Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

sayan

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Postby sayan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:10 am

Some quick questions:

I noticed that the 1st LSAT prep book does not include test 8 and 17. Since the SuperPrep has 3 new tests, does it cover these older tests?

Also, there appear to be conflicting descriptions on the Mastery book. Does it divide all LR + LG questions into groups for every test up to 41?

In that case, are the LSAT prep tests purchased up to 41 only useful for RC?

Finally, do you think the newer LGB is superior to the older one considering the newer one has LG from recent tests? Wouldn't that spoil recent tests?

BTW, Pithy, your studying strategy really appears to be great. I'm aiming for a top score myself and it seems I'll be following your strategy over the 6 months prior to the June exam.

Did you take the test yet?

pithypike

Postby pithypike » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:15 pm

sayan wrote:Some quick questions:

I noticed that the 1st LSAT prep book does not include test 8 and 17. Since the SuperPrep has 3 new tests, does it cover these older tests?

Also, there appear to be conflicting descriptions on the Mastery book. Does it divide all LR + LG questions into groups for every test up to 41?

In that case, are the LSAT prep tests purchased up to 41 only useful for RC?

Finally, do you think the newer LGB is superior to the older one considering the newer one has LG from recent tests? Wouldn't that spoil recent tests?

BTW, Pithy, your studying strategy really appears to be great. I'm aiming for a top score myself and it seems I'll be following your strategy over the 6 months prior to the June exam.

Did you take the test yet?

SuperPrep contains previously unreleased February exams (1996, 1999 and 2000). The PTs missing from the first '10' book are from the early 90s, so no.

Kaplan Mastery separates LR, RC and LG by type, but it isn't even close to comprehensive. The first three '10 LSAT' books are used for all sections. LG-photocopies, LR/RC-full sections. You can master each LR type individually by working through the Mastery book, but to master the section you have to do full, timed sections.

Either LG book will be fine. As you noted, you would have to be sure not to take any LGs from 41 on, which could cut out a substantial chunk of some sections for the new LG Bible. I wouldn't know though, as I only used the old one.

I sat for the October exam and reached my goal.
Last edited by pithypike on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sayan

Postby sayan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:28 pm

I'm trying to get the Mastery book but craigslist and ebay don't have it. Barnes & Noble apparently doesn't have it and amazon has 1 that takes 3-6 weeks to ship to Canada :(

Is there any other way to classify the LR questions by type without having to look at every single question and figuring it out (thus partially spoiling the question)?

Postby 181 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:55 pm

Pithy: I'm taking in June 09, and already have some RC and LR study under my belt. I really like your plan, especially the LG, and will use it as I now begin LG. First, what are your thoughts on studying in blocks of material, rather than (how your plan does it) incorporating all 3 (LG, RC, LR) at once?

Also, since I've got 5 months (Jan-May) to study, would use simply tack on a Prep class at the end of your 3 month plan? Or still save the recent PTs for end of May? I'm worried about peaking at the wrong time, etc. Other thoughts?

Thanks again for all your advice

mycousinvinny

Postby mycousinvinny » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:21 pm

sayan wrote:I'm trying to get the Mastery book but craigslist and ebay don't have it. Barnes & Noble apparently doesn't have it and amazon has 1 that takes 3-6 weeks to ship to Canada :(

Is there any other way to classify the LR questions by type without having to look at every single question and figuring it out (thus partially spoiling the question)?

http://www.test-preparation.net/lsat_test.html

up to PT50

pithypike

Postby pithypike » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:34 am

Bump for February testers. PM me with any questions, though many are answered within the thread.

Lawyered

Postby Lawyered » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:57 am

Last edited by Lawyered on Wed May 20, 2009 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

unknow4871

Postby unknow4871 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:12 pm

Pithypike, this is great! I've added it to Some Useful LSAT and Law School Admissions Links

Lyov Myshkin

Postby Lyov Myshkin » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:57 am

my god, you got stickied. that's gotta be an achievement rarer than the 180.

bluehen

Postby bluehen » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:47 pm

I would definately mention being stickied here on all your apps under the significant award section of your resume...

pithypike

Postby pithypike » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:52 pm

I regret EDing at UVA now.....this would definitely have put me over the top at HYS

Scythron

Postby Scythron » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:34 pm

Pithypike, I love your study plan. I'm planning on taking the September '09 LSAT but I feel if I follow your plan I'll run out of material months before I take it in September. What changes would you make for someone who's starting 7-8 months in advance? I feel that I need the extra time so I can score in the 170+ range. I took an untimed diagnostic at the end of December and scored a 152. Is a 170+ realistic and what changes should I make to lengthen your study plan.

pithypike

Postby pithypike » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:07 pm

You can split up the first two months into "stages" and prorate those stages into however much time you have available. I would not suggest taking this further than two months per stage, and it is mandatory that you complete the PT month (third month) in about 30 days, maybe a little bit more. During the final month you are trying to establish a rhythm and figure out what works for you on full length tests, so taking them too far apart can be detrimental.

