Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Deardevil

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Postby Deardevil » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:45 pm

WeightliftingThinker wrote:"3) Do each LGB section in order and work on the respective game types as you progress. For this I usually do 2-3 new games and 3 repeats every day, but it doesn't matter as long as you get it done. Try to keep some separation (24 hours+) between the first and second time you attempt a game."

I'm unclear as to what this means. 2-3 new games of the same type and 3 repeats of the same type and game?

If you've done one game yesterday, only redo that game after some time (24 hours is being suggested).
Apparently, pithypike did three games one day, then revisited those three the next day, adding two new ones in order to bump it up to five.
Then, the next day was those two from the day prior, and two new ones were added, etc.

WeightliftingThinker

Postby WeightliftingThinker » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:13 pm

Deardevil wrote:
WeightliftingThinker wrote:"3) Do each LGB section in order and work on the respective game types as you progress. For this I usually do 2-3 new games and 3 repeats every day, but it doesn't matter as long as you get it done. Try to keep some separation (24 hours+) between the first and second time you attempt a game."

I'm unclear as to what this means. 2-3 new games of the same type and 3 repeats of the same type and game?

If you've done one game yesterday, only redo that game after some time (24 hours is being suggested).
Apparently, pithypike did three games one day, then revisited those three the next day, adding two new ones in order to bump it up to five.
Then, the next day was those two from the day prior, and two new ones were added, etc.

I'm assuming those three games, as well as the two new ones, are all different.

For example, three different basic linear games followed by two advanced linear games.

Deardevil

Postby Deardevil » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:19 pm

WeightliftingThinker wrote:I'm assuming those three games, as well as the two new ones, are all different.

For example, three different basic linear games followed by two advanced linear games.

Not necessarily.

pithypike went in order, so linear, advanced linear, grouping, etc.
However, the ReChallenge at the end did mix everything up,
but until you're comfortable with the types first, I wouldn't suggest doing it.

You can do three basic and two advanced, but five grouping would be fine as long as two or three,
in staying consistent with this technique, are from the day before.

WeightliftingThinker

Postby WeightliftingThinker » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:24 pm

Deardevil wrote:
WeightliftingThinker wrote:I'm assuming those three games, as well as the two new ones, are all different.

Not necessarily.

pithypike went in order, so linear, advanced linear, grouping, etc.
However, the ReChallenge at the end did mix everything up,
but until you're comfortable with the types first, I wouldn't suggest doing it.

You can do three basic and two advanced, but five grouping would be fine as long as two or three,
in staying consistent with this technique, are from the day before.

Thanks.

By the way, there's no mention in the OP to review the game after completing it. Do you know what the consensus is on that?

Deardevil

Postby Deardevil » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:40 pm

WeightliftingThinker wrote:Thanks.

By the way, there's no mention in the OP to review the game after completing it. Do you know what the consensus is on that?

Are you at the level of timing?

I just go on to the next game after recording how long I take for the previous.
If I happen to go beyond my eight-minute limit, I would redo it on the spot;
maybe my diagram was wonky or I approached a question from a bad angle.

Reviewing right after a game doesn't seem a suitable route to take; I don't see the benefit.
You should jump straight to the next like you would on test day, building endurance.
Regardless, I think you should figure out what works best for you.

WeightliftingThinker

Postby WeightliftingThinker » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:03 pm

I have been following this guide for LG for at least a week. In my first try, I run out of time and make a few mistakes, but then do much better after a few more tries of the same game. I then move on to a new game. The problem is that this is happening on almost every new game. There are a few lessons I am learning, but they do not seem to translate into high speed and accuracy yet.

AimingHigher

Postby AimingHigher » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:27 am

Wow- this schedule is set up for the exact period of time (3 months) that I plan to study for my second LSAT. I will definitely use this, maybe with a few tweaks as per TLS1776's Thoughts on the LSAT. Thank you for the great advice!

camelia

Postby camelia » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:51 pm

This guide and the comments associated with it have been very helpful in beginning my LSAT preparation, so thank you! I have a quick question. I am interested in purchasing the Cambridge "by type" bundles that many people have suggested as a replacement for Kaplan Mastery. Based on my research on the Cambridge website and the TLS forums, it seems that these bundles are no longer available for purchase. Is there an ideal replacement for the Cambridge "by type" bundles? I am interested in using these bundles to drill by question type, if that helps. Thank you!

jagerbom79

Postby jagerbom79 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:48 am

camelia wrote:This guide and the comments associated with it have been very helpful in beginning my LSAT preparation, so thank you! I have a quick question. I am interested in purchasing the Cambridge "by type" bundles that many people have suggested as a replacement for Kaplan Mastery. Based on my research on the Cambridge website and the TLS forums, it seems that these bundles are no longer available for purchase. Is there an ideal replacement for the Cambridge "by type" bundles? I am interested in using these bundles to drill by question type, if that helps. Thank you!

Power score has two volumes of Game by Type and Question by Type books comparable to what Cambridge packets are. This is what I used and they are very helpful.

camelia

Postby camelia » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:39 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
camelia wrote:This guide and the comments associated with it have been very helpful in beginning my LSAT preparation, so thank you! I have a quick question. I am interested in purchasing the Cambridge "by type" bundles that many people have suggested as a replacement for Kaplan Mastery. Based on my research on the Cambridge website and the TLS forums, it seems that these bundles are no longer available for purchase. Is there an ideal replacement for the Cambridge "by type" bundles? I am interested in using these bundles to drill by question type, if that helps. Thank you!

Power score has two volumes of Game by Type and Question by Type books comparable to what Cambridge packets are. This is what I used and they are very helpful.

Thank you! I plan on ordering the PowerScore books. I'm trying to decide between volumes one and two. I'm leaning towards one because:

- All three books of volume one are available on Amazon
    - Volume one would allow me to save the higher numbered PTs for later in my studying
    - I don't already own any of PTs 1-20 in "10 Actual" book form (I own 29-38, which would be in volume two)

My only concern is that it may not be wise to begin my studying with the oldest PTs, since I've heard the test has changed at least somewhat in difficulty.

jagerbom79

Postby jagerbom79 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:15 pm

camelia wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:

Thank you! I plan on ordering the PowerScore books. I'm trying to decide between volumes one and two. I'm leaning towards one because:

- All three books of volume one are available on Amazon
    - Volume one would allow me to save the higher numbered PTs for later in my studying
    - I don't already own any of PTs 1-20 in "10 Actual" book form (I own 29-38, which would be in volume two)

My only concern is that it may not be wise to begin my studying with the oldest PTs, since I've heard the test has changed at least somewhat in difficulty.

Start with Volume I and if your prep allows complete II as well. By the end, you will definitely want to be prepping and PTing with the most recent tests, but def want to start out earlier. I think generally people Practice and Drill with PTs 1-40 and then PT 41+. And there is definitely an evolution in the LSATs history, but its not drastic where an LG on Test 1 is completely different than 50..Same foundational skills are required and 1-20 is great for a foundation/starting point.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”