Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Deardevil

Bronze

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Post by Deardevil » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:40 pm

WeightliftingThinker wrote: Thanks.

By the way, there's no mention in the OP to review the game after completing it. Do you know what the consensus is on that?
Are you at the level of timing?

I just go on to the next game after recording how long I take for the previous.
If I happen to go beyond my eight-minute limit, I would redo it on the spot;
maybe my diagram was wonky or I approached a question from a bad angle.

Reviewing right after a game doesn't seem a suitable route to take; I don't see the benefit.
You should jump straight to the next like you would on test day, building endurance.
Regardless, I think you should figure out what works best for you.

WeightliftingThinker

Bronze

Post by WeightliftingThinker » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:03 pm

I have been following this guide for LG for at least a week. In my first try, I run out of time and make a few mistakes, but then do much better after a few more tries of the same game. I then move on to a new game. The problem is that this is happening on almost every new game. There are a few lessons I am learning, but they do not seem to translate into high speed and accuracy yet.

AimingHigher

New

Post by AimingHigher » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:27 am

Wow- this schedule is set up for the exact period of time (3 months) that I plan to study for my second LSAT. I will definitely use this, maybe with a few tweaks as per TLS1776's Thoughts on the LSAT. Thank you for the great advice!

camelia

New

Post by camelia » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:51 pm

This guide and the comments associated with it have been very helpful in beginning my LSAT preparation, so thank you! I have a quick question. I am interested in purchasing the Cambridge "by type" bundles that many people have suggested as a replacement for Kaplan Mastery. Based on my research on the Cambridge website and the TLS forums, it seems that these bundles are no longer available for purchase. Is there an ideal replacement for the Cambridge "by type" bundles? I am interested in using these bundles to drill by question type, if that helps. Thank you!

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:48 am

camelia wrote:This guide and the comments associated with it have been very helpful in beginning my LSAT preparation, so thank you! I have a quick question. I am interested in purchasing the Cambridge "by type" bundles that many people have suggested as a replacement for Kaplan Mastery. Based on my research on the Cambridge website and the TLS forums, it seems that these bundles are no longer available for purchase. Is there an ideal replacement for the Cambridge "by type" bundles? I am interested in using these bundles to drill by question type, if that helps. Thank you!
Power score has two volumes of Game by Type and Question by Type books comparable to what Cambridge packets are. This is what I used and they are very helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

camelia

New

Post by camelia » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:39 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
camelia wrote:This guide and the comments associated with it have been very helpful in beginning my LSAT preparation, so thank you! I have a quick question. I am interested in purchasing the Cambridge "by type" bundles that many people have suggested as a replacement for Kaplan Mastery. Based on my research on the Cambridge website and the TLS forums, it seems that these bundles are no longer available for purchase. Is there an ideal replacement for the Cambridge "by type" bundles? I am interested in using these bundles to drill by question type, if that helps. Thank you!
Power score has two volumes of Game by Type and Question by Type books comparable to what Cambridge packets are. This is what I used and they are very helpful.
Thank you! I plan on ordering the PowerScore books. I'm trying to decide between volumes one and two. I'm leaning towards one because:
  • - All three books of volume one are available on Amazon
    - Volume one would allow me to save the higher numbered PTs for later in my studying
    - I don't already own any of PTs 1-20 in "10 Actual" book form (I own 29-38, which would be in volume two)
My only concern is that it may not be wise to begin my studying with the oldest PTs, since I've heard the test has changed at least somewhat in difficulty.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:15 pm

camelia wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Thank you! I plan on ordering the PowerScore books. I'm trying to decide between volumes one and two. I'm leaning towards one because:
  • - All three books of volume one are available on Amazon
    - Volume one would allow me to save the higher numbered PTs for later in my studying
    - I don't already own any of PTs 1-20 in "10 Actual" book form (I own 29-38, which would be in volume two)
My only concern is that it may not be wise to begin my studying with the oldest PTs, since I've heard the test has changed at least somewhat in difficulty.
Start with Volume I and if your prep allows complete II as well. By the end, you will definitely want to be prepping and PTing with the most recent tests, but def want to start out earlier. I think generally people Practice and Drill with PTs 1-40 and then PT 41+. And there is definitely an evolution in the LSATs history, but its not drastic where an LG on Test 1 is completely different than 50..Same foundational skills are required and 1-20 is great for a foundation/starting point.

sharpie202

New

Post by sharpie202 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:44 pm

Does anyone have a day-to-day LSAT study schedule? I have found all of this advice super helpful, but am looking for a day-to-day "workout" plan to break the studying down even more. I know this may vary from person-to-person, but a template to start off would be valuable!

