Scored 143 2nd LSAT, and 141 1st. Serious advice please*

TomTank77

Scored 143 2nd LSAT, and 141 1st. Serious advice please*

Postby TomTank77 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:25 pm

Alright looks guys, I know that this is called "top law schools" and I definetely do not fit into that category, but I really need some sound and honest advice. Please not rude remarks, I know you have better scores, etc...

I have a LSAC GPA of 2.84 (like 3.7 in major). My undergrad was in English-Professional and Technical writing. I took my first LSAT in December 05, and after only taking a couple of practice test, I got a 141. But I was scoring in the high 150's on all my practice. I finally determined that I must have been taking old test, and therefore easier than recent.

After 2 1/2 years, I enrolled in a Kaplan course and on my Kaplan Diagnostic I scored a 141 again. I studied my but off for this second test (June 08) and I only pulled a 143, which I though could have been in the mid 150's.

Anyways, I was hoping to get into Barry University or Gulf Coast, something in FL because I live in Tampa Bay area. I'm a cancer survivor and I can probably declare NA as race (although I'm working on getting a bloodline card (I'm 1/8)). Anyways, I need some honest advice-Can I possibly get into a lower level score (Barry) or should I just face reality and move on? Kaplan says I can retake the class again for free for October, but I honestly do not feel that they helped me and I did all the work. I don't know that after 2 1/2 years not making a difference it's worth the stress and feelings of "crap".

Please give some advice and no I don't want to be 'chanced' YHS :oops:

ender311

Re: Scored 143 2nd LSAT, and 141 1st. Serious advice please*

Postby ender311 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:26 pm

individual tutoring. seriously, coming from both a student and teacher, find someone who has scored high and can communicate effectively, while making you feel comfortable.

Baron

Postby Baron » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:34 pm

When you say, "studied your butt off." Break down your exact method of preparation. Methods used, hours spent, time dedicated. In short how did you go about preparing for this test?

TomTank77

Postby TomTank77 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:39 pm

Baron wrote:When you say, "studied your butt off." Break down your exact method of preparation. Methods used, hours spent, time dedicated. In short how did you go about preparing for this test?

Did the Kaplan lesson plans, then did Mastery practice and looked at explainations for right and wrong answers, did this also for Pacing practice and on all individual sections. I took at least 1 practice test a week, with test like conditions. I also took 4 under Kaplan monitoring.

aguyingeorgia

Postby aguyingeorgia » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:47 pm

How much time are you putting in? Daily? Weekly? Monthly? What are you doing to prepare exactly?

My first advice is get the powerscore bibles. All of them. Then my next bit would be to put about 3 months of solid studying in, every single day. Find a tutor. Take the powerscore or TM class.

blackacre

Postby blackacre » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:51 pm

In all honesty I would advise you to find another line of employment. My girlfriend is in almost the exact same boat as you and I am trying to convince her to look elsewhere. The reason is I feel the LSAT is representative of how you will do in Law School. Yes it's about a lot of "useless" stuff but so is law school. It sounds like you were working hard not smart in your LSAT studying if you pulled those scores after an entire Kaplan course. I just remind you that you will have to take the bar exam. That will be more difficult of exam and you will have much more on the line. Going to a TTT will hurt you serverley in the long run. Especially in FL, you may have a difficult time finding a job. Since your tuition will be about the same for those low tier schools as it would be for say, UF, UM, or Stetson, you have to think if you will have a job that will allow you to pay that back. Otherwise you will be in some kind of bind down the road.

If you are fully set on getting in to law your best option is to take the course again and change something in your approach to studying. A high LSAT is the only thing that will counter your GPA. You want to get into the best school available. Good luck.

MissVirginia

Postby MissVirginia » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:54 pm

If law is your goal, I certainly wouldn't write it off just yet. If you need to come up on the LSAT, I echo the recommendation for private tutoring. Classroom courses are often more geared to students scoring in a similar range, and for those at either extremes, low or high, one-on-one can often work much better. I would also recommend reaching out to the schools in which you are interested and discussing your chances. In my experience, schools were very receptive to discussing my potential candidacy and the likelihood of admission. Now is a good time to reach out, as they are gearing up for late summer/ early fall recruiting, and aren't awash in the winter applications yet.

