Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Pneumonia

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Postby Pneumonia » Mon May 18, 2015 9:50 pm

You'll need more for drilling at least. 10 PTs is on the low side, but I guess enough for three months

Shcamz

Postby Shcamz » Tue May 26, 2015 10:14 am

Hey I came across this guide last night and have a question..

Which LG sections am I exactly photocopying?

Thanks!

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Tue May 26, 2015 2:06 pm

Shcamz wrote:Hey I came across this guide last night and have a question..

Which LG sections am I exactly photocopying?

Thanks!

3 copies each of games from PT's 1-38 (available as such from Cambridge LSAT). First set of copies, sort by type and do 4 at a time (untimed). Second set of copies, randomize and do 4 at a time (untimed). 3rd set of copies, randomize and do 4 at a time (35 minute timer).

If you want you can skip the second step and just go straight into timed, and do your 3rd set as 5-section, randomized, 35 minute timer (that's what i did). For anything you do timed, don't stop at 35 minutes if you're not done, but also don't count as "correct" anything you got after the 35 minutes were up.

dominicanguy12

Postby dominicanguy12 » Tue May 26, 2015 10:34 pm

I bought all of the Powerscore Bibles and am reading through them/doing the exercises as practice for the October LSAT. I started with RC because it was what I did worst on in my diagnostic, in which I got a 159.

I think I might finish all of them in about 1 month and then start with pithy pike's guide, specifically drilling LG and whatever else I am weak in.

Is this reading the entire bibles a waste of time? Should I be doing something better at this point? Im not sure if diving right in to LG would be helpful at this point.
Last edited by dominicanguy12 on Tue May 26, 2015 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tvu1986

Postby tvu1986 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:20 pm

dominicanguy12 wrote:
Is this reading the entire bibles a waste of time? Should I be doing something better at this point? Im not sure if diving right in to LG would be helpful at this point.

Read it all unless you have a solid foundation and can explain the basic gist of each section (which includes all the different types of logic games). But coming from me, I would not focus too much on critical reading because it's just something you cannot necessarily train. You should, therefore, focus more primarily on the parts which are definitely learnable (i.e. types of arguments, setting up logic games, etc...) and may not be your strong points.

I'm taking it in October and one thing that has helped me a lot is to map out your plan onto a wall calendar. This way you stick to your plan and if you deviate, at least you know what you missed the day you were either a) supposed to do a section, b) planned on doing but decided to focus more practice on one section, c) got lazy (like I do a lot of the time).

Good luck.

ltowns1

Postby ltowns1 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:15 pm

LisaMBA09 wrote:
pithypike wrote:Note: Feel free to PM me with questions, but do look through the thread first. I have gotten a dozen or so PMs with questions that were already answered below. Don't hesitate to message me if you have an unanswered question though - I'm happy to help.

Note from Ken: Pithypike, thank you for the excellent summary. Other members should feel free to add their study tips or advice as posts to this thread or PM Pithypike to add something to his posts.

You will need:
Kaplan Mastery (Kaplan's Big Orange Book is no longer available)
Powerscore Logic Games Bible
Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible
All 3 of the '10 More LSAT" series
PTs 45-54 (10)
Official LSAT SuperPrep
3 months (more or less - adjust to your rate of progress but do not try to cram)

LG:
You will need to divide LG into specific types (Grouping, Linear, and various subtypes) and work on them one after another in order to master the game type.
1) Make 3 photocopies of every LG
2) Separate them using the classification method of choice - Blueprint, Kaplan, etc. will all work but I prefer Powerscore
3) Do each LGB section in order and work on the respective game types as you progress. For this I usually do 2-3 new games and 3 repeats every day, but it doesn't matter as long as you get it done. Try to keep some separation (24 hours+) between the first and second time you attempt a game.

Repetition is crucial - after you have done a lot of games a lot of times anything they throw at you will seem elementary and routine.

LR:
Pretty simple really. Do the appropriate LRB section and then work through the corresponding chapter in Kaplan Mastery/Big Orange Book. I generally reviewed the LRB section thoroughly the first time, and then just read the summary of points and strategies at the start of the question set to refresh myself after that. Do up to 10 problems at each sitting and monitor which question types give you the most trouble. Review those questions heavily. If you're really motivated, cut out particularly troublesome questions for later review. I found that writing out explanations for question types I struggled with helped immensely.

