Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dominicanguy12

New

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Post by dominicanguy12 » Tue May 26, 2015 10:34 pm

I bought all of the Powerscore Bibles and am reading through them/doing the exercises as practice for the October LSAT. I started with RC because it was what I did worst on in my diagnostic, in which I got a 159.

I think I might finish all of them in about 1 month and then start with pithy pike's guide, specifically drilling LG and whatever else I am weak in.

Is this reading the entire bibles a waste of time? Should I be doing something better at this point? Im not sure if diving right in to LG would be helpful at this point.
Last edited by dominicanguy12 on Tue May 26, 2015 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tvu1986

New

Post by tvu1986 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:20 pm

dominicanguy12 wrote:
Is this reading the entire bibles a waste of time? Should I be doing something better at this point? Im not sure if diving right in to LG would be helpful at this point.
Read it all unless you have a solid foundation and can explain the basic gist of each section (which includes all the different types of logic games). But coming from me, I would not focus too much on critical reading because it's just something you cannot necessarily train. You should, therefore, focus more primarily on the parts which are definitely learnable (i.e. types of arguments, setting up logic games, etc...) and may not be your strong points.

I'm taking it in October and one thing that has helped me a lot is to map out your plan onto a wall calendar. This way you stick to your plan and if you deviate, at least you know what you missed the day you were either a) supposed to do a section, b) planned on doing but decided to focus more practice on one section, c) got lazy (like I do a lot of the time).

Good luck.

x.ross

New

Post by x.ross » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:04 pm

3) Do each LGB section in order and work on the respective game types as you progress. For this I usually do 2-3 new games and 3 repeats every day, but it doesn't matter as long as you get it done. Try to keep some separation (24 hours+) between the first and second time you attempt a game.

What does he mean by 2-3 new games and 3 repeats everyday?

Does he do a total of 6-9 new games everyday or he does the same 2-3 games 3 time everyday?

He says keep some separation in between games, but I don't quite understand what he means by this.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:50 pm

Not the same games.

x.ross

New

Post by x.ross » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:56 pm

Okay so he would do several new games everyday?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:08 pm

x.ross wrote:Okay so he would do several new games everyday?
Yeah, you'll have something like 140 games total, so there's no need to hoard games; by the time you get through all of them you'll have forgotten the bulk of them. I'd say do sets of 4 games though, rather than 3.

x.ross

New

Post by x.ross » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:12 pm

Thank you very much!

Mr. Freeze

New

Post by Mr. Freeze » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:05 pm

So I think I have everything I need here to get started. Anyone have any other recommendations to add to the list?

Cambridge Logic Games by Type, Volume 1,2,3
The PowerScore LG and LR Bible
Three 10 actual lsat prep tests
lsat superprerp

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:11 pm

Mr. Freeze wrote:So I think I have everything I need here to get started. Anyone have any other recommendations to add to the list?

lsat superprerp
Looks solid.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hoping4HLS

New

Post by Hoping4HLS » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:45 am

Mr. Freeze wrote:So I think I have everything I need here to get started. Anyone have any other recommendations to add to the list?

lsat superprerp
definitely enough to start you off.

RedRaider11

New

Post by RedRaider11 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:23 pm

I apologize in advance if this question has already been addressed in previous comments, but I am curious if anyone has had any experience with the LSAT Superprep II (which covers PT62 Dec '10, and PT63 June '11), and if this is recommended to be used in addition to the previous version?

Thanks

lizzielemon

Bronze

Post by lizzielemon » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:45 pm

lsat superprerp
Where do I buy the Cambridge logic games by type?

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:46 pm

lizzielemon wrote:

lsat superprerp
You can get them on amazon

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:21 pm

lizzielemon wrote:

lsat superprerp
Seems like they are no longer available on the Cambridge LSAT site. That is unfortunate. It used to be that you could just download a PDF that included games-by-type. Since that no longer exists, I'll tell you what I did (another option would be to look around for digital copies of the old Cambridge PDFs).

First, purchase the first three books in the "10 LSATs" series from LSAT. This will get you 30 tests worth of games, or 120 games altogether. Second, rip the "games" out from the books and sort them by type. For help sorting by type, use this site: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/lo ... types.html . Third, make copies of the games. Now you'll have games by type!

Hope this helps!

lizzielemon

Bronze

Post by lizzielemon » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:24 am

Pneumonia wrote:
lizzielemon wrote:

lsat superprerp
Seems like they are no longer available on the Cambridge LSAT site. That is unfortunate. It used to be that you could just download a PDF that included games-by-type. Since that no longer exists, I'll tell you what I did (another option would be to look around for digital copies of the old Cambridge PDFs).

First, purchase the first three books in the "10 LSATs" series from LSAT. This will get you 30 tests worth of games, or 120 games altogether. Second, rip the "games" out from the books and sort them by type. For help sorting by type, use this site: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/lo ... types.html . Third, make copies of the games. Now you'll have games by type!

Hope this helps!
I know, it isn't available anymore :( thanks for the advice! I think I'll just do that.

HiLine

Bronze

Post by HiLine » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:54 am

BlackJack wrote:I think most people prep in the same way, regardless of whether you do the following consciously or unconsciously and whether you take a course or not.

Phase 1: Accuracy
You basically need to learn the theory of the LSAT and then do drills of a certain concept (whether it is LG/LR/RC) until you are accurate, untimed. Prep courses have the theory and questions already laid out for you. Self-preppers will need to buy the bibles, study them and photocopy and sort questions themselves. Some self-prep don't do drills and go straight to doing sections, albeit untimed. I think you'll reinforce the concepts better if you do drills while learning the theory.

