Xanax - relieve test day anxiety?

JuryDueT1000

Xanax - relieve test day anxiety?

Postby JuryDueT1000 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:16 pm

Anybody have any experience taking anti-anxiety meds, or even stimulants (caffeine, ginseng, gingko) on test day?

FYI - before anyone starts calling me an idiot for taking xanax on test day, I'm just kidding!

hayman

Re: Xanax - relieve test day anxiety?

Postby hayman » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:18 pm

i don't ever feel different when taking ginseng or ginkgo. Monster drinks wakes me up tho.

Lyov Myshkin

Postby Lyov Myshkin » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:20 pm

bad bad idea. :shock:

that shit gets me very very high. there's no doubt that i'd have fun taking the lsat on xanax, that's for sure, but i'd also be drooling all over myself. i'd rather be on xanax when the score reports come in..

Lyov Myshkin

Postby Lyov Myshkin » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:21 pm

ChrisMike624 wrote:Anybody have any experience taking anti-anxiety meds, or even stimulants (caffeine, ginseng, gingko) on test day?

FYI - before anyone starts calling me an idiot for taking xanax on test day, I'm just kidding!

and this is why i fail at reading comp.. :(

JuryDueT1000

Postby JuryDueT1000 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:24 pm

hkfortytwo wrote:
ChrisMike624 wrote:Anybody have any experience taking anti-anxiety meds, or even stimulants (caffeine, ginseng, gingko) on test day?

and this is why i fail at reading comp.. :(

Haha, did get a good laugh though.

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:26 pm

I can't even keep my eyes open when I take xanax. How would you possibly take a test on it?

ilove

Postby ilove » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:37 pm

hkfortytwo wrote:bad bad idea. :shock:

that shit gets me very very high. there's no doubt that i'd have fun taking the lsat on xanax, that's for sure, but i'd also be drooling all over myself. i'd rather be on xanax when the score reports come in..

LMFAO. I can picture HK42 sitting in the corner giggling in his own pool of drool.

Lyov Myshkin

Postby Lyov Myshkin » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:38 pm

ilove wrote:
hkfortytwo wrote:bad bad idea. :shock:

LMFAO. I can picture HK42 sitting in the corner giggling in his own pool of drool.

good times.. :)

amyLAchemist

Postby amyLAchemist » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:43 pm

Let's avoid mood-altering drugs....

Lyov Myshkin

Postby Lyov Myshkin » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:44 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:Let's avoid mood-altering drugs....

while we're at it, why don't we just take the fun out of life?

teaadntoast

Postby teaadntoast » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:49 pm

Forever? :(

blhblahblah

Postby blhblahblah » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:50 pm

if you're going to take xanax, the least you can do is smoke it through a crack pipe.

LiveDukeorDie

Postby LiveDukeorDie » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:53 pm

Is it just me, or does it seem like too many people are taking xanax on this board?

amyLAchemist

Postby amyLAchemist » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:58 pm

LiveDukeorDie wrote:Is it just me, or does it seem like too many people are taking xanax on this board?

seriously. I know a lot of people who use/used Xanax and other benzodiazepines for recreational purposes. Coffee as a stimulant and some tea as something relaxing works alright for me. lol

teaadntoast

Postby teaadntoast » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:05 pm

teaadntoast wrote:

I've never taken Xanax - I just don't the daily bright spot that is my afternoon Coke to be taken away from me.

JuryDueT1000

Postby JuryDueT1000 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:05 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
LiveDukeorDie wrote:Is it just me, or does it seem like too many people are taking xanax on this board?

seriously. I know a lot of people who use/used Xanax and other benzodiazepines for recreational purposes. Coffee as a stimulant and some tea as something relaxing works alright for me. lol

You can be so dorky sometimes, Amy. Live a little.

amyLAchemist

Postby amyLAchemist » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:06 pm

teaadntoast wrote:
teaadntoast wrote:

I've never taken Xanax - I just don't the daily bright spot that is my afternoon Coke to be taken away from me.

LOL, I know that feeling. I think I would cease to exist if my morning coffee was taken away from me.

mike0802

Postby mike0802 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:21 pm

As strange as it sounds, there are some medications that offer anti-anxiety benefits similar to Xanex without the impairments (ie non-sedative and mininmal cognitive loss). BuSpar comes to mind. Usually takes about a week for someone to see the benefits, though...there are a few nonbenzodiazepines, as well, but I am not sure if any of them are approved. If you stutter, you could try getting in a clinical trial.

isaaca

Postby isaaca » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:28 pm

mike0802 wrote:As strange as it sounds, there are some medications that offer anti-anxiety benefits similar to Xanex without the impairments (ie non-sedative and mininmal cognitive loss). BuSpar comes to mind. Usually takes about a week for someone to see the benefits, though...there are a few nonbenzodiazepines, as well, but I am not sure if any of them are approved. If you stutter, you could try getting in a clinical trial.

What about spazzes like the OP at this posting http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41662. Can we be on trial if we randomly spaz and curse out loud?

scolonna

Postby scolonna » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:54 pm

Xanax...definently not, will only make you tired. However, I would suggest Adderall XR ... Try using it before your test date so you know how many mg to take. Since it is a stimulant and you are not used to the effects, you might get too wired. But it does make you concentrate and get more work done than anything else.

jr494949

Postby jr494949 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:01 pm

scolonna wrote:Xanax...definently not, will only make you tired. However, I would suggest Adderall XR ... Try using it before your test date so you know how many mg to take. Since it is a stimulant and you are not used to the effects, you might get too wired. But it does make you concentrate and get more work done than anything else.

Uh oh, someone mentioned Adderall.

playhero

Postby playhero » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:20 pm

Do it!

scolonna wrote:Xanax...definently not, will only make you tired. However, I would suggest Adderall XR ... Try using it before your test date so you know how many mg to take. Since it is a stimulant and you are not used to the effects, you might get too wired. But it does make you concentrate and get more work done than anything else.

:lol:

addendum boy

Postby addendum boy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:58 pm

I thought the crash from xanex takes place 5 hours after taking? There is also time released xanex. Any experiences?

I spoke to a doc about xanex and he said it effects peoples cognitive thinking skills differently.

It would be wise to administer before the test to see how you react to it. I sat down for the Dec 07 test while finishing grad school and I had an anxiety attack. Something I never really experienced before. Wet palms, racing heartbeat, couldn't focus for the life of me. I canceled that test, decided to take some time off, and now I am making a run for Dec 08.

Definitely don't ever want to experience what I felt that day.

monkeywrench

Postby monkeywrench » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:41 pm

im surprised with all these threads about cognition-enhancing drugs/supplements and no mention of nootropics

people are quick to jump on the adderrall train while there are legal (and more efficient) ways of achieving the desired effect (noops,meditation,exercise,etc.)

at this point october test takers would (probably) only impact their tests negatively with the intro of medication that havent been tested for side effects

or not, i have no idea :|

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:42 pm

Xanax is only going to help you if you are susceptible to panic or anxiety attacks. I mean, clinically, not just "omg like i'm sooo panicky!".

It won't do much for just being nervous. If that's your problem, learn to manage it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”