Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
User avatar
hotdog123

Bronze
Posts: 400
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:15 am

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Postby hotdog123 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:47 am

if anyone is interested i'm selling my completely unused LSAT study materials that I gathered from the guide posted in this thread.

contents:

Power Score Logic Games Bible
Power Score Logical Reasoning Bible
Power Score Reading Comprehension Bible

The Official LSAT Super Prep

Kaplan LSAT Advanced

10 Actual Official LSAT Prep Tests
10 More Actual Official LSAT Prep Tests
The Next 10 Actual Official LSAT Prep Tests

Official LSAT Prep Tests # 47, 50, 52, 53, 54

Asking $300 for the entire package... NOT selling individual parts. Thanks!

T14orBust

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Postby T14orBust » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:57 pm

idk if this has been answered already, but does anyone kno wwhich LR question types in the LRB correspond to the LR question types in the Mastery/Orange Book? some of them have the same names like assumption, parallel and paradox but others have diff names and i wana match up the chapters with the sections in the mastery book before i start.
Last edited by T14orBust on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Frb43

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 7:56 pm

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Postby Frb43 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:51 am

T14orBust wrote:idk if this has been answered already, but does anyone who which LR question types in the LRB correspond to the LR question types in the Mastery/Orange Book? some of them have the same names like assumption, parallel and paradox but others have diff names and i wana match up the chapters with the sections in the mastery book before i start.


I know that "inference" is the same as "Must be True".

User avatar
ladyarglwydds

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:37 am

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Postby ladyarglwydds » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:33 pm

Frb43 wrote:
T14orBust wrote:idk if this has been answered already, but does anyone who which LR question types in the LRB correspond to the LR question types in the Mastery/Orange Book? some of them have the same names like assumption, parallel and paradox but others have diff names and i wana match up the chapters with the sections in the mastery book before i start.


I know that "inference" is the same as "Must be True".

I'm laughin at myself for not realizing that sooner, I was perplexed that Kaplan didn't have a "must be true" type. I'm an idiot.
Good question, T14orBust

T14orBust

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Postby T14orBust » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:15 pm

Frb43 wrote:
T14orBust wrote:idk if this has been answered already, but does anyone who which LR question types in the LRB correspond to the LR question types in the Mastery/Orange Book? some of them have the same names like assumption, parallel and paradox but others have diff names and i wana match up the chapters with the sections in the mastery book before i start.


I know that "inference" is the same as "Must be True".


thanks...can any1 who has followed pithypikes guide give me a list of the LRB chapters and wat question types they match up with in the Mastery?

User avatar
pandora

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Postby pandora » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:09 am

ladyarglwydds wrote:
Frb43 wrote:
T14orBust wrote:idk if this has been answered already, but does anyone who which LR question types in the LRB correspond to the LR question types in the Mastery/Orange Book? some of them have the same names like assumption, parallel and paradox but others have diff names and i wana match up the chapters with the sections in the mastery book before i start.


I know that "inference" is the same as "Must be True".

I'm laughin at myself for not realizing that sooner, I was perplexed that Kaplan didn't have a "must be true" type. I'm an idiot.
Good question, T14orBust


For those of you using the kaplan mastery book, if your confused just pay attention the question stems and you'll see how they correspond with the LRB. (for example with the Must be True in the LRB, you can just take note of the question stem and you will notice thats the same as inference in the kaplan book.

hope that helps!

User avatar
Chowder

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Postby Chowder » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:03 am

Nearly all of the suggested books are no longer available on Amazon (with the exception of the "10 More" -- which I keep hearing are outdated since the test's changed so much).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which books I should buy (I already have two of the "10 More" and the PowerScore LG Bible)? My greatest weakness is LG anyway, but I keep missing a handful on LR that I feel could use some improving too.

User avatar
ladyarglwydds

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:37 am

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Postby ladyarglwydds » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:30 am

Chowder wrote:Nearly all of the suggested books are no longer available on Amazon (with the exception of the "10 More" -- which I keep hearing are outdated since the test's changed so much).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which books I should buy (I already have two of the "10 More" and the PowerScore LG Bible)? My greatest weakness is LG anyway, but I keep missing a handful on LR that I feel could use some improving too.


I wouldn't discredit the first 10 actual LSATs too much, as far as LR goes, i don't see much difference between LR sections then to now, except for the fact the language gets a little trickier, but its still definitely good practice. And the LGs are slightly different but if you are working through them you're still training your mind to make certain inferences and deductions etc.

User avatar
neverknow

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Postby neverknow » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:09 pm

Does anyone have a copy of Kaplan Mastery they are willing to sell? I can't find it on amazon.

User avatar
FreeGuy

Bronze
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:42 pm

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Postby FreeGuy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:30 pm

There's a copy of the Mastery Practice book in the first listing here.

Kulax22

Bronze
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:23 am

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Postby Kulax22 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:35 pm

Can you do without the Mastery book?

My assumption was that the LR bible should be OK... otherwise I'll have to track it down. How much is it worth? Are those amazon prices inflated, or actually fair market? :shock:

User avatar
ladyarglwydds

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:37 am

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Postby ladyarglwydds » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:37 pm

I'm doing it without the Mastery book because i couldn't find anywhere that would ship to canada :( so i'm using the LR sections from the next 10 books, and doing the q's by type and difficulty (i get them from Kaplan's online q rater)...
It's not ideal because you don't get explanations, but i think it still offers a lot more practice then doing just the LRB...