Phase 2: Speed
Hopefully, you didn't use up all of the LSATs on drills and you have some whole sections you can do, timed. But only one section at a time. You are just now working on timing because hopefully, your accuracy and understanding of LSAT theory is sound.

Phase 3: Endurance
At this point, you should be able to finish any section in less than 35 minutes (with bubbling) and so you need to build endurance to be able to do 5 sections in a row.

That's the way I see it anyway.
This post changed my life.

UtopianCitizen

New

Post by UtopianCitizen » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:05 pm

Any update to this guide?

I'm following this as my main study guide for the September 24th LSATs and I have the most current POwerscore Bibles (2015) and I noticed some discrepancies between the study guide and the books:

1) The guide doesn't go in chapter order which is not a big issue at all, but I thought some people might find it useful to know in advance.
2) some of the question types in the LR Bible aren't noted in this guide those are:
Must Be True/ Most Strongly Supported
Conditional reasoning (This was a big one for me)
Cause and Effect Reasoning
Justify the Conclusion
Formal logic
Method of Reasoning
Numbers and Percentages
Evaluate the Argument
Cannot Be True
3) Inferences, as noted in this guide, isn't a specific section in the LR Bible.

I'm guessing PS changed names of question types or grouped/ungrouped some questions types, has anyone else encountered this or have a solution for it?

Thanks a million!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:33 am

UtopianCitizen wrote:Any update to this guide?

I'm following this as my main study guide for the September 24th LSATs and I have the most current POwerscore Bibles (2015) and I noticed some discrepancies between the study guide and the books:

1) The guide doesn't go in chapter order which is not a big issue at all, but I thought some people might find it useful to know in advance.
2) some of the question types in the LR Bible aren't noted in this guide those are:
Justify the Conclusion
Formal logic
Method of Reasoning
Numbers and Percentages
Evaluate the Argument
Cannot Be True
3) Inferences, as noted in this guide, isn't a specific section in the LR Bible.

I'm guessing PS changed names of question types or grouped/ungrouped some questions types, has anyone else encountered this or have a solution for it?

Thanks a million!

https://www.cambridgelsat.com/resources ... ion-types/

There ya go. That will help you translate the names that Powerscore uses.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UtopianCitizen

New

Post by UtopianCitizen » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:25 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:

Justify the Conclusion
Formal logic
Method of Reasoning
Numbers and Percentages
Evaluate the Argument
Cannot Be True

Thanks a million!

Thank you so much ! This saved me a lot of time and confusion.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:41 pm

UtopianCitizen wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

Justify the Conclusion
Formal logic
Method of Reasoning
Numbers and Percentages
Evaluate the Argument
Cannot Be True

Thanks a million!

Thank you so much ! This saved me a lot of time and confusion.
My pleasure!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WeightliftingThinker

Bronze

Post by WeightliftingThinker » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:30 pm

"3) Do each LGB section in order and work on the respective game types as you progress. For this I usually do 2-3 new games and 3 repeats every day, but it doesn't matter as long as you get it done. Try to keep some separation (24 hours+) between the first and second time you attempt a game."

I'm unclear as to what this means. 2-3 new games of the same type and 3 repeats of the same type and game?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Deardevil

Bronze

Post by Deardevil » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:45 pm

WeightliftingThinker wrote:"3) Do each LGB section in order and work on the respective game types as you progress. For this I usually do 2-3 new games and 3 repeats every day, but it doesn't matter as long as you get it done. Try to keep some separation (24 hours+) between the first and second time you attempt a game."

I'm unclear as to what this means. 2-3 new games of the same type and 3 repeats of the same type and game?
If you've done one game yesterday, only redo that game after some time (24 hours is being suggested).
Apparently, pithypike did three games one day, then revisited those three the next day, adding two new ones in order to bump it up to five.
Then, the next day was those two from the day prior, and two new ones were added, etc.

WeightliftingThinker

Bronze

Post by WeightliftingThinker » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:13 pm

Deardevil wrote:
WeightliftingThinker wrote:"3) Do each LGB section in order and work on the respective game types as you progress. For this I usually do 2-3 new games and 3 repeats every day, but it doesn't matter as long as you get it done. Try to keep some separation (24 hours+) between the first and second time you attempt a game."

If you've done one game yesterday, only redo that game after some time (24 hours is being suggested).
Apparently, pithypike did three games one day, then revisited those three the next day, adding two new ones in order to bump it up to five.
Then, the next day was those two from the day prior, and two new ones were added, etc.
I'm assuming those three games, as well as the two new ones, are all different.

For example, three different basic linear games followed by two advanced linear games.

Deardevil

Bronze

Post by Deardevil » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:19 pm

WeightliftingThinker wrote: I'm assuming those three games, as well as the two new ones, are all different.

For example, three different basic linear games followed by two advanced linear games.
Not necessarily.

pithypike went in order, so linear, advanced linear, grouping, etc.
However, the ReChallenge at the end did mix everything up,
but until you're comfortable with the types first, I wouldn't suggest doing it.

You can do three basic and two advanced, but five grouping would be fine as long as two or three,
in staying consistent with this technique, are from the day before.

WeightliftingThinker

Bronze

Post by WeightliftingThinker » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:24 pm

Deardevil wrote:
WeightliftingThinker wrote: I'm assuming those three games, as well as the two new ones, are all different.

Not necessarily.

pithypike went in order, so linear, advanced linear, grouping, etc.
However, the ReChallenge at the end did mix everything up,
but until you're comfortable with the types first, I wouldn't suggest doing it.

You can do three basic and two advanced, but five grouping would be fine as long as two or three,
in staying consistent with this technique, are from the day before.
Thanks.

By the way, there's no mention in the OP to review the game after completing it. Do you know what the consensus is on that?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”