LSAT personal tutors off CraigsList?

zeke
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:01 am

LSAT personal tutors off CraigsList?

Postby zeke » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:23 pm

(comments/no comments?)

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: LSAT personal tutors off CraigsList?

Postby mallard » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:25 pm

I work as one and I'm really, really good.

User avatar
Rocketman11
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:32 am

Re: LSAT personal tutors off CraigsList?

Postby Rocketman11 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:25 pm

mallard wrote:I work as one and I'm really, really good.


bow chicka wah wahhh

User avatar
tjb
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:19 am

Re: LSAT personal tutors off CraigsList?

Postby tjb » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:26 pm

Yes, if you're in NYC, you should find Laura Hirsch!! Amazing tutor that I found off of Craigslist. I only met her once a week for a month just to perfect my LR sections. She was very motivating & always questioned me to the point where I understood why I got something wrong before I asked her!! Amazing tutor 8) PM me if you're interested & in NYC area.

User avatar
tjb
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:19 am

Re: LSAT personal tutors off CraigsList?

Postby tjb » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:27 pm

mallard wrote:I work as one and I'm really, really good.


Hahaha, this did make me laugh as well. I'm sure you're good, Mallard :wink:

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: LSAT personal tutors off CraigsList?

Postby mallard » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:29 pm

Oh, that too.

But I was serious.

zeke
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:01 am

Re: LSAT personal tutors off CraigsList?

Postby zeke » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:40 pm

mallard, are you in NYC by any chance? And are you Powerscore Bible good? Or just good, good?

User avatar
tifania
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: LSAT personal tutors off CraigsList?

Postby tifania » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:59 pm

mallard wrote:Oh, that too.

But I was serious.


:P
Mallard, I need some help with flaw questions. They are my weak spot. Are you in So. Cal by any chance?
Last edited by tifania on Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: LSAT personal tutors off CraigsList?

Postby mallard » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:11 pm

tifania wrote:Cue the porn music!
:P
Mallard, I need some help with flaw questions. They are my weak spot. Are you in So. Cal by any chance?


Try doing a few untimed from older tests. Read the stimulus and then close your eyes. Do not read the answer choices. Think of the most instinctual and logical way you could attack the argument. Then open your eyes and see if any of the answer choices look like what you were thinking.

ohnowtf
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:05 am

Re: LSAT personal tutors off CraigsList?

Postby ohnowtf » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:15 pm

I am all about CL, so I would say give it a try if you feel you need a tutor. I have offered non-academic lessons on CL before, and it was a good experience. However, in order for it to succeed, both parties need to ask the right questions so they know what to expect, and you should not make long-term commitments at the onset. If you find a tutor that seems pretty respectable, try to just get an hour session at a reasonable price, and then if it turned out well ask for more, if it did not, find a different tutor.

User avatar
tifania
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: LSAT personal tutors off CraigsList?

Postby tifania » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:30 pm

mallard wrote:
tifania wrote:Cue the porn music!
:P
Mallard, I need some help with flaw questions. They are my weak spot. Are you in So. Cal by any chance?


Try doing a few untimed from older tests. Read the stimulus and then close your eyes. Do not read the answer choices. Think of the most instinctual and logical way you could attack the argument. Then open your eyes and see if any of the answer choices look like what you were thinking.


Thanks for the advice! It sounds like it does address the reason i get flaw questions wrong -I get distracted by attractive answer choices which do not address the "biggest" or "most important" flaw.
Pre-phasing an answer would help keep me on track... :wink:

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: LSAT personal tutors off CraigsList?

Postby mallard » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:33 pm

tifania wrote:
mallard wrote:
tifania wrote:Cue the porn music!
:P
Mallard, I need some help with flaw questions. They are my weak spot. Are you in So. Cal by any chance?


Try doing a few untimed from older tests. Read the stimulus and then close your eyes. Do not read the answer choices. Think of the most instinctual and logical way you could attack the argument. Then open your eyes and see if any of the answer choices look like what you were thinking.


Thanks for the advice! It sounds like it does address the reason i get flaw questions wrong -I get distracted by attractive answer choices which do not address the "biggest" or "most important" flaw.
Pre-phasing an answer would help keep me on track... :wink:


I am not a real fan of pre-phrasing when it comes to the test itself, or even necessarily a real preptest, but as a study tool it can really work, and probably flaw questions are where it's the most powerful.

User avatar
Dick Whitman
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:55 pm

Re: LSAT personal tutors off CraigsList?

Postby Dick Whitman » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:36 pm

Just don't get Ellis T. Jones'd.

--LinkRemoved--

Mark715
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:46 pm

Re: LSAT personal tutors off CraigsList?

Postby Mark715 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:42 pm

Just a side-note. If you are getting a tutor off of Craig's List, I strongly suggest that you ask for proof of their score on the LSAT.

User avatar
tifania
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: LSAT personal tutors off CraigsList?

Postby tifania » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:43 pm

mallard wrote:
tifania wrote:
mallard wrote:
tifania wrote:Cue the porn music!
:P
Mallard, I need some help with flaw questions. They are my weak spot. Are you in So. Cal by any chance?


Try doing a few untimed from older tests. Read the stimulus and then close your eyes. Do not read the answer choices. Think of the most instinctual and logical way you could attack the argument. Then open your eyes and see if any of the answer choices look like what you were thinking.