Kulax22

Bronze
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:23 am

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Postby Kulax22 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:30 pm

But why do the Mastery Practice if you have the LR Bible? Shouldn't that give you what you need? :|

User avatar
ladyarglwydds

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:37 am

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Postby ladyarglwydds » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:55 pm

Kulax22 wrote:But why do the Mastery Practice if you have the LR Bible? Shouldn't that give you what you need? :|

It tells you how to do it, but it really doesn't give you a lot of practice, so the point of mastery practice is just to be able to practice the skills.

Kulax22

Bronze
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:23 am

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Postby Kulax22 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:42 am

ladyarglwydds wrote:
Kulax22 wrote:But why do the Mastery Practice if you have the LR Bible? Shouldn't that give you what you need? :|

It tells you how to do it, but it really doesn't give you a lot of practice, so the point of mastery practice is just to be able to practice the skills.


You got a point...

Well I will make do with what I have. I like Pithypike's suggestions but I'm not sure how to pace myself. I have free time this summer so I want to do perhaps 3-4 hours a day, 5-6 days a week (unless that isn't enough)

I guess I'll get the Mastery if and only if I feel I need help. Which I might because I hate LR, I get some questions dead wrong.
Last edited by Kulax22 on Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kulax22

Bronze
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:23 am

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Postby Kulax22 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:52 am

One more question: it's not clear to me when to use the 3 copies of each game. When do you actually do the PTs?

I'm guessing you do the first copy of each game as you progress through the Bibles, but when do you know it's time to do the second and third copies?

User avatar
ladyarglwydds

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:37 am

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Postby ladyarglwydds » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:50 am

Kulax22 wrote:One more question: it's not clear to me when to use the 3 copies of each game. When do you actually do the PTs?

I'm guessing you do the first copy of each game as you progress through the Bibles, but when do you know it's time to do the second and third copies?


I do like 5-7 games a day. I do 2/3 new ones and 3-5 repeats, everyday.
I'm doing it over the 3months Pithy suggested, so most of the PTs i'm saving untill the last month, aside from SuperPrep tests, i'm taking one at the end of month1 and the other 2 in the second month.

Kulax22

Bronze
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:23 am

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Postby Kulax22 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:36 pm

ladyarglwydds wrote:
Kulax22 wrote:One more question: it's not clear to me when to use the 3 copies of each game. When do you actually do the PTs?

I'm guessing you do the first copy of each game as you progress through the Bibles, but when do you know it's time to do the second and third copies?


I do like 5-7 games a day. I do 2/3 new ones and 3-5 repeats, everyday.
I'm doing it over the 3months Pithy suggested, so most of the PTs i'm saving untill the last month, aside from SuperPrep tests, i'm taking one at the end of month1 and the other 2 in the second month.


Cool. Are you also working on LR and RC or mainly focusing on games? I'm trying to get my own schedule down. I will hopefully finish LR bible next week, then I hope to work on the LR sections of the PTs and the photocopies of the Games. My assumption is that most of the PTs will be used as sources for these sections, not taken on their own as PTs (until Sept rolls around). I will hopefully get the Mastery book, but until then I figure why not do the LR sections, one or two a day?

prolixpike

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:56 pm

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Postby prolixpike » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:59 pm

You'd better be right about all of this, Pithypike...

Your arch-nemesis,
Prolixpike

User avatar
zettsscores40

Gold
Posts: 2116
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:49 pm

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Postby zettsscores40 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:39 pm

Kind of a stupid question but are these the 10 most recent PP refers to in the OP?

https://os.lsac.org/Release/Shop/PublicationDetail.aspx

User avatar
ladyarglwydds

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:37 am

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Postby ladyarglwydds » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:32 am

i get a timed out error when i look at your link....so i can't see what you are referring to, but this is the book of most recent "next 10s"
http://www.amazon.com/Next-Actual-Official-LSAT-PrepTest/dp/0979305055/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

TomfooleryU

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:23 am

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Postby TomfooleryU » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:56 pm

In the first post, the OP suggested using Kaplan Mastery since Kaplan's Big Orange Book is no longer available. Would I be correct in assuming the Big Orange Book was better, and should be used if one can still procure a copy? I was (potentially) lucky enough to randomly find one when I was cleaning a room in my fraternity house.

User avatar
Stanley Otto Swift

New
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:37 pm

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Postby Stanley Otto Swift » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:21 am

TomfooleryU wrote:In the first post, the OP suggested using Kaplan Mastery since Kaplan's Big Orange Book is no longer available. Would I be correct in assuming the Big Orange Book was better, and should be used if one can still procure a copy? I was (potentially) lucky enough to randomly find one when I was cleaning a room in my fraternity house.



The Big Orange Book was an earlier publication and used questions from earlier exams.

risk_ay

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:22 am

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Postby risk_ay » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:32 pm

Pithypike, I am new to this site, and Mr. Matlock just put me on to this thread, I guess he could tell I just got panicked at the disco. I am glad he did. Thanks for all the hard work!

risk_ay

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:22 am

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Postby risk_ay » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:58 pm

Is there a specific amount of recommended hours per day/week for this plan to be executed ideally?



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests