The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:52 pm

missvik218 wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:
Damn, I have gotten 170+ three times in a row. Does this mean I've lost my club membership? :shock:
I think we'll keep you until you've scored 170 on a test that counts ... until then you're still technically a 16?! :wink:
By that logic, I guess I never belonged in the club to begin with -- I haven't taken any real tests. :shock:

Does anyone else wish the LSAT was a hell of a lot sooner? I'm glad I still have time to study but I wish it wasn't 7+ weeks away.

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:59 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:
Damn, I have gotten 170+ three times in a row. Does this mean I've lost my club membership? :shock:
I think we'll keep you until you've scored 170 on a test that counts ... until then you're still technically a 16?! :wink:
By that logic, I guess I never belonged in the club to begin with -- I haven't taken any real tests. :shock:

Does anyone else wish the LSAT was a hell of a lot sooner? I'm glad I still have time to study but I wish it wasn't 7+ weeks away.
no!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:59 pm

I definitely belong in this club! I did very little studying before the June LSAT (a few prep tests, but no books or courses or anything) and I got a 162.

I'm taking a Kaplan test in the fall and my target is a 170. I know 8 points is a lot, but I took the June LSAT practically cold and I usually only miss 2-3 in RC and LR. If I can get my LG section down, I think I can rock it in Sept. Is that too optimistic?

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:12 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:

There's a side of me that wishes I could go ahead and get it over with, but I still need to work on my timing so I'm glad it's still a few weeks away.

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:19 pm

Alright I'm back in the game. After my last dissapointing 159, I decided to take 4 days completely off. Today I hit a 164 on PT 38, making a few careless mistakes. Looking forward to completing 19 more PT's!!

And yes, a part of me is happy this is almost over with, another part is relieved that I still have some time to touch up on some things!

Good luck guys

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:20 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:PT 48 today at Kaplan

Raw: 95 Scaled: 172 (brutal curve! -10 = 168)
RC: -3
LG: -1 (careless error bullshit!)
LR: -2
Total: -6

Awesome! No stay in touch. Hopefully we get a few more 170'ers these next few weeks.

cpaige

New

Post by cpaige » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:39 pm

solotee wrote:Yes! Finally a home!

I think we can collectively pull through by posting any breakthroughs, suggestions and commenting on recent progress. Any experienced 170'ers that pulled themselves out of the 160's hole are more than welcome to chip in!

PT B (today)

LG: -12 (worst ever, it came out of nowhere :cry:)
LR1: -4 (ran out of time on 1 problem)
LR2: -3
RC: -4 (from -9 diagnostics, thnx TLS!!)

Raw: 78 Scaled: 163
Please post your current progress!

September 26th, 2009: 171

Let's do this guys
re your LG score: don't worry about it; the same thing happened to me. i was consistently scoring between -2 and -4 and then, out of nowhere, a -11 came and kicked my score's ass. i'm actually scoring remarkably similarly to you on the other sections, as well. it's frustrating because we understand the material, but aren't going to be able to crack a 170 without breaking into a consistent -1/-2 trend.

perseverance, everyone! never give up!

think of it this way: WHEN we get to the 170s, it'll be that much sweeter for having sweat through the mid-160s. i don't know about you all, but i'm not about to let the T14 slip through my fingers because of a couple stupid LR questions.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:58 pm

romothesavior wrote:I definitely belong in this club! I did very little studying before the June LSAT (a few prep tests, but no books or courses or anything) and I got a 162.

I'm taking a Kaplan test in the fall and my target is a 170. I know 8 points is a lot, but I took the June LSAT practically cold and I usually only miss 2-3 in RC and LR. If I can get my LG section down, I think I can rock it in Sept. Is that too optimistic?
Too optimistic? Hell to the no. As lots of people say, if you can get a 160+ with little prep, then you have a solid enough understanding to get into the 170's -- or, hell, a 180. I got a 163 on my diagnostic 3 or 4 weeks ago and am already averaging 170+ on my PT's. Study every day and you will definitely get those 8 points. But don't limit yourself to that -- say you want a 175+ and go for it! That way, even if you have a "bad day" you could still do really well.

