Question about 3 LSAT limit in 2 years. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
LawyerGuy

New

Question about 3 LSAT limit in 2 years.

Post by LawyerGuy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:49 am

How does it calculate? Lets say that I took 07 December, 08 October, and 08 December. Does my limit reset to 0 starting february 09, or do I have to wait until December 09?

crib

New

Re: Question about 3 LSAT limit in 2 years.

Post by crib » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:12 am

huh? The limit is 3 LSATs in any 2 year period. There is no re-setting.

NoamChomsky

New

Post by NoamChomsky » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:26 am

im pretty sure u have to wait till dec 09... although u can get a no name school to send in a letter saying they want u to take the next LSAT and that limitation is waived.. the problem is finding a school with such low self esteem ;)

Jonko

New

Post by Jonko » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:38 am

Wait I thought it was every five years? That's what Kaplan tells us at least...

joshisaac1000

New

Post by joshisaac1000 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:59 am

ok is it 5 years or 2 years?

... or 3 years?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:08 pm

Jonko wrote:Wait I thought it was every five years? That's what Kaplan tells us at least...
Its 2 years, Kaplan is retarded for more reasons than just this one.

lollypotter

New

Post by lollypotter » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:38 pm

er, i think any score older than five years is not reported. that's prob what kaplan is talking about. if you have two scores, over 5 years apart, the old one effectively disappears.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:40 pm

if you're flirting with the ceiling of how frequently you can take the LSAT, you need to reevaluate your strategy.

yesofcourse

New

Post by yesofcourse » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:03 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:if you're flirting with the ceiling of how frequently you can take the LSAT, you need to reevaluate your strategy.
I wouldn't give so much of a definitive answer to something like that. IN GENERAL you may be right, but there are plenty of things that could go wrong for one individual that is out of there control. You have no idea what the OP's reasons for re-taking are.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:09 pm

yesofcourse wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:if you're flirting with the ceiling of how frequently you can take the LSAT, you need to reevaluate your strategy.
I wouldn't give so much of a definitive answer to something like that. IN GENERAL you may be right, but there are plenty of things that could go wrong for one individual that is out of there control. You have no idea what the OP's reasons for re-taking are.
You're right I don't, but 4 retakes is out of this world. While anything is possible (parents die on test day 1, brother on test day 2, sister on test day 3), I just want to convey that if you're retaking that many times you need to stop and look at what you're doing. Maybe you just need to take a year off instead of taking every LSAT during a time of evident crisis.

yesofcourse

New

Post by yesofcourse » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:22 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
yesofcourse wrote:
You're right I don't, but 4 retakes is out of this world. While anything is possible (parents die on test day 1, brother on test day 2, sister on test day 3), I just want to convey that if you're retaking that many times you need to stop and look at what you're doing. Maybe you just need to take a year off instead of taking every LSAT during a time of evident crisis.
Perhaps, but I was thinking more along the lines of cancel/re-take worthy things happening during the test as opposed to outside happenings. You here plenty of BS stories all the time. Granted it is unlikely that something like this (i.e. cancel/re-take worthy things) will happen to the same person multiple times; but it is certainly possible that it could. And the cancel/re-take worthy happenings could very well be outside of the test takers control. If so, this would not seem to warrant a need to "reevaluate their strategy".

LawyerGuy

New

Post by LawyerGuy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:33 pm

First two times I had to cancel due to being really sick. 3rd time some idiot proctor didn't call 5 minute warning on one of my games so I couldn't bubble in everything on time. Are these good enough reasons for you?

yesofcourse

New

Post by yesofcourse » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:35 pm

LawyerGuy wrote:
First two times I had to cancel due to being really sick. 3rd time some idiot proctor didn't call 5 minute warning on one of my games so I couldn't bubble in everything on time. Are these good enough reasons for you?
I love it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:41 pm

LawyerGuy wrote:
Hey don't shoot the messenger here. I'm trying to give you advice. Do you know how many adcomms get addendums that use illness as an excuse? So you were sick. Twice. And the third time you didn't bring a watch.

That's what it looks like from a 3rd person perspective, and unfortunately when you solicit advice you aren't going to get a dozen roses from everyone patting you on the back.

lollypotter

New

Post by lollypotter » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:07 pm

LawyerGuy wrote:
Dude, if you cancel the day before the LSAT it isn't counted as a cancel, it's counted as a POSTPONE, which doesn't count. You could have canceled your first, fine, but coming up to your second if you knew you weren't well and you needed to do well, you should have postponed.

