Experience with taking LSAT multiple times?

User avatar
frank_the_tank
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Experience with taking LSAT multiple times?

Postby frank_the_tank » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:17 pm

johnDAbaptist wrote:so it says that NYU doesnt have a stated policy of averaging or higher score. I have a 153,160,cancel,172 (3.4 gpa). what does everyone think of my chances? not good? also how do i explain these scores in an Addendum?


a 3.4 straight up 172 doesn't look too good =\

johnDAbaptist
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:53 am

Re: Experience with taking LSAT multiple times?

Postby johnDAbaptist » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:19 pm

frank_the_tank wrote:
johnDAbaptist wrote:so it says that NYU doesnt have a stated policy of averaging or higher score. I have a 153,160,cancel,172 (3.4 gpa). what does everyone think of my chances? not good? also how do i explain these scores in an Addendum?


a 3.4 straight up 172 doesn't look too good =\


even if i'm a cpa and gear my essay towards tax law (one of their strengths)? :( damn that ruined my day. on lsn.com it seems a have a decent chance

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: Experience with taking LSAT multiple times?

Postby Nom Sawyer » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:23 pm

frank_the_tank wrote:
SolarWind wrote:Well in that kind of hypothetical situation (165 v 178) your set in almost all schools as your second is so high... the only exceptions might be Columbia/Berkley/Georgetown which average & then HYS.




Wrong.


May I ask how so? In stating "only exceptions might" I was referring directly to stated policies of the schools, along with the intrinsic fact that other factors aren't mentioned, i.e. GPA, other softs. Now realistically, with decent GPA Georgetown & Berkley will autoadmit the 178, but Columbia might not accept for splitters in this kind of situation. HYS will likely reject if the GPA is low. Finally refer to my second link, schools do care about a cancel versus a low score... a 165 + 178 matched against someone with a cancel and a 178 will lose out if all else is equal.

User avatar
frank_the_tank
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Experience with taking LSAT multiple times?

Postby frank_the_tank » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:30 pm

SolarWind wrote:
frank_the_tank wrote:
SolarWind wrote:Well in that kind of hypothetical situation (165 v 178) your set in almost all schools as your second is so high... the only exceptions might be Columbia/Berkley/Georgetown which average & then HYS.




Wrong.


May I ask how so? In stating "only exceptions might" I was referring directly to stated policies of the schools, along with the intrinsic fact that other factors aren't mentioned, i.e. GPA, other softs. Now realistically, with decent GPA Georgetown & Berkley will autoadmit the 178, but Columbia might not accept for splitters in this kind of situation. HYS will likely reject if the GPA is low. Finally refer to my second link, schools do care about a cancel versus a low score... a 165 + 178 matched against someone with a cancel and a 178 will lose out if all else is equal.



Weird...i wonder how I got into columbia with my 160...strange

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: Experience with taking LSAT multiple times?

Postby Nom Sawyer » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:41 pm

frank_the_tank wrote:
SolarWind wrote:
frank_the_tank wrote:
SolarWind wrote:Well in that kind of hypothetical situation (165 v 178) your set in almost all schools as your second is so high... the only exceptions might be Columbia/Berkley/Georgetown which average & then HYS.




Wrong.


May I ask how so? In stating "only exceptions might" I was referring directly to stated policies of the schools, along with the intrinsic fact that other factors aren't mentioned, i.e. GPA, other softs. Now realistically, with decent GPA Georgetown & Berkley will autoadmit the 178, but Columbia might not accept for splitters in this kind of situation. HYS will likely reject if the GPA is low. Finally refer to my second link, schools do care about a cancel versus a low score... a 165 + 178 matched against someone with a cancel and a 178 will lose out if all else is equal.



Weird...i wonder how I got into columbia with my 160...strange


Haha exactly... your one of the other factors that clearly aren't mentioned when someone is talking about splitters and a 165 + 178. Now for Columbia the 25/75th medians are 170-175... so if you're a splitter, non-urm, you might not get in with 165/178... still you definitely have a good shot. As for 160, congrats!! how did you do it? I'm curious as Columbia is one of the schools I'm looking at.

User avatar
frank_the_tank
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Experience with taking LSAT multiple times?

Postby frank_the_tank » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:57 pm

SolarWind wrote:
Haha exactly... your one of the other factors that clearly aren't mentioned when someone is talking about splitters and a 165 + 178. Now for Columbia the 25/75th medians are 170-175... so if you're a splitter, non-urm, you might not get in with 165/178... still you definitely have a good shot. As for 160, congrats!! how did you do it? I'm curious as Columbia is one of the schools I'm looking at.


Sorry, that wasn't clear. 160 was my initial score. For a 5+ point score increase, Columbia doesn't average. That is the case for nearly all of the T-14.

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: Experience with taking LSAT multiple times?

Postby Mr. Matlock » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:33 pm

warriors19 wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
rondemarino wrote:
SolarWind wrote:Here's the evidence... most of everything I've stated comes straight from a school's own policy website, and here you can find a collection of each schools policy on averaging LSATs (Dating from April 3, 2009):

--LinkRemoved--

As you can see, several schools outside top 6 including Berkley and UT-Austin still state on their admissions policy that they will average scores. However, the overwhelming majority of schools outside of top 6 now only take the top score.

