GRE LSAT Conversion and Chances of T14 Admission

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
sturm

New

GRE LSAT Conversion and Chances of T14 Admission

Postby sturm » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:16 pm

Hi, I just took my GRE test and scored 160 on Verbal and 162 on Quant. My GPA is 3.9/4.3 and I'm currently working in the banking industry. Been thinking about applying law schools and am now wondering if the GRE to LSAT conversion chart made by ETS (https://www.ets.org/gre/institutions/admissions/interpretation_resources/law_comparison_tool/)
is accurate (322 equals to 166). In addition, what will my chances be when applying T14 schools with only these GRE scores? Comments are appreciated.

cavalier1138

Re: GRE LSAT Conversion and Chances of T14 Admission

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:28 pm

I wouldn't bother with conversion tools, because a number of schools that consider GRE applicants explicitly state that they only consider them in specific situations (i.e. non-traditional applicants with a fair amount of experience or a graduate degree).

If you're seriously interested in law school, the LSAT is still the right test to take.

The Lsat Airbender

Bronze

Postby The Lsat Airbender » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:54 pm

The above is correct, and I'd like to add that even if we take the calculators as gospel, 3.9/166 is on the soft side for T14 admissions, especially since you're disqualifying yourself from several T14 schools.

Dipsychus

New

Postby Dipsychus » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:28 am

cavalier1138 wrote:I wouldn't bother with conversion tools, because a number of schools that consider GRE applicants explicitly state that they only consider them in specific situations (i.e. non-traditional applicants with a fair amount of experience or a graduate degree).

If you're seriously interested in law school, the LSAT is still the right test to take.

Have law schools said that about the GRE explicitly? All I've read (on most sites) is that "we don't have a preference" and "holistic review" etc. Has any school said the test (or conversion tools by ETS) will be considered only for a small subset of students?

As for ETS's GRE to LSAT conversion tool: (a) ETS has revenue skin in the game; (b) there's a plus-minus margin of error of five (5) points; (b) even a perfect 170 in the Quant section, 170, is "only" 96%ile -- and I'm not sure how experienced file readers are with combining the three GRE scores (different percentile ranges) into one composite score like the LSAT.

That having been said, GRE-only applicants do get into some T14 schools (Harvard, Northwestern, GULC) -- in small numbers (which could simply be a reflection of how few go the GRE-only, we don't have much data yet).

enz2103

New

Postby enz2103 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:01 am

Dipsychus wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:I wouldn't bother with conversion tools, because a number of schools that consider GRE applicants explicitly state that they only consider them in specific situations (i.e. non-traditional applicants with a fair amount of experience or a graduate degree).

Have law schools said that about the GRE explicitly? All I've read (on most sites) is that "we don't have a preference" and "holistic review" etc. Has any school said the test (or conversion tools by ETS) will be considered only for a small subset of students?

https://www.law.berkeley.edu/article/be ... pplicants/

nixy

Gold

Postby nixy » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:26 am

Dipsychus wrote:Has any school said the test (or conversion tools by ETS) will be considered only for a small subset of students?

Has any school said anything about the ETS conversion tools? I thought that was one of the issues, no one knows yet how schools treat scores. ETS wanting to make money off of the conversion doesn’t mean that law schools follow it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?