Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

LSAT Blog

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Postby LSAT Blog » Fri May 25, 2012 9:13 am

CPAn00b wrote:How do you guys handle games that you just didnt get the first time around. I've completed the logic bible and am doing drills now from the PTs and occasionally come across a problem I am having difficulty setting up/drawing inferences.

Sure you have the right answers at the end of the test booklet but theres no explanations of how a proper set up should be ect? Do you somehow just work backwards with the answers? Or there any explanatory materials for the prep tests?

LSAC's SuperPrep includes detailed explanations for every question in those exams (Feb 1996, Feb 1999, and Feb 2000), but even those don't include much of anything in the way of diagrams.

Working backwards from the answers isn't the best way to learn for Logic Games, as this doesn't give you an efficient approach. Better to make sure you have a solid main diagram and understanding of the rules, as well as some inferences, before jumping into the game.

I've got a variety of explanations for PT19 and up. Here are some free ones for Logic Games in recent exams.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Fri May 25, 2012 9:17 am

jonjon1324 wrote:I'm very confused as to how Pithypike is dividing the LG categories. He says the categories are:

Basic Linear - Balanced (23)
Basic Linear - Overloaded (5)
Basic Linear - Underfunded (5)
Advanced Linear - Balanced (25)
Advanced Linear - Overloaded (4)
Advanced Linear - Underfunded (7)
Grouping - Defined - Fixed - Balanced (10)
Grouping - Defined - Fixed - Overloaded (11)
Grouping - Defined - Fixed - Underfuned (5)
Grouping - Defined - Moving - Balanced (14)
Grouping - Defined - Moving - Overloaded (2)
Grouping - Partially Defined (9)
Grouping - Undefined (6)
Rare Game Types:
Grouping/Linear Combination (8)
Pattern Games (6)
Pure Sequencing (6) Note-much more common in modern games - pay attention
Mapping (3)
Circular Linearity (2)

Then he says to ") Do each LGB section in order and work on the respective game types as you progress. "

I don't understand what he means by "Respective" games. For example, the first section of the LGB is "Rule Origin"...but he doesn't list "Rule Origin" as one of the LG classifications, so how do I know what Logic Games to work on for this section? The same applies to Question Stem and Two Rule Inference..

Can somebody explain this to me?

He's suggesting that you complete the chapter about Basic Linear Logic Games, then complete the Logic Games of that type (Basic Linear).

Check the table of contents to find the chapters corresponding to those game types. The sections you described aren't about different game types - they're more general (introductory stuff). As such, there won't be any specific Logic Games corresponding to them in pithy's plan.

jonjon1324

Postby jonjon1324 » Fri May 25, 2012 12:19 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:
jonjon1324 wrote:I'm very confused as to how Pithypike is dividing the LG categories. He says the categories are:

Basic Linear - Balanced (23)
Basic Linear - Overloaded (5)
Basic Linear - Underfunded (5)
Advanced Linear - Balanced (25)
Advanced Linear - Overloaded (4)
Advanced Linear - Underfunded (7)
Grouping - Defined - Fixed - Balanced (10)
Grouping - Defined - Fixed - Overloaded (11)
Grouping - Defined - Fixed - Underfuned (5)
Grouping - Defined - Moving - Balanced (14)
Grouping - Defined - Moving - Overloaded (2)
Grouping - Partially Defined (9)
Grouping - Undefined (6)
Rare Game Types:
Grouping/Linear Combination (8)
Pattern Games (6)
Pure Sequencing (6) Note-much more common in modern games - pay attention
Mapping (3)
Circular Linearity (2)

Then he says to ") Do each LGB section in order and work on the respective game types as you progress. "

I don't understand what he means by "Respective" games. For example, the first section of the LGB is "Rule Origin"...but he doesn't list "Rule Origin" as one of the LG classifications, so how do I know what Logic Games to work on for this section? The same applies to Question Stem and Two Rule Inference..

Can somebody explain this to me?

He's suggesting that you complete the chapter about Basic Linear Logic Games, then complete the Logic Games of that type (Basic Linear).

Check the table of contents to find the chapters corresponding to those game types. The sections you described aren't about different game types - they're more general (introductory stuff). As such, there won't be any specific Logic Games corresponding to them in pithy's plan.

So I shouldn't do those sections at all, or I should do them, just not expect to have any corresponding games to go along with them? And is it normal for the "chapters" to be 2 pages long?

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Fri May 25, 2012 5:28 pm

jonjon1324 wrote:So I shouldn't do those sections at all, or I should do them, just not expect to have any corresponding games to go along with them?

It's pithy's plan, but I suspect that he intended the latter.

jonjon1324 wrote:And is it normal for the "chapters" to be 2 pages long?

Some of the chapters in that book are far longer.

crazi4law

Postby crazi4law » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:47 am

I am planning to start pithy's study plan next week, but have one concern:

Since all the LG and LR examples in the LGB and LGB are from actual PrepTests that I plan on taking in the future, wouldn't the fact that I have done many of the problems in the PrepTests before, make my PT scores inaccurate?

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:31 am

crazi4law wrote:I am planning to start pithy's study plan next week, but have one concern:

Since all the LG and LR examples in the LGB and LGB are from actual PrepTests that I plan on taking in the future, wouldn't the fact that I have done many of the problems in the PrepTests before, make my PT scores inaccurate?