In regards to a lower score being worse then a cancel, this is aimed more towards those wishing to gain admittance to a very top law school... as stated before top 6 still will often consider the entirety of your scoring, but specifics are murky and usually greater weight is applied to the highest score. Here's a source that goes more in depth:

http://www.vault.com/nr/newsmain.jsp?nr ... at_id=3091

Hope these help!


Nice.

There's what schools say, and what they actually do. Lawschoolnumbers is probably a good way to see if the school is FOS. For example, if WUSTL or W&L tell you they look at soft factors, don't believe them. Hell, if they tell you they look at anything besides your LSAT score, don't believe them. However, the first article seems to jive with whats on LSN. Thanks.

I appreciate the follow-up as well. I also appreciate that the first link follows the TRUE rankings and has Cooleys info listed at #12. :D

I also agree with the fact that outside the top 6 (even that may be pushing it) most play the rankings game, if you get a 150 and a 173... They'll only see the 173. ("Pay no attention, these are not the droids you're looking for")

A Fresca to the first poster to get the reference.




Image

Fresca me Biatch

:lol: You pm me when you're in the LA area. I'll happily pay up!! Might even join you.

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: Experience with taking LSAT multiple times?

Postby Mr. Matlock » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:47 pm

frank_the_tank wrote:
SolarWind wrote:
Haha exactly... your one of the other factors that clearly aren't mentioned when someone is talking about splitters and a 165 + 178. Now for Columbia the 25/75th medians are 170-175... so if you're a splitter, non-urm, you might not get in with 165/178... still you definitely have a good shot. As for 160, congrats!! how did you do it? I'm curious as Columbia is one of the schools I'm looking at.

Sorry, that wasn't clear. 160 was my initial score. For a 5+ point score increase, Columbia doesn't average. That is the case for nearly all of the T-14.


They're all just a bunch of damned number whores. Sure, they'll lull you into a false sense of security letting you believe your precious soft factors will assist in your lesser number candidacy. But in the end, at least from what I've seen, they go back to their number whore roots in their number whore villages by taking the Johns and Janes with the best numbers.
Last edited by Mr. Matlock on Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stardog_Champion
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:48 pm

Re: Experience with taking LSAT multiple times?

Postby Stardog_Champion » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:48 pm

johnDAbaptist wrote:
frank_the_tank wrote:
johnDAbaptist wrote:so it says that NYU doesnt have a stated policy of averaging or higher score. I have a 153,160,cancel,172 (3.4 gpa). what does everyone think of my chances? not good? also how do i explain these scores in an Addendum?


a 3.4 straight up 172 doesn't look too good =\


even if i'm a cpa and gear my essay towards tax law (one of their strengths)? :( damn that ruined my day. on lsn.com it seems a have a decent chance



At least they can't blame you for not taking initiative. I think you're in decent shape - just contextualize the 153 and 160 with a good story and play up your time out of school as a CPA. With time and experience under your belt, the LSAT should (theoretically) matter less.

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: Experience with taking LSAT multiple times?

Postby Nom Sawyer » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:37 pm

frank_the_tank wrote:
SolarWind wrote:
Haha exactly... your one of the other factors that clearly aren't mentioned when someone is talking about splitters and a 165 + 178. Now for Columbia the 25/75th medians are 170-175... so if you're a splitter, non-urm, you might not get in with 165/178... still you definitely have a good shot. As for 160, congrats!! how did you do it? I'm curious as Columbia is one of the schools I'm looking at.


Sorry, that wasn't clear. 160 was my initial score. For a 5+ point score increase, Columbia doesn't average. That is the case for nearly all of the T-14.


Ahhhh that makes more sense... and actually the exact stated policy of Columbia is if there is a very wide difference in LSAT score (I don't remember if it said +8 or +10), then we will put greater emphasis on the higher score... just like what I said in my posts. So you still got in fine, and I'm sure thats how they do it at most T14 under HYS, even the ones that claim they still average.

swtp3a5
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 12:22 am

Re: Experience with taking LSAT multiple times?

Postby swtp3a5 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:33 am

.
Last edited by swtp3a5 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shrimps
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:04 pm

Re: Experience with taking LSAT multiple times?

Postby Shrimps » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:24 am

frank_the_tank wrote:Weird...i wonder how I got into columbia with my 160...strange


I'd love to know that, too. What are your softs?

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Experience with taking LSAT multiple times?

Postby tomwatts » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:09 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:They're all just a bunch of damned number whores. Sure, they'll lull you into a false sense of security letting you believe your precious soft factors will assist in your lesser number candidacy. But in the end, at least from what I've seen, they go back to their number whore roots in their number whore villages by taking the Johns and Janes with the best numbers.

Okay, I realize that this was nearly a year ago, but this is hilarious. :P

Shrimps wrote:
frank_the_tank wrote:Weird...i wonder how I got into columbia with my 160...strange


I'd love to know that, too. What are your softs?

I think, based on his subsequent post, that his "softs" were a higher subsequent LSAT score.

GoBroncos22!
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:18 pm

Re: Experience with taking LSAT multiple times?

Postby GoBroncos22! » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:08 pm

So with my first score of 158, if I retake and (god willing) I score a 165+, would this look worse/as good/better than simply scoring a 165 initially?

GoBroncos22!
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:18 pm

Re: Experience with taking LSAT multiple times?

Postby GoBroncos22! » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:09 pm

oh, and the choice of schools wouldnt really change, I am just retaking for potential scholarship help.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cherrygalore, Instrumental, smashbash, Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests