Multiple retakes not great for T7? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
superorganism

New

Multiple retakes not great for T7?

Post by superorganism » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:20 am

I just had an introductory phone call with an admissions consultant that I was thinking about retaining. I am not going to specify which firm/consultant for privacy reasons. I told the consultant that I wanted to retake the LSAT in November to boost my chances at T7, especially HY, as my LSAT is at median and my GPA is below median. The consultant said hard no--retaking would make me look obsessive and multiple LSAT takes look bad at T7. I am inclined to 100% believe the consultant as his/her background is rooted in law school admissions. I just can't shake off the feeling though that a retake with a higher score could only be to my advantage. I am sure I can score above my high score of 173 because I have taken five PT's (most recent five) since the June exam and scored above 176 on all of them (even scored a 179).

BACKGROUND:
I have taken the LSAT four times before my high score. My score history looks like this: 157-->157-->162-->167-->173. I had a medical issue that I was going through but have since overcome, which resulted in a score increase of 167 upwards. In hindsight, I should have waited for when I was truly ready for the exam, but I was under pressure from my family to take the test and apply to law school or else they would withdraw their offer to pay for law school. But I am my own person and so over that bs! I am going to be writing an addendum to give law schools some context.

I just wanted to gather your thoughts on this issue. Retake? Don't retake and shoot to apply before Thanksgiving? Will I really look obsessive/crazy? Are multiple retakes a deal-breaker at T7?

Npret

Gold

Re: Multiple retakes not great for T7?

Post by Npret » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:20 pm

I would listen to the consultant. When I read your title, I thought I would disagree. If you had taken it once or twice, I would disagree.

You’ve taken the LSAT 5 times already and have a good score. An admission officer will see your improvement and that is what you need. Another few points is not going to get you into Yale or Harvard.

The consultant is correct that you are going to seem obsessed with the exam. From your post it seems you actually are obsessed.

Let it go and focus on the rest of your application.

superorganism

New

Re: Multiple retakes not great for T7?

Post by superorganism » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:19 pm

Npret wrote:I would listen to the consultant. When I read your title, I thought I would disagree. If you had taken it once or twice, I would disagree.

You’ve taken the LSAT 5 times already and have a good score. An admission officer will see your improvement and that is what you need. Another few points is not going to get you into Yale or Harvard.

The consultant is correct that you are going to seem obsessed with the exam. From your post it seems you actually are obsessed.

Let it go and focus on the rest of your application.
Thank you! I needed that. Somebody throw cold water at me, please.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”