Blueprint vs. TestMasters vs. Powerscore Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Choose a Prep Course

Total votes: 0

tallboone

Bronze

Blueprint vs. TestMasters vs. Powerscore

Post by tallboone » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:41 am

Since Blueprint won the lawsuit TestMasters filed against it (and therefore will presumably not face any more legal uncertainty before September 09), is the course worth taking over TestMasters and/or Powerscore? Also, does anyone know how effective the online courses are? I just got my June 09 test back and scored in the mid 160s, but was hoping to break 170, so I'm going to retake and use a prep class. Any advice would be helpful.

MeanderingMatty

New

Re: Blueprint vs. TestMasters vs. Powerscore

Post by MeanderingMatty » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:53 am

It seems like to answer this properly I'd have to be familiar with all three... I guess some people here are, but that's way to much time/money for me to spend. I just use Powerscore.

tallboone

Bronze

Post by tallboone » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:56 am

If you are not familiar with all of them, just say if you liked/disliked the one you took.

MeanderingMatty

New

Post by MeanderingMatty » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:57 am

Well for courses I can't tell you. Most people here would attest to the LG Bible (powescore)- I read it, loved it. I also read the LR Bible, I think it was helpful.

emoticons777

Bronze

Post by emoticons777 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:13 am

I took Blueprint and appreciated the style of teaching (personable, etc.). I would suggest doing the homework and extra practice tests as the instructor insists - because if you don't (like me) you'll end up with a bad score (like me). I an honestly say that if I would have put more effort into it, I could have really taken advantage of their teaching style/methods.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JuTMSY4

Bronze

Post by JuTMSY4 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:04 am

I took testmasters and I wasn't happy

Material was fine (pretty standard compared to others) but my instructor was bad. That's the lesson - find a good instructor first. If you're already motivated to take a class, you probably want to be "taught" in some way. Each brand is different in materials they teach from (the good ones use real Qs/tests anyway) but all have good and bad instructors. Just ask to sit in for an hour for each class and you'll be glad you did...

Also, I'm sure TM is a fine program, I just made the mistake of getting a bad instructor (not checking). When I began studying again this year, I was also more motivated - so I'm sure that was a factor.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:31 am

Find out what instructors in your area are best rather than the method. The method is only as good as the person that is teaching it.

tallboone

Bronze

Post by tallboone » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:09 pm

is one course different from another in that it is less instructor dependent? i've heard that powerscore pretty much just teaches out of the books, whereas testmasters requires you to take notes from the instructor, essentially rendering the books useless without proper instruction. Any word on this or Blueprint?

cancelled02062010

New

Post by cancelled02062010 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:35 pm

mfb285 wrote:You have the skills to get to ~165. Get a tutor and hone the skills you already have. Take tests on your own and for the questions you miss, take them to the tutor and understand why you missed them. That will take you to the next level, I think. You can do this one your own, but the tutor should help you to understand your mistakes quicker. Just my thoughts. It worked for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”