RC:
This is the most difficult section to improve on. You have to develop a feel for what the passage as a whole is conveying while making sure not to miss small details that you could be tested on. I suggest developing a set of symbols that help you refer to specific points in the passage. For example, I place a 'C' next to the line in which a critical viewpoint is mentioned and underline the part of the passage indicating this viewpoint is critical. It doesn't matter what you use, as long as it helps you refer back to the passage. Many people suggest writing short summaries at the end of each paragraph, which can also be effective.

The only surefire way to improve on RC is to do as many as possible and develop your own personal system as you progress. Reading dense material, like science journals, The Economist, etc. can help as well, but working through as many passages is possible is undoubtedly the most effective tool. I can't vouch for the RC Bible as I never used it, but if it is comparable in quality to the LG and LR Bibles I would imagine it is a useful tool.

Month 1:
LG: (# of game type through PT 44-Powerscore Classification)
Basic Linear - Balanced (23)
Basic Linear - Overloaded (5)
Basic Linear - Underfunded (5)
Advanced Linear - Balanced (25)
Advanced Linear - Overloaded (4)
Advanced Linear - Underfunded (7)
Write down the exact time and your score at the top of each LG. Push yourself to finish faster the next 2 times you complete that LG. DO NOT sacrifice speed for accuracy though.

LR:
Follow the guide set out above for these question types

Assumption
Strengthen/Weaken
Flaw

RC:
Complete all 10 RC sections from the first '10 LSAT' book (untimed)
Three-Day Cycle:
1) RC Section
2) Review
3) Review

Remember, you have to be focusing on developing your own method for identifying relevant sections of the passage. When reviewing wrong answers, focus on what referents or symbols would have helped you find the correct answer within the passage. When reviewing correct answers, look for what helped you pick that choice out and find out what strategies are effective. This is just as important as reviewing wrong answers.

At this end of this month take PrepTest 'A' from the SuperPrep series - timed. Review the test heavily and read the explanation for every single question, not just the ones you got wrong. Hearing it straight from the horse's mouth can often be very useful and helps you get in the test maker's head.

Month 2
LG:
Grouping - Defined - Fixed - Balanced (10)
Grouping - Defined - Fixed - Overloaded (11)
Grouping - Defined - Fixed - Underfuned (5)
Grouping - Defined - Moving - Balanced (14)
Grouping - Defined - Moving - Overloaded (2)
Grouping - Partially Defined (9)
Grouping - Undefined (6)
Rare Game Types:
Grouping/Linear Combination (8)
Pattern Games (6)
Pure Sequencing (6) Note-much more common in modern games - pay attention
Mapping (3)
Circular Linearity (2)

LR:
Inference
Principle
Parallel
Paradox
Method of Argument
Main Point
Role of a Statement
Point at Issue

You should take at least 10, maybe a few more, timed LR sections during this month to start getting comfortable with timing. Continue to develop endurance and pacing. By the end of this month you should have an established and effective pacing system, i.e. 15 mins/15 questions. Do not be complacent. If you are finishing the section within 35 minutes consistently, knock off a few minutes and see how you do under pressure. You will likely be feeling a bit of pressure and nerves on test day, and this (+ studying in noisy conditions) can help mitigate any test day drop.

Don't use any of the SuperPrep tests or any test beyond 44, as you will be taking these in their entirety.

RC:
10 timed sections from the most recent '10 LSAT' book you bought. Use the same three day routine for month 1. Continue to develop your style of marking passages. Same story for RC as LR-if you're finishing comfortably shave off a few minutes.

During this month you should take PrepTest 'B' and 'C' (both timed) and review them heavily. I suggest taking B in the middle of the month and C at the end.

Month 3:
During this month you will focus exclusively on full , 5-section PrepTests.

Make 3 photocopies of each LG type for these tests as well. The style of games changed significantly after the June 2005 exam, and it is beneficial to repeat these newer LGs to get a feel for the new ways of phrasing rules and various other differences versus older games. Note: while new LG are easier, it is best to practice with the older ones so that you can truly master the appropriate concepts and be prepared for whatever they throw at you on test day.

Take PTs 45-54, in whatever order you prefer. Since the real exam will be 5 sections, you should add a fifth section (whichever you are weakest on) from older exams both to provide you with extra material and to build up endurance for the real thing.
Repeat this cycle:

1) PT
2) Review
3) Review

Until you have done all ten PTs. On the review days, redo the LGs and monitor which types of questions are tripping you up. Review the Bibles as needed.

