Need advice on what to do

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Chinston Wurchill

New

Need advice on what to do

Postby Chinston Wurchill » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:15 pm

I'm currently working (75K/year) and plan to apply this cycle. I'm trying to decide if I should leave my job to study the LSAT full-time. I took the LSAT for the first time in July and got a 167 which is below where I have been PTing in the winter (172-178 in 18/20 PTs). The problem is that I'm working 65+ hrs every week with a 2 hour commute each day and I'm exhausted and stressed out. (I took that LSAT after a really long work week too). I started my job in January after I graduated and I've been working for about 9 months now. I've also accumulated some savings. From a purely admissions outcome, is leaving my job and saying that on an application going to harm my application if I haven't been there a year? My thought is even 3 extra points will be worth it. Also, I'm a splitter with a 3.3 gpa, so LSAT is extra important. With busy season starting for us, hours are only going to go up, and with that less time to study, more stress, and exhaustion. What should I do? Please help :cry:

Mccoyology

New

Re: Need advice on what to do

Postby Mccoyology » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:46 am

When you find the answer to this let me know, at least your PT'ing around 167... I cant stop working because of family issues but it seems like you have specific question type issues just get a tutor and focus on your struggle areas.

Blueprint LSAT

Partner

Re: Need advice on what to do

Postby Blueprint LSAT » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:17 pm

While I'm not an admissions officer myself, I've found that schools care more about your numbers and your likely ability as a student than your job history. Unless your resume sends up big red flags that indicate your inability to hold down a job I doubt you need to worry too much about a short gap in employment that can obviously be explained by the exact reasons you are suggesting taking it.

That being said, I would consider all the factors carefully. Law school is not a guaranteed path to better compensation or less stress than you are currently experiencing even if all goes perfectly. If you are definitely all-in and have considered all that, then a 170+ will definitely help you in your admissions goals more than a small gap in employment would hurt it, just be aware of the other risks.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