In your case I would suggest you start using other methods to prepare your brain for the LSAT before you actually begin looking at LSAT material. Start reading Scientific American, The Economist, and other such dense material. You may also want to pick up a good book on informal logic, which you can find by doing a few simple searches on this forum.

Frankly, I wouldn't start looking at real LSAT material until 5, MAYBE 6 months before the actual exam, and both of the above suggestions will certainly help train your mind for the sort of thinking necessary to score well.

scaredstiff165

Postby scaredstiff165 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:58 pm

Thanks for your help, Pithypike! I read this thread religiously!

Quick question, does anyone have the answer key for PT 40?

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:40 am

you wrote: I suggest developing a set of symbols that help you refer to specific points in the passage. For example, I place a 'C' next to the line in which a critical viewpoint is mentioned and underline the part of the passage indicating this viewpoint is critical

I suggest never writing any letters A through E as a symbol anywhere on your sheet. It is a small thing but it can lead to one wrong answer that might not have otherwise occurred. If, for example, you are struggling with a passage and decide to come back to it later, it is easy to lose track of time, flip back at the last minute and fill in C because you wrote C plainly in the margin, when in fact you had actually narrowed the choices down to A or E. I made this error on a practice test once.

Jerry

pithypike

Postby pithypike » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:06 pm

MURPH wrote:you wrote: I suggest developing a set of symbols that help you refer to specific points in the passage. For example, I place a 'C' next to the line in which a critical viewpoint is mentioned and underline the part of the passage indicating this viewpoint is critical

I suggest never writing any letters A through E as a symbol anywhere on your sheet. It is a small thing but it can lead to one wrong answer that might not have otherwise occurred. If, for example, you are struggling with a passage and decide to come back to it later, it is easy to lose track of time, flip back at the last minute and fill in C because you wrote C plainly in the margin, when in fact you had actually narrowed the choices down to A or E. I made this error on a practice test once.

Jerry

I don't understand why you would think a referent next to the passage would be the correct answer for a question. Is it some subconscious thing?

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:21 am

>I don't understand why you would think a referent next to the passage would be the correct answer for a question. Is it some subconscious thing?

It isn't really a subconscious thing. Imagine the passage is on the left side of the page and the questions on the right. I write notes and symbols for things on the left and right, above and in between paragraphs. So if I write "C" to symbolize conclusion to the right of the passage but the left of some question, then later skip that question because it is too hard, then a few minutes later when I go back to fill in the answers at the last minute I may fill in "C". It isn't subconscious. It is because I am rushed to make sure all the answers are filled in. I may or may not have the 15 seconds needed to remind myself what the question was all about.

The symbols are more important in the LR section where the passage and the answers are closer together. But you probably don't want different symbols in different sections if you can avoid them.

Jerry

MlhopeTC

Postby MlhopeTC » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:24 am

Your link to the Kaplan Mastery book in the original post is messed up, but I found this on Amazon. It doesn't have a picture but this must be the book right? Just wanted to check before I bought it, thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 7&v=glance

FreeGuy

Postby FreeGuy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:27 pm

Yes, that's one option, but the third search result here has cheaper options.

See Kaplan Mastery LSAT on Amazon.

MlhopeTC

Postby MlhopeTC » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:43 pm

FreeGuy wrote:Yes, that's one option, but the third search result here has cheaper options.

See Kaplan Mastery LSAT on Amazon.

The third listing down is a softcover with only 481 pages while the other one has 700 something. What is the difference between those two?

I just assumed the one that said 2008 (and cost $15) was the more updated version

FreeGuy

Postby FreeGuy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:14 pm

Sorry, I meant to say fifth listing (2006 edition). As far as I know, there's no difference between 2006 and 2008 Mastery editions. Looks like the cheapest copies of the 2006 edition sold already, so stick with the second listing (2008 edition) for $15.

