Yet ANOTHER (necessary) reminder to STOP POSTING ABOUT ??? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
muddywaters

Bronze

Yet ANOTHER (necessary) reminder to STOP POSTING ABOUT ???

Post by muddywaters » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:04 pm

Our site could be jeopardized.

Thanks........again...........

tekisui

New

Re: Yet ANOTHER (necessary) reminder to STOP POSTING ABOUT ???

Post by tekisui » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:10 pm

If anything inappropriate is being posted, it is deleted, right?

I assume if posts are allowed to stand and threads are allowed to continue with being deleted by the mods, then no rules are being broken.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:10 pm

I know its probably been discussed... but what exactly is the logic behind us not being allowed to discuss questions on the forum (even in vagaries)? Ive heard that it is because it gives us an advantage over other test takers who dont have access to the forum.. but it is on the internet and a quick google for "june 09 lsat" will return TLS as 2 of the first 4 results. Im not trying to be an asshole.. just looking for an answer.

muddywaters

Bronze

Post by muddywaters » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:11 pm

tekisui wrote:If anything inappropriate is being posted, it is deleted, right?

I assume if posts are allowed to stand and threads are allowed to continue with being deleted by the mods, then no rules are being broken.
yeah, but they shouldnt be posted in the first place. it's written all over here.......

we dont want to ban people for this stuff........but its against LSAC and TLS rules.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:11 pm

DCD wrote:I know its probably been discussed... but what exactly is the logic behind us not being allowed to discuss questions on the forum (even in vagaries)? Ive heard that it is because it gives us an advantage over other test takers who dont have access to the forum.. but it is on the internet and a quick google for "june 09 lsat" will return TLS as 2 of the first 4 results. Im not trying to be an asshole.. just looking for an answer.
They're copyrighted.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

muddywaters

Bronze

Post by muddywaters » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:11 pm

mallard wrote:
DCD wrote:I know its probably been discussed... but what exactly is the logic behind us not being allowed to discuss questions on the forum (even in vagaries)? Ive heard that it is because it gives us an advantage over other test takers who dont have access to the forum.. but it is on the internet and a quick google for "june 09 lsat" will return TLS as 2 of the first 4 results. Im not trying to be an asshole.. just looking for an answer.
They're copyrighted.

yeah.

muddywaters

Bronze

Post by muddywaters » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:13 pm

your assumption is wrong. there are way too many people that are not paying attention to these rules. it takes a long time for us to delete or edit each post.

it's best to just follow the rules if people want to stay members of our kick-ass site.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:13 pm

right.. but movies are copyrighted too but you are still allowed to talk about them in broad strokes no? we are not reproducing, verbatim, any LSAT questions. Once again.. not being difficult.. Im happy to comply for the sake of the site.

tekisui

New

Post by tekisui » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:15 pm

[quote="muddywaters"

your assumption is wrong. there are way too many people that are not paying attention to these rules. it takes a long time for us to delete or edit each post.

it's best to just follow the rules if people want to stay members of our kick-ass site.[/quote]

Got it. 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thriller219

New

Post by thriller219 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:15 pm

Ill admit I have been shocked by the amount of actual LSAT stuff that is on here. I was planning on communicating in codes after the exam, talking about pencils and shit. Come on here and there are explicit threads on specific Q's. But whatever, aint me either way.

muddywaters

Bronze

Post by muddywaters » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:15 pm

DCD wrote:right.. but movies are copyrighted too but you are still allowed to talk about them in broad strokes no? we are not reproducing, verbatim, any LSAT questions. Once again.. not being difficult.. Im happy to comply for the sake of the site.
thanks for complying. exact wording of questions (or close to exact) and answer choice discussions are not allowed, neither are game set-ups, details of passages, etc.

muddywaters

Bronze

Post by muddywaters » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:16 pm

thriller219 wrote:Ill admit I have been shocked by the amount of actual LSAT stuff that is on here. I was planning on communicating in codes after the exam, talking about pencils and shit. Come on here and there are explicit threads on specific Q's. But whatever, aint me either way.
No, but, as members, you should all want our site to remain free from LSAC scrutiny.

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:16 pm

i think i recall an RC passage talking about academics being given a lot of license when it comes to copying and making use of copyrighted material, for discussion and research purposes and whatnot.

who's up for a liberal interpretation of academic? anyone?

"I'm a scholar, mother, I enjoy scholarly pursuits."

Edit: I'll cease and desist. this post was meant to be comical in nature.

Also, LSAC scrutiny? the word that most aptly describes the author of this post's attitude towards LSAC scrutiny is: "draconian".
Last edited by let/them/eat/cake on Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bluejayk

Bronze

Post by bluejayk » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:17 pm

muddywaters wrote:

yeah, but they shouldnt be posted in the first place. it's written all over here.......

we dont want to ban people for this stuff........but its against LSAC and TLS rules.
I definitely don't want to put the site in jeopardy, but I'm not sure what is allowable. Obviously, substantial quotes from questions violates copyright. Also, saying something like "Number 13 was D", I guess would be no go, but the very fact that there are multiple threads about multiple LR/LG games makes people assume that what is going on there, in general, is okay.