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:05 pm

sharpie202 wrote:Does anyone have a day-to-day LSAT study schedule? I have found all of this advice super helpful, but am looking for a day-to-day "workout" plan to break the studying down even more. I know this may vary from person-to-person, but a template to start off would be valuable!
Best is to tailor studying to your needs.

I always liked PithyPike's guide.

I have a guide I wrote which breaks things down by month with slightly more direction here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 16#p136016

But what you actually do on a day to day basis varies depending on your current strengths and weaknesses.

Expect to invest 2-3 hours every weekday and another 5-10 hours over the weekend. Gets you to 20 hours a week. Do that for 3 months in an organized, disciplined manner and you should do quite well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Whamper

New

Post by Whamper » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:50 pm

This is a great guide but I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. I already have the PowerScore bibles (LGB, LRB, RCB) as well as PowerScore Game Type Training (PTs 1-20) and Logical Reasoning Question Type Training (also 1-20). I was planning on following PowerScore's own 6 month self-study guide but I think PithyPike's makes more sense.

My question is does anyone have any experience with PowerScore's Game Type and Question Type? Will these do the job of Kaplan Mastery that PithyPike originally suggested? Or is it better to invest in a used copy of Kaplan Mastery or Cambridge anyways? GT/QT have the games listed in chronological order by question type, but there's no difficulty hierarchy or explanations like Kaplan Mastery. Wondering if that really maters?

Margaret99

New

Post by Margaret99 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:03 am

sharpie202 wrote:Does anyone have a day-to-day LSAT study schedule? I have found all of this advice super helpful, but am looking for a day-to-day "workout" plan to break the studying down even more. I know this may vary from person-to-person, but a template to start off would be valuable!
I have the same question.

Has anyone tried using the LSAT Trainer schedules?

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:24 pm

Margaret99 wrote:
I have the same question.

Has anyone tried using the LSAT Trainer schedules?
I did! I'm an idiot about starting the prep late because I learned later on what works for me... ANYWHOOOO, I did the first three weeks of the 4-week schedule and it worked really great. I liked the pace and the organization of the Trainer, and the idea that you should do 5-10 questions, review, 5-10 questions review mindset.

Diulm118

New

Post by Diulm118 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:54 pm

I cannot find (or see) the actual study guide. Was it taken down? I only see the comments..

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CR7fanboy

New

Post by CR7fanboy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:18 pm

Diulm118 wrote:I cannot find (or see) the actual study guide. Was it taken down? I only see the comments..
Exactly. I cannot find the guide either. Can someone please assist us as to how can we access the Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide?

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:59 pm

Diulm118 wrote:I cannot find (or see) the actual study guide. Was it taken down? I only see the comments..
It's the very first post of this now super long many pages of posts thread.

It's not a specific day to day/week to week 'do this on this day' calendar type study plan/schedule, but instead is a general guide with suggestions about how to go about studying/prepping using LSAT resources that were available 10 years ago (when this thread was started with the posting of the guide).

Those 'do X and Y this day' calendar type study guide schedules are kinda dumb anyway since different people learn and improve at different paces, start prepping with vastly different baseline LSAT diagnostic/practice test scores, have different target goal scores, end up having different weaknesses they need to spend more time working on, have varying amounts of time available to prep each week, need to prep for different amounts of time to achieve their target score range, fall behind or work ahead of the schedule, etc.

In short, one size fits all study schedules aren't a good idea/very useful due to the nature of the test and various individual differences between people. Prepping effectively for the LSAT to achieve ones particular goals requires tailoring your schedule, prep efforts and focus to your individual circumstances, strengths and weaknesses and rate of improvement. Also, what works for one person may not work for somebody else (this applies to the various available prep books from different companies and different prep courses), meaning that there is no magical guaranteed to work for you study guide/plan, set of prep books/guides, prep course, methods, etc. With each, YMMV so you may have to try different things and make adjustments as you go to figure out what works best for you to help you hopefully get to your goal score.

ksteen

New

Post by ksteen » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:31 pm

From looking at tables of contents for LRB and the Kaplan LR guide, LRB and Kaplan differ in how they categorize LR question types. This is tripping up my study planning. I'm just starting out, so I'm not confident making a call on which resource to rely more heavily on. I'd rather pick just one and stick with it for consistency.

Any words of advice from more experienced LR preppers who are familiar with both resources?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”