I really think that anyone who can regularly get 160's can get 170's with perseverance, no question. Go for it!

cpaige

New

Post by cpaige » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:28 pm

i likely would've given up my membership in this club tonight, if it weren't for an abnormally low LR performance ....

LG: -1
LR1: -11 (wtf???)
LR2: -5 (much more typical)

82/165

89 = 170. talk about frustrating. but i will continue to persevere, as should you all!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Headybrah

Bronze

Post by Headybrah » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:32 pm

what test you take?

ChiCity22

New

Post by ChiCity22 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:40 pm

Took PT 33 yesterday hoping to land my first 170 and ended up with a heartbreaking 164 did alright on every section but somehow managed a -10 on LR II, most likely due to fatigue and lack of concentration.

cpaige

New

Post by cpaige » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:16 pm

looks like LR is unexpectedly kicking (some of) our asses. to the above poster: i took PT 20, which was so kind to me, with the exception of that one section.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:04 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:

Oh, huh .. Well in that case we'll keep you as a success story and source of hope!

And NO WAY, I need every one of those weeks to study!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

misslawyer2013

New

Post by misslawyer2013 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:13 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:PT 48 today at Kaplan

Raw: 95 Scaled: 172 (brutal curve! -10 = 168)
LG: -1 (careless error bullshit!)
LR: -2
Total: -6

I broke 170 again also...

PT 51 Raw: 93 Scaled: 173
LR -3
RC -3
LR -1
LG -0!!!!! ( my first -0 in logic games EVERRRR)

BUT THE 160+ club has my heart.

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:18 am

To all those breaking into the 170's, please oh please shimmer us with some advice, help us see the light!!

philip.platt

New

Post by philip.platt » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:35 am

cunni1775 wrote:P.S. you know you are consumed with all things LSAT when you are posting on TLS at 12 AM on a Tuesday!
or when the thread goes to 4 pages pretty quickly :)

motivating

cpaige

New

Post by cpaige » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:26 pm

work is so slow today ... all i want to do is LSAT prep (desperate to break that 170 wall), but it's hard to do it inconspicuously. arghhhh, i'm jealous of all of you college kids who can study to your heart's content.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:34 pm

JJDancer wrote:
JJDancer wrote:I got a 168 on my first PT cold.
Got anywhere between 161-166 on a few tests after that
On my two most recent tests I got a 169 and 168.
Hoping to get a 171 on my next PT within a week!

Hoping for 175+ in Sept.
Got a 172 today on PT 16 - September 1995
Although this one had a massive curve .. -14 = 170

Lets see if I can repeat the performance on Saturday (Oct 2001)
Took some time reviewing LR (still need to work on that) and worked through LGB (AMAZING)
and hit 173 today on Oct 2001.

Ran out of time on games but with 4 more minutes I would have gotten them all correct - very exciting!
And no I don't wish it was sooner.
I need to work on LR, timing, and hybrid games.

teaadntoast

Bronze

Post by teaadntoast » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:38 pm

cpaige wrote:work is so slow today ... all i want to do is LSAT prep (desperate to break that 170 wall), but it's hard to do it inconspicuously. arghhhh, i'm jealous of all of you college kids who can study to your heart's content.
+ elevendy billion

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:41 pm

teaadntoast wrote:
cpaige wrote:work is so slow today ... all i want to do is LSAT prep (desperate to break that 170 wall), but it's hard to do it inconspicuously. arghhhh, i'm jealous of all of you college kids who can study to your heart's content.
+ elevendy billion
elevendy billion and one.

I have class tonight so maybe that'll satisfy my LSAT fix...