Here's what another poster had to say on PT improvement and working toward test day:

lollypotter wrote:Rather than thinking of the LSAT as 30 prep tests to be gotten through, think of it as weaknesses to be eliminated. Every test is a snapshot of your weaknesses and you MUST address them. Going over the tests is crucial. DO NOT DO MULTIPLE TESTS without review. This is a waste of time and tests. The review is the part most people don't do. They rely on familiarity. They improve (on PTs) but in the cold light of the official test they panic, and then they start guessing. That's how people score crazily below their prep test average.

Lolly's right. Eliminate weaknesses, make everything second nature and let your instincts take over on test day. It's a rare tester who doesn't feel a bit of nerves during the real thing, so it is VITAL you hone these concepts until they are second nature.

HTH

Edits:

Link to T14's gametype classification (PS Method)
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... e#p1042536

Link to Kaplan Mastery on Amazon
--LinkRemoved-- ... 361&sr=8-1

Voyager's RC Guide
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... f=6&t=7240

LSATinator's Guide to Time Management
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... management

PowerScore Games Classification June 2003 -- Present
http://powerscore.com/gamesbible/content_game_info.cfm

Link to Useful LSD LSAT Prep Thread
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prel ... 881.0.html

I just want to thank you for providing such an in-depth list to work from! I don't care if you have extra time on your hands...this is useful.

I am a newbie and so far I have seen lots of snarky, self-entitled attitudes on this site...I don't care if everyone has Type-A personalities...(I do as well), there is still such a thing as manners and teamwork. Which I might add is what all major corporations want in their people...been there, doing that.
Thanks again.

+1...that still rings true today on this site!

Great study guide!

x.ross

Postby x.ross » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:04 pm

3) Do each LGB section in order and work on the respective game types as you progress. For this I usually do 2-3 new games and 3 repeats every day, but it doesn't matter as long as you get it done. Try to keep some separation (24 hours+) between the first and second time you attempt a game.

What does he mean by 2-3 new games and 3 repeats everyday?

Does he do a total of 6-9 new games everyday or he does the same 2-3 games 3 time everyday?

He says keep some separation in between games, but I don't quite understand what he means by this.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:50 pm

Not the same games.

x.ross

Postby x.ross » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:56 pm

Okay so he would do several new games everyday?

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:08 pm

x.ross wrote:Okay so he would do several new games everyday?

Yeah, you'll have something like 140 games total, so there's no need to hoard games; by the time you get through all of them you'll have forgotten the bulk of them. I'd say do sets of 4 games though, rather than 3.

x.ross

Postby x.ross » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:12 pm

Thank you very much!

Mr. Freeze

Postby Mr. Freeze » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:05 pm

So I think I have everything I need here to get started. Anyone have any other recommendations to add to the list?

Cambridge Logic Games by Type, Volume 1,2,3
The PowerScore LG and LR Bible
Three 10 actual lsat prep tests
lsat superprerp

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:11 pm

Mr. Freeze wrote:So I think I have everything I need here to get started. Anyone have any other recommendations to add to the list?

lsat superprerp

Looks solid.

Hoping4HLS

Postby Hoping4HLS » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:45 am

Mr. Freeze wrote:So I think I have everything I need here to get started. Anyone have any other recommendations to add to the list?

lsat superprerp

definitely enough to start you off.

RedRaider11

Postby RedRaider11 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:23 pm

I apologize in advance if this question has already been addressed in previous comments, but I am curious if anyone has had any experience with the LSAT Superprep II (which covers PT62 Dec '10, and PT63 June '11), and if this is recommended to be used in addition to the previous version?

Thanks

lizzielemon

Postby lizzielemon » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:45 pm

lsat superprerp

Where do I buy the Cambridge logic games by type?

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:46 pm

lizzielemon wrote:

lsat superprerp

You can get them on amazon

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:21 pm

lizzielemon wrote:

lsat superprerp

Seems like they are no longer available on the Cambridge LSAT site. That is unfortunate. It used to be that you could just download a PDF that included games-by-type. Since that no longer exists, I'll tell you what I did (another option would be to look around for digital copies of the old Cambridge PDFs).

First, purchase the first three books in the "10 LSATs" series from LSAT. This will get you 30 tests worth of games, or 120 games altogether. Second, rip the "games" out from the books and sort them by type. For help sorting by type, use this site: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/lo ... types.html . Third, make copies of the games. Now you'll have games by type!

