Voyager's RC Strategy Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
RVP11

Gold

Re: Voyager's RC Strategy

Post by RVP11 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:52 pm

JPeavy44 wrote:The hardest part of RC for me is stamina. It's so damn long, and if I had both LR sections before it, it's even harder.
Really? I love an LR section to warm up for RC. My ideal test form would be LG LG LR LR RC.

zeezoo

Bronze

Post by zeezoo » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:55 pm

I'd prefer LR LR LR LR LR

ColtonDLong

New

Post by ColtonDLong » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:30 am

zeezoo wrote:I'd prefer LR LR LR LR LR
I couldn't agree with that statement more. I wish LSAC would just get rid of LGs altogether. I'd be going to Harvard.

hous

Bronze

Post by hous » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:37 am

zeezoo wrote:I'd prefer LR LR LR LR LR
LG LG LG LG LG

Id be going to Harvard, with money.

Lyov Myshkin

Bronze

Post by Lyov Myshkin » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:02 am

anyone else think it's funny that no one has responded rc rc rc rc rc in this particular thread?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ColtonDLong

New

Post by ColtonDLong » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:06 am

I'd do RC. It is the easiest section for me actually. Plus I could learn about a bunch of random stuff.

Lyov Myshkin

Bronze

Post by Lyov Myshkin » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:12 am

don't even joke about shit like that. that'd be like 20 reading comp passages. my head would explode. who the fuck gives a shit about 18th century british law regarding women's rights?

(sorry ladies, don't mean to down talk your entitled rights or anything, it's just that i don't care how you got them. for that matter, i don't really care how i got mine. just like having em is all.)

JPeavy44

New

Post by JPeavy44 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:13 am

hkfortytwo wrote:anyone else think it's funny that no one has responded rc rc rc rc rc in this particular thread?
I would kill myself. I couldn't handle that.

hous

Bronze

Post by hous » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:15 am

hkfortytwo wrote:anyone else think it's funny that no one has responded rc rc rc rc rc in this particular thread?
I hear medical school is nice...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lyov Myshkin

Bronze

Post by Lyov Myshkin » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:19 am

i think i'm gonna study for the mcat after the lsat, actually. i'm gonna put a good year into it.

ColtonDLong

New

Post by ColtonDLong » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:20 am

hkfortytwo wrote:i think i'm gonna study for the mcat after the lsat, actually. i'm gonna put a good year into it.

You're kidding.

Lyov Myshkin

Bronze

Post by Lyov Myshkin » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:50 am

i wanna, but i can be pretty lazy sometimes. i'll have the time since i'm spending a year in asia after the lsat to teach english. i figure if i don't have some sort of a deadline, i'll end up wasting a year of my life, likely drinking it away from what i hear about asia. if i can test decently on the mcat, i should end up with a good broad knowledge of stuff (physics, bio, chem, o-chem). it's alot to learn in a year though since my existing knowledge is pretty rusty. it's too bad you can't make a living taking standardized tests. i'd hop on that boat.

ColtonDLong

New

Post by ColtonDLong » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:15 am

hkfortytwo wrote:i wanna, but i can be pretty lazy sometimes. i'll have the time since i'm spending a year in asia after the lsat to teach english. i figure if i don't have some sort of a deadline, i'll end up wasting a year of my life, likely drinking it away from what i hear about asia. if i can test decently on the mcat, i should end up with a good broad knowledge of stuff (physics, bio, chem, o-chem). it's alot to learn in a year though since my existing knowledge is pretty rusty. it's too bad you can't make a living taking standardized tests. i'd hop on that boat.
You are!? I think I might be too (teaching in Asia)...especially if I don't get into my favored schools this cycle.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hous

Bronze

Post by hous » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:16 am

hkfortytwo wrote:i wanna, but i can be pretty lazy sometimes. i'll have the time since i'm spending a year in asia after the lsat to teach english. i figure if i don't have some sort of a deadline, i'll end up wasting a year of my life, likely drinking it away from what i hear about asia. if i can test decently on the mcat, i should end up with a good broad knowledge of stuff (physics, bio, chem, o-chem). it's alot to learn in a year though since my existing knowledge is pretty rusty. it's too bad you can't make a living taking standardized tests. i'd hop on that boat.
Form a test company... Like BluePrint...

ColtonDLong

New

Post by ColtonDLong » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:43 am

hous wrote:
Form a test company... Like BluePrint...
haha, yah....can you please explain to me what all this controversy over Blueprint is? I feel outta the loop.

Lyov Myshkin

Bronze

Post by Lyov Myshkin » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:46 am

hous wrote:Form a test company... Like BluePrint...
you're just full of jokes today. i fricking clicked on that link and everything.

but yeah. korea actually. i kinda wanted to do japan but it's hard to get a job there and cost of living is ridiculous. it's just that i'm not really ready right now to work for the rest of my life. i need some time to dick around, see the world or something. i don't really understand why everyone's in such a rush. i much prefer the scenic route to steady employment.

zeezoo

Bronze

Post by zeezoo » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:53 am

LG LG LG LG LG

Id be going to Harvard, with money.
Not really-but I will let you figure that out. Think about the probable standard deviation of LG scores for high scorers vs. LR or RC.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Maharaj

Post by Maharaj » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:47 pm

Great technique. I used to use this all the time to get -1 or -2 MAX, and then I stopped using it because I thought I didn't need it. My score dropped to like -5 or -6, and I just began using this again and my score has once again gone to a better range.