There really aren't too many questions in the book in relation to all of the ones you'll be doing, it's negligible

automaticfortheppl

Postby automaticfortheppl » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:18 pm

I thought the same thing, so this is what I did:

-made a list of PTs I had
-look in appendix to see which PTs the bibles took questions from
-took the PTs that had the most questions found in bibles first

For example, my LR bible has an inordinate number of questions from PT42 so that was one of the first tests I took when I started my daily PT regiment. Although my initial scores were probably artificially bloated to a degree from doing this, I found that this actually helped me in other tests because it reinforced what I had read in the bible (I've been reading bible and taking PTs simultaneously).

lynch

Postby lynch » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:45 am

thank you on this outline it can really help me a lot thanks and of course i will use this as a guide.

Aequitas_

Postby Aequitas_ » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:09 am

Going to give this a shot come summertime if I don't take a prep course.

TDragon

Postby TDragon » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:06 pm

OK I have 3 months till the October LSAT

So is this format more recommended than reading say.... the LG bible month 1, LR bible month 2, RC bible month 3? It is better to absorb all three books per month for 3 months instead of 1 book per month correct?

totalmajor

Postby totalmajor » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:48 pm

I don't know if this is posted anywhere but does anyone have these classifications for ALL PT's? The Powerscore website only lists stuff from 40-on

Thanks

pdeturk

Postby pdeturk » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:55 pm

totalmajor wrote:I don't know if this is posted anywhere but does anyone have these classifications for ALL PT's? The Powerscore website only lists stuff from 40-on

Thanks

page 1 of this thread

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50657&p=1042536&hilit=pithypike#p1042536

tinashe

Postby tinashe » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:45 pm

Hey I started studying last week using this guide and I have a question about timing. When exactly do people start timing?Im finding that I can usually get -0 or -1 on LR and LG but when it's not timed. It takes me about an hour to hour and a half to do them though and when I time I get like -10 to -15 per section (mostly because I guess the whole second half of the section).
What should I do, that is, should I leave timing until o have gotten through the bibles?
And is this normal to take so long on the sections?

tmon

Postby tmon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:51 pm

tinashe wrote:Hey I started studying last week using this guide and I have a question about timing. When exactly do people start timing?Im finding that I can usually get -0 or -1 on LR and LG but when it's not timed. It takes me about an hour to hour and a half to do them though and when I time I get like -10 to -15 per section (mostly because I guess the whole second half of the section).
What should I do, that is, should I leave timing until o have gotten through the bibles?
And is this normal to take so long on the sections?

You should be focusing on accuracy for the majority of your study time, IMO, but with an eye toward timing. When you're starting out your only goal should be getting 100% of the questions you do right, and from there after a while you can start focusing more on timing. If your accuracy's already pretty solid untimed, keep working at the same stuff, but look for ways to cut down on time. Your scores make me think that you're missing inferences and maybe you should focus on finding those rather than doing hypotheticals, which eat a lot of time.

b33eazy

Postby b33eazy » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:49 pm

Okay, I have a question I have been studying the Powerscore Logic Games and Logical Reasoning Bible at the same time.. Is that okay? I'm taking notes, etc...

tmon

Postby tmon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:51 pm

b33eazy wrote:Okay, I have a question I have been studying the Powerscore Logic Games and Logical Reasoning Bible at the same time.. Is that okay? I'm taking notes, etc...

Totally fine, and maybe even recommendable. I found focusing more on implementing the strategies via practice rather than taking notes more helpful though, FYI.

jjrialva

Postby jjrialva » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:20 pm

Is the Kaplan Mastery practice book on this guide only used to practice LR? or does it also include all the LG divided into categories.

MauveT-Rex

Postby MauveT-Rex » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:22 pm

jjrialva wrote:Is the Kaplan Mastery practice book on this guide only used to practice LR? or does it also include all the LG divided into categories.

No not all. I have the Kaplan Mastery and the Kaplan Big Orange book and they both divide LG's up into sections but each book only includes about 25 games each.

MauveT-Rex

Postby MauveT-Rex » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:25 pm

jjrialva wrote:Is the Kaplan Mastery practice book on this guide only used to practice LR? or does it also include all the LG divided into categories.

You can find all logic games from PT1-65 (pdf form) available through Cambridge in a bundle for $75 if you're interested. http://www.cambridgelsat.com/product/lsat/by_bundle/83

beautyistruth

Postby beautyistruth » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:15 pm

Been meaning to ask, is there a particular reason for the way you've divided logical reasoning question types between Month 1 and Month 2?

Oscar85

Postby Oscar85 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:03 pm

I can't find that Kaplan book you list... Did you suggest another? Don't really feel like going through seventeen pages of information to find out lol.

MauveT-Rex

Postby MauveT-Rex » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:01 pm

Oscar85 wrote:I can't find that Kaplan book you list... Did you suggest another? Don't really feel like going through seventeen pages of information to find out lol.

Seen a lot of people have problems finding the Kaplan books listed, not sure why, amazon always seems to have a few of each available at all times. Here's the orange, http://www.amazon.com/The-Orange-Book-R ... range+book

Here's mastery, http://www.amazon.com/LSAT-Mastery-Prac ... an+mastery

ams212

Postby ams212 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:04 pm

Tag

latinomike

Postby latinomike » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:23 am

Do you recommend following this study guide for the next 3 months? If it is legit, then I will buy the materials and follow the instructions?
Also, do you recommend following this study guide while taking a blueprint course?

pithypike

Postby pithypike » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:46 am

Glad to see this has been so useful for you all.

Apologies for stopping responding to PMs or Qs in the thread. Got a bit busy with the whole law school thing. I hope this was helpful anyway.

Best of luck to everybody in their LSAT prep.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”