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:44 pm

solotee wrote:To all those breaking into the 170's, please oh please shimmer us with some advice, help us see the light!!
RC is not my problem section so I can't offer too much advice on how to improve on it besides
a) read the passage in under 4 minutes
b) mark the main pt
c) write "1" and "2" and "3" next to anything that lists reasons, explanations etc (usually these are listed as "first"..."second".. but not always)
d) make sure you get the main pt question correct (if theres one its usually the first)
e) write a note on the authors tone in the blank space near the passage.. mark a word if it clearly reveals the tone.. remember the PCness of LSAC
f) underline anytime another author/scientist etc is mentioned or when a person is mentioned as an example..
ex: Mary Bary was a woman in the 19th century who wrote memoirs about bla bla..
g) If you are running out of time..read the first and last paragraph and the first and last sentence of all other paragraphs and try to do the quesitons (not sure how well this works since I don't have much experience with running out of time on this.)

LR:
a) spot your weaknesses..take a PT and see what you miss/take time on (could be except questions etc)
b) try to read through all choices to make sure you pick the best one

LG:
a) work the bible or any pscore/tmasters etc material you have
master linear games then advanced linear
then grouping advanced grouping
and hybrid
expose yourself to as many games as possible
try to maximize initial deductions (although I am not great at this yet.. after practicing I was able to do a section in which I knew exactly how to approach each question even if I didn't know a whole lot about the game initially)
b) learn how to do conditionals..the day before/two days in between thing and other tricks

General advice:
Go through the bibles and spend some time doing practice sections timed and untimed to spot what you need to work on.
work on those areas for 5 days (alternating each day or w.e you like)
then do a PT timed.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Doxide

New

Post by Doxide » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:46 pm

Took PT 18 the other day. Didn't do as well as I hoped, but not as badly as I feared either.

LR1: -5 (This is typical. LR is definitely my worst section in terms of showing any noticeable imporvements.)
LR2: -3 (A rare fluke with some lucky guesses.)
LG: -8 (Spent a bit too much time on game 3 and when game 4 came around, it was one hell of a grouping game. ended up guessing on most of it.)
RC: -1 (Oh yeah baby! Rocked this section! For some reason RC just comes naturally to me. Whereas sections like LR give me hell.)

Ended up with a 164 from a generous curve. Does anyone know if the older tests are about the same difficulty as the newer ones? I'll keep hammering away at LG. I gotta stop letting these hard games throw me. They're the biggest score sinker for me. If I can consistently score -0 to -2 on games, 170 will definitely be in my grasp!

cpaige

New

Post by cpaige » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:50 pm

Doxide wrote:Took PT 18 the other day. Didn't do as well as I hoped, but not as badly as I feared either.

LR1: -5 (This is typical. LR is definitely my worst section in terms of showing any noticeable imporvements.)
LR2: -3 (A rare fluke with some lucky guesses.)
LG: -8 (Spent a bit too much time on game 3 and when game 4 came around, it was one hell of a grouping game. ended up guessing on most of it.)
RC: -1 (Oh yeah baby! Rocked this section! For some reason RC just comes naturally to me. Whereas sections like LR give me hell.)

Ended up with a 164 from a generous curve. Does anyone know if the older tests are about the same difficulty as the newer ones? I'll keep hammering away at LG. I gotta stop letting these hard games throw me. They're the biggest score sinker for me. If I can consistently score -0 to -2 on games, 170 will definitely be in my grasp!
i'm in a -4/-5 LR rut as well. it's the most frustrating section to try to improve on ....

philip.platt

New

Post by philip.platt » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:02 pm

teaadntoast wrote:
+ elevendy billion
i'm a working fool as well

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:04 pm

It's so frustrating!

Highest PT was 167. Worst section is LG so I'm working through the LG bible. I feel like my LR is getting worse, though, which is terrible because that's always been my strength.

Goal in September: 172!!

Please post when you do get that elusive 170 - give us some hope that people survive out there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”