How does alcohol effect studying?

Ssoto0055
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:32 pm

How does alcohol effect studying?

Postby Ssoto0055 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:04 pm

I ask because it is really the only thing I can think of. I didn't get hammered over the weekend, but did have a few scotches this past weekend, and got a little buzz. I felt a little bit like I was burned out because I couldn't go through the progressions I normally go through. Making the connections between the argument, and eliminating answers. My last four exams have been 160, 153, 159, and 151. The lower scores were on weekends I drank. I didn't do anything over the weekend, as a matter of fact I took Friday off too. It's the schedule I have been keeping to lately. If I stidy much more than I will get burned out. Perhaps there is a correlation? Or is it a flaw in my argument? Am I making a correlation from a casual relationship? :mrgreen: Sorry couldn't resist. Does alcohol have effects on cognitive memory long after the buzz is gone??

lloydchristmas
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:13 pm

Re: How does alcohol effect studying?

Postby lloydchristmas » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:06 pm

man up, the attorneys in the good old days could do anything hammered while at work.
Last edited by lloydchristmas on Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Justice4All
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:20 am

Re: How does alcohol effect studying?

Postby Justice4All » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:07 pm

Ssoto0055 wrote:Am I making a correlation from a casual relationship?


It could be the crack you've been smoking.

Ssoto0055
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:32 pm

Re: How does alcohol effect studying?

Postby Ssoto0055 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Justice4All wrote:
Ssoto0055 wrote:Am I making a correlation from a casual relationship?


It could be the crack you've been smoking.


That will be after the LSAT. It is the quickest way to lose weight.

FunSized
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:46 pm

Re: How does alcohol effect studying?

Postby FunSized » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:12 pm

If you learn something while you are drunk you are more likely to remember said material when you are drunk again. Therefore you can either not drink or drink when you are studying and during exams. Babe Ruth was drunk all the time, but he didn't have to do much critical thinking and maybe he would have hit 1000 home runs sober.

User avatar
Justice4All
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:20 am

Re: How does alcohol effect studying?

Postby Justice4All » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:18 pm

Ssoto0055 wrote:Am I making a correlation from a casual relationship?


Is this like Craigslist Casual Encounters?

User avatar
macattaq
Posts: 441
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:46 pm

Re: How does alcohol effect studying?

Postby macattaq » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:21 pm

FunSized wrote:If you learn something while you are drunk you are more likely to remember said material when you are drunk again. Therefore you can either not drink or drink when you are studying and during exams. Babe Ruth was drunk all the time, but he didn't have to do much critical thinking and maybe he would have hit 1000 home runs sober.



TITCR. State dependent learning, FTL.

Man up, put down the booze, and get it in gear.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: How does alcohol effect studying?

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:26 pm

Ssoto0055 wrote:I ask because it is really the only thing I can think of. I didn't get hammered over the weekend, but did have a few scotches this past weekend, and got a little buzz. I felt a little bit like I was burned out because I couldn't go through the progressions I normally go through. Making the connections between the argument, and eliminating answers. My last four exams have been 160, 153, 159, and 151. The lower scores were on weekends I drank. I didn't do anything over the weekend, as a matter of fact I took Friday off too. It's the schedule I have been keeping to lately. If I stidy much more than I will get burned out. Perhaps there is a correlation? Or is it a flaw in my argument? Am I making a correlation from a casual relationship? :mrgreen: Sorry couldn't resist. Does alcohol have effects on cognitive memory long after the buzz is gone??

One thing alcohol does is make you forget the difference between affect and effect.

aer
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: How does alcohol effect studying?

Postby aer » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:27 pm

The length of time that you experience side effects of alcohol varies based on how much you drink, your weight and your metabolism. If you are taking practice tests the morning after drinking it may have some effect. Another possible reason for your decreased test score is that some people don't sleep as well after drinking.

Ssoto0055
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:32 pm

Re: How does alcohol effect studying?

Postby Ssoto0055 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:29 pm

macattaq wrote:
FunSized wrote:If you learn something while you are drunk you are more likely to remember said material when you are drunk again. Therefore you can either not drink or drink when you are studying and during exams. Babe Ruth was drunk all the time, but he didn't have to do much critical thinking and maybe he would have hit 1000 home runs sober.



TITCR. State dependent learning, FTL.

Man up, put down the booze, and get it in gear.


The booze was just a casual thing on a Friday or Saturday night to relax, or when I am hanging out with friends. I don't go near it during the week, which is when I do my studying. I just have no idea how much it is effecting me, if it is. I'm hoping someone with a little more knowledge than me can provide some insight. If that's the case I can deal without it for the next month while I finish preparations for June 8th.

lloydchristmas
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:13 pm

Re: How does alcohol effect studying?

Postby lloydchristmas » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:30 pm

i agree with the above poster, i know ppl that have to quit drinking for a few months before they can perform to maximum capacity, then there are those that can get liquored up the night before the test and have no problem. same goes for smoking, i know a kid who studied for the thing blown, took the thing pretty much blown, 170. Matters person to person.

User avatar
MidwestJosh
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:00 am

Re: How does alcohol effect studying?

Postby MidwestJosh » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:32 pm

I remember that when I personally was studying for the LSAT I found a major correlation between drinking and during the weekend and doing well on PTs

Stop drinking if it affects you!

User avatar
muddywaters
Posts: 477
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:59 am

Re: How does alcohol effect studying?

Postby muddywaters » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:34 pm

it affects you, totally. affects.

Ssoto0055
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:32 pm

Re: How does alcohol effect studying?

Postby Ssoto0055 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:39 pm

MidwestJosh wrote:I remember that when I personally was studying for the LSAT I found a major correlation between drinking and during the weekend and doing well on PTs

Stop drinking if it affects you!


I just wanted to make sure I wasn't grasping at air with this. It was the only thing I can tell that was different about on weekends. I wanted to know how much it can affect someone. I guess I am not the only one, and it does affect me more than others.

williamholden1
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:11 pm

Re: How does alcohol effect studying?

Postby williamholden1 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:45 pm

In general, negatively.

User avatar
kurla88
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:27 am

Re: How does alcohol effect studying?

Postby kurla88 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:48 pm

Alcohol destroys brain cells. Supposedly lowers mental performance for up to 3 days. Don't drink it before tests.

Ssoto0055
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:32 pm

Re: How does alcohol effect studying?

Postby Ssoto0055 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:11 pm

kurla88 wrote:Alcohol destroys brain cells. Supposedly lowers mental performance for up to 3 days. Don't drink it before tests.


That's what I was afraid of. We'll I guess I won't be drinking til the evening of June 8th.

User avatar
jgg1974
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:19 pm

Re: How does alcohol effect studying?

Postby jgg1974 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:59 pm

I think you should keep drinking with the hopes for me that you get a DUI and hinder your chances of getting accepting to a school that I might be applying to and thus an extra seat to fill, for say, maybe moi? :lol:

So to your question, no, alcohol is just fine! Not to mention , it is NOT a drug like some say. It is something to "relax" with. That's all.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: How does alcohol effect studying?

Postby Big Shrimpin » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:20 pm

.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests