Voyager's RC Strategy

Instinctive
Posts: 436
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:23 pm

Re: Voyager's RC Strategy

Postby Instinctive » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:45 am

:dot:

A.Taarabt7
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:45 pm

Re: Voyager's RC Strategy

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:57 am

just attempted this strat on RC of one of the superprep tests. worked fairly well under timed conditions, the section was old so no comparitive reading. i only had 5 mins left for the last passage, had to speed read and answer the questions. i need to refine the strat and will update everyone on my progress.

Am currently studying for retake

b33eazy
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Voyager's RC Strategy

Postby b33eazy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:55 pm

Any tips on how to move faster? I have been trying this method and it takes me 8 minutes to read through the passage with markings.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Voyager's RC Strategy

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:45 am

b33eazy wrote:Any tips on how to move faster? I have been trying this method and it takes me 8 minutes to read through the passage with markings.


I know myself and a lot of other high scorers don't mark at all. The problem with marking is often two fold: you either mark too much, or you mark the wrong things. If you can do it efficiently and it helps you, then great. The goal is to read quickly but completely, read for structure and don't try to retain every single piece of information in the passage. You're allowed to refer back to the passage when you need it.

A.Taarabt7
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:45 pm

Re: Voyager's RC Strategy

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:37 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
b33eazy wrote:Any tips on how to move faster? I have been trying this method and it takes me 8 minutes to read through the passage with markings.


I know myself and a lot of other high scorers don't mark at all. The problem with marking is often two fold: you either mark too much, or you mark the wrong things. If you can do it efficiently and it helps you, then great. The goal is to read quickly but completely, read for structure and don't try to retain every single piece of information in the passage. You're allowed to refer back to the passage when you need it.



so you dont mark one bit at all? not even underline the topic or author opinion? this would be tough for me to master as i always underline in everything i read ( school exams,assigned reading, etc)

User avatar
Zensack
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: Voyager's RC Strategy

Postby Zensack » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:02 pm

A.Taarabt7 wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:
b33eazy wrote:Any tips on how to move faster? I have been trying this method and it takes me 8 minutes to read through the passage with markings.


I know myself and a lot of other high scorers don't mark at all. The problem with marking is often two fold: you either mark too much, or you mark the wrong things. If you can do it efficiently and it helps you, then great. The goal is to read quickly but completely, read for structure and don't try to retain every single piece of information in the passage. You're allowed to refer back to the passage when you need it.



so you dont mark one bit at all? not even underline the topic or author opinion? this would be tough for me to master as i always underline in everything i read ( school exams,assigned reading, etc)


You could scale it back rather than throw it out entirely, but I feel you're better off doing little to no marking. If you're going to mark I would at least do it after finishing the paragraph so that your flow is interrupted less frequently and abruptly.

User avatar
TX_UH
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:52 pm

Re: Voyager's RC Strategy

Postby TX_UH » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:02 pm

bump

Voyager
Posts: 640
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 2:52 pm

Re: Voyager's RC Strategy

Postby Voyager » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:23 pm

Well, after 9 years we should have enough data to know if this approach works...

User avatar
littlewing67
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:08 pm

Re: Voyager's RC Strategy

Postby littlewing67 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:54 pm

Just discovered this thread! I've actually been doing worst in RC even though I've been improving like crazy in LG and LR. RC is what is bringing me down to a 168 when I can be at 170+ :( :oops: I'm going to be trying to method and I'll come back with my results!

ood
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: Voyager's RC Strategy

Postby ood » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:00 pm

littlewing67 wrote:Just discovered this thread! I've actually been doing worst in RC even though I've been improving like crazy in LG and LR. RC is what is bringing me down to a 168 when I can be at 170+ :( :oops: I'm going to be trying to method and I'll come back with my results!


How did it go?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dj9i27, Instrumental and 1 guest