The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
missvik218

Silver

Re: The 160s Club! Join all ye 170 hopefuls!

Post by missvik218 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:22 pm

forza wrote:Holy crap. I busted the 170 mark for the first time yesterday in a big way.

PT 23

LG: -2 (22/24)
LR1: -6 (20/26); ew...
LR2: -3 (22/25)
RC: -0 (26/26); first -0 on any section, ever. Sick.

Raw: 90
Scaled: 175

Are you kidding me? Okay, this scale is very forgiving (-16 gives you a 170), but wow. Talk about a morale booster!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but on pretty much any scale, won't a raw score of 90 yield a badass score? At least a 169 or 170?

I'm happy. :D
:lol: That's how I felt with my first 170+ CONGRATS!! You're right, with more recent scales +90 is going to be a 169 or (usually) 170, but it's still quite the accomplishment, good job!

Raskolnikoff

Bronze

Post by Raskolnikoff » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:27 pm

lawduder wrote:I find reviewing my most recent PT (looking over the notes I wrote in the actual test margins for both right and wrong answers) helps me get my head into thinking logically. This also helps me avoid taking a section, doing poorly, then freaking out like you guys have mentioned.
Not a bad idea. Any particular section that you do?

I heard advice of doing an LG that you are familiar with and possibly remember the solution to get your confidence up and to get you into the LSAT mindset.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:30 pm

missvik218 wrote:Well, maybe like 1/2 joking. My only reservation about this would be; what if I had a really crappy early morning session?! The last thing I want is to have my confidence shaken immediately before heading to the test center!
Someone else suggested reviewing an old PT but I'm a slackerish reviewer so I think I will just re-do the first 10 LR qs and 1 LG game from any recent PT I have taken.

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:32 pm

PT 53 w/ LR from PT 5, I think, as experimental

LR 1: -2
LG: -6
LR (exp): -1
LR 2: -3 (omitted 1 problem, which I circled correct in the book)
RC: -5 (omitted 1 problem because i'm a moron and didn't do it)

Raw: -16
Scaled: 166

I'm pleased with this score for the most part but i'm bummed at the -5 in RC, especially omitting a problem. I didn't think the passages were particularly difficult but the questions, overall, were harder. I missed 3 on the natural sciences passage (one was the omitted) which frustrates me because I usually do pretty well on those.

I'm very pleased w/ my LR. To miss only 5 across three sections (including the exp) is really good for me especially considering I thought the first LR was pretty tough. I thought I was definitely in the -5 range on just that one section...

LG went well except I only got through 3 games as usual (I went -1 on the three games I did and -4 on the I didn't get to). I just am not getting faster! I need to practice, practice, practice LG!

Good luck over the next month, everyone!

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:45 pm

Raskolnikoff wrote:
lawduder wrote:I find reviewing my most recent PT (looking over the notes I wrote in the actual test margins for both right and wrong answers) helps me get my head into thinking logically. This also helps me avoid taking a section, doing poorly, then freaking out like you guys have mentioned.
Not a bad idea. Any particular section that you do?

I heard advice of doing an LG that you are familiar with and possibly remember the solution to get your confidence up and to get you into the LSAT mindset.
I usually just go through one of the LR sections that I did. With my notes, I see how much better I can do without silly mistakes such as missing the world "all," as well as getting those "aha!" moments with trap answers that caught me before. The notes are all there, so there's no real tedious thinking going on, it just gets my mind working. I also usually do one untimed LG that I haven't done before, or one that I haven't done in a while, to get me in the mindset of reading rules and understanding EXACTLY what they say because at this point, the only reason I miss questions in LG is because I read a rule backwards or forget about it. All together my pre-test warm up takes about 20 minutes and I find that it helps a lot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 pm

lawduder wrote: I usually just go through one of the LR sections that I did. With my notes, I see how much better I can do without silly mistakes such as missing the world "all," as well as getting those "aha!" moments with trap answers that caught me before. The notes are all there, so there's no real tedious thinking going on, it just gets my mind working. I also usually do one untimed LG that I haven't done before, or one that I haven't done in a while, to get me in the mindset of reading rules and understanding EXACTLY what they say because at this point, the only reason I miss questions in LG is because I read a rule backwards or forget about it. All together my pre-test warm up takes about 20 minutes and I find that it helps a lot.
Ahh, so you do this prior to every practice test you take?! Good idea! I'm trying it tomorrow!

theplacesyoullgo

New

Post by theplacesyoullgo » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:03 pm

Hah, didn't mean to freak anyone out with the 2 tests/day thing. Who knows if I'll actually stick to it, and like I said, I'm really only plan to do this until classes start.
lawduder wrote:A thorough review usually takes me 2-2.5 hrs on top of a prep test that takes another 2.5 hours. Personally I'd probably have a meltdown if I looked at LSAT for 10 hours a day.
Personally, I've pretty much maxed out the RC/LR (I tend to score -4 or -5 between the three sections), so I figure that if that holds steady on test day, I'm fine (and if I luck out, even better). I'm shooting for 171 at lowest (not shooting for HYS), so that allows me to not be entirely perfect. I'll quickly review the RC/LR which I got wrong, but I don't review the entire sections.

