LSAT personal tutors off CraigsList?

dailygrind

Re: LSAT personal tutors off CraigsList?

Postby dailygrind » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:38 pm

damn. that's some subtle self promotion you've got going on there, troy.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:45 pm

dailygrind wrote:damn. that's some subtle self promotion you've got going on there, troy.

:lol:

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:06 pm

Troy's list of hardest Logic Games (also here - scroll down) looks an awful lot like my list of hardest Logic Games.

Glad to see that he's apparently enjoying the blog, but it's probably time for me to get in touch with him.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:03 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:Troy's list of hardest Logic Games (also here - scroll down) looks an awful lot like my list of hardest Logic Games.

Glad to see that he's apparently enjoying the blog, but it's probably time for me to get in touch with him.

Oh god. This Troy Trang is good at marketing himself, though.

I have met a couple of people on Craigslist and I definitely made it a point to ask about their score & to get them to show me their actual score.

I haven't decided to go with one person yet... does anyone have any good tutor suggestions in the DC area??

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:11 pm

qaz123 wrote:Does any know if there are any good personal tutors in DC/MD/VA? I need help bad! lol

Bernie and Jeff at Griffon Prep.
http://www.griffonprep.com

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:57 pm

EarlCat wrote:
qaz123 wrote:Does any know if there are any good personal tutors in DC/MD/VA? I need help bad! lol

Sigh, that is way too expensive. I simply can't afford that - it seems cheaper to take a class in that case.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:46 pm

freestallion wrote:
EarlCat wrote:

Sigh, that is way too expensive. I simply can't afford that - it seems cheaper to take a class in that case.

They do classes too. I would like to caution you about cutting corners on your study options. A private law school education will tend to run in the neighborhood of $140,000 plus living expenses. Chances are you can't afford that either. But scraping together a few grand now for a few extra points on the LSAT can go a long way toward cutting that cost down. There are huge scholarships available for high scores.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:07 am

EarlCat wrote:
freestallion wrote:
EarlCat wrote:

They do classes too. I would like to caution you about cutting corners on your study options. A private law school education will tend to run in the neighborhood of $140,000 plus living expenses. Chances are you can't afford that either. But scraping together a few grand now for a few extra points on the LSAT can go a long way toward cutting that cost down. There are huge scholarships available for high scores.

Of course, I understand the importance of a good tutor or class. It's just hard for me to estimate whether a tutor will be truly helpful, when I could instead take an 80 hour class for the cost of 10 hours of private tutoring. Seems like I'd get more bang for my buck that way. Also, I am already scoring in the high 160s/170 range, and I want to increase from there on up to the high 170s, but am not sure of the best method of doing so.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:46 am

freestallion wrote:Of course, I understand the importance of a good tutor or class. It's just hard for me to estimate whether a tutor will be truly helpful, when I could instead take an 80 hour class for the cost of 10 hours of private tutoring. Seems like I'd get more bang for my buck that way. Also, I am already scoring in the high 160s/170 range, and I want to increase from there on up to the high 170s, but am not sure of the best method of doing so.

Nothing wrong with a class. Make sure you get the best instructor you can find. Sit in on some classes or interview a few before choosing who to give your money to.

jepoy

Postby jepoy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:58 am

Can anyone recommend tutors in the Seattle area? I searched craigslist, but all I found were spam posts.

jim5

Postby jim5 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:00 am

Don't go with Troy Trang, your better off just practicing on your own. He runs his classes in a small office and really does not know what he is talking about. Again stay away and better spend your money elsewhere.

jim5

Postby jim5 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:03 am

Kimberly1987 wrote:I am currently using a guy name Troy Trang in Orange County, his method is pretty unique especially with grouping games and formal logic question. His background is in philosophy so he doesn't regurgitate the same stuff you learn from the powerscore bible. He is pretty low profile, however, I think his method is awesome and easy to follow.

Prior to him, I was using Powerscore'd method and even got tutored by one of their instructor. Honestly I think some of PS method is outdated especially with relative order games and in and out grouping games. After using Troy Trang, PS approach seems overly complex and hard to follow. Why work extra hard when I can get the same answers doing something much simpler.

Better off going with PowerScore or any other reputable source. DO NOT USE TROY TRANG WASTE OF TIME.

Postby 03152016 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:19 am

I am Troy Trang. Who are you and what is your problem with my practice? Are you actually a former student of mine, or (as I suspect) one of my many jealous competitors trying to smear my name?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:29 am

jim5, don't necro old threads just to trash someone. and don't hash out any conflicts on this site - take it to PM if you have anything to work out.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”