ColtonDLong

New

Post by ColtonDLong » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:07 pm

I'm pissed my average is a -3, and I just took 2 sections. -4 and -6. Help!

Lyov Myshkin

Bronze

Post by Lyov Myshkin » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:14 am

since adopting Stanley Otto Swift's suggestion in this thread:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =6&t=36512

i've started using highlighters to go through each section the second time in modified version of Castlerock's suggestion in this thread:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =6&t=39235

and i got ta thinking, i mean i know that mechanical pencils aren't allowed and all, but what if i could maybe get away with colored pencils through some sort of loophole or something (like if they don't specify the 'type' of pencil you can bring in) so that i could use them on reading comp in a color coded frenzy. and then i discovered this...

--LinkRemoved--

if you don't wanna read it, as it turns out it seems that highlighters are allowed. which in turn means that it may be helpful to practice reading comp with some sort of color coded technique. i haven't really devised a method (hopefully someone else will do that, since i'm pretty lazy), but being able to use highlighters seems to be a benefit thats been overlooked so far in reading comprehension strategy. thoughts on how to reap these benefits would be greatly appreciated.

wen5000

New

Post by wen5000 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:47 am

Just wondering if anyone has advice specific to the (relatively) new RC change of two small passages? Is there anything different to prepare for? The preptests I've done so far are all older ones and they just have one long passage per bunch of questions, so I'm just curious.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ColtonDLong

New

Post by ColtonDLong » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:50 pm

wen5000 wrote:Just wondering if anyone has advice specific to the (relatively) new RC change of two small passages? Is there anything different to prepare for? The preptests I've done so far are all older ones and they just have one long passage per bunch of questions, so I'm just curious.
I haven't taken the new, new ones yet, so no comparative reading section on any of my PTs, but from what I understand there really isn't that much that has hanged. Some of the questions will be a little different, but assuming you can read quickly and understand the main points of both passages, you should be fine. Some people say RC has gotten harder, and I really don't think that is true. I think RC can vary in difficulty from test to test just like LR and LG can, but that is about it.

ColtonDLong

New

Post by ColtonDLong » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:23 pm

hkfortytwo wrote:since adopting Stanley Otto Swift's suggestion in this thread:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =6&t=36512

i've started using highlighters to go through each section the second time in modified version of Castlerock's suggestion in this thread:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =6&t=39235

and i got ta thinking, i mean i know that mechanical pencils aren't allowed and all, but what if i could maybe get away with colored pencils through some sort of loophole or something (like if they don't specify the 'type' of pencil you can bring in) so that i could use them on reading comp in a color coded frenzy. and then i discovered this...

--LinkRemoved--

if you don't wanna read it, as it turns out it seems that highlighters are allowed. which in turn means that it may be helpful to practice reading comp with some sort of color coded technique. i haven't really devised a method (hopefully someone else will do that, since i'm pretty lazy), but being able to use highlighters seems to be a benefit thats been overlooked so far in reading comprehension strategy. thoughts on how to reap these benefits would be greatly appreciated.
My thoughts are this: Using a bunch of highlighters during a test would be or at least seems incredibly time consuming. I think underlining with different types of lines would be just as helpful, and quicker. For instance, if he sites evidence...underline all evidence cited with a squiggly line so it can quickly be referred back to. If it is a key word, box it, if he gives his opinion, underline it with a straight line, etc.

I just read straight through and box/underline minimally, but this technique could work!

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:41 pm

With RC, I don't think there's a set way for everyone to approach it. Whereas in LR, you just need to be able to ID the different types of questions and know the techniques to solving each one, everyone reads differently.

For me, I tried Voyager's RC strategy and it didn't work for me. I spent way too much time underlining/boxing/circling, and by the time I got to the end of the passage I could barely remember the main details of the passage as a whole. That, and I'm kind of a quick reader, so I score better if I just read through the passage again.

All I do is:
1. underline the thesis
2. bracket topic sentences (or shifts in paragraphs)
3. number the evidence given under each topic sentence

I go through the passage much faster, and I have a better grasp of the passage as a whole.

rocketman

New

Post by rocketman » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:25 pm

i had read this thread earlier but didnt try the technique until today. i just did one passage right now (didnt miss any), so its too early obviously, but i definitely felt very confident about my answer choices whereas i usually am a tad bit hesitant on some.

the most helpful technique is the separating large paragraphs into smaller paragraphs. this just made everything much more manageable for my mind and when a question referred to a certain line, i simply had to look in the margin to see what that sub paragraph in which the line is contained is about to find my answer, as opposed to wasting 4 or 5 additional seconds analyzing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”