Then, I redo the games where I got more than one incorrect (which usually ends up to be 3 of them at this point, hah).

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:02 pm

missvik218 wrote:
lawduder wrote: I usually just go through one of the LR sections that I did. With my notes, I see how much better I can do without silly mistakes such as missing the world "all," as well as getting those "aha!" moments with trap answers that caught me before. The notes are all there, so there's no real tedious thinking going on, it just gets my mind working. I also usually do one untimed LG that I haven't done before, or one that I haven't done in a while, to get me in the mindset of reading rules and understanding EXACTLY what they say because at this point, the only reason I miss questions in LG is because I read a rule backwards or forget about it. All together my pre-test warm up takes about 20 minutes and I find that it helps a lot.
Ahh, so you do this prior to every practice test you take?! Good idea! I'm trying it tomorrow!
I think ill try this tomorrow as well when i do my PT. I did some practice LR sections this morning and my first one (an hour after i woke up) was a woeful -7. Full of mistakes and second guessing. I was so pissed i went and did another LR section and finished with a personal best -3! My brain definitely needs some warm up time.

rbhesser

New

Post by rbhesser » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:32 pm

I try to do a sudoku or some other kind of logic puzzle to "warm-up" my brain before studying and especially before taking a test. It gets my mind going pretty well. I thought about doing an LG section but if I struggle (even just a little bit) it throws me off and is more of a hindrance than help. I really do recommend doing some non-LSAT logic puzzles. It's good to get your mind used to doing lots of different things.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

buddyblack

New

Post by buddyblack » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:28 pm

missvik218 wrote:Well, maybe like 1/2 joking. My only reservation about this would be; what if I had a really crappy early morning session?! The last thing I want is to have my confidence shaken immediately before heading to the test center!
I've never tried reviewing old material before a PT (though I will tomorrow) but as a retaker I can tell you that doing new problems on test day and NOT looking at the answers helped to calm my nerves.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:34 pm

buddyblack wrote:
I've never tried reviewing old material before a PT (though I will tomorrow) but as a retaker I can tell you that doing new problems on test day and NOT looking at the answers helped to calm my nerves.
Yeah, I'm thinking maybe a section of older LR (I tend to do better on these) or review my most recent exam, and some newer LGs (as I tend to do better on these) ... mostly just something to get me thinking LSAT and also boost my confidence on test day.

Edit: I don't think I'd be able to stand not checking them though!

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:47 pm

I've taken 5 timed sections today/yesterday of LR/RC and I'm consistently getting -3/-4. Woo Woo! I ordered another "Next 10 actual, official, LSAT preptests) book so that I can do all the logic games in it, again (I did them for practice for the last go around). I'm really starting to believe that with a strong focus on my next PT's 12-15 wrong isn't out of the question.

soupisgood

Bronze

Post by soupisgood » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:43 pm

I took PT 43 this morning, and I don't know what to think.

LG: -2
LR: -2
RC: -8 (my best section normally)
LR: -7

Raw: 82
Scaled: 165

I don't know what happened! I keep on coming up with excuses as to why my last two sections were so much worse than the first two-- today was the first day I started my "wake up at 6:30, go to the gym, and take a PT" routine; took a bathroom break nearing the end of section 2; did 4 back-to-back sections instead of adding an experimental, and doing 3-break-2 like I usually do, etc.-- but I look back at the -8 and -7 and just get frustrated again. I found myself getting tired in the middle of RC, ran out of time (though I had a full 35 minutes), and missed almost all the questions for the last passage. Not to mention that -7 in LR is a personal worst for me.

Not that I would wish this on others, but does anybody else have an experience like this? :?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:47 pm

soupisgood wrote:I took PT 43 this morning, and I don't know what to think.

I don't know what happened! I keep on coming up with excuses as to why my last two sections were so much worse than the first two-- today was the first day I started my "wake up at 6:30, go to the gym, and take a PT" routine; took a bathroom break nearing the end of section 2; did 4 back-to-back sections instead of adding an experimental, and doing 3-break-2 like I usually do, etc.-- but I look back at the -8 and -7 and just get frustrated again. I found myself getting tired in the middle of RC, ran out of time (though I had a full 35 minutes), and missed almost all the questions for the last passage. Not to mention that -7 in LR is a personal worst for me.