The third listing is Mastery Homework (that's why it's much shorter). You want Mastery Practice.

somethingclever

Postby somethingclever » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:20 pm

Unless i'm reading it wrong, the only time this guide references the Kaplan Mastery book is during the logical reasoning section. Is there some advantage to using both the KM and LRB? Is using only the LRB just as effective? It seems like the two methods might get mixed up in your head as you go through.

Thoughts?

LisaMBA09

Postby LisaMBA09 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:29 pm

pithypike wrote:Note: Feel free to PM me with questions, but do look through the thread first. I have gotten a dozen or so PMs with questions that were already answered below. Don't hesitate to message me if you have an unanswered question though - I'm happy to help.

Note from Ken: Pithypike, thank you for the excellent summary. Other members should feel free to add their study tips or advice as posts to this thread or PM Pithypike to add something to his posts.

You will need:
Kaplan Mastery (Kaplan's Big Orange Book is no longer available)
Powerscore Logic Games Bible
Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible
All 3 of the '10 More LSAT" series
PTs 45-54 (10)
Official LSAT SuperPrep
3 months (more or less - adjust to your rate of progress but do not try to cram)

LG:
You will need to divide LG into specific types (Grouping, Linear, and various subtypes) and work on them one after another in order to master the game type.
1) Make 3 photocopies of every LG
2) Separate them using the classification method of choice - Blueprint, Kaplan, etc. will all work but I prefer Powerscore
3) Do each LGB section in order and work on the respective game types as you progress. For this I usually do 2-3 new games and 3 repeats every day, but it doesn't matter as long as you get it done. Try to keep some separation (24 hours+) between the first and second time you attempt a game.

Repetition is crucial - after you have done a lot of games a lot of times anything they throw at you will seem elementary and routine.

LR:
Pretty simple really. Do the appropriate LRB section and then work through the corresponding chapter in Kaplan Mastery/Big Orange Book. I generally reviewed the LRB section thoroughly the first time, and then just read the summary of points and strategies at the start of the question set to refresh myself after that. Do up to 10 problems at each sitting and monitor which question types give you the most trouble. Review those questions heavily. If you're really motivated, cut out particularly troublesome questions for later review. I found that writing out explanations for question types I struggled with helped immensely.

RC:
This is the most difficult section to improve on. You have to develop a feel for what the passage as a whole is conveying while making sure not to miss small details that you could be tested on. I suggest developing a set of symbols that help you refer to specific points in the passage. For example, I place a 'C' next to the line in which a critical viewpoint is mentioned and underline the part of the passage indicating this viewpoint is critical. It doesn't matter what you use, as long as it helps you refer back to the passage. Many people suggest writing short summaries at the end of each paragraph, which can also be effective.

The only surefire way to improve on RC is to do as many as possible and develop your own personal system as you progress. Reading dense material, like science journals, The Economist, etc. can help as well, but working through as many passages is possible is undoubtedly the most effective tool. I can't vouch for the RC Bible as I never used it, but if it is comparable in quality to the LG and LR Bibles I would imagine it is a useful tool.

Month 1:
LG: (# of game type through PT 44-Powerscore Classification)
Basic Linear - Balanced (23)
Basic Linear - Overloaded (5)
Basic Linear - Underfunded (5)
Advanced Linear - Balanced (25)
Advanced Linear - Overloaded (4)
Advanced Linear - Underfunded (7)
Write down the exact time and your score at the top of each LG. Push yourself to finish faster the next 2 times you complete that LG. DO NOT sacrifice speed for accuracy though.

LR:
Follow the guide set out above for these question types

Assumption
Strengthen/Weaken
Flaw

RC:
Complete all 10 RC sections from the first '10 LSAT' book (untimed)
Three-Day Cycle:
1) RC Section
2) Review
3) Review

Remember, you have to be focusing on developing your own method for identifying relevant sections of the passage. When reviewing wrong answers, focus on what referents or symbols would have helped you find the correct answer within the passage. When reviewing correct answers, look for what helped you pick that choice out and find out what strategies are effective. This is just as important as reviewing wrong answers.

At this end of this month take PrepTest 'A' from the SuperPrep series - timed. Review the test heavily and read the explanation for every single question, not just the ones you got wrong. Hearing it straight from the horse's mouth can often be very useful and helps you get in the test maker's head.