Hope this helps!

lizzielemon

Postby lizzielemon » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:24 am

Pneumonia wrote:
lizzielemon wrote:

lsat superprerp

Seems like they are no longer available on the Cambridge LSAT site. That is unfortunate. It used to be that you could just download a PDF that included games-by-type. Since that no longer exists, I'll tell you what I did (another option would be to look around for digital copies of the old Cambridge PDFs).

First, purchase the first three books in the "10 LSATs" series from LSAT. This will get you 30 tests worth of games, or 120 games altogether. Second, rip the "games" out from the books and sort them by type. For help sorting by type, use this site: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/lo ... types.html . Third, make copies of the games. Now you'll have games by type!

Hope this helps!

I know, it isn't available anymore :( thanks for the advice! I think I'll just do that.

HiLine

Postby HiLine » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:54 am

BlackJack wrote:I think most people prep in the same way, regardless of whether you do the following consciously or unconsciously and whether you take a course or not.

Phase 1: Accuracy
You basically need to learn the theory of the LSAT and then do drills of a certain concept (whether it is LG/LR/RC) until you are accurate, untimed. Prep courses have the theory and questions already laid out for you. Self-preppers will need to buy the bibles, study them and photocopy and sort questions themselves. Some self-prep don't do drills and go straight to doing sections, albeit untimed. I think you'll reinforce the concepts better if you do drills while learning the theory.

Phase 2: Speed
Hopefully, you didn't use up all of the LSATs on drills and you have some whole sections you can do, timed. But only one section at a time. You are just now working on timing because hopefully, your accuracy and understanding of LSAT theory is sound.

Phase 3: Endurance
At this point, you should be able to finish any section in less than 35 minutes (with bubbling) and so you need to build endurance to be able to do 5 sections in a row.

That's the way I see it anyway.

This post changed my life.

UtopianCitizen

Postby UtopianCitizen » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:05 pm

Any update to this guide?

I'm following this as my main study guide for the September 24th LSATs and I have the most current POwerscore Bibles (2015) and I noticed some discrepancies between the study guide and the books:

1) The guide doesn't go in chapter order which is not a big issue at all, but I thought some people might find it useful to know in advance.
2) some of the question types in the LR Bible aren't noted in this guide those are:
Must Be True/ Most Strongly Supported
Conditional reasoning (This was a big one for me)
Cause and Effect Reasoning
Justify the Conclusion
Formal logic
Method of Reasoning
Numbers and Percentages
Evaluate the Argument
Cannot Be True
3) Inferences, as noted in this guide, isn't a specific section in the LR Bible.

I'm guessing PS changed names of question types or grouped/ungrouped some questions types, has anyone else encountered this or have a solution for it?

Thanks a million!

Barack O'Drama

Postby Barack O'Drama » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:33 am

UtopianCitizen wrote:Any update to this guide?

I'm following this as my main study guide for the September 24th LSATs and I have the most current POwerscore Bibles (2015) and I noticed some discrepancies between the study guide and the books:

1) The guide doesn't go in chapter order which is not a big issue at all, but I thought some people might find it useful to know in advance.
2) some of the question types in the LR Bible aren't noted in this guide those are:
Justify the Conclusion
Formal logic
Method of Reasoning
Numbers and Percentages
Evaluate the Argument
Cannot Be True
3) Inferences, as noted in this guide, isn't a specific section in the LR Bible.

I'm guessing PS changed names of question types or grouped/ungrouped some questions types, has anyone else encountered this or have a solution for it?

Thanks a million!

https://www.cambridgelsat.com/resources ... ion-types/

There ya go. That will help you translate the names that Powerscore uses.

UtopianCitizen

Postby UtopianCitizen » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:25 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:

Justify the Conclusion
Formal logic
Method of Reasoning
Numbers and Percentages
Evaluate the Argument
Cannot Be True

Thanks a million!

Thank you so much ! This saved me a lot of time and confusion.

Barack O'Drama

Postby Barack O'Drama » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:41 pm

UtopianCitizen wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

Justify the Conclusion
Formal logic
Method of Reasoning
Numbers and Percentages
Evaluate the Argument
Cannot Be True

Thanks a million!

Thank you so much ! This saved me a lot of time and confusion.

My pleasure!

WeightliftingThinker

Postby WeightliftingThinker » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:30 pm

"3) Do each LGB section in order and work on the respective game types as you progress. For this I usually do 2-3 new games and 3 repeats every day, but it doesn't matter as long as you get it done. Try to keep some separation (24 hours+) between the first and second time you attempt a game."

I'm unclear as to what this means. 2-3 new games of the same type and 3 repeats of the same type and game?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”