Not that I would wish this on others, but does anybody else have an experience like this? :?
Was your overall score in line or lower than usual?

afische3

New

Post by afische3 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:16 pm

Definitely in for this thread. 166 on the Feb 2009 test. currently scoring between 170-173, aiming for a 172. Keep getting tripped up on the RC questions bad, but got LG down pretty good.

soupisgood

Bronze

Post by soupisgood » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:33 pm

ruleser wrote:
soupisgood wrote:I took PT 43 this morning, and I don't know what to think.

Was your overall score in line or lower than usual?
A little lower... I've been scoring mid-160's to low 170's.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:56 pm

I'm so unbelievably angry. I just took the June 09 test. Got a raw score of 88 and scaled score of 168, the same score that I got last Oct that I'm trying to improve upon!!!! :evil:

This is my third of my 10PTs in 30 days and my first was 176, then 167 and now 168. I'm so pissed. When I do individual timed LR sections I average -1 on each but on this PT I got -8 total. I did well on RC with a -2, but did worse than average on games with -3 (I average -0/-1). The dino game cost me two questions, but it wasn't ridiculously hard like I expected it to be just made to dumb mistakes.

I'm going to do some hardcore review tomorrow and then take my next PT on Wednesday. If things keep going like this I can kiss UChicago goodbye. :evil:
Last edited by 02082010 on Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:05 am

12 most recent PTs arrived in the mail today. Time to get to work.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:22 am

forza wrote:12 most recent PTs arrived in the mail today. Time to get to work.
Which ones are those?

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:23 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:I'm so unbelievably angry. I just took the June 09 test. Got a raw score of 88 and scaled score of 168, the same score that I got last Oct that I'm trying to improve upon!!!! :evil:

This is my third of my 10PTs in 30 days and my first was 176, then 167 and now 168. I'm so pissed. When I do individual timed LR sections I average -1 on each but on this PT I got -8 total. I did well on RC with a -2, but did worse than average on games with -3 (I average -0/-1). The dino game cost me two questions, but it wasn't ridiculously hard like I expected it to be just made to dumb mistakes.

I'm going to do some hardcore review tomorrow and then take my next PT on Wednesday. If things keep going like this I can kiss UChicago goodbye. :evil:
is there anywhere to get pt 57 besides LSAC? they say 4-6 weeks for it to ship to canada which is a joke

Kulax22

Bronze

Post by Kulax22 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:41 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:I'm so unbelievably angry. I just took the June 09 test. Got a raw score of 88 and scaled score of 168, the same score that I got last Oct that I'm trying to improve upon!!!! :evil:

Is 57 worth procuring (Of course, they all are, but I'm assuming it takes a while to ship and is not particularly different?) Is there a copy of Dino game online?

I feel your pain, in the sense that I know I'm getting better but somehow it doesn't show up! I have yet to crack 170 on a PT. I feel so much better now than before, I'm more consistent than ever, and yet when I do a full-scale PT I don't do any better. It's maddening, but I gotta keep the faith. This week 170 will be broken. :mrgreen:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:47 am

Kulax22 wrote:

Is 57 worth procuring (Of course, they all are, but I'm assuming it takes a while to ship and is not particularly different?) Is there a copy of Dino game online?

I feel your pain, in the sense that I know I'm getting better but somehow it doesn't show up! I have yet to crack 170 on a PT. I feel so much better now than before, I'm more consistent than ever, and yet when I do a full-scale PT I don't do any better. It's maddening, but I gotta keep the faith. This week 170 will be broken. :mrgreen:
Yeah, I'm just going to stay positive and since I've broken 170 twice before I can't be too pissed. Just need to stay focused and make sure I'm not careless or second guess myself when I'm taking full-length tests. Dino game really isn't that hard at all. I took me 10minutes to do but that's bc I save it for last and banked an extra 2 minutes for that game. The very last game took up the entire page and there was almost no room for a sketch. That would have been a bitch if I had done the games section in order.

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:10 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:
Which ones are those?
46-57, June 2005-June 2009

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:29 am

forza wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
Which ones are those?
report your experience on the difficulty curve vs. older tests if you could. I'm about to begin 53-57 before the sept 6 deadline to see if I can carry over my previous average to the modern tests

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:49 am

sayan wrote:
forza wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
Which ones are those?
report your experience on the difficulty curve vs. older tests if you could. I'm about to begin 53-57 before the sept 6 deadline to see if I can carry over my previous average to the modern tests
You bet I will. This is a concern I've had for quite some time. Hoping for positive results myself.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”