Thanks for the advice! It sounds like it does address the reason i get flaw questions wrong -I get distracted by attractive answer choices which do not address the "biggest" or "most important" flaw.
Pre-phasing an answer would help keep me on track... :wink:


I am not a real fan of pre-phrasing when it comes to the test itself, or even necessarily a real preptest, but as a study tool it can really work, and probably flaw questions are where it's the most powerful.


Agreed. I almost never pre-phase as i find it's far too time-consuming, but i think you are right re: its application for flaw questions. I'll usually find 2 - sometimes even 3 answer choices that identify a flaw. Choosing the most important and most relevant flaw posed difficulties for me, because of how attractive the detractor answer choices would sound. Pre-phasing would definitely help in such instances.

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: LSAT personal tutors off CraigsList?

Postby mallard » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:44 pm

Mark715 wrote:Just a side-note. If you are getting a tutor off of Craig's List, I strongly suggest that you ask for proof of their score on the LSAT.


Nobody's asked me this yet. I keep wanting them to. :(

zeke
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:01 am

Re: LSAT personal tutors off CraigsList?

Postby zeke » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:59 pm

mallard wrote:
Mark715 wrote:Just a side-note. If you are getting a tutor off of Craig's List, I strongly suggest that you ask for proof of their score on the LSAT.


Nobody's asked me this yet. I keep wanting them to. :(


yeah i guess that does sound like a reasonable q to ask.

User avatar
tjb
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:19 am

Re: LSAT personal tutors off CraigsList?

Postby tjb » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:01 pm

Mark715 wrote:Just a side-note. If you are getting a tutor off of Craig's List, I strongly suggest that you ask for proof of their score on the LSAT.


Yes, definitely agree on this one as well.

zeke
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:01 am

Re: LSAT personal tutors off CraigsList?

Postby zeke » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:15 pm

tjb wrote:
Mark715 wrote:Just a side-note. If you are getting a tutor off of Craig's List, I strongly suggest that you ask for proof of their score on the LSAT.


Yes, definitely agree on this one as well.


PS. I was just mass craiglisting to see the range of tutor fees and I emailed your tutor again without realizing, even though we already exchanged a few emails. Kind of embarrassing, one would say.

User avatar
tjb
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:19 am

Re: LSAT personal tutors off CraigsList?

Postby tjb » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:20 pm

zeke wrote:
tjb wrote:
Mark715 wrote:Just a side-note. If you are getting a tutor off of Craig's List, I strongly suggest that you ask for proof of their score on the LSAT.


Yes, definitely agree on this one as well.


PS. I was just mass craiglisting to see the range of tutor fees and I emailed your tutor again without realizing, even though we already exchanged a few emails. Kind of embarrassing, one would say.


I should tell you Zeke that I had contacted a few tutors off of CL in the NYC area--some of them were creepy flakes that wanted to meet me in scary places. I don't think you should pass on Laura--she helped me realize a lot of my errors & LR became a piece of cake (even though I might have only met her five times). She's young (graduated from UPenn in '05) & really down to earth. You'll feel comfortable studying with her. Hahaha, I'm not sure why I'm trying to sell her to you, but I feel really grateful that I studied with her leading up to the exam. She just simplifies everything!!

LSATjunkie
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:23 pm

Re: LSAT personal tutors off CraigsList?

Postby LSATjunkie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:50 pm

tjb wrote:
zeke wrote:
tjb wrote:
Mark715 wrote:Just a side-note. If you are getting a tutor off of Craig's List, I strongly suggest that you ask for proof of their score on the LSAT.


Yes, definitely agree on this one as well.


PS. I was just mass craiglisting to see the range of tutor fees and I emailed your tutor again without realizing, even though we already exchanged a few emails. Kind of embarrassing, one would say.


I should tell you Zeke that I had contacted a few tutors off of CL in the NYC area--some of them were creepy flakes that wanted to meet me in scary places. I don't think you should pass on Laura--she helped me realize a lot of my errors & LR became a piece of cake (even though I might have only met her five times). She's young (graduated from UPenn in '05) & really down to earth. You'll feel comfortable studying with her. Hahaha, I'm not sure why I'm trying to sell her to you, but I feel really grateful that I studied with her leading up to the exam. She just simplifies everything!!

What are her rates?

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: LSAT personal tutors off CraigsList?

Postby mallard » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:00 pm

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd go ahead and post that I am indeed in NYC and offer, for a genuinely limited time, lower rates than I've seen anybody else sporting. I come here for the community, not for clients, but if anybody is interested, I'm quite good at this, and I'm offering an even further discount (haven't decided quite what yet) to TLS posters.

Yours,
mallard

User avatar
flip side
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:38 am

Re: LSAT personal tutors off CraigsList?

Postby flip side » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:04 pm

if anyone's in the dc area, i used a great tutor in the district who i found off of craigs list. tell me if you want the name/info.

User avatar
SleekFire
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:13 pm

Re: LSAT personal tutors off CraigsList?

Postby SleekFire » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:21 pm

.
Last edited by SleekFire on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSATjunkee
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:54 am

Re: LSAT personal tutors off CraigsList?

Postby LSATjunkee » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:01 pm

Any brilliant craigslist LSAT tutors in southern california?

Also, what were they charging by the hour?

Thanks




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: #gobroncos, Anon.y.mousse., Baidu [Spider], GurleyGurleyGone, ngogirl12 and 18 guests