions in 10 minutes since they are usually easier than the rest and I can therefore spend more time elsewhere. Also, I have been circling most PR questions and coming back to them towards the end since they are so time-consuming.

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:42 pm

solotee wrote:
lawduder wrote:

What do you think these fluctuations can be attributed to? Do you think it's burnout? Overconfidence after doing good on a recent test? I was really on my game when I did PT 45 and got a 167. Today I barely finished both the LR sections and had trouble thinking clearly. I really want to get more consistent scores by the time September roles around...ehh
I definitely think it's all about being in "the zone" when attacking PTs. My confidence level during the test when I score 165+ is noticeably different than when I bomb them. I think the important thing to take away is that you do have the ability to score well and keep on going. I sit down and review a lot more when I score poorly than when I'm floating close to 170 which may be a reason why scores tend to go down after a good test. We've got a little over a month left though and for me that means practice, practice, practice!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MixedGirl2009

New

Post by MixedGirl2009 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:30 pm

lawduder wrote:
solotee wrote:
lawduder wrote:

I definitely think it's all about being in "the zone" when attacking PTs. My confidence level during the test when I score 165+ is noticeably different than when I bomb them. I think the important thing to take away is that you do have the ability to score well and keep on going. I sit down and review a lot more when I score poorly than when I'm floating close to 170 which may be a reason why scores tend to go down after a good test. We've got a little over a month left though and for me that means practice, practice, practice!
I couldn't agree with you more, if you are even slightly burnt out or having a bad day, take control of your mood fast before taking a PT or you can expect a low score. Working on the psychological part of the test is just as important if not even more than just knowing how to do the problems.

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:55 am

Yesterday, I bombed a PT. Today, upon review, the correct answers seem to just pop out at me. I'm sitting here thinking how I could have missed those questions. I'm guessing that the time-pressure made me stumble on those questions. Now I just have to figure out a way to incorporate my 'review' mentality when taking a PT so that the time-pressure doesn't mess me up again.

servinDizzert

New

Post by servinDizzert » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:06 am

Little bit of the hindsight bias...I do the same thing

brose002

Bronze

Post by brose002 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:07 pm

solotee wrote:Yesterday, I bombed a PT. Today, upon review, the correct answers seem to just pop out at me. I'm sitting here thinking how I could have missed those questions. I'm guessing that the time-pressure made me stumble on those questions. Now I just have to figure out a way to incorporate my 'review' mentality when taking a PT so that the time-pressure doesn't mess me up again.
I have the same problem, but I noticed as I take more tests that the stupid mistakes are starting to dwindle. Just keep on taking more tests, and you will notice the stupid mistakes filter out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”