You also should have worn a watch by your third LSAT. The fact that you didn't prepare is not a good excuse for failure. In fact you should have read up on the canceling procedures after your first LSAT. No offense but even this post is evidence of your sloppy preparation. I don't mind answering but the fact you haven't called LSAC for a definitive answer or read this up on the LSAC website says a lot.

By the way, I have a postpone and a retake. Before I postponed I called LSAC and got a confirmation that it didn't count. I wouldn't have done it off the back of a few TLS posts. My retake was a I could have done better retake. No point blaming everyone but myself *cough cough*

Lets be honest - you thought you could fluke a good test and you didn't.

Rocketman is actually 100% right.

if you're flirting with the ceiling of how frequently you can take the LSAT, you need to reevaluate your strategy.
Note, he never said 'give up on law school', he said reevaluate strategy. Mind you, that defensiveness is working for you so well, maybe you shouldn't quit while you're ahead.

yesofcourse

New

Post by yesofcourse » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:12 pm

Thanks for revealing the objective truth for us lollypotter. It's a good thing you considered everything there was to consider before passing on this judgement; I mean objective truth. There is definitely nothing that you could come to find out about lawyerguy that would give you reason to qualify your statement.

lollypotter

New

Post by lollypotter » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:18 pm

yesofcourse wrote:Thanks for revealing the objective truth for us lollypotter. It's a good thing you considered everything there was to consider before passing on this judgement; I mean objective truth. There is definitely nothing that you could come to find out about lawyerguy that would give you reason to qualify your statement.
:roll:

is this building to some big reveal - I honestly don't care.

if lawyer guy thought it was important, maybe he should have put it in his post. And I'm not sure what would stop him wearing a watch but I'm sure you must know.

also, I don't think you understand the meaning of the word 'objective' but nice try.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:21 pm

+1

yesofcourse

New

Post by yesofcourse » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:22 pm

lollypotter wrote:
yesofcourse wrote:Thanks for revealing the objective truth for us lollypotter. It's a good thing you considered everything there was to consider before passing on this judgement; I mean objective truth. There is definitely nothing that you could come to find out about lawyerguy that would give you reason to qualify your statement.
:roll:

is this building to some big reveal - I honestly don't care.

if lawyer guy thought it was important, maybe he should have put it in his post. And I'm not sure what would stop him wearing a watch but I'm sure you must know.

also, I don't think you understand the meaning of the word 'objective' but nice try.
Ha ha ha ha. I would love it if you would be so kind to expand on the last comment.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:24 pm

Were you an OJ Simpson juror by any chance?

yesofcourse

New

Post by yesofcourse » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:25 pm

nathangimpel wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:if you're flirting with the ceiling of how frequently you can take the LSAT, you NEED to reevaluate your strategy.
+1
Wrong. It it most definitely be more appropriate to say....if you're flirting with the ceiling of how frequently you can take the LSAT, there is chance that you should reevaluate your strategy

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

muddywaters

Bronze

Post by muddywaters » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:34 pm

nathangimpel wrote:
+1
yep.

yesofcourse

New

Post by yesofcourse » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:41 pm

NEED is too strong. You're better than that muddywaters.

gpb19

New

Post by gpb19 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:56 pm

I cannot speak specifically to the process of someone reviewing a law school app, but I can put this in terms of a real life scenario.

Let's say I'm the supervisor of employee A. A has a critical meeting scheduled with a VIP, and twice A does poorly in meetings and had to reschedule with the VIP because A was ill (not so ill A absolutely had to stay in bed, mind you). The third time A forgot to bring a crucial document that the VIP also forgot, and A tells me it's not his fault that he failed to achieve the objectives of the meeting. Barring any legal reason I could not, I would likely fire A.

Maybe law school folks take more excuses than we do in corporate america, but I'm a bit skeptical.

rpj77

New

Post by rpj77 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:56 pm

I also have a question about this. I took the test in Feb. 07, Feb. 08 (165, 164) and just blew Dec. 08 (games disaster, likely leading to a 165-166). I would like to cancel my Dec. score and take the Feb. 09 test. I understand many of you feel like I'm an idiot for thinking I can get a better score if I take it AGAIN, but, I am just wondering if they will let me?

For reference, I think my score from the first two tests are fine, but I really studied this time and did great the last 10 PTs (all 170+). Even if they were still averaging, rather than taking the highest score (which most are not) a 172 would get me from a 164.5 to a 167, or the difference between being competitive at some schools I would like to go to or being automatically rejected. My personal view is that most admissions officers at the schools I want to go to will not look at me twice right now, so I don't think I really have a lot to lose by cancelling and putting a third score on there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”