So are we allowed to say, "the snakes and lizards game was tough, but you really needed to realize that there were only two cages where lizards can go and two cages where gerbils can go", if that was one of the games yesterday?

RickyMack

New

Post by RickyMack » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:17 pm

DCD wrote:right.. but movies are copyrighted too but you are still allowed to talk about them in broad strokes no? we are not reproducing, verbatim, any LSAT questions. Once again.. not being difficult.. Im happy to comply for the sake of the site.
they really should let people print the certifying statement instead of forcing people to write in cursive. i spent more time trying to figure out if i was drawing the letters correctly.

muddywaters

Bronze

Post by muddywaters » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:18 pm

bluejayk wrote:
muddywaters wrote:

I definitely don't want to put the site in jeopardy, but I'm not sure what is allowable. Obviously, substantial quotes from questions violates copyright. Also, saying something like "Number 13 was D", I guess would be no go, but the very fact that there are multiple threads about multiple LR/LG games makes people assume that what is going on there, in general, is okay.

So are we allowed to say, "the snakes and lizards game was tough, but you really needed to realize that there were only two cages where lizards can go and two cages where gerbils can go", if that was one of the games yesterday?
those people are not reading the thread at the top of the forum to not post questions.

misteranthro

New

Post by misteranthro » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:19 pm

RickyMack wrote:
they really should let people print the certifying statement instead of forcing people to write in cursive. i spent more time trying to figure out if i was drawing the letters correctly.
Q's and Z's are a real bitch. I am pretty sure I oversquiggled on some of my letters.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Moiz

New

Post by Moiz » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:19 pm

i think there was an LSAT passage dealing with copyright issues on the internet a few years back... according to the author of the passage (presumably LSAC), the solution is simply to password protect the sensitive "documents".

done and done.

(sorry, just trying to make light of this contensious issue!)

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:23 pm

Moiz wrote:i think there was an LSAT passage dealing with copyright issues on the internet a few years back... according to the author of the passage (presumably LSAC), the solution is simply to password protect the sensitive "documents".

done and done.

(sorry, just trying to make light of this contensious issue!)
i think that might've been june 07

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:27 pm

muddywaters wrote:

it's best to just follow the rules if people want to stay members of our kick-ass site.
muddywaters wrote:

Muddy, are you tired? You responded to the same post twice...

RickyMack

New

Post by RickyMack » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:32 pm

Bosque wrote:
muddywaters wrote:

muddywaters wrote:

Muddy, are you tired? You responded to the same post twice...
i'm sure lsac has been forcing him at gunpoint to scour the threads for violations =*( i'd like to take the time to apologies for any discretion and i will attempt to prevent future infringements.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jtgain

New

Post by jtgain » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:24 pm

I still don't understand how any of this violates LSACs copyright, or how they can forbid a discussion of what happened on the test.

Let me ask you this: If I watch Die Hard, and come on this site and say "Wow, that Bruce Willis sure was cool when he threw the guy off of the building" can I be sued for copyright infringement by the movie studio?

I don't think LSACs or anyone else's copyright extends that far. Now if it is a board rule for whatever reason, that's fine, but I don't think any of us needs a lecture on how we are breaking the copyright laws when it is certainly not true..

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:30 pm

jtgain wrote:I still don't understand how any of this violates LSACs copyright, or how they can forbid a discussion of what happened on the test.

Let me ask you this: If I watch Die Hard, and come on this site and say "Wow, that Bruce Willis sure was cool when he threw the guy off of the building" can I be sued for copyright infringement by the movie studio?

I don't think LSACs or anyone else's copyright extends that far. Now if it is a board rule for whatever reason, that's fine, but I don't think any of us needs a lecture on how we are breaking the copyright laws when it is certainly not true..
Yeah, I don't think copyright is the issue, because it's not like we're distributing copies of the LSAT here. But every test taker signed an agreement not to discuss the content of the test, and the concern is that individual posters can be subpeonaed and have their test scores cancelled for breaking that agreement.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:53 pm

im_blue wrote:
jtgain wrote:I still don't understand how any of this violates LSACs copyright, or how they can forbid a discussion of what happened on the test.

Yeah, I don't think copyright is the issue, because it's not like we're distributing copies of the LSAT here. But every test taker signed an agreement not to discuss the content of the test, and the concern is that individual posters can be subpeonaed and have their test scores cancelled for breaking that agreement.
i dont think thats really the concern.. I think its more that the site doesnt want to piss of LSAC (understandably).

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:59 pm

DCD wrote:
im_blue wrote:

i dont think thats really the concern.. I think its more that the site doesnt want to piss of LSAC (understandably).
But the question is what can LSAC do to TLS because some posters violated their NDA?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”