Good luck to you!

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:56 pm

Private tutoring. Something about your studying isn't working, and you need someone to work with you one on one. Give that a shot and see if you can improve.
Good luck.

vjm

Postby vjm » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:17 pm

If it is any consolation, I have heard nothing but bad things about Kaplan. excellent advice here to go with individual tutoring.

Good luck! I am not at all convinced that the LSAT is predictive for everyone, but a low score is a barrier to admission.

Baron

Postby Baron » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:37 pm

Nothing is ever totally lost. Look at what your goals are. Depending on what you want to do, or what state your in. One of these so called lower tier schools still isn't a bad option. For example consider local politics. I watched a female recently beat the crap out of some guy in a primary for a Criminal Court Of Appeals seat. Thorough and proper! He went to some top tier school. Got destroyed. lol She will probably end up as a judge presiding over cases of some of you aspiring lawyers. Don't get too cocky. She also didn't go to law school until she was 36! I can name several judges, state reps, and other public officials to this extent.

Ok back to practicing law. If you feel called to do it. (I'm not telling you to do anything.) I would go ahead and do it, because if it's your calling it will work out. Won't matter what you get on some test. What's the guys name who ran Gore's legal defense team? Saw him on CSPAN several weeks ago. He didn't get into any law school of his choice! You think he listened to some bs like, "it's not for you." He eventually got into American University. Now has an exclusive Supreme Court practice! And btw, Gore almost won. Some argue he did! lol

I could go on and on. I know people who rocked the LSAT and never practiced squat. They were just good in school. Others that went to so called lower tier schools, but could get your ass out of a mess in a second. Which is what many of our jobs are going to be about anyway. Solving problems, helping people. If you love the job your likely to find success is all I'm saying.

Careful asking some advice on this board. :lol: It isn't all tested by real life experience.

TomTank77

Postby TomTank77 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:52 pm

Thank you all for your advice. I think I'm kindda at a reflection point right now...again! I am going to attempt to contact the schools that I "might" have a shot to getting in to (Barry, Nova Southeaster, Gulf Coast), after the 4th of July Holiday. I want see what they say, although I'm hoping they don't say "sure, apply" just to get some application money. I was hoping to go into school in the Fall of 09', so I guess I do have plently of time.

I love law and I hope this goes the way it's "suppose to be".

Also, what do all of you thing about these summer programs, where you have to get good grades for the summer and then are admitted fully for the fall?

Thanks and I look forward to anymore advice that can be offered. Happy 4th! :D

vjm

Postby vjm » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:07 pm

I would seriously caution you about the schools you mentioned. One of them might be the right place for you, but many (most) graduates experience the combination of a very high debt load and poor employment prospects upon graduation.

Be very, very careful about going to these schools. Do not let anecdotal evidence sway you. Assume you will be at or below median and then see what your prospects are for employment. There are so many factors that go into choosing a school that it is impossible to judge someone else's choice. A T3/4 that places well in its region may be perfect for many reasons.

Just go into it with your eyes open and a realistic picture of what could happen.

n4sir1999

Postby n4sir1999 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:43 pm

aguyingeorgia wrote:How much time are you putting in? Daily? Weekly? Monthly? What are you doing to prepare exactly?

My first advice is get the powerscore bibles. All of them. Then my next bit would be to put about 3 months of solid studying in, every single day. Find a tutor. Take the powerscore or TM class.

TITCR...get the bibles and Bunches of LSATS

TomTank77

Postby TomTank77 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:10 pm

Guys I have the bibles and have studied them. I also have probably taken about 50 full length LSATs during the last 2 1/2 years.

I have a question about early decision- Can trying early decision at one of these lower tier schools, help my chances of getting in?

How does Early Decision work?

Thanks

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”