Month 2
LG:
Grouping - Defined - Fixed - Balanced (10)
Grouping - Defined - Fixed - Overloaded (11)
Grouping - Defined - Fixed - Underfuned (5)
Grouping - Defined - Moving - Balanced (14)
Grouping - Defined - Moving - Overloaded (2)
Grouping - Partially Defined (9)
Grouping - Undefined (6)
Rare Game Types:
Grouping/Linear Combination (8)
Pattern Games (6)
Pure Sequencing (6) Note-much more common in modern games - pay attention
Mapping (3)
Circular Linearity (2)

LR:
Inference
Principle
Parallel
Paradox
Method of Argument
Main Point
Role of a Statement
Point at Issue

You should take at least 10, maybe a few more, timed LR sections during this month to start getting comfortable with timing. Continue to develop endurance and pacing. By the end of this month you should have an established and effective pacing system, i.e. 15 mins/15 questions. Do not be complacent. If you are finishing the section within 35 minutes consistently, knock off a few minutes and see how you do under pressure. You will likely be feeling a bit of pressure and nerves on test day, and this (+ studying in noisy conditions) can help mitigate any test day drop.

Don't use any of the SuperPrep tests or any test beyond 44, as you will be taking these in their entirety.

RC:
10 timed sections from the most recent '10 LSAT' book you bought. Use the same three day routine for month 1. Continue to develop your style of marking passages. Same story for RC as LR-if you're finishing comfortably shave off a few minutes.

During this month you should take PrepTest 'B' and 'C' (both timed) and review them heavily. I suggest taking B in the middle of the month and C at the end.

Month 3:
During this month you will focus exclusively on full , 5-section PrepTests.

Make 3 photocopies of each LG type for these tests as well. The style of games changed significantly after the June 2005 exam, and it is beneficial to repeat these newer LGs to get a feel for the new ways of phrasing rules and various other differences versus older games. Note: while new LG are easier, it is best to practice with the older ones so that you can truly master the appropriate concepts and be prepared for whatever they throw at you on test day.

Take PTs 45-54, in whatever order you prefer. Since the real exam will be 5 sections, you should add a fifth section (whichever you are weakest on) from older exams both to provide you with extra material and to build up endurance for the real thing.
Repeat this cycle:

1) PT
2) Review
3) Review

Until you have done all ten PTs. On the review days, redo the LGs and monitor which types of questions are tripping you up. Review the Bibles as needed.

Here's what another poster had to say on PT improvement and working toward test day:

lollypotter wrote:Rather than thinking of the LSAT as 30 prep tests to be gotten through, think of it as weaknesses to be eliminated. Every test is a snapshot of your weaknesses and you MUST address them. Going over the tests is crucial. DO NOT DO MULTIPLE TESTS without review. This is a waste of time and tests. The review is the part most people don't do. They rely on familiarity. They improve (on PTs) but in the cold light of the official test they panic, and then they start guessing. That's how people score crazily below their prep test average.

Lolly's right. Eliminate weaknesses, make everything second nature and let your instincts take over on test day. It's a rare tester who doesn't feel a bit of nerves during the real thing, so it is VITAL you hone these concepts until they are second nature.

HTH

Edits:

Link to T14's gametype classification (PS Method)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50657&p=1042536&hilit=pithypike#p1042536

Link to Kaplan Mastery on Amazon
--LinkRemoved-- ... 361&sr=8-1

Voyager's RC Guide
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7240

LSATinator's Guide to Time Management
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35546&hilit=lsatinator+time+management

PowerScore Games Classification June 2003 -- Present
http://powerscore.com/gamesbible/content_game_info.cfm

Link to Useful LSD LSAT Prep Thread
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prel ... 881.0.html

I just want to thank you for providing such an in-depth list to work from! I don't care if you have extra time on your hands...this is useful.

I am a newbie and so far I have seen lots of snarky, self-entitled attitudes on this site...I don't care if everyone has Type-A personalities...(I do as well), there is still such a thing as manners and teamwork. Which I might add is what all major corporations want in their people...been there, doing that.
Thanks again.

pithypike

Postby pithypike » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:29 pm

somethingclever wrote:Unless i'm reading it wrong, the only time this guide references the Kaplan Mastery book is during the logical reasoning section. Is there some advantage to using both the KM and LRB? Is using only the LRB just as effective? It seems like the two methods might get mixed up in your head as you go through.

Thoughts?

I used the Mastery book entirely for separating LR question types. I didn't read any of the explanations.

sayan

Postby sayan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:16 am

hey pithy I have a quick question.

you list in paranthesis the number of different logic games you used to study for a certain type (i.e., Linear Balanced (23)) but when referencing T14's list, he comes up short on every type by 1-5 games.

is it possible for you to fill in the missing games or hint at where you got the extra games besides the ones listed?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”